PDA

View Full Version : Pacer Coach and team talk about off season/next season

Bball
05-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Team Analyzes Needs For ’06-07

By Conrad Brunner | May 5, 2006
With his epic 40-point performance Thursday night, Anthony Johnson earned the platform to voice his opinion about what is needed to ensure a more successful, less controversial, 2006-07 season for the Pacers. But he was far from the only member of the team to make his feelings know.

With the conclusion of the 2005-06 season, in fact, there was much less talk about the reasons the Pacers lost their first-round series to the Nets than of the future of the roster. The franchise leaders that will make those decisions are CEO and President Donnie Walsh and President of Basketball Larry Bird, and we will hear from them soon.

After the 96-90 loss to the Nets in Conseco Fieldhouse, there were a variety of opinions offered from within the team about the possibility for offseason change.

By way of background, Eddie Gill and Scot Pollard both will become free agents July 1. Fred Jones could also become a free agent if the Pacers choose not to make a qualifying offer. Even if they do, he will be a restricted free agent, with the Pacers holding the right of first refusal. Peja Stojakovic has said he will opt out of the final season of his contract to become a free agent.

We will let the participants tell the rest of this story in their own words. All are listed in alphabetical order.

Coach Rick Carlisle
"There's always talk of change every summer with every NBA franchise and every franchise is scrutinized very closely at the end of the year. … If you look at the situation and the fact we had over 200 man-games missed, if you count the period in December and January where Ron Artest was out of the lineup and we really didn't have a player, there's some real hope, if we can get healthy. I think that's something our fans have got to look at. I don't know how much change there's going to be. I really don't. There could be significant change and then again it could be very moderate. It's hard to predict but there have been a lot of good things that happened this year in the midst of a lot of trying times, as well. …

"If you look at the number of games missed due to injury and other things and the fact we've got some young guys that got a lot of experience this year, this situation may not be as far from getting really back in the right place as it may appear. I think there will be changes. To what extent it's very hard to say right now. Those decisions will be made by Larry and Donnie."

Power Forward Austin Croshere
"Obviously, we underachieved this year and guys are disappointed with the way we played for extended periods during the year. We did turn things around at the end of the year and showed that maybe we’re not as far off from where we want to be as things were during stretches of the year. I don’t think anybody will be surprised if there’s changes. How many and how big those changes are, nobody really knows. …

"We have as fun-loving of a group of guys as I’ve ever been around. Do we have chemistry problems? Yeah. Do we have them all the time? No. It’s a frustrating thing because there’s times where we showed that we had great chemistry, guys played really well out there, they’re happy for each other, they’re cheering. We turned things around with six games left in the regular season. We played well in the playoffs. But you can’t do things one way for extended periods of time in this league and hope that you’re just going to turn it around. …

"We definitely underachieved and we didn’t play to our potential. It’s disappointing but I think this team has a lot of talent. I don’t know how easy it is to get rid of talent for equal talent, chemistry-wise. It’s a difficult question to answer. "

Small Forward Danny Granger
"It was a big whirlwind. More like a tornado. With the trade that happened and various injuries, it seemed like we were never full strength throughout the season. I’ve been told this isn’t a typical NBA season with all the adversity that we went through. But we made the playoffs. We made a small push. We’ve got to prepare for next year now. …

"I don’t think he (Carlisle) necessarily lost this team. We had so many issues that messed with the cohesiveness of the team. We couldn’t get it together. At one point, this person was out, that person was out, key players. We started so many different lineups because of the injury situations that it would have been hard for any coach to coach the team. "

Shooting Guard Stephen Jackson
"Everybody needs to be healthy. There’s a lot of things we need. I don’t know man, it’s been rough. It’s been rough the two years I’ve been here. There’s been a lot. Obviously, I had to take the blame for a lot of stuff since I’ve been here. That’s part of my job. I love it. I love everybody that I play with here. I love the coaches. I love everybody. If I’m not here next year, I don’t have any bad blood. …

"I think it was so much negativity going around that it got kind of contagious. Sometimes people were talking about one another. The team wasn’t always together all the time. It was an up-and-down rocky year. When the team’s not together it’s going to show out there on the court."

Point Guard Anthony Johnson
"I think the culture has to change. Sometimes there's a lack of professionalism and there's a lack of understanding that we need to give more effort to the team situation and not think about individual success and individual wants and needs. That being said, that culture's going to have to change.

"We've had a tough two years here with the brawl and all that last year and this year, just always being involved in some kind of controversy, we make things difficult on ourselves. You can deal with injuries but when the culture's not good it makes things a lot more difficult and it makes the season difficult."

Shooting Guard Fred Jones
"At this point, you really can’t speculate. You have to just let everything die down. Then you go back and look at it. Then you make decisions. You can’t make decisions on the spur of the moment right now for a franchise. …

"Every team has chemistry issues. We’re not the only team that goes through that. That happens on the 82-game season. Different things are going to change regardless. We’ve just got to fight through it and deal with it."

Power Forward Jermaine O'Neal
"First of all, get another big guy. We've got to get a big guy that can block some shots and kind of relieve me. The toughest part for me is to have to go box to box, fight one guy, fight another guy, spin, try to get the rebound, try to block the shot, try to score. Over a period of time, that takes a lot out of your body.

"Obviously, I'm not the biggest, strongest guy in the world, so my body would be better off if we get a center that can absorb some of that pounding and let me move around a little bit more. Personally, that would be the first thing I hope this team addresses."

Small Forward Peja Stojakovic
"It’s the first time I’ve been a free agent in my career. I liked the organization from the first time I got here. I was really accepted well. Unfortunately, we had some ups-and-downs. We didn’t finish the season the way we would like. But I would consider Indiana my number one option. …

"This team has talent. As long as we stay together and have an ultimate goal, and, of course, if the health isn’t such an issue, we’ll have a chance."

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/yearend_comments_060505.html

Hicks
05-06-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm pretty sure this is posted someplace already...

Bball
05-06-2006, 05:35 PM

I looked but didn't see it. I know Pacers.com rehashed some of the quotes of JO and AJ but some of them I hadn't heard.

-Bball

Anthem
05-06-2006, 05:36 PM
With his epic 40-point performance Thursday night, Anthony Johnson earned the platform to voice his opinion about what is needed to ensure a more successful, less controversial, 2006-07 season for the Pacers. But he was far from the only member of the team to make his feelings know.
You're kidding me. A typo in the first paragraph? I never expect Pacers.com stuff to be perfect, but in the first paragraph? That's crazy. Does nobody over there read their own copy?

Anthem
05-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Danny's comment is interesting... Carlisle didn't "necessarily" lose the team.

I also thought it was interesting that the two guys who think they're likely to be traded (Jermaine and Jack) were the most open about where the team is. Not surprising, but still.

I liked Jermaine's comment: "Obviously, I'm not the biggest, strongest guy in the world..." Absolutely true. I wish TPTB would bring in a center so JO could lose some pounds. I firmly believe his bulk is part of his injury problem. Remember back when he was skinny?

Robertmto
05-06-2006, 05:43 PM
You're kidding me. A typo in the first paragraph? I never expect Pacers.com stuff to be perfect, but in the first paragraph? That's crazy. Does nobody over there read their own copy?

No - no they don't

Roy Munson
05-06-2006, 06:05 PM
I found JO's comments extremely insulting to David Harrison.

vapacersfan
05-06-2006, 06:52 PM

Why?

*ducks from flying chair about to come from SIG*

David has shown very little potential, and all of the little he has shown has come from the offensive end of the floor.

I dont think David is the answer, and even if he achieves his full potential, I dont think he will ever be anything close to an all-star.

Obviously JO is still a little bitter about the Pacers letting BM go....

bulldog
05-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Why?

David has shown very little potential, and all of the little he has shown has come from the offensive end of the floor.

I dont think David is the answer, and even if he achieves his full potential, I dont think he will ever be anything close to an all-star.

Yea, but, what could JO have possibly gained from making this statement publicly? Why not call out David in private, and voice his opinion to Donnie, instead of risking a thing with Harrisson, Foster, and Pollard?

vapacersfan
05-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Yea, but, what could JO have possibly gained from making this statement publicly? Why not call out David in private, and voice his opinion to Donnie, instead of risking a thing with Harrisson, Foster, and Pollard?

I dont think he made a "thing" wiht anyone.

It isnt a cut at any of them, but out of those three guys who has shown they can hit that open shot to take pressure away from JO.

David cant stop *****ing at the refs long enough to get a break, which means that even when he doesnt commit a foul the refs are tired of his mouth and give it to him. So he cant last long.

Foster has a jumpshot, but it also magically "disappears" at the start of every season.

Pollard has one, but he hasnt seen much time, though he did see more time then many (probably even he) expected.

Roy Munson
05-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Why?

I didn't say the comments had merit or not. Just that they were quite a dig at Harrison, IMO.

When asked the question about what the team needed, JO chose to use it as another opportunity to make excuses for himself, i.e., 'if we had a better players around me I could play better...'. He could have said something that wasn't cutting to his teammates. I think it's another example of JO's immaturity. He places himself at a higher level than his teammates.

Right or wrong, it's not a team-first attitude that is going to get the Pacers very far.

Unclebuck
05-06-2006, 08:08 PM

Yes here it is

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21106

Anthem
05-06-2006, 08:22 PM
I don't want an all-star. They're expensive.

I want a big guy that can defend the opposing post player, block out two guys, block shots, and waste a foul when the opposing guard drives in the lane. He needs a couple of post moves and an 8' jump shot. That's it.

If David could get his defensive assignments down, he could be that guy.

vapacersfan
05-06-2006, 08:23 PM
I don't want an all-star. They're expensive.

I want a big guy that can defend the opposing post player, block out two guys, block shots, and waste a foul when the opposing guard drives in the lane. He needs a couple of post moves and an 8' jump shot. That's it.

If David could get his defensive assignments down, he could be that guy.

Well David has the fouling part down, but in order to block shots you have to be in a position to block the shot.

Anthem
05-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Well David has the fouling part down, but in order to block shots you have to be in a position to block the shot.
I don't mean a silly foul, I mean an old-school Dale Davis "don't even think about coming back down this lane" foul.

As far as blocks, David gets twice as many in 15 minutes a game as Jeff Foster does in 25 minutes a game. He can become a good shotblocker if he can stay on the court. Some of that is him, and some is Carlisle.

vapacersfan
05-06-2006, 08:32 PM
I don't mean a silly foul, I mean an old-school Dale Davis "don't even think about coming back down this lane" foul.

As far as blocks, David gets twice as many in 15 minutes a game as Jeff Foster does in 25 minutes a game. He can become a good shotblocker if he can stay on the court. Some of that is him, and some is Carlisle.

I was being sarcastic.

And I think you would get more blocks then Jeff Foster, thats not exactly a good measuring stick to go buy.............

Anthem
05-06-2006, 08:35 PM
I was being sarcastic.

And I think you would get more blocks then Jeff Foster, thats not exactly a good measuring stick to go buy.............
Why not? He's our starting center going into next year... :puke:

vapacersfan
05-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Why not? He's our starting center going into next year... :puke:

Thats not saying much (and this is coming from a guy who liked UB as much as Jeff does. He is one of my favorite Pacer players, but I would like to see him become my favorite player off the bench)

owl
05-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Harrison is what he is and has limitations.

I believe someone else is needed there.

Get Shelden Williams or Sere Sene.

Both of these players will at least be better rebounders and shot blockers than David

owl

Anthem
05-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Hey, there are reasons to be down on David, but shotblocking ain't one of them.

It's not unreasonable to think he'd block close to 2 a game if he could stay on the court for 30 minutes a night. That would put him among the top 15 shotblockers in the game.

EDIT: Did you know that Jermaine had a higher BPG than Ben Wallace? Crazy! And his BLK/PF ratio's pretty good too.

vapacersfan
05-06-2006, 08:52 PM
There are many reason to choose from to be "down" on david.

I could give a list, but to save us both time I'll list 1A and 1B

1A. His attitude

and

1B. His attitude.

How many fouls did the man pick up that were nothing more then "reputation" fouls because he can not stop *****ing at the refs.

And before any one throws out that Reggie matured a little later in his career, I am not even mentioning his offense, defense, or his inability to stay on the floor.

I want to like David, I really do. But I am tired of headcases, and since I enjoy guys that play on both sides of the floor, it get old real fast seeing him get lost on defense time after time.

SoupIsGood
05-06-2006, 09:04 PM
:blahblah:

;)

Robertmto
05-06-2006, 09:47 PM
:blahblah:

But it was true.

Evan_The_Dude
05-07-2006, 12:09 PM
We're going to end up with Joel Przybilla. I can see it coming from a mile away.

Hicks
05-07-2006, 12:38 PM
We're going to end up with Joel Przybilla. I can see it coming from a mile away.

He'd be a good pickup. He's a better C than Jeff at least.

RWB
05-08-2006, 10:21 AM

Are you thinking a S&T here involving Freddie?

Anthem
05-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Are you thinking a S&T here involving Freddie?
S&T Freddie for Pryz? Where do I sign up?

Tom White
05-08-2006, 11:18 AM
He'd be a good pickup. He's a better C than Jeff at least.

But, isn't Pryzbilla a bit of a head case too?
Isn't he the guy that got kicked off his college team (Minnesota)?

I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure about him getting kicked off the Gophers team.

ChicagoJ
05-08-2006, 12:21 PM
I was being sarcastic.

Maybe true, but your sarcasm is getting harder and harder to read and understand.

There are many reason to choose from to be "down" on david.

I could give a list, but to save us both time I'll list 1A and 1B

1A. His attitude

and

1B. His attitude.

That must be sarcasm too.

Maybe you're being sarcastic 100% of the time. I just can't tell anymore.

vapacersfan
05-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Wow, I dont remember posting in here, but Ill try to answer your questions (I guess they are questions, ehh maybe comments, but you get my drift.)

First of all, my biggest beef with the internet is that you cant tell emotions. If anyone here ever met me IRL they would know I am a decent guy (I think) but I am very sarcastic and even when I am not being sarcastic I am being sarcastic. I guess I hid that well my first year or so here. Add to that the fact that I am a little crazy in the head sometimes I can be a little hard to follow. I apologize in advance for that.

Ok, onto David.

I havent had time to really sit down and post my thoughts on him, because honestly I dont know where I stand on him.

I love his offense, but his defense (or lack thereof) makes me puke, and nothing gets me hotter then seeing a player out of position, esp. in the halfcourt set.

As for the attitude comment, I am surprised you dont see my point. You are the main one who was against Artest, and for the same reason. David has made some good plays, but from his attitude and constant *****ing at the refs has not gotten the benefit of the doubt because he doesnt know how to keep his mouth shut.

ChicagoJ
05-08-2006, 06:43 PM
I don't care about whether or not David talks to the officials too much. They all do that.

I do care when it bothers their play.

However, it is certainly true that centers have to learn to stay out of foul trouble by playing, by learning the refs, what they can do, what they can't do.

I haven't seen anything from David that says this is anything other than a young player trying to figure out "what do you want me to do??"

But his strong-side defense is excellent.

He should never play on the weak side, defensively. And I've now reached the conclusion that JO should never play on the strong side. You put David on the weak side and he's going to look out of position because that's just not his game. That's for PFs, not Cs.

Watching the playoffs, I thought David was out of position nearly every single play offensively, too. But that wasn't David's fault, Rick was clearly coaching him toward the weakside, especially in Game #4. David might've had a really solid impact on the third quarter of Game #4 if he were allowed to play on the strong side. Instead, from the weakside, he made a parade to the FT line (and struggled with something simple like bending his knees.)

