PDA

View Full Version : The season is over and nobody cares.

Anthem
05-04-2006, 10:39 PM
I've never watched the playoffs end with a playoff loss that hurt so little.

Evidently that's true of the rest of the board, as well.

Say what you want about Zeke's teams, but I cared about them.

SoupIsGood
05-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Wrong!

Lord Helmet
05-04-2006, 10:41 PM

Normally, I'm hurt and pissed.

I was hurt and pissed for only 30 minutes or so. I am jealous of teams that are still playing, though.

I do still care, though. It just didn't hurt AS much, because I didn't expect a win tonight.

Roaming Gnome
05-04-2006, 10:41 PM
You know...eventhough this team sucked to watch, I'll admit...it still felt like I got kicked in the gut watching our season come to an end!

sweabs
05-04-2006, 10:42 PM
This still hurts. I never like losing...and I don't like the fact that I don't get to watch my favourite team play until October (Oh God...that's a freaking long time).

However, I have been looking forward to this offseason for a very long time. Bring it on, and make some moves. I'm ready...this could be more interesting than the actual 2005-2006 season itself.

Jaydawg2270
05-04-2006, 10:42 PM
I still liked watching my team play, no matter how bad they are

RickDerris
05-04-2006, 10:43 PM
i think its because most years we expect them to compete for the title or at least the ECF.

this year, we knew they didnt have a legit chance, so we're just satisfied to push NJ as far as they did.

Unclebuck
I honestly felt a relief as I was leaving the Fieldhouse tonight.

I wanted the Pacers to win tonight, and I'll miss the games, but there is a sense of relief, and seing J.o and AJ on the podium after the game I think there is a little relief on their faces also.

Strange feeling as I was walking out after the game, never felt that way before

Lord Helmet
You know...eventhough this team sucked to watch, I'll admit...it still felt like I got kicked in the gut watching our season come to an end!
Yep. It always does.

Evan_The_Dude
I was hurt for AJ. I really wanted us to at least make a game 7 because of his effort.

Jaydawg2270
05-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Its going to hurt me more when the trades happen

Jermaniac
05-04-2006, 10:46 PM
It hurts cause I wont be able to watch Pacers basketball for a long time, and during bad days coming home and watching this team play took my mind of the problems I have.

And it might have been the last game Jermaine played as a Pacer.

IUColtPacerFan
05-04-2006, 10:46 PM
I still hate that the Pacers lost (especially since I don't think the Nets are very good) and am also jealous of those fans with teams still in it (I think I will be a Mavs fan the rest of their season). But, I will admit that this loss doesn't even sniff how completely devastated I was last year in the last loss knowing it was Reggie's last game and seeing that team overachieve all year. The two losses couldn't be farther apart in terms of my being upset about them.

Lord Helmet
05-04-2006, 10:47 PM
It hurts cause I wont be able to watch Pacers basketball for a long time, and during bad days coming home and watching this team play took my mind of the problems I have.

And it might have been the last game Jermaine played as a Pacer.
The Pacers are an escape from school for me. This sucks, and I'll really miss it.

Lord Helmet
05-04-2006, 10:48 PM
I was hurt for AJ. I really wanted us to at least make a game 7 because of his effort.
AJ deserved a game 7 at the LEAST.

:(

BoomBaby31
05-04-2006, 10:57 PM
It hurts, but I don't feel some players put 100% into it. Peja could of showed up he isn't hurt that bad, and where is Tinsley. It just pisses me off. There is going to be some major changes this offseason. I'm always excited about next season, how far is september? :)

BlueNGold
05-04-2006, 10:58 PM
It was a painful year and I think everyone gets the sense the team is going to rebuild, which is a good thing. The Reggie Miller era is over and it is time to restart from scratch.

I know people will disagree with this, but we do need to trade JO and much of this injury riddled team for young talent and draft picks. As long as we have JO and a supporting cast, we will probably be just good enough to make the playoffs and miss the lottery.

We also need a new coach. I like RC, but the truth is, players do not like playing for RC....and when the players aren't happy, ain't nobody happy.

...but what really scares me for the future is LB's judgment as GM.

D-BONE
05-04-2006, 10:58 PM
I don't think anybody on here doesn not feel the disappointment that the Pacers lost in the playoffs. On the other hand, I do care. I care about the team making move to make it better in the coming years.

That said, for me the sensation of losing this early in the post season reminds me of staying around MSA until it was empty after we lost our last home game to the Hawks after the 87 playoffs. The feeling was like what will happen from here? How will this team react/develop going forward?

Kegboy
05-04-2006, 11:04 PM
The only thing I feel is dread over having to sit through all the mock trades for the next two months.

