PDA

View Full Version : What did AJ almost say

Unclebuck
05-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Wow, my life flashed before my eyes. Anyone else watching NBATV and AJ's press conference.

He was asked what needs to change next season. He said the culture needs the chance but I swear that he said the coach needs to change. But then he started talking about the culture, more effort and more team play. Mark Montieth heard what I heard and he thought AJ said coach, but he said culture, I went back and listened again, and he did say culture. MM followed up and you copuld tell by AJ reaction that he did not mean the coach needs to change.

That was the strangest thing I've ever seen.

Wow, I about fell out of my chair

microwave_oven
05-04-2006, 10:08 PM
my mouth droped when he said that....my mom was saying something to be and I just waved my finger at her. I didn't breath unil culture was said

FreshPrince22
05-04-2006, 10:09 PM
where there's smoke, there's fire. You know it was on his mind.

Mr. Pink
ahh man..I was about to say AJ is my new FAVORITE paper.

D-BONE
Perhaps a change of coach would go a long way toward a change of team culture?

larry
05-04-2006, 10:11 PM
hicks delete my threads. wow i felt the same. he was saying culture?? wow

Unclebuck
05-04-2006, 10:11 PM
Perhaps a change of coach would go a long way toward a change of team culture?

You could infer that very well could, and maybe AJ feels that way, but AJ did not say the coach needs to change, of course the coach has an effect on the culture

Deadshot
05-04-2006, 10:14 PM
ahh man..I was about to say AJ is my new FAVORITE paper.

Personally, I like construction paper ;)

I wonder how AJ really feels though? Perhaps he does want Carlisle to go. But then again, Carlisle has given him more control than any other coach he has had in the league.

microwave_oven
05-04-2006, 10:14 PM
when the media asked what he meant by coaching change, he just looked at the guy in disgusted. AJ likes Rick....after all he is rick's perfect point guard

Unclebuck
05-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Classic moment though

Jermaniac
05-04-2006, 10:15 PM
I bet you started to cry. I wish AJ did say that. Cause we are going no where with this hardheaded fool as our coach.

Robertmto
05-04-2006, 10:17 PM
Well maybe he meant....already damn?

Mr. Pink
05-04-2006, 10:18 PM

Ha ha..oops :blush:

Anthem
Yeah, if there's one guy on the team that doesn't want a coaching change, it's AJ.

SoupIsGood
I'm thinking he means the attitude of some of the players.... Tins, Jax, Peja.....

larry
05-04-2006, 10:19 PM
I watched it on ESPN news and he said that at LEAST 3 times! I thought he said coach everytime! He didn't, I was in shock cause Rick was raving about right B4. hahaha, classic!

D-BONE
05-04-2006, 10:21 PM
I'm thinking the irony is that a new coach (as well as new players) is a quick way to reorient team culture.

Slick Pinkham
05-04-2006, 11:21 PM
I watched it live, and heard him say "culture" clearly.

I'm not sure what you guys were hearing.

:confused:

CableKC
05-04-2006, 11:26 PM

I wonder how AJ really feels though? Perhaps he does want Carlisle to go. But then again, Carlisle has given him more control than any other coach he has had in the league.

Carlisle himself said that he trusts AJ ( which is more then we can say about any other player on the roster ) to run the offense when he is running the point.

Moses
05-04-2006, 11:39 PM
I watched it live, and heard him say "culture" clearly.

I'm not sure what you guys were hearing.

:confused:
If you were listening for it, you heard it.

If you heard it for the first time without knowing he was going to say it, it sounded like he said Coach because I heard coach the first time to.

To be honest though, a new culture is a new coach in my opinion. Either that or the coach changing his coaching philosophies.

Peck
05-04-2006, 11:46 PM
I watched this on RTV 6 & played it over & over & over & I still believe he said coach. In fact I am certain he said coach.

He may have meant culture but he did say coach.

LATE EDIT**Ok I just watched it on NBAtv & for some reason there it was clear as glass that he said culture. I swear to God though on RTV it sounded like coach.

I apologize for being wrong on this.

Unclebuck
05-04-2006, 11:55 PM
I watched this on RTV 6 & played it over & over & over & I still believe he said coach. In fact I am certain he said coach.