David looks out of position because we've got a coach that doesn't seem to remember what to do with a legit low post threat/ post defender. He's trying to turn him into a weak side player. That's just dumb of Rick to do so. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Roy Munson
05-08-2006, 07:15 PM
But, isn't Pryzbilla a bit of a head case too?
Isn't he the guy that got kicked off his college team (Minnesota)?

I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure about him getting kicked off the Gophers team.

I don't think Pryzbilla got kicked off his college team. I think he left under some controversy just because he left before most people thought he should have and Minnesota people feel he was disloyal to the university.

As far as being a head case, I would say not at all. He's demonstrated a lot of maturity, leadership, and improvement since coming to the Trailblazers. He looks to me like someone who will hang around the league for 8 to 10 more years if he doesn't develop health issues.

Unclebuck
05-08-2006, 07:36 PM
But his strong-side defense is excellent.

He should never play on the weak side, defensively. And I've now reached the conclusion that JO should never play on the strong side. You put David on the weak side and he's going to look out of position because that's just not his game. That's for PFs, not Cs.

Watching the playoffs, I thought David was out of position nearly every single play offensively, too. But that wasn't David's fault, Rick was clearly coaching him toward the weakside, especially in Game #4. David might've had a really solid impact on the third quarter of Game #4 if he were allowed to play on the strong side. Instead, from the weakside, he made a parade to the FT line (and struggled with something simple like bending his knees.)

David looks out of position because we've got a coach that doesn't seem to remember what to do with a legit low post threat/ post defender. He's trying to turn him into a weak side player. That's just dumb of Rick to do so. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Jay, even though I often disagree with your posts, I always understand them and can see your point of view. But you lost me along the way here.

You want him to be a strong side defender. By that do you mean you want him to guard the other teams best inside offensive player. Is that what you mean.

Jay, I guess I don't understand your point. How can you and I'll use your words, "always be a strong side defender". What if the offensive team reverses the ball.

Rocky
05-08-2006, 07:39 PM
It appears the type player that JO is wanting is a clone of Brad Miller. Play in the box on defense and leave it open for JO on offense. The only player in the upcoming draft that is similar Miller would be Kevin Spitsnogle. He is no shot blocker but has an unlimited shooting range. It will be an interesting off season.

CableKC
05-08-2006, 08:00 PM
I think its more of an insult to Foster as Harrison doesn't play that much with JONeal. On top of that....Foster get's more minutes at the Center spot then Harrison.....especially during the Playoffs.

Eindar
05-08-2006, 08:01 PM
I don't think Pryzbilla got kicked off his college team. I think he left under some controversy just because he left before most people thought he should have and Minnesota people feel he was disloyal to the university.

As far as being a head case, I would say not at all. He's demonstrated a lot of maturity, leadership, and improvement since coming to the Trailblazers. He looks to me like someone who will hang around the league for 8 to 10 more years if he doesn't develop health issues.

Did you just Jinx Joel Pryzbilla's health situation in an off-season where we're likely to acquire him? :(

D-BONE
05-08-2006, 08:04 PM
By the way JO and some of you on this thread are talking, he's apparently the GM now.

I agree we need a C, but JO should realize that what this team most needs are Gs!! PGs or SGs! We are obviously weakest in the backcourt.

Now this I agree with:

When asked the question about what the team needed, JO chose to use it as another opportunity to make excuses for himself, i.e., 'if we had a better players around me I could play better...'. He could have said something that wasn't cutting to his teammates. I think it's another example of JO's immaturity. He places himself at a higher level than his teammates.

Right or wrong, it's not a team-first attitude that is going to get the Pacers very far.

I made some posts along these lines following his post game 6 press conference. That these comments are equally interpretable as excuses.

His vote of confidence for Tins as the man at PG immediately following AJ's incredible performance in the game and the series I thought was way off base, too.

I think JO is a factor in the attitude/chemistry problems on this team. He needs to figure out how to better handle this issue as long as he is to be considered the cornerstone of the team.

CableKC
05-08-2006, 08:10 PM
We can always dream about getting the best Big Man Free Agent this offseason....but there are 2 realities we have to face here......with a cr@plike Big Man Free Agent Market that is headlined by Ben Wallace who has already setup permanent camp in Detroit...then followed by the likes of Pryzbilla, Nazr....and then.....uhhh.......uhhhh.....some other 2nd tier Center stiff......(1) any decent Big Man worth his salt will be too expensive for an over the salary cap team like the Pacers and (2) the Pacers aren't in the position to offer anything of value without losing some other player that we probably don't want to part with to facilitate a S&T....which ultimately means that we don't have the means to acquire a top tier Big Man.

Its always nice to get a Big Man that can score, that can rebound and can block shots....the problem is that its too expensive and the Pacers don't have the will or the $$$ to acquire one.

Aim low for a decent Big Man that can at least provide some rebounding and Shotblocking help and we maybe able to get a decent player in return......<<cough>><<cough>>Francisco Elson<<cough>><<cough>>

CableKC
05-08-2006, 08:13 PM
By the way JO and some of you on this thread are talking, he's apparently the GM now.

I agree we need a C, but JO should realize that what this team most needs are Gs!! PGs or SGs! We are obviously weakest in the backcourt.

No kidding...unless we can clone Granger and have him defend the 2 and the 3 spot at the same time.....I would much waste what little $$$ / resources we have in acquiring a very solid perimeter defender then overspending on a Big Man.

Between AJs sufficient defense of Kidd, to SJax's rather inspired defense of RJ :rolleyes: and Granger's solid but rookie defending of Carter.......it defense at the Guard and SF positions that ultimately killed us ( of course alongside have ZERO answer for Krstic ).

ChicagoJ
05-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Jay, even though I often disagree with your posts, I always understand them and can see your point of view. But you lost me along the way here.

You want him to be a strong side defender. By that do you mean you want him to guard the other teams best inside offensive player. Is that what you mean.

Yep.

Jay, I guess I don't understand your point. How can you and I'll use your words, "always be a strong side defender". What if the offensive team reverses the ball.

Usually when the ball rotates, the offensive post player tries to re-establish postion on the other (now the strong) side of the court.

Meaning, the best post player is constantly rotating to the strong side of the court, and David should be following him.

If there's no rotation, does that put an inferior post player on the strong side, or does it leave the post open? Doesn't matter, I guess. Either way, you should slide David to the middle of the lane to seal off the basket. That's not his strong suit but then again he's shown flashes of brilliance at it. Ask Richard Jefferson. I still can't believe David (or anybody) blocked that shot during the regular season game at Brendan Byrne arena.

pizza guy
05-09-2006, 12:17 AM
I have no real beef with Hulk. Occasionally, I want to ring his neck because he won't shut up. But that's occasionally as opposed to SJax's non-stop complaining, so I'll take it without any real problem. I like his offensive game and think he could work wonders with JO if JO didn't have to go iso and would pass it out of a double team with regularity. On defense, David is a plus because of his size. I agree with Jay on having Hulk guard the strong side because that allows JO to roam a little more and play the "free safety" spot that he likes to do and is so good at. Also, JO would be able to come over on a double team without leaving the better post-player open. I've been saying for a long time that a 3-4-5 combo of Granger-JO-Hulk would be insane. Shots would get blocked everywhere -- JO can work from his natural position -- Hulk can be the benefactor of the thousands of double-teams JO gets -- Granger can knock down open shots very consistently off of inside-outside passes -- we would own the boards because Hulk takes up space, JO would be able to move around and get to rebounds without trying to push around the C's, and Granger just has that nose for the ball.

Harrison has a little attitude problem to conquer, and RC has to help him through that. But, who knows?

bulldog
05-09-2006, 02:20 AM
Anyone else thinking Pryzbilla for Harrison?

Might make sense with their youth movement, if Joe doesn't want to resign, and no one in their right mind should stay in that gawd-awful place.