PDA

View Full Version : Carlisle will not be the Pacers coach next season nor should he

Unclebuck
05-05-2006, 11:36 AM
OK, there I said it. Everyone thinks I love Rick Carlisle, well I do like him, I think he's an excellent coach, the second best coach the Pacers have had in their NBA history (yes I know Slick coached in the NBA also, but I'm not counting him) Some of you think I love his system. And I do, his idea of playing "playoff basketball" the entire season is what I believe in and IMO it is the right way to coach an NBA team. I hope the next coach is half as good as Rick.

You might then be asking, why should he not be the Pacers coach next season. Good question

He lost the team, the team has tuned him out, they quit on him, he doesn't believe in the players, however you want to describe it, it is very obvious.

I said at the forum party in March, that I wasn't sure if Rick had lost the team, if the players had quit on him, but I became 100% convinced of that after the players only meeting called by Croshere about 10 days before the end of the season. I firmly believe without any reservation that Rick was the main topic of conversation during that meeting, most of the players evidently hate him, or hate playing for him, or hate his system, or just hate the entire situation with Rick. I'm not here to criticize the players for that, the facts are the facts.

The players came out of that meeting, won 5 of 6 (against weak competition), and played decently in the playoffs, but there was a marked improvement over what they were doing just prior to the meeting. IMO most of the players, or at least the leaders of the team tried to get their teammates to play inspite of Rick, don't play for him, play for yourself (I don't mean selfishly), play for your teammates, play for the city, but play inspite of Rick. In other words, put all your animosity aside and lets see what we can do in these last 6 games and the playoffs.

I think Rick knows all this, because I saw a distinct difference in Rick after that meeting. I think he knew the end was near so he was less hands on, he sat down more, his demanor was different, heck he was a little different on his weekly radio show. He knew what the players had discussed and what they had decided, and I think Rick decided to more or less let the players go, there not listening anyway, just try to guide them the best as you can, but stay out of the way more.

Some of you might keel over, but I noticed Kevin O'Neill more involved, he seemed to be more vocal. Rick might have said I can't get through to them, they are sick of me, I need you do to more.

Bottom line the team with Rick as the coach has gone through too much over the past two years, 99% of it is not his fault, but he's the coach so he shares the burden.

OK, I think I've beat this into the ground enough. Most of you think he should be fired, so I don't need to convince most of you.

let me pose myself a few questions

1) Someone might ask, well UB, if you like Rick so much and like his sytem so much, but you just think he's lost the team, then why couldn't Rick come back next season if the team has 7 or 8 new players on it. Keep the players who fit his system or still respect him, and trade the others. I don't have a good response to that, and if that did happen, I'd be satisfied, this forum would be unbearable, but I'd be satisfied.

2) OK, how will it play out will Rick get fired or resign. Both, well niether, no both. They will amicably part ways, Rick will get paid the last year on his contract, he might even get more than just that. But he will not be part of this franchise. Will they offer him a front office job , I don't think so Rick wants to coach and he will get a good job for next season if he wants it.

3) Who will be the next head coach, and will any of the current assitant coaches be back. The second part is easy, No, all will be gone. KO will go with Rick, some of the others might too. I cannot predict who will be the next coach. I'll throw out a few names, but all, these have been mentioned, Dennis Johnson, Mark Jackson, Stan Van Gundy, Eric Musselmen. Mark Iavaroni, Randy Wittman, Dave Cowens, Tom Thibodeau, Tony Brown, Jim Cleamons, Darell Walker, and then of course you have Paul Silas, Paul Westphal, I know there are others.

If I were asked my opinion, I would put the following names on the short list as those I would interview: Musselman, Iavaroni, Thibodeau, DJ.

4) What is one thing the new coach must do. He must continue the emphasis on defense, if a coach is not intending to do that, there is no way he should be hired.

That is it.

McClintic Sphere
05-05-2006, 11:45 AM
First Ron Ron, now Rick. Much like the young Mc Sphere, you need to realize early on your infatuations will lead to heartbreak, then insight, as you have shown here.