SoupIsGood
05-04-2006, 11:06 PM
The only thing I feel is dread over having to sit through all the mock trades for the next two months.

Oh god.

I hate the offseason.

BlueNGold
05-04-2006, 11:09 PM

How about this for a silver lining? Maybe the Ron Artest trade saga will help the Pacers in a rebuilding effort. They probably have a very good idea of what many of the teams are willing to give for nearly all of our players.

Kegboy
05-04-2006, 11:12 PM
How about this for a silver lining? Maybe the Ron Artest trade saga will help the Pacers in a rebuilding effort. They probably have a very good idea of what many of the teams are willing to give for nearly all of our players.

That's a good point.

BlueNGold
05-04-2006, 11:13 PM
That's a good point.

I guess Ron was worth something afterall.

sunsun
05-04-2006, 11:15 PM
PLZ trade team's doctor.....:(

pacerwaala
05-04-2006, 11:19 PM

The reason you cared about Zeke's, Bird's and Brown's teams was their atitude night in and night out. They were disciplined and gave effort on every night. The common denominator in all those three teams was Reggie Miller. Any team that he was on brought it every night, he had that kind of influence and was the glue of those teams. With him gone, we have a bunch of young guys who take things for granted and don't care as much. I think we as fans see that and are just reciprocating by not caring as much.

But actually, it does hurt!

Unclebuck
05-04-2006, 11:21 PM
The reason you cared about Zeke's, team was their atitude night in and night out. They were disciplined and gave effort on every night.

I just fell out of my chair. Isiah's teams were disciplined? No way, in fact the exact opposite

ChicagoJ
05-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Nope, I'm glad its over. Can't wait for a new coaching staff, a new roster and next season.

Go Pacers! But I've lost interest in these imposters wearing blue-and-gold.

Kegboy
05-04-2006, 11:24 PM
I just fell out of my chair. Isiah's teams were disciplined? No way, in fact the exact opposite

Oh, come on Buck. Even during The Collapse, that team showed more character than what we've seen the last few months.

Unclebuck
05-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Oh, come on Buck. Even during The Collapse, that team showed more character than what we've seen the last few months.

This years team never went through a 2-13 stretch like in Isiah's last season.

And that team had more talent, quite a bit more and it was pretty healthy too

joeyd
05-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Given the hand that they were forced to play tonight, this team, especially AJ, gave a heroic effort. It stinks that we couldn't get to game 7.

Oh well, can't mourn forever....I hope we get something decent for Tinsley. I want to see AJ starting next year. Give me Granger, Jax, Pollard, Cro, and Jones. Unsure about JO and Peja. Peja, we suspected you were a bit fragile. Just thought the back would give out before the knee. Foster, you can come back if you practice your free throws over the summer.

Jermaniac
05-04-2006, 11:30 PM
They where young and they had a crap load of problems around them. I would give anything up to go back to those days with Zeke, those where fun times to me watching those players grow. Much better then watching Paint Dry Basketball, Ricky likes to play.

Unclebuck
05-04-2006, 11:32 PM
They where young and they had a crap load of problems around them. I would give anything up to go back to those days with Zeke, those where fun times to me watching those players grow. Much better then watching Paint Dry Basketball, Ricky likes to play.

That's it goodnight. You actually want to go back to the Isiah days.

ChicagoJ
05-04-2006, 11:33 PM
There's something smelly about this thread.

Jermaniac
05-04-2006, 11:33 PM
Yep actually had things to look forward to. All I got to look forward to with Rick Carlisle is players actually getting worse.

Kegboy
05-04-2006, 11:36 PM

And it won a lot more games even with Brad out (imagine that), family members dropping left and right, and nobody was accused of "quitting" on their coach or their team, except maybe Ron Mercer.

pacerwaala
05-04-2006, 11:39 PM

UB

I had Bird's and Brown's teams in the same sentence and was trying to show that Reggie had lot more influence on his teams than people here would like to believe. So, I threw "Zeke's teams" also in there.

Zeke's teams probably were bad in stretches but they never disgusted me like this team does with the atitude and body language. Zeke's teams were talented but young though! I am not defending Zeke (he should have gotten atleast one more round in the playoffs with those teams) but I could easily get myself to root for those teams. I still root for this current team but there is something missing!

Unclebuck
05-04-2006, 11:40 PM
And it won a lot more games even with Brad out (imagine that), family members dropping left and right, and nobody was accused of "quitting" on their coach or their team, except maybe Ron Mercer.

I accused the team of quiting on Isiah, in fact I know they did.

Are we forgetting Slick's comments in regards to Isiah. Basically saying that Isiah would never coach anywhere again. Slick won't say that about Rick, I'm 100% sure of that

ChicagoJ
05-04-2006, 11:43 PM
Had Isiah suspended Ron for a long enough period of time, or left him off the playoff roster (as he's now said he wanted to do), maybe he wouldn't have lost that team.

I'm not sure "Isiah" lost that team. Isiah couldn't control what happened to JO's stepfather. He couldn't control what happened to Tinsley's mom. He couldn't control what happend to Croshere's father-in-law. He couldn't control what happened to Brad's foot.

He could control Ron's meltdowns and every-other-game flagrant fouls. I've always thought that Ron sank that team because Isiah didn't control him. I'm revisiting that opinion in light of Isiah's comments earlier this season. And, of course, no coach has really ever kept Ron in line.

Jermaniac
05-04-2006, 11:46 PM
What did Zeke say about Ron earlier this season? I must have missed that article or thread.

ChicagoJ
05-04-2006, 11:49 PM
When it was rumored that NY might want Ron because Zeke coached him here, he squalshed it. Its in the archives somewhere, but I've got to disappear from here as soon as I hit "Post Quick Reply."

Good night. Thank God for the offseason. I've never said that before, even during The Season We Do Not Discuss.

Arcadian
05-04-2006, 11:49 PM
The biggest difference between IT's team and this one is that the former had young talent that we could imagine getting better. This team doesn't have that same "potential" quantity.

A team with young players can at least say they will be better next year.

pacerwaala
05-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Had Isiah suspended Ron for a long enough period of time, or left him off the playoff roster (as he's now said he wanted to do), maybe he wouldn't have lost that team.

I'm not sure "Isiah" lost that team. Isiah couldn't control what happened to JO's stepfather. He couldn't control what happened to Tinsley's mom. He couldn't control what happend to Croshere's father-in-law. He couldn't control what happened to Brad's foot.

He could control Ron's meltdowns and every-other-game flagrant fouls. I've always thought that Ron sank that team because Isiah didn't control him. I'm revisiting that opinion in light of Isiah's comments earlier this season. And, of course, no coach has really ever kept Ron in line.

Did Isiah really come out and say that he wanted to leave Ron off the playoff roster.

Isiah did not lose that team but his in game coaching was lacking (calling time outs, defensive offensive swithces, etc, He got caught with Reggie on the bench in one game against Boston when we needed a three)
He had a eye for good talent and was willing to let the young guys play through mistakes. He had the gall and arrogance to think that he could come up with a new offense overnight, Quick or whatever!

Kegboy
05-04-2006, 11:53 PM
The biggest difference between IT's team and this one is that the former had young talent that we could imagine getting better. This team doesn't have that same "potential" quantity.

So, in essence, you're saying that Bender was the difference-maker?!

Go JB!!!

:bender:

Big Smooth
05-04-2006, 11:55 PM

Please speak for yourself. Thanks.

Arcadian
05-05-2006, 12:15 AM
So, in essence, you're saying that Bender was the difference-maker?!

Go JB!!!

:bender:

Man, that might be what hurts most knowing Bender is gone. Who is the Star going to fill our summers with now? There's a Bender sized whole in my heart.

larry
05-05-2006, 01:38 AM
Ah, it hurt. I knew it was gonna happen before the game. I still got my hopes up early, but it was confirmed after the 3rd quarter. Sometimes, your heart overides your mind.

gilpdawg
05-05-2006, 01:40 AM
I didn't care. I just wanted this season to end. I would have rather went 24-60 than watch this group. This group of players just doesn't have any heart, except for a few guys. I didn't even watch tonight's game, I watched my Reds instead.

Ultimate Frisbee
05-05-2006, 01:55 AM
Welcome to the offseason!!

Stupid Peja...

Mellow Peach
05-05-2006, 02:08 AM
Sad ending, looks like nobody cares.. :rolleyes:

They need to make basic changes, and when Rick Carlisle will be off the wheel, I'll be happy.

NorCal_Pacerfan
05-05-2006, 02:29 AM
I care.

ssmall
05-05-2006, 06:50 AM
I cared for this team the whole season, allthough it was painfull. I will still care if all of the players will be here next year...

ABADays
05-05-2006, 07:22 AM
There are a few of us that have been around since the beginning, or close to it. I think Pollard's statements pretty well summed it all up for me. Actually, the last 2+ seasons. I don't ever remember being so pissed off at a team.

FrenchConnection
05-05-2006, 09:21 AM
I kind of have an empty feeling more than anything else. This feels like a sad ending with no new beginning in sight. The cap situation is so messed up that I think that it will take years to get it all straight. This falls on Donnie, and I do not hve much faith that he can right the ship without a few years of bad basketball to clear cap space and get high draft picks. This is going to take some creative GMing, and we all know that creativity is not Donnie's strength. Also, we are seeing the emergence of LeBron and the Cavs in these playoffs. I am afriad that we will have another Chicago in our way for years to come, and LeBron is younger than Michael was when he finally got a team with which he could win.

Doom and Gloom, Doom and Gloom

ajbry
05-05-2006, 09:24 AM
It didn't hurt nearly as much as last year did.

grace
05-05-2006, 10:19 AM
I accused the team of quiting on Isiah, in fact I know they did.

Are we forgetting Slick's comments in regards to Isiah. Basically saying that Isiah would never coach anywhere again. Slick won't say that about Rick, I'm 100% sure of that

No, the team did not quit on Isiah. I'd go back in a New York minute to the days when Isiah was coaching (as long as Ron wasn't there).

As for not caring that the season is over I'm very upset that the Bulls season is over. :bawl:

grace
05-05-2006, 10:20 AM
It didn't hurt nearly as much as last year did.

I don't think anything can hurt more than last year. If something can I certainly don't want to find out what it is.

McClintic Sphere
05-05-2006, 10:38 AM

Amen to that. That's one of the worst things about this year is not only did we suck, but we have no one outside Granger and (possibly) Harrison who I think have not reached their ceiling as players.

Not only did we have JB back then, but we had Baby Al, Ron (before we knew), Brewer, who still looked like he had po, and we knew less about Jermaine's future stagnation. So you could at least imagine a much brighter future, even if it was a delusion.

BTW, AJ deserves a medal or something for his blood, sweat and tears.

Bball
05-06-2006, 03:08 AM
If the team didn't quit on Isiah I don't know what you call that tailspin we went into at the end of his 3rd year... capped by the roasting in the playoffs by the Celtics.

-Bball

Kegboy
05-06-2006, 08:17 AM
If the team didn't quit on Isiah I don't know what you call that tailspin we went into at the end of his 3rd year... capped by the roasting in the playoffs by the Celtics.

-Bball

Funny though, that JO and Tinsley were the only ones who showed up that series.

Unclebuck
05-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Funny though, that JO and Tinsley were the only ones who showed up that series.

No Tinsley had a couple of good games early in that series and then faded as the series went along. Don't you remember Tim Hardaway playing more and more as the series went along and he played most of the 4th quarter and OT of game 5. Tinsley would get torched by Tony Delk and then Mercer would play or who knews who else IT would put at point guard.

J.O. played great and so did Artest in that series, no one else did anything.

Kegboy
05-06-2006, 12:16 PM
J.O. played great and so did Artest in that series, no one else did anything.

Ron got burned by Pierce so much Al ended up guarding him. Artest didn't become the Pierce stopper until the next year.

Unclebuck
05-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Ron got burned by Pierce so much Al ended up guarding him. Artest didn't become the Pierce stopper until the next year.

Pacers team defense back then was terrible, that certainly didn't help. Pierce scored in bursts more than anything

Tim
05-06-2006, 12:43 PM

Unclebuck individual players had issues that effected their game.

Two players had deaths of parents, JOs dad tried to commit suicide and if I remember correctly JO found him as he was near death from a gun shot wound to the head. And the team did have some injury concerns, but not to the scale of the last two seasons.

The truth is during the last season the team was starting to learn how to win while dealing with very significant issues. Isiah wasn't the best coach but he wasn't has bad as people make him out to be.

As we can now see, when issues popped up after Ricks first year, he didn't do any better than Isiah.

pacerwaala
05-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Unclebuck individual players had issues that effected their game.

The truth is during the last season the team was starting to learn how to win while dealing with very significant issues. Isiah wasn't the best coach but he wasn't has bad as people make him out to be.

As we can now see, when issues popped up after Ricks first year, he didn't do any better than Isiah.

I agree that Isiah was not that bad as a coach (though his handling of time outs and personnel at the end of games was bad); he did play the young players and was part of the reason that they developed fast.

But to say that Rick did not do better than Isiah, when issues popped up, is not right. Don't you think what Rick acheived last year will probably never be seen in pro sports. He finished high in the coach of the year voting with a depleted roster. I am not so sure Isiah would have been patient enought to go through all that.

kerosene
05-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Somehow I didn't submit my post right on this thread a couple days ago. I expected whoever won game 5 to take the series in 6 so I was prepared I suppose. It feels like closure on the last two rollercoaster seasons we've had and maybe the end of an era. I guess we'll see what shakes down in the offseason but I think it's a good time for the team and the fans to start anew.