PDA

View Full Version : Peja - "Would not mind returning with the same group of players"

bulldog
05-06-2006, 10:39 AM
From Star this morning, http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060506/SPORTS04/605060474...

Free (agent) to stay?
Stojakovic, one of 4 Pacers on the market, indicates he wouldn't mind remaining here
<!--PRINTER FRIENDLY ARTICLE--> By Mark Montieth
<script language="JavaScript"> <!-- document.write( ''+'mark.montieth'+'@'+'indystar.com'+' (http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/+)'); //--> </script>mark.montieth@indystar.com
May 6, 2006

All dollar signs being equal, Peja Stojakovic said he hopes to re-sign with the Indiana Pacers this summer and finish his career with the franchise.
One of four Pacers who became free agents when the buzzer sounded on their Game 6 playoff loss to New Jersey on Thursday, Stojakovic figures to be their highest priority.
They, likewise, are his.
"I liked the organization from the first time I got here," said Stojakovic, who came to the Pacers from Sacramento in a trade for Ron Artest in February. "I was really accepted well. I consider Indiana as my No. 1 option."
In 40 games with the Pacers, Stojakovic averaged 19.5 points while hitting 40 percent of his 3-pointers and 90 percent of his foul shots. He played limited minutes in two playoff games against New Jersey because of a knee injury, averaging 11 points. Those were the two games the Pacers won, however.
Stojakovic, who turns 29 in June, said he hopes to sign a five- or six-year contract. He added that he would not mind returning with the same group of players that finished this season.
"Why not?" he said. "This is a special organization and this team has talent. The health is the main issue."
Stojakovic's agent, David Bauman, echoed his sentiments after Thursday's game.
"It's a class organization," Bauman said. "We're real happy with how they've treated him."
Stojakovic said he plans to return to Sacramento with his wife and two infants soon to take care of personal matters that were left undone when he was traded to the Pacers, then spend most of the summer in Greece. As of now, he doesn't plan to play in the World Championships in Japan for Yugoslavia.
The Pacers' other three free agents -- Fred Jones, Scot Pollard and Eddie Gill -- face even less certain futures.
Jones, a former first-round draft pick and four-year veteran, averaged 9.6 points this season.
"I have no idea what's going to happen," he said. "The only thing I can do is pray about it and ask the Lord to send me where He wants me. If He wants me to be here, I'll be here. If not, I'll be somewhere else."
Pollard, 31, received sporadic playing time this season but started 32 of the 45 games he played. Coach Rick Carlisle used him as a situational player against larger centers. He was hampered by a sore back.
"I am interested in coming back," Pollard said. "My family likes this place, my kids are settled here, too, so that's something that's (important) to me."
Gill, 27, was signed to a minimum contract two years ago and played only mop-up minutes at point guard unless injuries created opportunities.
__________________________________________________ ________
Same group of players that finished the season, huh?

Jermaniac
05-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Damn it Peja why cant you hate it here

Hicks
05-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Jones, a former first-round draft pick and four-year veteran, averaged 9.6 points this season.
"I have no idea what's going to happen," he said. "The only thing I can do is pray about it and ask the Lord to send me where He wants me. If He wants me to be here, I'll be here. If not, I'll be somewhere else."

Sounds like a Raptor-to-be.

Moses
05-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Damn it Peja why cant you hate it here
Because, if we don't resign Peja, we don't resign anything.

We can S&T Peja for another player. Maybe ever package him with someone for Melo or another premier 2/3 guard/foward player. I like Peja alot but we need a game-changer. Someone who can slash and shoot and compliment JO. Peja only does one of those two, and while he does it very well, I can't say I wouldn't rather have had Magette or any other good guard.

Jermaniac
05-06-2006, 10:52 AM
I dont care what Peja does, he didnt even try to tough it out and help his team in the playoffs, he is dead to me.

PacerMan
05-06-2006, 11:15 AM
I dont care what Peja does, he didnt even try to tough it out and help his team in the playoffs, he is dead to me.

Unless you could be in his body for a minute to feel what that knee feels like, that's simply unfair. Injuries to joints restrict your mobility. THis to a guy that has no extra 'quick' to spare. If he couldn't move well enough to guard anyone, or come off picks, what good would he be???????

Young
05-06-2006, 11:17 AM
I'll be a little concerned if we re-sign Peja.

- Injuries.
- Cost.
I don't want to lock Peja up for alot of money long term. I assume he will want a 5-6 year deal for 50+ million or around that ballpark. That is alot of money to pay someone when you have a younger guy at that exact same position and it's not like Peja or Danny can play the 2 or 4 full time.
- Plays the same position as Danny.

Jermaniac
05-06-2006, 11:17 AM
I dont care what it feels like, if he could go out play in game 1 and 3, he could have tried to play on the same injury in game 6. He is soft cake, thats all I know. I dont care how much it hurt, JO hyperextended his knee and he played 4 games on it. Ron sprained his ankle twice in the same game last night and you could tell he was hurt bad but they knew what was up and what they where playing for.

bulldog
05-06-2006, 11:38 AM
No one has anything to say about the "same players" comment.

Is he just being PC, or does he really not mind the guys?

Maybe it was all RC.

Arcadian
05-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Same players is the PC comment. I imagine the coach is a bigger issue but I couldn't imagine anyone saying they want this team going into next season as is.

Anthem
05-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Agreed. Is it reading too much in to notice he didn't say coach?

I imagine Bird's in a weird spot this summer. What wins, pride in his eye for talent (Peja/Saras) or his friendship with Carlisle? Because you don't keep those guys for another year and then give them the same coach.

05-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Unless you could be in his body for a minute to feel what that knee feels like, that's simply unfair. Injuries to joints restrict your mobility. THis to a guy that has no extra 'quick' to spare. If he couldn't move well enough to guard anyone, or come off picks, what good would he be???????

Dont worry about him, he hates everybody who isnt JO. I would love to see if he would still be a pacer fan when JO gets traded.

SycamoreKen
05-06-2006, 12:17 PM
I dont care what it feels like, if he could go out play in game 1 and 3, he could have tried to play on the same injury in game 6. He is soft cake, thats all I know. I dont care how much it hurt, JO hyperextended his knee and he played 4 games on it. Ron sprained his ankle twice in the same game last night and you could tell he was hurt bad but they knew what was up and what they where playing for.

But as you saw last night, Ron did not help his team at all by playing hurt. He should have stayed out and let the other guys that were healthy do their jobs. Of course I didn't mind that he played and contributed to the loss. Made his exit that much sweeter for me.

Tim
05-06-2006, 12:26 PM
I rather let Peja walk, he is in Danger's way.

Kegboy
05-06-2006, 12:26 PM
It's PC. Saying he didn't like it here would only hurt his market value. Better to have a big fat offer from Larry that he can shop around to other teams.

Anthem
05-06-2006, 12:32 PM
I rather let Peja walk, he is in Danger's way.
Better to sign him to a reasonable deal, then deal him for somebody who needs outside shooting. If he walks, we lose out.

Mourning
05-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Better to sign him to a reasonable deal, then deal him for somebody who needs outside shooting. If he walks, we lose out.

Exactly!

vapacersfan
05-06-2006, 12:48 PM

You have a point, but if the rumor/speculation that Peja didnt play because he was pouting about RC not playing him in the 4th quarter or something of that sort, then we have even [more] problems. Not that I would be surprised by us getting any more problems, this season has been one of "Murphys law", so why not add one more thing to the list...

J_2_Da_IzzO
05-06-2006, 12:59 PM
In games 5 & 6 we played pretty well against NJ but again stupid decisions cost us the game. In Game 5 it was Jacksons turnovers and Crosheres bad choice for shots. NJ are a pretty solid team and to play well against them without our 2nd scoring option, backup PG and Jackson we done well.

This is why I wouldnt mind trading Peja for maybe a starting or backup SG and have Danny at SF with Jackson as backup.

With Jackson there is one thing that you cant fault him for and thats his fight. He was right when he subliminily called out Peja. If you can walk you can try. Its the playoffs and an elimination game. If he tried and wanted to go off in the first minute then fair enough at least he did try. Id be much more happy if we had Granger starting at SF and having a SG that can shoot and be a perimeter threat.

One more thing is the fact that we take to many threes. Peja and arguably Granger are our best three shooters yet we have a majority of the team attempting to many.

J_2_Da_IzzO
05-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Dont worry about him, he hates everybody who isnt JO. I would love to see if he would still be a pacer fan when JO gets traded.

When?

Hicks
05-06-2006, 02:09 PM
It's PC. Saying he didn't like it here would only hurt his market value. Better to have a big fat offer from Larry that he can shop around to other teams.

If he wanted out, PC would be to say little to nothing.

Jermaniac
05-06-2006, 02:25 PM
But as you saw last night, Ron did not help his team at all by playing hurt. He should have stayed out and let the other guys that were healthy do their jobs. Of course I didn't mind that he played and contributed to the loss. Made his exit that much sweeter for me.
We went 2-0 when Peja played hurt so he didnt hurt us, if he just gave it a shot, just went out and tried it out for 5-10 minutes I would have been happy that he at least tried to help his teammates win. He didnt so I dont care for him.

Dont worry about him, he hates everybody who isnt JO. I would love to see if he would still be a pacer fan when JO gets traded. I'm more of a Pacers fan the you will ever be. And Jermaine wont ever get traded so we wont have to worry about this now wont we.

Anthem
05-06-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm more of a Pacers fan the you will ever be.
Says the man with Kobe as his avatar.

I'm willing to bet that Ken has been a Pacers fan longer than you've been alive.

CableKC
05-06-2006, 02:36 PM
I think that he is trying to be PC about it....no need to rock the boat considering that he wasn't able to boost his trade value cuz of his essential absense from the playoffs.

The only good thing that I can see in his slightly lowered trade value is that the Pacers maybe able to sign him to a more reasonable contract.....or ( if Jermainiac had his way ) sign him to a more reasonable contract then trade him to a team for other players.

Jermaniac
05-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Says the man with Kobe as his avatar.

I'm willing to bet that Ken has been a Pacers fan longer than you've been alive.
Ohh its so FUNNY that the 2nd post wasnt a post by Ken. Dude please read before you jump on my ****ing case everytime I post something. The 2nd quote was by #31, go read the thread and get back to me. Fix your face.

Bball
05-06-2006, 03:23 PM
If he wanted out, PC would be to say little to nothing.

Not necessarily... Think in terms of building up market value. Right now, the world knows Larry wants to keep Peja (we have no idea what DW wants to do tho). If Peja talks glowingly about staying here he forces any potential suitors to believe he'd accept Indiana's offer if they don't pony up with their own offer.

If he said little to nothing at all then he allows the rumor to potentially grow that he doesn't want to stay here. Or at least allows the seed to grow from 'Why would he want to stay with the Pacers (considering the turmoil, Carlisle's use of him and reputation, Granger's rise, etc..). And teams wanting him could be inclined to believe Indiana is not a factor (no matter how much Bird might want him). Of course that would then drive the market down somewhat. At least until a big fish enters the pond. And even then, making the Pacers seem a viable option (knowing Birds stated desire to re-sign him) still keeps the market hotter.

--

That's from a speculation POV. It's hard to know what might be the truth and what my be wrangling for leverage right now.

I find it hard to believe Peja wouldn't want to test the waters elsewhere.

-Bball

Mac_Daddy
05-06-2006, 03:42 PM
What does PC mean? I have been trying to figure it out all day..

Bball
05-06-2006, 03:53 PM
What does PC mean? I have been trying to figure it out all day..

"Pacer Correct"

Actually... "Politically Correct" :D

-Bball

Mac_Daddy
05-06-2006, 03:56 PM
"Pacer Correct"

Actually... "Politically Correct" :D

-Bball

Thank you. Now I can understand what is being said. I was thinking it was "player concious' or something.

Unclebuck
05-06-2006, 04:10 PM
From everything I've read from Kings fans, Peja always says the right thing.

So I wouldn't really pay too much attention to what he says

Bball
05-06-2006, 04:19 PM

So you're saying when he says the right thing it's really the wrong thing and we should think he means some other thing and nothing means the things that we might think he means?

:tongue: ;)

-Bball

Will Galen
05-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Look at it from Peja's point of view. This will be his last big contract and he can get more money from the Pacers than anyone. Why say something stupid at this point?

piksi
05-06-2006, 05:36 PM

he never really says anything that has any importance on any issue

Robertmto
05-06-2006, 05:39 PM
he never really says anything that has any importance on any issue

He doesn't play when its important either apparently

brichard
05-06-2006, 08:33 PM

:lol:

Nice

RWB
05-08-2006, 07:30 AM
Agreed. Is it reading too much in to notice he didn't say coach?

I imagine Bird's in a weird spot this summer. What wins, pride in his eye for talent (Peja/Saras) or his friendship with Carlisle? Because you don't keep those guys for another year and then give them the same coach.

I would say Bird's man crush for Peja will win out.

Rytas_Jega
05-08-2006, 03:10 PM
As of now, he doesn't plan to play in the World Championships in Japan for Yugoslavia.

And Sarunas doesn't plan to play for Soviet Union...

Robertmto
05-08-2006, 03:53 PM
And Darko won't play for Lithiuania

Kstat
05-08-2006, 04:03 PM
:laugh:

slyder
05-08-2006, 04:41 PM

ha ha, good one. do you suppose
God places coaches, too??

BoomBaby31
05-09-2006, 02:36 AM
Peja has always been one of my favorite players with that silky smooth Indiana shot :)... I just hope and pray he isn't going to be injury prone the rest of his carreer and this is just a 1 season mishap. In the end it probably was best that he sat out, even if he doesn't feel the pain you can cause serious damage to your hurt knee if it isn't fully heeled. I'd love to see him in a Pacers uniform again only if he is healthy and is going to be 150% effort oh and he doesn't cost TOO much.

I have to say the Pacers must have the best fans because what other fans care about salary so much? lol

and who wouldn't love it in Indiana we have one of thee (if not thee best) run/managed organization in all of sports.

VF21
05-11-2006, 11:30 PM

Deja vu... all over again. But this time, I'm not the one having to try and rationalize why a professional athlete sits out for injuries that wouldn't sideline my dear old mum with the artifical knee.

;)