ChicagoJ
05-05-2006, 11:46 AM
IMO, Chuck may not be on the bench, but I'm pretty sure that as long as DW is around Chuck will still have a job with the Pacers.

So when I posted the "Rick should be fired immediately" thread - with six games remaining - you agreed that Rick should be gone but disagreed with my proposed timing.

I agree with a defensive emphasis #1. But we must have a more aggressive offensive emphasis.

Same thing as what you're saying about Rick, I love JVG as a coach. But I'm not sure this is the right time for him to come to Indy and coach.

Let's ask this question:

Does anybody believe that we'll be in a position to win a title in the next three seasons? If not, its very unlikely that the next coach will be the coach to lead us to the promised land, either. I'm not sure we need a "championship caliber" coach right now as we need some coaches to (1) give us a fresh perspective, and (2) excel at player and team development. IOW, a guy to set the stage for the next coach.

sweabs
05-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Is Terry Porter another name you can throw into your mix of available coaches? I'm not sure...the last I heard about him was that he was thinking of investing in the Blazers or something.

indygeezer
05-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Wow...

I mentioned Reggie as coach in another thread, mostly in jest but with some FUTURE thought to it. I also mentioned Robert Parish as an asst.coach/big-man coach, and I fully meant that one.

bulletproof
05-05-2006, 11:51 AM
First Ron Ron, now Rick. Much like the young Mc Sphere, you need to realize early on your infatuations will lead to heartbreak, then insight, as you have shown here.

Infatuations don't always lead to heartbreak.

btowncolt
05-05-2006, 11:54 AM

I've had four lead to restraining orders.

On topic, I agree with Buck. Blow 'er up and start over. Easier said than done, though.

Frank Slade
05-05-2006, 11:58 AM
hmm.. Mark Jackson ? I can possibly see that, his demeanor might be good fit.

Now...can he help us at the point as well :confused:

McClintic Sphere
05-05-2006, 12:10 PM

True, but UB's Pacer one's seem to.

Mourning
05-05-2006, 12:10 PM
(1) give us a fresh perspective, and (2) excel at player and team development. IOW, a guy to set the stage for the next coach.

That is definitely the sort of coach that we need, a guy that takes the new players under his ropes, teaches them and builds a tight-knit team/unit with a clear idea of what is expected of everyone and that creqtes trust in the team.

IF we manage that succesfully we give the coach a season to see if he's capeable of leading the team to more when the new group has grown (I would expect this to be around year 3) and then IF he can't pull us to the next level (which isn't a shame, there are only a few real coaches suited for the championsip calibre teams IMO) then we get a new coach who IS a championship calibre coach.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Unclebuck
05-05-2006, 12:13 PM
So Jay you think we need a coach now that is a building coach more of a teacher, with the idea being that the nezxt coach will be the one who will become coach when they are ready to win.

If that is what you want then I think EMus is the man for that

Peck
05-05-2006, 12:17 PM
OK, there I said it. Everyone thinks I love Rick Carlisle, well I do like him, I think he's an excellent coach, the second best coach the Pacers have had in their NBA history (yes I know Slick coached in the NBA also, but I'm not counting him) Some of you think I love his system. And I do, his idea of playing "playoff basketball" the entire season is what I believe in and IMO it is the right way to coach an NBA team. I hope the next coach is half as good as Rick.

You might then be asking, why should he not be the Pacers coach next season. Good question

He lost the team, the team has tuned him out, they quit on him, he doesn't believe in the players, however you want to describe it, it is very obvious.

I said at the forum party in March, that I wasn't sure if Rick had lost the team, if the players had quit on him, but I became 100% convinced of that after the players only meeting called by Croshere about 10 days before the end of the season. I firmly believe without any reservation that Rick was the main topic of conversation during that meeting, most of the players evidently hate him, or hate playing for him, or hate his system, or just hate the entire situation with Rick. I'm not here to criticize the players for that, the facts are the facts.

The players came out of that meeting, won 5 of 6 (against weak competition), and played decently in the playoffs, but there was a marked improvement over what they were doing just prior to the meeting. IMO most of the players, or at least the leaders of the team tried to get their teammates to play inspite of Rick, don't play for him, play for yourself (I don't mean selfishly), play for your teammates, play for the city, but play inspite of Rick. In other words, put all your animosity aside and lets see what we can do in these last 6 games and the playoffs.

I think Rick knows all this, because I saw a distinct difference in Rick after that meeting. I think he knew the end was near so he was less hands on, he sat down more, his demanor was different, heck he was a little different on his weekly radio show. He knew what the players had discussed and what they had decided, and I think Rick decided to more or less let the players go, there not listening anyway, just try to guide them the best as you can, but stay out of the way more.

Some of you might keel over, but I noticed Kevin O'Neill more involved, he seemed to be more vocal. Rick might have said I can't get through to them, they are sick of me, I need you do to more.

Bottom line the team with Rick as the coach has gone through too much over the past two years, 99% of it is not his fault, but he's the coach so he shares the burden.

OK, I think I've beat this into the ground enough. Most of you think he should be fired, so I don't need to convince most of you.

let me pose myself a few questions

1) Someone might ask, well UB, if you like Rick so much and like his sytem so much, but you just think he's lost the team, then why couldn't Rick come back next season if the team has 7 or 8 new players on it. Keep the players who fit his system or still respect him, and trade the others. I don't have a good response to that, and if that did happen, I'd be satisfied, this forum would be unbearable, but I'd be satisfied.

2) OK, how will it play out will Rick get fired or resign. Both, well niether, no both. They will amicably part ways, Rick will get paid the last year on his contract, he might even get more than just that. But he will not be part of this franchise. Will they offer him a front office job , I don't think so Rick wants to coach and he will get a good job for next season if he wants it.

3) Who will be the next head coach, and will any of the current assitant coaches be back. The second part is easy, No, all will be gone. KO will go with Rick, some of the others might too. I cannot predict who will be the next coach. I'll throw out a few names, but all, these have been mentioned, Dennis Johnson, Mark Jackson, Stan Van Gundy, Eric Musselmen. Mark Iavaroni, Randy Wittman, Dave Cowens, Tom Thibodeau, Tony Brown, Jim Cleamons, Darell Walker, and then of course you have Paul Silas, Paul Westphal, I know there are others.

If I were asked my opinion, I would put the following names on the short list as those I would interview: Musselman, Iavaroni, Thibodeau, DJ.

4) What is one thing the new coach must do. He must continue the emphasis on defense, if a coach is not intending to do that, there is no way he should be hired.

That is it.

Bravo.

I can't even think where I would disagree with you on anything. You know I wanted Mark as coach but you have listed one I had not thought about & I find the idea fascinating.

Mark Iavaroni..... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

I think I like that.

Either way I know you have had one hell of a rough year so if for no other reason I am glad this thing is over with so you can have a few days of rest.

But don't get to complacent on me, we will need to argue about Foster in a couple of days.;) :buddies:

bulletproof
05-05-2006, 12:31 PM
None of you are considering the financial impact of firing Rick and that will factor into whether he stays or goes. If he's fired, it will be the second time in 4 seasons that we paid two coaches at the same time, at a cost of $8 million.

indygeezer
05-05-2006, 12:34 PM
None of you are considering the financial impact of firing Rick and that will factor into whether he stays or goes. If he's fired, it will be the second time in 4 seasons that we paid two coaches at the same time, at a cost of $8 million.

They will have to weigh that cost vs. the cost of lost butts in the arena and determine a cost to value relationship.

RWB
05-05-2006, 12:41 PM
Wow...

I mentioned Reggie as coach in another thread, mostly in jest but with some FUTURE thought to it. I also mentioned Robert Parish as an asst.coach/big-man coach, and I fully meant that one.

Yes you did Geez, and as I mentioned in another thread I could see Reg come back as an assistant to get closer to the game. Reckon Markie Jackson still has Reg's phone number still on speed dial?

bulletproof
05-05-2006, 12:41 PM
They will have to weigh that cost vs. the cost of lost butts in the arena and determine a cost to value relationship.

I don't think Rick is the reason fans have become indifferent about this team. He may be part of the problem, but most of it has been out of his control and he's not the face of the franchise. Rick should be the last person to go in the off-season, and only if we're not able to restructure this team. I'm just amazed at the short-term memory of a lot of people here.

indygeezer
05-05-2006, 12:47 PM
I don't think Rick is the reason fans have become indifferent about this team. He may be part of the problem, but most of it has been out of his control and he's not the face of the franchise. Rick should be the last person to go in the off-season, and only if we're not able to restructure this team. I'm just amazed at the short-term memory of a lot of people here.

Oh I give Rick a TON of credit for what he did with the post-brawl team and how he pulled them together once again this year. The thing I have against him is how both years he reverted to the old style of slow-down once the starters started returning. Without them, he was running the ball and was winning...we saw what happend when we reverted to form.

I want to see what Rick can do with players who are willing to play his way or what SOME of these players (Tinsley) can do when they have a moe wide-open style presented to them and they are allowed to run it and not be micromanaged. Either way........it just CANNOT stay the same.

bulletproof
05-05-2006, 12:53 PM
If I'm Donnie and Larry I factor the events of the past two years into every decision I make in the off-season.

Fool
05-05-2006, 12:56 PM
If that is what you want then I think EMus is the man for that

Shocking. :)

wjs
05-05-2006, 12:59 PM
Last night on the local Nets' television broadcast here in the New York area, Mark Jackson, as he has done throughout the 1st Round, refreshingly called out the Pacers along lines that many here would be in agreement with. Based on his on-the-air commentary alone, not to mention his Pacer legacy and outstanding personal qualities, we could do a lot worse than make Mark Jackson head coach next season.

However, the coaching is only part of the problem. The larger part, of course, is the mix of players.

We played our best this season during that stretch in February (which included a solid road win against the Nets). #7 was not on the floor during that month and many said, let's see how the team plays when he is back. He returned, and he was healthy by mid-April. Sure a great center would help, but the fact is that Cliff Robinson and Nenad Krstic turned a prospective Pacer advantage in Round #1 into, at best, a push.

The sad truth is, we have a Max-$ contract with a player who is just not worth the Max right now. That is the biggest problem.

Then there are the collateral problems of Tinsley, Jax, Sarunas. And, if Peja did quit on the team, put him on the list too.

Larry and DW have a lot to sort out and they cannot wait until August to get it done.

ChicagoJ
05-05-2006, 01:08 PM
Musselman would be fine by me.

Ivaronni, might be intriguing to put him with David Harrsion.

Suaveness
05-05-2006, 01:16 PM
I have no problems with Musselman or Iavaroni as well. I just hope that whoever comes will play our younger players as well. I want Granger starting. And if Harrison is here, I want him learning how to play. A big man coach would help certainly, but he needs the opportunity.

waxman
05-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Musselman would be fine by me.

Ivaronni, might be intriguing to put him with David Harrsion.

Mark Iavaroni would be a stellar choice. Although he seems quite happy with the Suns... I seem to remember a few teams showing alot of interest in him last year but he stayed put.

Doug in CO
05-05-2006, 02:02 PM

I think there is something to be said for closing the chapter on this version of the Pacers as far as fans are concerned... the three biggest characters in that chapter are JO (probably stays), Jax (we need a sucker), and Rick (dunno what he deserves).

bulletproof
05-05-2006, 02:09 PM
I think there is something to be said for closing the chapter on this version of the Pacers as far as fans are concerned... the three biggest characters in that chapter are JO (probably stays), Jax (we need a sucker), and Rick (dunno what he deserves).

If I'm Donnie or Larry I also have to take into consideration that if fans see Rick on the sidelines next season that there will be the perception that it will be more of the same. So yes, thanks to Ron-Ron, Rick may have to be collateral damage in closing that chapter. But I'm not so sure Bird will see it that way.

Jermaniac
05-05-2006, 02:15 PM
Is Terry Porter another name you can throw into your mix of available coaches? I'm not sure...the last I heard about him was that he was thinking of investing in the Blazers or something.Yes his name poped up in my head when I was thinking of a new coach. He coached that Bucks team with not alot of talent at all pretty good.

Unclebuck
05-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Marc Iavaroni

here is some stuff on him. He has been an asistant coach for Riley and Fratello and no he is with the Suns, so who knows what his philosphy is.
http://www.nba.com/coachfile/marc_iavaroni/index.html?nav=page
Marc Iavaroni
College - Virginia
A 14-year veteran of the NBA as a player or coach, Marc Iavaroni joined the Suns coaching staff in 2002.

Previously he served as assistant coach/director of player development with Pat Riley from 1999-2002. Iavaroni's responsibilities consisted of all general duties of an assistant coach plus the direct responsibility of developing Heat players year round. Prior to that he was an assistant coach under Cleveland Head Coach Mike Fratello for two seasons (1997-1999), concentrating his efforts on big man development.

Iavaroni owes much of his teaching expertise to his 20-year association as a student and instructor under Hall of Fame coach Pete Newell.

A seven-year NBA veteran from 1982-1989, Iavaroni played for Philadelphia, San Antonio and Utah. He was a starter as a rookie on the 76ers’ 1983 World Championship team, voted one of the 10 best NBA teams of all-time. In 1984-85 he played for San Antonio and then-head coach Cotton Fitzsimmons before completing his final three seasons with the Jazz, who won the Midwest Division in 1989.

Iavaroni concluded his professional career alongside current Suns Head Coach Mike D’Antoni in Milan before retiring in 1991. avaroni played professionally overseas for five seasons in Italy and Spain including three seasons after his college career and two seasons following his NBA career.

His coaching career began as a graduate assistant coach at his alma mater, University of Virginia, helping the Cavaliers to their first Final Four in 1981. Following his professional playing career, Iavaroni was an assistant coach at Bowling Green State University for two seasons from 1992-94.

As a collegian, Iavaroni had a successful stint at University of Virginia, where he was a four-year starter and finished in 1978 ranked in Virginia's top 10 in career scoring and rebounding. He gained first-team All-Tournament honors on Virginia's 1976 ACC Tournament championship team, an accomplishment still among his most satisfying playing achievements.

Born in Jamaica, New York, Iavaroni and his wife Caroline are the parents of three teenage sons, Kenton, McCray and Jackson.

Here is an article about why he did not take the Blazers job
http://www.azcentral.com/php-bin/clicktrack/print.php?referer=http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0420sunsnotes0420.html

Iavaroni sees upside to staying put

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 20, 2006 12:00 AM

PORTLAND, Ore. - Other than the millions of dollars missed, it may have been one of the best things for Suns lead assistant Marc Iavaroni.

He came close to being picked as Portland's head coach last summer, but the Blazers postponed the search and ultimately got their target, Nate McMillan. Iavaroni was spared a nasty experience, if McMillan's first season leading the Trail Blazers is any indication.

The Blazers' mess has included the league's worst record and the antics of Darius Miles, who recently changed out of his uniform at halftime, and Zach Randolph, who recently skipped his fifth shootaround, missed the team photo for a second straight year and left a game in the third quarter.

But that's not what makes Iavaroni thankful. He would not have wanted to miss out on this group of Suns.

"It's the reason I haven't thought about what-ifs," Iavaroni said. "I've really liked watching the guys come together. This is a new team. We have very professional people. You take the professionalism and the way they combined their personalities, and it's fun to watch."

Iavaroni, who nearly landed the Milwaukee job in 2003, will be a top candidate again but there may not be much coaching turnover this summer. Ten new coaches entered the season but only Bob Weiss and Stan Van Gundy did not finish the season.

Iavaroni has intelligence, competitiveness, teaching ability, detailed preparation and an acumen for post play and defense that will keep his name at the forefront. Iavaroni, 49, has served on staffs with three former Coaches of the Year - Suns coach Mike D'Antoni, Pat Riley and Mike Fratello.

"He's more than able and willing," D'Antoni said. "You've just got to be in the right place at the right time."

http://www.azcentral.com/php-bin/clicktrack/print.php?referer=http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0705sunsnb0705.html

Iavaroni concentrates on practice, not Portland

David Vest
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 5, 2005 12:00 AM

Watching assistant coach Marc Iavaroni joyfully oversee the first day of workouts for the Suns' summer league team, one would never guess he's waiting to hear whether he has a job with another team. But he is.

"They will be getting back to us if there's going to be a next phase," Iavaroni said Monday, referring to Portland Trail Blazers management. "We understand what the process is, and we're just holding tight."

Iavaroni interviewed for Portland's head coaching job last month and is considered a strong candidate, especially if Seattle coach Nate McMillan isn't interested.

The New York Times reported Sunday that Portland has offered McMillan a multiyear deal with an annual salary of $6 million.

Iavaroni said Portland has not given him a timetable for its decision. While he waits, Iavaroni will serve as head coach for the Suns' entry in the Vegas Summer League that runs Wednesday through July 15.

"This is the fun part," he said. "What's going on in other cities and other situations, that's the not-fun part."

naptownmenace
05-05-2006, 02:38 PM
I posted this in another thread but I think it applies here just as well:

I think these players are flawed, moreso than the coach not being able to pull them together. I think Rick got the most out this fragile bunch of slackers that any coach could.

If anyone needs firing it's the strength and conditioning coach, trainers, and maybe one or more of the assistant coaches. Bird should and DW should be on the hotseat too for several of their less than stellar personnel decisions over the past 3 seasons.

Doug in CO
05-05-2006, 02:57 PM
If I'm Donnie or Larry I also have to take into consideration that if fans see Rick on the sidelines next season that there will be the perception that it will be more of the same. So yes, thanks to Ron-Ron, Rick may have to be collateral damage in closing that chapter. But I'm not so sure Bird will see it that way.

Oh neither am I - but 14,000 and change for each playoff game has to bother someone - be it the Simons, Donnie, Bird, etc.

Rinuven
05-05-2006, 04:10 PM

I agree. As I look back at these past two years, and all that has happened to this organization (anyone else have a team in mind that's experienced the drama the Pacers have), the one constant has been Rick and his ability to get some measured results, regardless of talent and experience available to him. No, he's not been perfect, but what coach is?

Bird, before the season concluded, made it clear that Carlisle will be the coach of the Pacers. Voices around the league regularly speak favorably about Carlisle's skills as a coach. I don't see how the results of the Nets series will change the likelihood of his return.

If I'm Rick Carlisle (which I'm not :rolleyes: ), I'm hoping Bird follows through with his plan for a "summer without golf" and finally gives a me a roster that will give me something consistent/stable to work with. Like Bird said, he didn't hear anyone complaining about Rick when they won 60 plus games.

If I'm a player, I think the message is clear. You're either with a Rick Carlisle coached team, or you won't be here. Like it or not, I think that's what we all should expect to see take place over the summer. As already been repeatedly stated, the big question is what players will be sent packing.

Gamble
05-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Very good post UB. I have to agree that I like a defensive minded
coach above all else. I really hope Rick is shot out of here but I won't
believe it until I see it.

I am oblivious to who could fill his shoes but as long as the players
respond to the new coach and play with some toughness I'll be satisfied.

I would also campaign for a big veteran Center.

Young
05-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Right now as far as I am concerned Rick is not the problem. He is a top 5 coach, don't get rid of him yet.

This team has other issues to address like getting a better backcourt, getting a center, etc. I think that Bird and Donnie must focus on the roster before they focus on switching coaches.

I believe that after next season (I believe that's when Coach Carlise's contract is up) you find a new coach but not right now. Carlise is a damn good coach so don't get rid of him until you know what kind of team you are putting together. I assume that there will be a couple of major shakeups to this lineup for next season, see what kind of team this is before you make a coaching change.

Will Galen
05-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Yes you did Geez, and as I mentioned in another thread I could see Reg come back as an assistant to get closer to the game. Reckon Markie Jackson still has Reg's phone number still on speed dial?

If anyone could talk Reggie into coaching it would probably be Mark, but they would both need an exerienced coach to help them.

Bird will probably hire someone like Dennis Johnson though.

Will Galen
05-05-2006, 08:10 PM
I'm just amazed at the short-term memory of a lot of people here.

I'm not. At least not anymore. I've posted about the yo-yo crowd before.

Meaning?

A lot of Pacer's Digest posters are of the yo-yo crowd. Up and down with the teams fortune's.

SoupIsGood
05-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Keep Rick!

pacerwaala
05-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Keep Rick!

No Kidding!

Just because everybody expected this team to be a championship contender in the last two years does not mean that what we did in the last two years can easily be ignored. If we go by results, which is the only thing that is known for sure (all these rumors about players not getting along, Rick rubbing them the wrong way, etc etc are all just rumors - nobody knows anything for sure!), then Rick over acheived; especially considering that this team is full of discipline less players who constantly break plays, whine to the refs, jump into the stands, show lack of discipline, lack team concept, mentally very fragile, etc, etc.

This is just a guess but I think Pat Riley and Larry Brown would have bailed out and loaded their talk shows with excuses and showed up the players in the press, if they were the coach here.

It is not Rick's fault that our players snapped in the brawl. The injuries are not his fault, Ron's antics are not his fault. All Rick has done is be patient through all this, never showed up his players in the press and work night in and night out to get maximum effort from that day's lineup.

So what should Rick have done this post season to not get fired in your opinion. Do you think without Foster, Peja and Tins we would have won over the Nets if we had a coach that you guys like.

All you Rick bashers, name any one coach that would have acheived what Rick acheived with the Pacers the last two years, given all the circumstances (brawl, injuries, Ron Artest, etc) and the personnel that he is had. Maybe we have been spoiled a bit because of this team's achievements this past decade that we forget to put things in perspective.

Let us not draw conclusions and guess what might be happening behind the doors between the players, coaching staff and Pacers brass. As a fan, if I look at all aspects of this team and -

a - I am disappointed with the atitude of the players on this team. It disheartens me to see these players constantly whine to the refs, jack up shots when their d.ck itches, play outside of the offense, be injury prone due to lack of off-season conditioning. This team needs to get rid of S Jackson, maybe Tinsley and JO only if we can get K.G.

b - I am happy with the coach for the reasons stated above and for the results that he has achieved given the circumstances which were out of his control. Maybe he needs better asistants because it seems that the ones that we have now are clueless.

c - I am ok with the Pacers brass because of Donnie's track record, drafting Granger, etc. I would like them to overhaul the roster this off-season but we will see. Bird, I will give him couple of years to make his mark given that he has had to deal with the extra curricular stuff with this team in the past two years. They should hire new team conditioning personnel and make sure that this team stays healthy for one full season.

Peck
05-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Iavaroni owes much of his teaching expertise to his 20-year association as a student and instructor under Hall of Fame coach Pete Newell.

Ok, I'm sold.

That's all I needed to know right there.

Kegboy
05-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Ok, I'm sold.

That's all I needed to know right there.

Wasn't Cro a big Newell guy? If so, Austin's extensive repertoire of 3 offensive moves isn't much of an endorsement.

:sarcasm:

King Mob
05-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Carlisle and O'Neill were both instructors at Newell's big man camp. When they came to the Pistons there was speculation that they'd be able to eke double digit offense out of Ben, I think we all know how that worked out though.

ABADays
05-06-2006, 04:25 PM
I am not in the "replace Rick" camp. This season, to me, is an indicator of what is wrong with sports. Way too much of inmates running the asylum. I've often thought of what Slick would have done with this cast of characters. I think I know but there aren't enough hockey sticks to go around.

The past 2+ years have been more to handle than any coach should have experienced.

Having said that, if Rick is gone I wouldn'y mind Jackson. Although I think this team might drive him to drink.

Anthem
05-06-2006, 05:27 PM
I am not in the "replace Rick" camp. This season, to me, is an indicator of what is wrong with sports. Way too much of inmates running the asylum.
Just because I wouldn't mind Rick being replaced doesn't mean I wouldn't mind the rest of the team being replaced.