PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone hate Jeff Foster all of a sudden

Unclebuck
05-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Did I miss something. Did I fall asleep and miss a season or two. Seriously is the ripping of Jeff just because everyone is ripping all the players, or did I sleep through something.

I thought Jeff was one of the "good guys" What was he found wondering drunk near Beach Grove last night or something.

btowncolt
05-05-2006, 04:17 PM
What was he found wondering drunk near Beach Grove last night or something.

Leave him alone, he thought he had to go vote for a new team captain.

05-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Its like that UB, they always **** about a player when he gets injured, dont worry :unimpress

Anthem
05-05-2006, 04:22 PM
What? I must have missed it. I don't feel like everyone dislikes Jeff any more than they ever did.

On the contrary, I see him as one of our most valuable players in a trade.

Since86
05-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Leave him alone, he thought he had to go vote for a new team captain.

He wasn't drunk!!!!

He was messed up on Ambien and another medication.

Geez, why do you have to mis-report the news?

:censored:

Eindar
05-05-2006, 04:29 PM
The only thing I'm miffed at Jeff about is that he can't spread the floor for JO. As long as both of them are on the team, defenses will sag off of Jeff and pack the lane on JO. As much as I like the Harlem Globetrotters version of JO, I don't think he's capable of playing Webber-style ball consistently, so the JO to Jeff for a layup play is a pipe dream. Jeff would be best served on a team that is centered abound guards and wing players, where they can penetrate and dish to Jeff for a layup, or Jeff can use his athleticism to secure long rebounds. I like Foster, but I think he's a bad combo with JO on the floor.

Mourning
05-05-2006, 04:30 PM
I have no problems with Jeff. In fact he serves a very valuable role as one of the few who actually can and will get rebounds. However, I would prefer he became a backup instead of a starter, because where JO is right is that we need more offensive output from the center position ASWELL as some good rebounding, unfortunately that's what 3/4 of the teams in the NBA want from their center position.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

denyfizle
05-05-2006, 04:43 PM
i don't read much of the threads here, but why rip Jeff? the dude plays hard for us all the time. that's ridiculous. he was one of the few bright spots we had this year.

ChicagoJ
05-05-2006, 04:46 PM
He's just in the wrong role. I'd be happy with him as the first big man off the bench - as he was last season.

He's a bad match with JO.

And my disdain for Jeff is certainly nothing new. Until he learns to play some post defense, instead of that wimpy front-the-post crap that he plays, I won't be very satisfied with him. Put on some muscle and play like a big man, damnit.

Vicious Tyrant
05-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Didn't you hear UB? Jeff killed a man this weekend. With his bare hands.

Tragic...

Young
05-05-2006, 04:54 PM
I love Jeff's game. I wish he was a bit bigger though so he could guard any center in the league.

Jeff is like alot of others on this team, would be nice to keep but if the right deal comes along....gone! We don't really need someone better than Jeff, but we do need someone more durable and perferably someone with a little more size and shot blocking skills.

Since86
05-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Didn't you hear UB? Jeff killed a man this weekend. With his bare hands.

Tragic...

See what NBA players do, when they find drunk college kids asleep in their cars?

Jermaniac
05-05-2006, 05:55 PM
We saw the Nets keep a man on him and took him out the whole series, thats all they had to do, was just have someone on him the whole game. He cant do nothing other then rebound on offense, if he was to stay as a back up I'm happy.

Pacerized
05-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Jeff is one of the few players that I really hope we keep. He's a capable starting center, and compliments J.O. well. We won't get a center that can do it all, and I'd rather have the rebounder, and defender that Jeff is, over any other skill. He's been out with some injuries, but Jeff is no where near the liability on injuries that several other players on this team are.

One thing I'd like to ask. Has there ever been a time that fans weren't saying we need another center, or banger? I think we could have a team consisting of the 14 biggest players in the NBA, and fans would still want more bulk.

SoupIsGood
05-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Did I miss something. Did I fall asleep and miss a season or two. Seriously is the ripping of Jeff just because everyone is ripping all the players, or did I sleep through something.

I thought Jeff was one of the "good guys" What was he found wondering drunk near Beach Grove last night or something.

Ask JO, he doesn't like playing with Jeff anymore....

Peck
05-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Ask JO, he doesn't like playing with Jeff anymore....

Actually if you go back & look at J.O.'s quotes from two summers ago you will see that he has been calling for another center since.....well.....:whistle:

Peck
05-05-2006, 10:52 PM

BTW, did I miss something? I haven't had internet at work since the night of the tornado so I miss a lot during the day, hopefully that will change Monday, anyway did I miss a post were people were going off about Jeff?

Unclebuck
05-05-2006, 10:57 PM
BTW, did I miss something? I haven't had internet at work since the night of the tornado so I miss a lot during the day, hopefully that will change Monday, anyway did I miss a post were people were going off about Jeff?

Well almost, it just seemed to me that a lot of people had turned on Jeff.

brichard
05-05-2006, 11:03 PM
People got tired of Tinsley lately and Foster's name has been atop many recent posts for his inability to hit some shots. His offense was so woefully on display this series that even some of his most ardent fans had to admit he was a major liability with his play.

My two basic beefs with Jeff are that 1.) He has not seemed to get much better over the years, and 2.) If you aren't part of the solution you are part of the problem. I'm sure Jeff is a better player than when he entered the league, but he just isn't adding enough to keep me happy. The least he could add is, I don't know... a layup to is repotoire?

And Jeff just isn't the solution. Whether he plays or not our record seems to be about the same. I like Jeff and I appreciate his lunch pail attitude to the game But in this Land of the Misfit Toys that is the Indiana Pacers, he is just as flawed and expendable as the next person. I agree that he has some trade value, and so if packaging him with Tinsley or Jackson gets us a player in return, so be it.

He used to be on my list of guys I would not like to trade b/c he was a role player that did his role. But in order for Jeff to have that kind of value to us he has to be a stunning role player. If you want to totally offer nothing on the offensive court, you had better be Ben Wallace on the defensive side.

I'll be content if he stays or leaves. But our ability to win/lose next year isn't contingent on Jeff Foster.

Unclebuck
05-05-2006, 11:26 PM
I'm sure Jeff is a better player than when he entered the league, but he just isn't adding enough to keep me happy. The least he could add is, I don't know... a layup to is repotoire?

That is an interesting comment since he did shoot 55% this season. He must be able to make layups

brich
05-06-2006, 12:39 AM
I, like many here, like Jeff Foster. He works hard, and he does the dirty work that nobody else wants to do. The simple issue with Jeff, as many have mentioned, is that he doesn't have much of an offensive game. He needs to be able to hit a mid-range jumper in order to free up JO more on the offensive end.

He is a dominant rebounder, and a solid defender, and that makes him a great guy to have coming off of the bench. IMO, in order for him to start, he needs a little more offense, or he needs to become an even better defender/rebounde then he already is.

Neither Ben Wallace or Dennis Rodman had great offensive games, but their defense and rebounding could absolutely change a game. I think Jeff positively impacts the game, but I don't think he dominates with rebounding and defending like Wallace/Rodman. Again, this doesn't make him a bad guy or player, it just means he is a flawed player.

Like Skaut Ech said earlier, the guy has been able to hit an outside shot in his past. If he adds that to his game, then I will be tickled pink.

Arcadian
05-06-2006, 01:12 AM
Jeff Foster is hot. Beyond that I think he is great for what he is. I don't understand the need to rail against a player for what he is not. Sure, he is not a natural center but is that his fault or managments for not getting one?

At the same time he is one of our best trade assests due to his reasonable contract and the fact that he is the great third big man in a 8 man rotation. If it means trading Foster to get rid of someone who needs going then so be it.

Bball
05-06-2006, 02:49 AM
UB...
The other day when I said fans want players who show them heart and hustle you came back with:
"So why does AJ and Foster get so much grief?"

I think the answer is "Misuse". Maybe "over-reliance". When you constantly put a player in a position where you need more than he can give on a sustained basis you allow fans to see the warts. Maybe some of their ire then becomes misdirected.

If you have a guy who should be getting 10-15 minutes off the bench and instead you use him to the point he becomes a liability then heart and hustle are not enough when analyzing the overall picture. Pretty soon some fans want to take the option away from the coach to overuse/misuse that player....or simply blame the player entirely.

Of course maybe the real blame lies with the coach... but human nature comes into account.

-Bball

Kegboy
05-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Cause he's not only a no good, dirty milk drinker, he's their freakin' spokesman.

:pissed:

MSA2CF
05-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Jeff is one of the most consistent players on this team. I have no problem with him. He's one of the most beloved Pacers the team has, even if fans here on the message board aren't too into him right now...I also think that both Mr. Bird and Mr. Walsh think highly of him, and those are the two who will matter in the end.

Hicks
05-06-2006, 11:32 AM
I like Jeff a lot... as a bench player. Not as a starter.

timid
05-06-2006, 12:00 PM
I like Jeff a lot... as a bench player. Not as a starter.
Basically.......

grace
05-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Cause he's not only a no good, dirty milk drinker, he's their freakin' spokesman.

:spitout: :lmao:

brichard
05-06-2006, 08:36 PM
That is an interesting comment since he did shoot 55% this season. He must be able to make layups

You sure that isn't his FT%? ;)

brichard
05-06-2006, 08:40 PM
You sure that isn't his FT%? ;)

I take it back.. he probably does shoot 55% on layups and that is what drives me crazy about him. :cool: