PDA

View Full Version : For those who want to blow up the team, how do we do it?

brichard
05-05-2006, 09:18 AM
And what I mean by that, how are we going to most effectively ship out our bad players for good talent in exchange.

Who's going to want Tinsley? He's got attitude issues and a pretty high RX tab to pick up.

Who wants Stephen Jackson? Brawl+Refs Arguing+Boos from home Crowd= Not much trade value.

The only way I see us trading away some of these malcontents for value is to package them with somebody of value. And although Donnie Walsh is not much for making trades, he also prides himself on a happy crowd with butts in the seats. Neither could be found in this playoff series, and it ain't just b/c Reggie doesn't play anymore. Man, did Reggie really help mask some of our deficiencies.

Anyway, I have decided that I will not be surprised if JO is gone. You either have to trade him or Granger to get anybody of decent caliber. Your only other shot is to do a S&T and include Peja or Pollard. Since we are trying to trim cap space I don't know if it will happen.

I don't want to see Granger gone. And really, I don't want to see JO gone either. As bad as we think we were this season, there are certainly teams that would envy our season. JO is a 20 and 10 guy and there aren't many people like that in the league.

But when I ask myself "Does JO make players around him better," the resounding answer in my own head is "No." He's a great player and surrounded by the right coach/team I have no doubt he could be on a championship contender. But this team needs somebody to pull up the level of others or somebody who can be so sought after that teams will give value back in exchange.

I do like JO and I hope we can find a way to keep him. But based on my thoughts today, I'm not sure it is possible. And if keeping him means we keep the same team I may :puke:

ajbry
05-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Exactly, this herein lies the problem. We all want to dismantle the team (in our own ways, however) and it is going to be very difficult. The FA class isn't amazing, and the trade value of our players isn't exactly too high, with the exception of Mr. 40 Points, Anthony Johnson.

Tinsley is damaged goods, nobody will want him unless they can give away next-to-nothing.

I want Jack back next year.

JO could be dealt, but for who? What "superstar" is available, and why would we want them?

I hope Peja (S & T) and Harrison are packaged together in order to obtain a solid center, so Jeff can come off the bench.

ChicagoJ
05-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Fire Bird. :soundoff:

Fire Carlisle and Kevin O'Neil. :pray:

Trade Stephen Jackson and whatever it takes to GSW for Pietrus and Biedens. If you can make a package good enough to include Diogu (including anyone but JO), then do it!!

S&T Fred Jones

S&T Peja - for Ben Gordon if possible. Will take throw-ins to make it work.

If you can find a taker for Tinsley, I guess you do it. But you've got to make a sweet offer to Washington to pry away Antonio Daniels or make a blockbuster to get a player like Andre Miller - and those guys may not be any better than Tinsley but they seem to be much more durable.

Keep: JO (untouchable except for Garnett, but that's not going to happen), Granger (only available if necessary to get a starting PG, but I still don't know if I'd do it.). Keep AJ in the right role (combo guard, not a starter). Keep Foster in the right role (first big man off the bench, not a starter). Keep Harrison unless another young, legit center can fall into our lap (very, very unlikely).

Use Saras as trade bait for a S&T, if nothing works out he can be third-string again next year. Don't re-sign Gill. Don't resign Pollard.

Croshere is available as throw-in to a big trade, although I'd be happy if he finished his career with the Pacers. And I'd also be happy if he finished his career after last night's game. :shrug:

Gamble
05-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Jay pipe dreams have never turn out that good. THey normally end with
you being the man whore in some jail in Mexico.

Peja won't be S&T and Gordon is likely to play out of our division.

My best is that we stay unlucky and do what we normally do,
nothing unless it means we stay 500.

FrenchConnection
05-05-2006, 11:16 AM
God I wish that Jay's plan would work. I wish that Jack would be enough to get Petrius, but he will not be. We have a bunch of players that we don't want and nobody else will want either. The only players that we have of value are Danny, AJ, Hulk and Austin (large expiring contract). Maybe Saras could still be dealt. I think that we will be stuck with Tins and Jack, unless we take someone elses problem. We might have to make trades for expiring contracts and hope to clear some space, but then again what free agent would want to come to a bad situation in Indiana? I don't see a good way to do this, except for trading Danny and Jack for someone, but I would like Danny to stay.

Sorry about the rambling, but I just cannot see a good way out off this mess. Here, I will say it. This should cost Donnie and Larry their jobs. They built this mess and they should be held responsible.

grace
05-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Fire Bird. :soundoff:

Fire Carlisle and Kevin O'Neil. :pray:

The first has to happen before the second one can because Larry says Rick is staying.

S&T Peja - for Ben Gordon if possible. Will take throw-ins to make it work.

Kegboy keeps saying the Bulls don't have to do a sign and trade. Something to do with all the cap space they have. If I was in charge of the Bulls you'd have to give me something a heck of a lot more than Peja for me to give up Ben Gordon.

If you can find a taker for Tinsley, I guess you do it. But you've got to make a sweet offer to Washington to pry away Antonio Daniels or make a blockbuster to get a player like Andre Miller - and those guys may not be any better than Tinsley but they seem to be much more durable.

Keep: JO (untouchable except for Garnett, but that's not going to happen), Granger (only available if necessary to get a starting PG, but I still don't know if I'd do it.). Keep AJ in the right role (combo guard, not a starter). Keep Foster in the right role (first big man off the bench, not a starter). Keep Harrison unless another young, legit center can fall into our lap (very, very unlikely).

I'll admit that Tinsley is perpetually injured, but to an extent so is Jeff. I suppose he'd last longer if he didn't start, but Scot doesn't start and look at the amount of time he's missed because of injuries.

Use Saras as trade bait for a S&T, if nothing works out he can be third-string again next year. Don't re-sign Gill. Don't resign Pollard.

Croshere is available as throw-in to a big trade, although I'd be happy if he finished his career with the Pacers. And I'd also be happy if he finished his career after last night's game. :shrug:

Do you think Larry will admit he made a mistake getting Saras? I doubt it. As for Austin we haven't been able to trade him before so I don't know why anyone would want him now.

As for how I'd blow the team up since there is no dynamite smile I guess I'll just have to settle for :bond:

sweabs
05-05-2006, 11:29 AM
The key for this offseason will be finding teams who are in as desperate situations as we are. Golden State is one team that comes to mind. They are extremely upset with what went down this year, and looking to make some significant changes. Those are the types of teams that Larry and Donnie need to be talking to, and those are the types of teams where we are most likely to pull some sort of a blockbuster deal with.

Unfortunately, brichard is right in the fact that we cannot just simply make a package of Jackson and Tinsley and hope to receive some quality in return. You have to give up something to get something, and in this case, we're going to have to look at packaging some of our commodities (as few as they are) in some deals to actually appeal to these other teams. I think that's the only way we can get rid of some of these guys like Jackson.

So, using Jackson as an example...you need to first of all look for teams in a similar situation to us. Denver is a team that could fit under that label. Then you need to look at their needs - they really need some outside shooting. So when you're talking to Denver about a deal involving Jackson, they're already listening...but to really get what you want in return you need to throw in some sort of commodity to make it happen.

Believe it or not, we have some guys that are somewhat appealing to other teams. Croshere has a nice big contract coming off the books very soon. Anthony Johnson has shown "signs" of being starting-PG material (his value will never be higher than what it is right now.........just remember that). Foster would be the ideal guy coming off anyone's bench for a championship contendor. Jermaine, S&T involving Peja/Pollard, *gasp* Granger (though heaven forbid).

I just really want Larry & Donnie to make sure they are on the phones each and every day making calls around the league and being persistent. You never know what's out there unless you're taking a proactive stance.

Fool
05-05-2006, 11:31 AM
http://www.radgraphics.net/images/main/atomic-th.gif

bulletproof
05-05-2006, 11:43 AM
I just really want Larry & Donnie to make sure they are on the phones each and every day making calls around the league and being persistent. You never know what's out there unless you're taking a proactive stance.

You mean coming off as desperate so they have no leverage whatsoever?

Anthem
05-05-2006, 11:48 AM
1. Go after KG. Granger's off the table, but other than that you talk. If they bite on JO+Tinsley, you take the money and run. Heck, I'd include our #17, unless there's anybody there we really like. Swap our first-rounder for their second-rounder? Done. Include Harrison? Maybe, if we get more back.

2. If financially feasible, re-sign your free agents. We're not under the cap and not going to be, so we can't lose our assets. If you can work an S&T, go for it. But it's hard. Re-sign Peja, you can always trade him later. Just don't give him so much money that he's untradable. Same with Jones. Pollard is worth keeping as a third big guy, although you'll need more than that on the front line.

3. Leverage Austin's contract. It's the only real chip we have. Golden State is a natural choice... would they give up Pietrus and Diogu if they got to dump Foyle and Fisher's contracts? Cro/Jax/Foster works for Foyle/Fisher/Pietrus/Diogu. It's nasty, but it works. If they included this year's pick I'd consider it.

4. Move Saras to a city that wants him. To Toronto for MoPete? Done.

That gives us this:

Foyle - Harrison - Pollard
KG - Diogu
Peja - Granger
Pietrus - MoPete
AJ - Fisher

:puke: That's wretched. I'm glad I'm not GM.

sweabs
05-05-2006, 11:53 AM
You mean coming off as desperate so they have no leverage whatsoever?

Teams around the league know that we're going to be looking to make changes this offseason. It won't come as a surprise to anyone when they pick up the phone and hear Larry or Donnie. When I say persistent, I'm talking about doing their research and coming up with various trade scenarios and ideas. I'm talking about not being afraid to inquire about a big-time player on the opposition's team. I don't think it's coming across as desperate. They'll either want to trade with us or not...and if they don't want the deal(s) that we've suggested, then so be it.

Skaut_Ech
05-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Lemme just throw in what I said in another thread:

Saras is a keeper.

To say that he was horribly misused is an understatement. Ya gotta remember the guys is a rookie, despite his accomplishments and accolades in Europe, but he does give an indication that he can "get it" given some time. The guy was never given regular PT and was often used as a Steve Kerr type at SG.

He's not a SG, nor should he be. The guy is a PG and a good one given the proper nurturing. I think he's a guy you build upon. Look at guys like Luke Ridnour, Bobby Jackson and Shaun Livingston. All those guys had average looking first years, but you could see something special in all of them. Saras has basketball smarts and you can't teach that.

What Saras needs is a committment to being a PG ONLY with regular, established minutes. I think losing him would be a mistake. Bird didn't spend a year wooing and watching him just to let him go.

The only way I see us trading away some of these malcontents for value is to package them with somebody of value.

Yup. And I also agree with you brichard, that these guys are of value to others team given their deseprate situations. Houston and Memphis could use a PG like Tinsley. I agree with about everything you said, and I will say this- I thinking making some trades may be easier than we think. Yeah, the cap ain't friendly to us, but you've got some really disgruntled teams like Memphis (They want rebounders and defenders), GS (Don't like thier mix), Celtics (would like a dependable PG and a big man), Knicks...it goes on and on.

Like you say, I think it takes a balance. Maybe a package of the fragile Jamaal along with the likes of a guy more solid with a friendly contract.

jcouts
05-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Forget about the regular season, and let's look at the playoffs, because that's what counts.

I only saw 3 players play with championship instinct in the playoffs this year. JO's one good game was just a game where he was throwing the ball at the basket and it happened to be going in. He's made a career out of that.

These players stay without exception:

Granger
AJ
Croshere

Three players that you know exactly what you're going to get from night in and night out. Players that have great basketball IQ and know how to get the best out of themself. Three players who played with an urgency, unlike the "there's next year..." mentality that the other players on the roster brought.

Fred - undersized, moves his feet well on defense, but if the opponet only has to jump up and shoot over the top of you, even if you're directly in front of him with your arm fully extended, it does little good. He's a good open court player, but brings little in a structured offense. Sign and Trade him to a west coast run-first team who needs a Bobby Jackson or Eddie House type of player off of the bench.

Peja - didn't put the team first in this year's playoffs. How someone can not even try to play during a critical playoff series, just prior to a contract summer is beyond my knowledge. His playoff disappearance cut about $10 million off of his next contract offer with any other team in my opinion. I love what he can do when he's on the floor, and the team needs someone like him. But, he does little good if he sits out any time he feels a hint of pain. Bird loves him though, and I am suspect that if the organization let him sit out virtually this entire series, a long term deal has already been agreed to behind the scenes. With that being said though, I like Granger as our long term solution at SF more than Peja. I would prefer to see Peja get a sign and trade deal worked out, and let Danny take over the 3 spot.

JO - lobbying to play with Krstic, Brad Miller or any big man who can draw crowds away from the basket...yet will rebound for him on the other end and guard the opponets best post player. He played lethargic, made poor decisions in the crunch, and is vastly overpaid in my opinion for what he brings to the team. I would rather have Elton Brand or Dwight Howard on my squad at PF than JO at this point. He has a max contract, but refuses to block out or rebound consistently...plays suspect help side defense nowadays...doesn't pass well out of a double team...and has inconsistent shooting. He does many things ok, but nothing very well and consistently. So, what is it that we're paying him a max contract to do, I sometimes ask? I would not care if he was still here next year. I would rather see us get 3 good players with manageable contracts than one big player with an immovable contract. Donnie is probably saying the same thing right now. However, I don't believe that he will get traded over the summer.

Jax - I like what I saw of Jackson when he first came to the team at the beginning of last year, when he knew he had to earn his minutes. But, as soon as he knew his minutes were guaranteed, he knew that he could make all the mistakes he wanted to, because really, who was going to replace him in the lineup..."******, Coach can't bench me now..." I imagine was going through his head. Jackson is at his best when he is fighting for playing time. He knew that if he made a mistake in San Antonio, Pop had someone ready to replace him. He knew that if he made mistakes when he first came to Indiana, Ron or Reggie would be right back off the bench to yank him out. But, as that went, so did his discipline. Minnesota and Boston have shown they're not shy to take players of his sort (ie, Ricky Davis). Perhaps a Marcus Banks deal could be worked out, or the Pacers could join potentially in a 3 way deal with New York and Minnesota that will likely bring Marbury back to Minnesota with Garnett.

Pollard and Foster - neither did their job in the playoffs. They were both at their best when they were playing together and JO wasn't around in the regular season. Why RC didn't occasionally put them in together in the playoffs to disrupt New Jersey's flow, I'm not quite sure. If Pollard can be signed for the vet's minimum, keep him. I believe he would stay if Peja stays, but if Peja goes, Pollard will likely go as well. If San Antonio falls short of their championship bid, they could potentially look to bring in Foster. Golden State could also be a potential suitor.

Harrison - very little mental toughness, not much basketball IQ. Big body, can do good things in simple situations. He has shown flashes of great things, but can he put it together consistently? Can he stay out of foul trouble? Would he ever be able to guard someone like Krstic or Rasheed, or anyone better than Stanley Roberts? I say keep him for another year or two, get a big man's coach to work with him, and if he still commits stupid fouls and makes mental mistakes, it will be time for him to move on.

Tinsley - if he could return to the form of post-brawl last year, prior to his foot injury, I would fully support him. He had an extra drive in him at that time that clearly showed in his performance. Since that foot injury though, I have not seen that drive within him. At that time, you knew he was going to be a pest on defense, penetrate every time down the floor, and generally be a cancer eating away at the other team, rather than his own team. Unfortunately this year, his cancerous tendencies mutated into a form that caused issues with his own team. Luckily, we had a consummate professional in AJ step up and once again save our season. We don't need both AJ and Tinsley.

Sarunas - I was highly disappointed with, but I'm not sure it's entirely his fault. After watching what Phil Jackson has done with Sasha Vujacic, I'm beginning to think that Sarunas just has not been coached properly, or that Carlisle didn't get the most out of him this year. He needed someone to tutor him well in the NBA game for his transition, and I don't think he got it this year.

Gill - well, he's Gill. I doubt we'll see re-signage.

bulletproof
05-05-2006, 12:02 PM
1. Go after KG. Granger's off the table, but other than that you talk. If they bite on JO+Tinsley, you take the money and run. Heck, I'd include our #17, unless there's anybody there we really like. Swap our first-rounder for their second-rounder? Done. Include Harrison? Maybe, if we get more back.

You won't get KG without giving up Danny. Tinsley has no trade value whatsoever. But I suspect if KG goes anywhere, it'll be Chicago. They have a lot more to offer in the way of draft picks and talent. JO + Tins ain't gonna get it done.

Anthem
05-05-2006, 12:19 PM
You won't get KG without giving up Danny. Tinsley has no trade value whatsoever. But I suspect if KG goes anywhere, it'll be Chicago. They have a lot more to offer in the way of draft picks and talent. JO + Tins ain't gonna get it done.
I'm not seeing it. You're right that Tinsley's trade value is in the cellar right now, but I don't see any Chicago deal that comes close to JO+Granger.

Regardless, I agree with Donnie that there aren't many guys I'd consider trading JO for. KG is one. If we're looking for change for its own sake, I'd consider JO for Bosh. I don't know what the latest is, if they think they can keep him or not. I'd be happy with a Harrison/Bosh/Granger frontline.

bulletproof
05-05-2006, 12:23 PM
I don't see Toronto trading Bosh.

Unclebuck
05-05-2006, 12:26 PM
I admit I haven't read this whole thread yet.

In order to get rid of players like Jax and Tinsley you have to make it a package deal. You have to include players that teams want like harrison, Foster, Saras, AJ, and Cro due to his expiring contract, and you might also have to take back a contract that you don't want. If you do those two things you can get rid of Tinsley and Jax and get some decent players.

J.O is a different story obviously. If the Pacers cannot get quality, then I don't want him traded.

Anthem
05-05-2006, 12:26 PM
I don't see Toronto trading Bosh.
Well, I wouldn't if I was them. But there was a rumor they thought he was leaving, and if so Jermaine's a nice consolation prize.

KG makes the most sense for both teams, we'd just have to put together a package that would work for Minny. They've got a ton of bad contracts; it wouldn't surprise me if it required taking some of those back.

Unclebuck
05-05-2006, 12:34 PM
I think if we offer J.O., Harrison and Tinsley for KG and agree to take one of their terrible contracts it would at least get Mchale thinking. he would consider it

bulletproof
05-05-2006, 12:35 PM
In order to get rid of players like Jax and Tinsley you have to make it a package deal. You have to include players that teams want like Harrison, Foster, Saras, AJ, and Cro due to his expiring contract, and you might also have to take back a contract that you don't want. If you do those two things you can get rid of Tinsley and Jax and get some decent players.

You guys are funny. You keep leaving Danny out of these package deals. He'll be the first player other teams ask for to be included in a trade.

bulletproof
05-05-2006, 12:36 PM
I think if we offer J.O., Harrison and Tinsley for KG and agree to take one of their terrible contracts it would at least get Mchale thinking. he would consider it

McHale would first ask for Granger to be included.

Jose Slaughter
05-05-2006, 12:50 PM
You could always trade a player to a team under the cap for a draft pick.

Tins to the Raptors for a 2nd rounder?

Tins & Jax for one of their #1's?

Unclebuck
05-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Yez teams would want granger, but that doesn't mean we have to include him

sweabs
05-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Well, I wouldn't if I was them. But there was a rumor they thought he was leaving, and if so Jermaine's a nice consolation prize.

I guess you missed this thread: http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20718&highlight=bosh

It was a nice day for Raptors fans. However, very much overshadowed in the media at the time because of the firing of Pat Quinn.

ChicagoJ
05-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Right, but they're going to want a consolation prize when we say "no" to Granger.

Which means that other players with value are going to be part of deals. Foster & AJ are likely to be traded as "sweeteners" thrown in just to get a deal done.

We are not dealing from a position of strenght. The only players we want to keep are the only players other teams want.

Unclebuck
05-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Right, but they're going to want a consolation prize when we say "no" to Granger.

Which means that other players with value are going to be part of deals. Foster & AJ are likely to be traded as "sweeteners" thrown in just to get a deal done.

We are not dealing from a position of strenght. The only players we want to keep are the only players other teams want.

Yes that is true and that is why 10 players might be gone

FrenchConnection
05-05-2006, 01:13 PM
I guess you missed this thread: http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20718&highlight=bosh

It was a nice day for Raptors fans. However, very much overshadowed in the media at the time because of the firing of Pat Quinn.

Golf Leafs Golf! Golf Leafs Golf!

(Sorry, couldn't help it)

Anthem
05-05-2006, 01:39 PM
At least. Granger's the only guy I wouldn't trade.

I see our biggest bargaining chips as AJ, Foster, and Croshere (or at least his contract). Harrison and Saras also could be. Jermaine is a headliner, not a bargaining chip. We're down on Jackson, but he's got some value. I hate to say it, but Tinsley's value is in the toilet. Pollard, FJ, Peja, and Gill are all UFAs. Who am I forgetting?

Maybe we just need to trade for the best players possible, then go after some low-end free agents. DerMarr Johnson, Jay Williams, Rasual Butler, and Adrian Griffin are all available. I'd be fine with any of them on the team.

bulletproof
05-05-2006, 01:44 PM

If that's the case, I suspect Rick will remain.

Mourning
05-05-2006, 01:48 PM

Generally speaking, yes, we won't be dealing from a position of strength. But, you can't deny that this really depends on the teams we are talking about.

Like rcarey pointed out the Nuggets and Warriors have serious issues to resolve and difficult choices to make aswell this summer. You might add teams like Portland, Philly and the Knicks to that list aswell.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Putnam
05-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Jackson has been crappy for us, but he is not without value. Other teams saw Jack play hard all year and put up some good numbers, and they know he has contributed to a championship team in the past. He is in good physical shape. Other teams understand that the Pacers locker room was a mess and that Jack is likely to be less of a problem in a better situation.

Jack will have trade value. Tinsley, on the other hand, may not. He's got $33 million coming to him through 2011. He's not worth that even when he is healthy, which is never.

What are the chances that the Simons would agree to buy out Tinsley's contract?

Anthem
05-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Jack will have trade value. Tinsley, on the other hand, may not. He's got $33 million coming to him through 2011. He's not worth that even when he is healthy, which is never.
When he's healthy, that's a steal.

denyfizle
05-05-2006, 04:38 PM
I'll try to trade JT to New York for a draft pick or an expiring contract. Trade JO and Jack to snag a superstar or a rising star. Replace Rick Carlisle with a coach that has no personal ties with Larry Bird. Get defensive players like Raja Bell and Reggie Evans to get our team defense back to where it was three years ago. Re-sign Cro if the price is right. Let Pollard, Jones and Peja walk. Pretty vague huh, but here's a rough outline of my dream core lineup for next year...

Anthony Johnson
Danny Granger
Sarunas Jasikevicius
Jeff Foster
Bonzi Wells
Ben Wallace (why not?!?!?!) he's unrestricted.
Reggie Evans
Austin Croshere
Al Harrington

Eindar
05-05-2006, 04:52 PM
I think a little bit of tinkering will be near impossible, because just about every on of the players we don't want here anymore will need to be packaged with someone we want to keep. Any more than 1 trade like that, and you might as well blow up the team from the top down, because you'll be having a new team anyways.

The only guy I absolutely want back next year is Granger. As for the rest of the team, as long as we get reasonable value in return, I could care less. I think if you're looking at trading AJ or Tinsley, you trade AJ, because his trade value is so high right now, whereas Tinsley's is so low. Or, trade them both, just make sure you get a starting caliber PG via trade or draft.

As for the full-scale dismantling of the team, I'd be ok with that. That starts with JO, obviously, and I'd be willing to take young players, expiring deals, and picks. I don't need to get a star for JO, and I don't mind being in the lottery for 2-3 years, either. What I do mind is continuing to field a team that isn't a contender, isn't getting better, and IS getting older, while losing overall "value" every year. Continuing down that path is a good way to end up with a bunch of overpaid aging veterans that nobody wants, and no picks or cap flexibility. That's the kind of nightmare scenario that might just end my ability to root for this team.

Bball
05-05-2006, 05:00 PM
When he's healthy, that's a steal.

And when he's not healthy... that's stealing...

:-p

-Bball

CableKC
05-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Let's approach this from a standpoint of which teams have a need that we can fill ( for now...let's ignore the obvious problems that SJax and Tinsley have and look at it from a need point of view ).

Which teams would be looking to upgrade or improve their PG and/or a SG rotation?

Possible teams that may have a need to improve their PG rotation:

Hawks
Sixers
Celtics
Knicks
Raptors
Lakers
TWolves

Possible teams that may have a need to improve their SG rotation:

Raptors
Bobcats
Magic
Jazz
Blazers
Nuggets
Hornets
Rockets

Of those teams that have a need to upgrade.....which teams have redundant players that they can part with that would fit our needs?

ChicagoJ
05-05-2006, 05:05 PM
It all balances out to a fair contract.

:smartass:

SoupIsGood
05-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Why can't we just jettison the problem players for whatever draft picks we can get?

It's not as if we're going to become contenders in a year. I have no problem with going young and building through the draft, with Granger and Harrison as our first two young pieces.

brichard
05-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Why can't we just jettison the problem players for whatever draft picks we can get?

It's not as if we're going to become contenders in a year. I have no problem with going young and building through the draft, with Granger and Harrison as our first two young pieces.

Can you do that? Can you trade an 8 Million guy a year for draft picks? I'm not sure how the CBA addresses that.

DisplacedKnick
05-06-2006, 05:32 AM
Can you do that? Can you trade an 8 Million guy a year for draft picks? I'm not sure how the CBA addresses that.

Well, 8 million would be tough but you let the other team draft the guy you want - that way they have cap value.

Or that's how it worked under the last CBA - hadn't heard it was changed with this one.