Well whatever he said he did not mean coach. RTV 6 did not show the follow-up question from Mark Montieth. Nor did they show the entire comment by AJ where he said culture like 4 times.

Peck, is it a little wierd to say "I think the coach needs to change" Does that make any sense. Compare that to, "I think the culture needs to change" followed by a full explanation talking about the cuture of an NBA team

pacerwaala
05-05-2006, 12:08 AM

He for sure did not say coach, not even close. He said culture. I listened to it live and therefore was not influenced by already knowing the debate about whether he said coach or culture. He clearly said culture. The look that AJ had when the reporter asked him about "what kind of coach,etc" told it all.

Kaufman
05-05-2006, 12:29 AM
Is it possible someone anyone can get us some footage of this?

easyv_25
05-05-2006, 09:52 AM
What I think AJ might be referring to is the NBA's/Pacers Hip-Hop Culture.- Somehow, I think the HH Culture played into the Pacers system with all of the Me First BS the Players keep talking about(JO, Jax). I agree with AJ if he were referring to the HH Culture, but I'm not saying that I hate HH.-I like Rap, Hip-Hop, and R&B, but I've learned alot from My Sports and Violence class here at Indiana U. about how much the Hip-Hop Culture has had an affect on the NBA and even in Society. The HH Culture has NBA players acting like they are Thugs from the hood, and playing games like it is street ball. (SJax, AI, Haslem, just to name a few of probably the 100+players) If AJ was referring to this HH issue, I'd agree 110%. I'm not saying that the NBA needs to bring in more of a Country, R&R, or Alternative type of Culture, but the Hip-Hop Culture has been a big issue the past couple of years in the NBA.--I got to take the side of David Stern here.

hoopsforlife
05-05-2006, 04:42 PM
What I think AJ might be referring to is the NBA's/Pacers Hip-Hop Culture.- Somehow, I think the HH Culture played into the Pacers system with all of the Me First BS the Players keep talking about(JO, Jax). I agree with AJ if he were referring to the HH Culture, but I'm not saying that I hate HH.-I like Rap, Hip-Hop, and R&B, but I've learned alot from My Sports and Violence class here at Indiana U. about how much the Hip-Hop Culture has had an affect on the NBA and even in Society. The HH Culture has NBA players acting like they are Thugs from the hood, and playing games like it is street ball. (SJax, AI, Haslem, just to name a few of probably the 100+players) If AJ was referring to this HH issue, I'd agree 110%. I'm not saying that the NBA needs to bring in more of a Country, R&R, or Alternative type of Culture, but the Hip-Hop Culture has been a big issue the past couple of years in the NBA.--I got to take the side of David Stern here.

I think your right about this. I have been thinking all day about how to phrase the same thing you just said. Way to go.

The hip hop culture doesn't work in the heart of Indiana. It's really the same problem IU had this year with Mike Davis. These players who were brought in to "our" teams are just that. They were brought in from the streets of NY (how many people from Indiana like NY anyway?) to play basketball a few miles from the town of Milan, New Castle and Marion. We are basically farmboys who like blue collar, hardworking players who lay it all out every game. We don't relate to players like Tinsley, Jackson, or any other player who brings a "big city" attitude to "our" team. Thats why we embrace guys like Jeff, Saras and Danny. They try hard all the time. Thats why I liked Ron. He tried hard all the time. He just had too much NY in him for Indiana to accept.

In my opinion thats why this team is going to change this summer. It has to regain what it had when a Indiana farmboy like Larry Bird was coaching it or it will struggle again next year.

We need real Indiana style players to fully embrace the team.

Of course, after the IHSAA destroyed our high school system, who knows what Indiana basketball is anymore. :shrug:

ChicagoJ
05-05-2006, 04:50 PM
I dunno about that. I've got a soft spot for NYC PGs. Vern, Jackson, Omar Cook, Tinsley, etc.

Kegboy
05-06-2006, 07:22 AM
I dunno about that. I've got a soft spot for NYC PGs. Vern, Jackson, Omar Cook, Tinsley, etc.

Starbury.

:devil: