PDA

View Full Version : Official Pacers/Nets Game 1 post-game thread. PACERS WIN.

Jermaniac
04-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Disaperead again, where the hell was Jermaine in the 4th QTR.

Yeah right, JO IS CLUTCH HE TOOK IT OVER AND GOT US THE LEAD.

If he didnt get that BS foul in the 3rd, it would have been as close. JO IS GOD AGAIN.

317Kim
04-23-2006, 03:50 PM
JO IS CLUTCH! 11 of his 15 in the 4th.

AJ hit those clutch FTs. Cro got the clutch rebound though..I'm just glad we won! :D

Unclebuck
04-23-2006, 03:52 PM
J.O was unstoppable in the 4th. I loved his left handed jump hook, much better than the fade away jumper.

Don't forget about Jeff coming off the bench and geting two huge offensive rebs in the last minute.

Freddie's energy might have been the biggest thing that enabled the Pacers to win the game.

No reason not to buy tickets for the playoffs now.

BoomBaby31
04-23-2006, 03:54 PM
GOOOO PAACCCERRRSSS...!!!!!

317Kim
I love how we pulled out the win in the fourth. Cro had that very nice rebound after he missed, got it to AJ where he was fouled and then hit 2 FTs. Cro, AJ, and JO were CLUTCH.

We shot 47% throughout the game but our biggest advantage came from behind the arc.

5 players in double figures. I love Fred. I'm really glad to see him back!

We WON :D!! :happydanc

Lord Helmet
Yeah, JO was the man in this game. Don't forget AJ, though.

BTW, I'll be at game 3.

NorCal_Pacerfan
04-23-2006, 03:55 PM
GO Pacers! JO was huge in the 4th. I wish he hadn't gotten in foul trouble, but that' ok, he made up for it. Cheers to Cro for the huge rebound and cheers to AJ for takin' it to the paint to get to the line.

As for Vince, all I can say is ouch, my tailbone hurts.

Here's to the critics: Pacers 1, Nets 0.

Aw Heck
At times, Vince Carter was the Pacers' MVP. How many airballs did he have today? :lmao:

Freddie played very well for his first game back.

If the Pacers can force the Nets' big 3 to keep forcing jumpers, the Pacers should win these next few games.

Unclebuck
I will say if the Pacers play like this in every game, the Nets will win the series, it might go 7 games, and every game might be competitive, but we need to play better overall

sweabs
04-23-2006, 03:56 PM
As I said in the game thread, the most important matchup is Johnson VS Kidd. Look at how AJ outplayed Kidd today on both ends of the floor. What happens? Now Carter is looking at extremely contested shots. Carter needs Kidd at the top of his game...otherwise he becomes reminiscent of his days in Toronto.

Great games by AJ, Freddie, Jermaine, Jackson all in particular. Foster also played very well - his tip in near the end of the game was huge. What a great win for the boys today.

OnlyPacersLeft
04-23-2006, 03:56 PM
you could tell JO was really pumped and wanted us to win. Even when he passed to the wide open 3's we got great looks and they didn't fall...wow we won! so much for that sweep talk huh? god if we get game 2 I think I'll have a heart attack...(funny some lady just as I typed that on tv a commercial came on and it said "If you have had a heart attack") LOL

cramerica
04-23-2006, 03:57 PM
I knew JO would get it going soon enough.

Fred played good and was key for us winning.

I thought Cro could of played much better. His defense was a little bit lacking today.

AJ looked like he was dancing and was very confused on that last play, but then he just went right to Kidd. Props to hitting the FT's. That can't be easy.

Jax was awesome in the first half but his shot selection in the third qtr was very questionable.

Jeff was again the energizer bunny. Good effort.

Scot's hair looks weird. Looks like he is trying to be about 10 yrs younger. Whatever.

I was surprised that Peja was not in the game at all during the big stretch in the 4th.

We were fortunate because NJ missed alot of key FT's and some wide-open shots.

They were fortunate for our stupid turnovers which seem to be dumb turnovers. We need to do a better job on ball control.

RickDerris
04-23-2006, 03:58 PM
how come he can make another thread about the game and i cant?!

im getting unfair treatment just cause i have different views than everyone else! discrimination!

vapacersfan
I loved everything JO did, except for when Vince got the tieing Jam when he did block him out.

JO was great, as was most of the team.

Why did Jax have to dissappear in the second half?

Bball
Is this the post game thread?

JO sat out most of the 3rd qtr making the 4th qtr HIS 3rd quarter.... An excellent strategy.

;)

When you guys were talking about JO having a bad game I don't think he was having such a bad game. He didn't hurt the team by forcing weak stuff and he remained a threat so the defense had to respect him. And by gosh he came thru in the 4th (I won't mention that missed FT that would've been extra nice to have had).

A win is a win and I am taking this one and I am sure the Pacers won't give it back, but there were some things that the P's do that bother. That 'wannabe' hero mode some players go into bothers me. As I said in the gamethread, we have some players who'll make a good basket or two and then the next trip up the court they will pretend they are now unstoppable and force something stupid. That is not smart basketball.

I still don't like seeing the ball in AJ's or Freddie's hands with the quarter winding down but it is clear Carlisle wants that or doesn't feel he should/can put a stop to it.

Altho it worked out today, was anyone surprised when the ball got into AJ's hands who would be taking the last shot for the Pacers? That foul call was pretty ticky tack so I imagine when the refs get a look at this the refs for the next game will be looking to give NJ a sympathy call or benefit of the doubt a few extra times next game.

I doubt game 2 will be any easier and I hope we didn't run out of bullets from Sjax.

I thought we were supposed to have the unstoppable inside game?

--

With Carlisle sitting Peja for what felt like all of the 4th qtr I still have to wonder about TPTB and whether everyone is on the same page. Bird can't wait to re-sign Peja and has wanted him basically since Bird got here, yet Carlisle hardly plays him in crunch time? :confused:

-Bball

Unclebuck
As I said in the game thread, the most important matchup is Johnson VS Kidd. Look at how AJ outplayed Kidd today on both ends of the floor. What happens? Now Carter is looking at extremely contested shots. Ahhh - reminiscent of his days in Toronto.

Great games by AJ, Freddie, Jermaine, Jackson all in particular. Foster also played very well - his tip in near the end of the game was huge. What a great win for the boys today.

If AJ can outplay Kidd, yes I like our chances, but I love AJ

Suaveness
04-23-2006, 03:59 PM
If we play like this, we aren't going to win the series. I don't know how we won, honestly, but we weren't that great today.

Kestas
04-23-2006, 04:01 PM
If he didnt get that BS foul in the 3rd, it would have been as close. JO IS GOD AGAIN.

I bet if JO would die or leave the club, Jermaniac would instantly spit on the Pacers and forgot everything about them ;)
kids like him are spoiling the good image of J.O. online ;)

anyways, looking at the stats it looks as if Nets lost due to Vince Carter. he missed 21 shot and still was not benched. such things are only possible in USA.
Pacers, on the other hand, had a rather ballanced performance, imho. they are still poor fighting for the boards. in that regard Foster stands out. Nets, btw, are totally pathetic in this regard. Carter got more than twice the rebounds their center Krstic got. ridiculous.

all in all, if Pacers manage to control Carter, they will surely win the series. Pacers have more pottential to improve their game, imho.

cramerica
04-23-2006, 04:01 PM

im getting unfair treatment just cause i have different views than everyone else! discrimination!
It's a post-game thread. Just go with it.

sweabs
04-23-2006, 04:05 PM
A couple other things that I wanted to point out...

Was it just me or did Freddie look unbelievable on the boards today? The obvious was that his shot was falling, and he brought a lot of offensive firepower to the table, but how about his work on the boards? He was skying up into the air above everyone for the rebounds I saw. It was an overall great effort by that man today.

You can see on his foul shot that he's had to somewhat change the mechanics of his shot to compensate for the injured hand (or at least it seemed that way), but whatever he did - I like it!

Austin cannot be guarding Kristic, that is for sure. I liked the hustle Austin brought today, but one thing that bothered me was his constant pump fakes out beyond the arc. They aren't fooling anyone. If you're going to do it, at least try and sell it!

Hicks

You started a game thread when we already had one. Then you made a smart-assed new thread. We typically start a 2nd thread for post-game commentary.

Unclebuck
As Rick just said, "AJ is someone you can count on" You know what you're going to get

Bball

I think it's because you have been rather abrASSive in your postings....

-Bball

J_2_Da_IzzO
04-23-2006, 04:06 PM

You should feel stupid anyway after making a thread with 8 minutes left saying JO goes missing and shouldnt be at this team.

Jermaniac
04-23-2006, 04:06 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/060423_oneal.jpg

OWNED

Bball
04-23-2006, 04:07 PM
BTW... Did Freddie get some type of cast/brace for his thumb instead of a wrap?

I was thinking it was reported he'd have a 'plastic cast' for it. Perhaps (if he did) it gave him more confidence and he was able to play without thinking about reinjury.

-Bball

Jermaniac
04-23-2006, 04:07 PM
I bet if JO would die or leave the club, Jermaniac would instantly spit on the Pacers and forgot everything about them ;)

You know how funny this is coming from a guy who's only reason for being a Pacers Fan is Sarunas? Shut the hell up you dont know **** about me. I have been a Pacers fan before JO and I will be one when he retires a Pacer. Cause he damn sure isnt getting traded.

317Kim
04-23-2006, 04:08 PM

OWNED

I LOVE IT.

Fireball Kid
04-23-2006, 04:09 PM
I still dont think we'll win the series. No way in hell is Vince gonna miss 20 shots in a game like that. Maybe that had somethin to do with Kidd having his problems with AJ but I think hes gonna play like a mad man in game two.

We have to get more from Peja because Stephen most likely wont have consistent games like this in this series. I dunno. It just seemed like we got lucky in this game.

Moses
04-23-2006, 04:09 PM
Turnovers and terrible reffing made this game close. It should have been a blowout.

JO and Peja had somewhat off games and we had way to many TO's. Runi seems to have learned how to get past half court when pressed. If Vaughn wasn't hand-checking the sh it out of him left and right, he would have been able to do something when he was in the game.

aceace
04-23-2006, 04:11 PM
I will say if the Pacers play like this in every game, the Nets will win the series, it might go 7 games, and every game might be competitive, but we need to play better overallI am confused. I thought our Defense was great today especially on VC. I feel just the opposite Buck. We played the whole 3rd qt without JO and was only down 1. That was a great performance in a big game resembled a game 7.

SoupIsGood
I still dont think we'll win the series. No way in hell is Vince gonna miss 20 shots in a game like that. Maybe that had somethin to do with Kidd having his problems with AJ but I think hes gonna play like a mad man in game two.

We have to get more from Peja because Stephen most likely wont have consistent games like this in this series. I dunno. It just seemed like we got lucky in this game.

I dunno, he missed pretty consistently last year.

RickDerris
sorry "J to da izzo", i didnt know that i wasnt allowed to express my views when i wanted to.

ill be sure to only say good things about JO, and ill make sure that they expressed before tip off, and after the ending buzzer.

SoupIsGood
04-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Our D was great, goo to see it back again

J_2_Da_IzzO
04-23-2006, 04:12 PM

Vince might not miss 20 shots again BUT will we get murdered in the paint like that again? Will JO and Peja have, by there standards a bad night again? Will we commit 3 times as many turnovers again? Will JO & Peja play less then 30 mins again?

Knucklehead Warrior
04-23-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm sure he did, but I do not remember Jax2 shooting in the 4th quarter. I think he had instructions after that horrid 3rd. To his defense, the rest of the team stood around and waited for him to do his thing in the 3rd, so the knuckleheadedness is spread around a bit.

In the end game, RC had his all defense unit in there -- jermO, Foster, Jax2, Freddie, AJ.

NJ played only 8 guys; we played 11.

NJ isn't going to miss all those layups next time, nor should we have 19 TOs.

Whatever the keys to game 1 might have been, there will be different ones for Game 2.

NJ is now 0-1 in the playoffs at home when they lead at the end of the 3rd quarter. :laugh: With the worst road record in the playoffs, the Pacers are now undefeated on the road. Smoke that Loughery.

Moses
04-23-2006, 04:14 PM

Yeah and no way in hell are JO and Peja going to have mediocre games. JO was just getting heated up in the 4th. This was a road game and we took it from them..with the officiating against us and bad ball handling. Even if we lose game 2, we got the split which gives us home court advantage. I think we are going to win this series in 6 games.

Mourning
04-23-2006, 04:14 PM

That's a very classless comment, particularly when it's from someone who didn't even support the Pacers before Sarunas came here. Booo!

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Unclebuck
04-23-2006, 04:16 PM
I am confused. I thought our Defense was great today especially on VC. I feel just the opposite Buck. We played the whole 3rd qt without JO and was only down 1. That was a great performance in a big game resembled a game 7.

I thought the Nets played a subpar game, I'd give them a C-. I'd give the Pacers a solid B in their performance today. I just don't think the Nets will play that bad in the next game.

Jax had a great first quarter and that really got the Pacers off to a great start, and overall he was very good today

aceace
04-23-2006, 04:19 PM

OWNEDI'll be diappointed if that picture is not on the front page of the star.

Pacersfan.
04-23-2006, 04:27 PM
The Pacers played just well enough to win. There is a lot they can improve upon. Those turnovers must be cut down. But think about it, they won with JO on the bench almost 2/3 of the game. If Jamaal can come back after this next game that will be a HUGE upgrade over Saras at backup point. We won without Peja's usual barrage of 3 pointers. Rick must also be given credit for this win.

Fred was huge this game. His defense, rebouding, and shotmaking were terrific. And then there was Stephen Jackson. His offense was terrific in the first half and really offset the loss of JO. What else can you say about his defense. He played great defense on Vince on game. This guy just wants to win. Say what you want about this guy, but he'll be there when the playoffs come around.

Hicks
04-23-2006, 04:28 PM
I thought the Nets played a subpar game, I'd give them a C-. I'd give the Pacers a solid B in their performance today. I just don't think the Nets will play that bad in the next game.

Jax had a great first quarter and that really got the Pacers off to a great start, and overall he was very good today

For someone who appreciates defense so much, you sure don't give ours a lot of credit when it was due.

OnlyPacersLeft
04-23-2006, 04:31 PM
sorry "J to da izzo", i didnt know that i wasnt allowed to express my views when i wanted to.

ill be sure to only say good things about JO, and ill make sure that they expressed before tip off, and after the ending buzzer.
ya know for someone as new as you...you really are being an arrogant jerk to people....Don't expect to last long on here with that crap.

Jermaniac
Jack played amazing D on Vince, too bad everytime he touched the ball in the 2nd half they put him on the foul line.

Unclebuck
For someone who appreciates defense so much, you sure don't give ours a lot of credit when it was due.

Maybe I expect too much. But the Nets missed some shots they normally make. If you tivo'd the game go back and watch how many layups they missed, they really missed a large number. Vince won't shoot that bad again.
And Kidd won't shoot 2 of 11 again

Pacers defense was very good, but it wasn't great, it needs to be better next game.

bulldog
04-23-2006, 04:32 PM
Our D was solid, but Nets also played pretty poorly. Peja can't play in crunch-time because of his defense, he's usually decent but he was gawd-awful today.

Hicks
04-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Maybe I expect too much. But the Nets missed some shots they normally make. If you tivo'd the game go back and watch how many layups they missed, they really missed a large number. Vince won't shoot that bad again.
And Kidd won't shoot 2 of 11 again

Pacers defense was very good, but it wasn't great, it needs to be better next game.

Pacers fans give their opponents way too much credit. Would you be saying those same things offensively about JO or Peja? How about "JO won't get into that kind of foul trouble again." or "Peja won't be that quiet again."

Or put another way, if our guys shot like Vince and Kidd shot, I'd almost bet we'd be seeing the ripped to shreds right now for choking and not having what it takes.

Unclebuck
04-23-2006, 04:36 PM
I think one thing that does need to be discussed:

Is Fred going to be playing at crunch time instead of Peja.

One thing that made me mad is the refs didn't let Granger play much

SoupIsGood
04-23-2006, 04:37 PM
I think Fre or Granger might be playing instea of Peja a lot in this series... especially if Peja isn't clicking on offense

Hicks
04-23-2006, 04:37 PM

That made me mad too. He played great defensive on Jefferson, then they call the lightest foul imaginable.

Kaufman
04-23-2006, 04:39 PM
As for Vince, all I can say is ouch, my tailbone hurts.

You mean coccyx. Your coccyx bone hurts.

Unclebuck
04-23-2006, 04:41 PM
Pacers fans give their opponents way too much credit. Would you be saying those same things offensively about JO or Peja? How about "JO won't get into that kind of foul trouble again." or "Peja won't be that quiet again."

Or put another way, if our guys shot like Vince and Kidd shot, I'd almost bet we'd be seeing the ripped to shreds right now for choking and not having what it takes.

OK, yes I think Peja will play a better game #2. However the matchup with RJ is a tough one for him. It appears Rick will want someone else guarding RJ at crunch time.

So Hicks do you expect Kidd to shoot 2 for 11, and Carter to miss almost everyone of his outside shots.

OnlyPacersLeft
04-23-2006, 04:42 PM
I think one thing that does need to be discussed:

Is Fred going to be playing at crunch time instead of Peja.

it seems rick is used to this stuff since he doesn't usually have a guy like peja (because ron was here and well..ron was never here per say, lol)

bulletproof
04-23-2006, 04:42 PM
Altho it worked out today, was anyone surprised when the ball got into AJ's hands who would be taking the last shot for the Pacers? That foul call was pretty ticky tack so I imagine when the refs get a look at this the refs for the next game will be looking to give NJ a sympathy call or benefit of the doubt a few extra times next game.

I doubt game 2 will be any easier and I hope we didn't run out of bullets from Sjax.

I thought we were supposed to have the unstoppable inside game?

Man, you just can't enjoy a win, can you? What a fusillade of negativity.

With Carlisle sitting Peja for what felt like all of the 4th qtr I still have to wonder about TPTB and whether everyone is on the same page. Bird can't wait to re-sign Peja and has wanted him basically since Bird got here, yet Carlisle hardly plays him in crunch time? :confused:

It's called making an adjustment. Freddie was more effective.

Hicks
04-23-2006, 04:43 PM
OK, yes I think Peja will play a better game #2. However the matchup with RJ is a tough one for him. It appears Rick will want someone else guarding RJ at crunch time.

So Hicks do you expect Kidd to shoot 2 for 11, and Carter to miss almost everyone of his outside shots.

I expect both of them to be streaky during the entire series, but if we keep them taking mostly outside shots, I don't expect them to bury us every game either.

indytoad
I like reading (http://www.nj.com/forums/nets/index.ssf?artid=690887) posts (http://www.nj.com/forums/nets/index.ssf?artid=690873) from other (http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=505276&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=58) boards (http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/showthread.php?t=261308). Like looking (http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/showthread.php?t=261275)into a mirror (http://www.nj.com/forums/nets/index.ssf?artid=690825)...

IndyToad
His own toadie

sweabs
That made me mad too. He played great defensive on Jefferson, then they call the lightest foul imaginable.

I know what someone's going to say, because it's already been said somewhere around here...and they'll likely bring up the call against AJ which sent him to the line.

And for those people I say - pulling the jersey is a clear foul. It's easy for refs to see - it's blatantly obvious and right in front of them...they have to call that. Something like that when the guy is up in the air can affect a shot more than you can imagine.

Hicks
04-23-2006, 04:50 PM
I've always hated with a white hot passion people who call for referees to IGNORE fouls to "let them play!" on plays like ours today. I don't mind that mindset if we're talking the middle of the game, and the defender brushes the man with the ball's arm 30 feet from the basket while he's standing still, and he doesn't lose control of the ball.

But whenever there's a legit foul to be made that earns someone FTs, make the damn call. They did the right thing.

Anthem
04-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Wow, you guys read the recap?

EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey (Ticker) -- The New Jersey Nets' playoff journey began with a subtle but significant bump in the road.

A homecourt loss to begin the playoffs? That's a subtle bump in the road?

arenn
04-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Regarding JO, he did get into foul trouble and was unproductive in the first three quarters, but the fourth really made up for it. Two things really impressed me:

1. He was looking for the ball and looking to score, but wasn't forcing things when nothing was there. There were a few times he got the ball in isolation but was too far from the bucket to be effective, IMO and he wisely passed out. I don't think he actually forced a bad shot in the 4th. The only real offensive mistakes I noticed were the travel and the missed free throw.

2. The team really looked to go to him when he started turning it on. That makes a big difference.

I'm sorry to win the game at the line - regardless of whether calls are touch fouls or take downs, nobody really likes to see a game decided at the line. Still, if it is going to happen, I'm glad we were the winners.

Next game, we need more consistency of play out of guys like JO and Peja. We need to do much better on the defensive glass. Watch the turnovers. And stay aggressive on defense.

PaceBalls
04-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Vince missed every shot he took outside the paint except one, gotta give some credit to our D, but I doubt that happens again.

The stats I don't like is the turnovers, us 17, nets 5, and shots attempted, us 64, nets 80.

The call that won the game for us was horrible, I don't care how big of a pacers fan you are. That game shoulda gone to OT. I am glad it didn't :) The grab of the jersey was insignificant, it seemed more like he got his fingernail on it. I would be pissed if we had lost the game on a call like that. just my honest opinion.

Pacers are gonna have to play better to keep winning games in this series.

BillS
04-23-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm concerned about some of the hesitation I'm still seeing on offense. On the one hand, it's good because it means (most) guys are looking to pass before looking to shoot. On the other hand, it means the pass comes a heartbeat late, allowing the defense to anticipate or failing to take advantage of a man with a step on his defender.

And our pick setting still stinks to high heaven.

Bball
04-23-2006, 05:08 PM
Man, you just can't enjoy a win, can you? What a fusillade of negativity.

I'll take the win but we're going to have to be better next game. What if Carter decides not to settle for the jumpshot next game? Or what if it is falling? I'm not going to count on his horrendous shooting from outside to continue, one way or the other.

And as UB has been saying... those missed shots weren't all the result of our defense.

I hope the team takes some confidence away from this game but I hope they don't take away any arrogance or satisfaction.

We got one on the road. It doesn't get easier from here... does a series even get serious until the road team wins? Now it is serious. We have to prepare for their best shot.

We'll need better than what we saw today.

I still don't think JO played badly tho (contrary to some here).... even early. He hung around and played defense. The foul trouble didn't help but for the most part he took quality shots, not quantity.

I can't say the same about Freddie or AJ tho... and in a close game one of those rushed shots could be the momentum change/killer the Nets are looking for. It's not a coincidence they make their shots (or get fouled) when they take shots in the flow of the game... and it's not a coincidence to see them missing when they hold the ball and force some garbage.

It's called making an adjustment. Freddie was more effective.

It's called noticing a trend even after we can expect to be seeing our regulars and our shortened rotation.

Granted, it could've been an adjustment but I have to wonder.

If this was the first time we'd seen it all year then I'd agree.

-Bball

Kegboy
04-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Wow, you guys read the recap?

I liked the end:

A non-factor through three quarters, O'Neal conducted a clinic in the low post in the final period as he worked over Jason Collins and Cliff Robinson, both very good post defenders. He fouled out Collins as he blew past him for a lefthanded dunk that gave the Pacers an 85-82 lead with 1:55 to go.

Unclebuck
04-23-2006, 05:10 PM
I've always hated with a white hot passion people who call for referees to IGNORE fouls to "let them play!" on plays like ours today. I don't mind that mindset if we're talking the middle of the game, and the defender brushes the man with the ball's arm 30 feet from the basket while he's standing still, and he doesn't lose control of the ball.

But whenever there's a legit foul to be made that earns someone FTs, make the damn call. They did the right thing.

Did you hear Rick's post game press conf, he agrees with you, and said the league has made that a point of emphasis. And I've noticed a big difference from what it used to be.

Alpolloloco
04-23-2006, 05:11 PM
That's a very classless comment, particularly when it's from someone who didn't even support the Pacers before Sarunas came here. Booo!

Regards,

Well I'm a Pacers fan since the days Rik Smits played in Indiana. I like most players on the team nowadays, but i don't like the fact that some posters are always picking on Sarunas. They are so narrowminded, calling JO > God. I'm sick and tired of reading the same bull**** from these guys, polluting these game threads this way.

Now I know there are more reasonable guys on this board and I sincerely hope we can stand together and stop the player hating!

CableKC
04-23-2006, 05:14 PM
When a team has so many turnovers and still BARELY pulls off a win.....I call it good luck and fortune that JONeal, SJax and AJ were able to somehow drag the team across the finish line.

I don't like the number of turnovers on this game......we were lucky to pull our hides out in one piece this game.

Bball
04-23-2006, 05:14 PM

Watch your mouth!

:tongue:

-Bball

Unclebuck
04-23-2006, 05:15 PM
Yes J.O was great in the 4th, but the question that needs to be addressed is why.

he didn't settle for that turnaround jumper. He was under control and patient and yet made his move very quick and I just love that left handed jump hook. That surprised Collins and CRob, me too.

Also he was very well rested entering the 4th quarterf

Isaac
04-23-2006, 05:16 PM

I know he's already been jumped on for this, but I laughed out loud at the irony of this statement.

UB is exactly right on the reasoning that JO was so good in the 4th. Every move he made was using his strength and power towards the basket for the finish. I wouldn't necassarily call his left handed finish a jump hook, but more like a power layup. The major key though, was him finishing going towards the basket and not falling away.

AJ had a couple of huge baskets, and I don't think its really going out too far on a limb to say that he's our most clutch performer right now. A couple of weeks ago I would have agreed that I don't like quarters or games ending with the ball in AJ or Freds hands, but AJ has made a lot of plays recently that changed my mind. He's a great finisher sometimes when he gets into the paint with the clock running down.

Fred Jones was the key to this game. Every basket he hit was a much needed basket. His importance to the win was so much more then just 15 points. I remember one of his threes that cut the lead from 4 to 1 seemed to really take some life out of the crowd and out of Jersey.

Every time Vince rose up for a 3 I smiled and laughed because that was a beautiful sight for Pacer fans.

I have this to say to every Jersey fan complaining about the last call: JO's charge in the third was a block, Collins was still sliding his feet. When Carter got the basket and the foul on the play where he got hurt, AJ was clearly set and that should have been a charge. Refs make some bad calls, and that's part of the game. Saying the refs handed us the game is laughable, in fact, I was pretty pissed with the refs as a Pacer fan for a good part of the game. We won, you lost, look for ways to fix it. Stop *****ing about the last play.

Indiana- 1 New Jersey- 0. Let's take them both in Jersey and come back home for the sweep. :)

CableKC
04-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Two things......

1 ) Did anyone discuss whether AJ should have clanked that last FT shot?

If he clanked it.....it would have given the Nets less then .9 seconds to rebound the ball and throw up a prayer from the other side of the court to make a win. There would have been little chance for them to setup a play and to even see the basket in the time remaining.

2 ) Croshere was way too passive on the court. There were several times when he had a good shot...but decided to pass it up in favor of SJax. I understand that he was the hot hand at the time of the game at the end....but still......if he has the shot...take it. I'm less critical of SJax clanking the ball then Croshere since he isn't guarded as much.

vapacersfan
04-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Two things......

If he clanked it.....it would have given the Nets less then .9 seconds to rebound the ball and throw up a prayer from the other side of the court to make a win. There would have been little chance for them to setup a play and to even see the basket in the time remaining.

2 ) Croshere was way too passive on the court. There were several times when he had a good shot...but decided to pass it up in favor of SJax. I understand that he was the hot hand at the time of the game at the end....but still......if he has the shot...take it. I'm less critical of SJax clanking the ball then Croshere since he isn't guarded as much.

I beleive NJ still had one timeout, so they could have gotten the rebound and called a TO.

I agree with your point on Cro. Esp when he passed up on that open 3 in the clutch. But he made up for it with that huge offensive rebound

Reggie4Three
04-23-2006, 05:30 PM
JO has a long way to go to be considered "clutch". One game isn't going to cut it. One series would only be a good start.

Mourning
04-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Well I'm a Pacers fan since the days Rik Smits played in Indiana. I like most players on the team nowadays, but i don't like the fact that some posters are always picking on Sarunas. They are so narrowminded, calling JO > God. I'm sick and tired of reading the same bull**** from these guys, polluting these game threads this way.

Now I know there are more reasonable guys on this board and I sincerely hope we can stand together and stop the player hating!

Hey, I don't like the picking on Sarunas either. On the other hand, let's be honest here ... he hasn't exactly played well the last few months. But, I still like him and have hopes of becoming something we could very well use.

Anyway, why provoke someone back if he made a comment like "JO>GOD" if before he made a comment on Sarunas? A comment or something ok, but I just don't like it when someones "fandom" is beying questioned, especially if such a "complaint" could could also be reversed a full 100%.

Either way, I didn't take a shot with my post at Sarunas, his fans or longtime Lithuanian Indiana Pacersfans (I like Sarunas myself too btw) just at the person who felt the needed to further some "bad blood" in the topic. I just don't like that.

Regards,

DisplacedKnick
04-23-2006, 05:41 PM
You guys are good.

I'll add to what other posters have said.

The Pacers can play better - but I don't think NJ can play much worse. Pacers game ball should go to Vince Carter. If he'd quit jacking up 3's they'd have won by 10.

Pacers big problem is TO's (that's stating the obvious). I think that if JO stays out of foul trouble Krstic won't be as much of a factor (he'll still be a factor though - he's a quality player) because he'll have to work more on D, esp. after Collins fouls out.

But Kidd, RJ and Vince really didn't play well on offense.

And the ugliest thing I've ever seen in my life was the Pacer offense the last 6 minutes of the 3rd quarter. Did the ball ever change sides of the floor during that quarter? Jackson and AJ both did a very credible Travis Best imitation - pound the ball for 20 seconds and jack up a bad shot. Ugh.

Good win anyway and if you cut down your TO's you could take this thing.

Robertmto
04-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Speaking of Travis Best - didn't he get cut by the Nets this year?

Kegboy
04-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Speaking of Travis Best - didn't he get cut by the Nets this year?

No, they just didn't re-sign him.

Robertmto
04-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Good Enough for me. Down w/ Best!

hoopsforlife
04-23-2006, 06:08 PM
Disaperead again, where the hell was Jermaine in the 4th QTR.

Yeah right, JO IS CLUTCH HE TOOK IT OVER AND GOT US THE LEAD.

God created the world in 6 days and rested on the 7th.
JO rested for 3 quarters and played in the 4th.

JO is not God. He's just a mediocre basketball player on a mediocre team.

Robertmto
04-23-2006, 06:14 PM
JO is not God. He's just a mediocre basketball player on a mediocre team.

Helobious! (Cheap Seats anyone?)

Jon Theodore
04-23-2006, 06:17 PM
we won by 2

sarunas shot 100% and had 2 points.

He is god

Robertmto
04-23-2006, 06:19 PM
Not tryin to push religion - but damn yall goin to hell! lol.

Anthem
04-23-2006, 06:20 PM
Great gravy. Talk about polluting the threads.

I wish Jermaine would be traded just so we didn't have to deal with this. Of course, then it would just be somebody else.

Robertmto
04-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Yepo - Jason Richardson

Miller4ever
04-23-2006, 06:26 PM
for the title !!

Robertmto
04-23-2006, 06:28 PM
for the title !!

uhh....huh?

Big Smooth
04-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Not tryin to push religion - but damn yall goin to hell! lol.

Um, well we did sell our souls to get this win today....er crap that was supposed to be a secret! ;)

Robertmto
04-23-2006, 06:30 PM
True - that or u paid off the refs for then to call that foul.

Big Smooth
04-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Great gravy. Talk about polluting the threads.

I wish Jermaine would be traded just so we didn't have to deal with this. Of course, then it would just be somebody else.

Yeah, every team has it's fan boys. Can't relate to it very well b/c while I've had my favorite players, I can always evaluate them without bias or at least I like to think so.

Hope Jermaine keeps it up and can avoid foul trouble in Game 2. The Pacers will need to play much better on Tuesday b/c you can be sure New Jersey will give us their best shot.

Big Smooth
04-23-2006, 06:32 PM
True - that or u paid off the refs for then to call that foul.

Bah, with all the bad calls New Jersey got in their favor throughout the game it all evens out. The Nets put themselves in the position to lose the game in the final seconds and even at that, they still had a chance to win the game after the free throws.

But I do hope the Nets players & coaches focus on the refs and don't worry about how Jason Kidd was a no-show and how Vince Carter got lazy jacking jumpshots again! ;)

Miller4ever
04-23-2006, 06:36 PM
/me laughs at loughery

Robertmto
04-23-2006, 06:37 PM
You have a point. However ther's no way that the Nets produing scorers will play like that again.

Jermaniac
04-23-2006, 06:39 PM
God created the world in 6 days and rested on the 7th.
JO rested for 3 quarters and played in the 4th.

JO is not God. He's just a mediocre basketball player on a mediocre team.I love it when so called Pacers fans are mad after a win. Its just great.

Miller4ever
04-23-2006, 06:42 PM
I love it when so called Pacers fans are mad after a win. Its just great.

yah thats true.. we won a damn road game and everyone is complaining

Roy Munson
04-23-2006, 06:43 PM
JO was not very good today. Three rebounds is pathetic for an alleged all-star caliber big-man. Sure he had a decent five minute stretch late in which he outplayed JASON COLLINS. I shudder to think what it would look like against Shaq or Ben Wallace.

I believe that the Pacers are in position to win the series. They just assumed home court advantage and that was with their top two scorers not doing much. Chance are JO and Peja will have games where they make big contributions. The Pacers have nothing to lose in game 2 and NJ has everything to loose. The pressure on NJ is going to be a big factor. Vince Carter is not good under pressure and hopefully he'll throw up 33 shots again. The more he shoots and hogs the ball, the better it is for Indiana.

Jumper
04-23-2006, 06:44 PM
Much credit needs to give for the collective defensive effort of Jax, Freddie, and AJ. These guys were huge in helping slow down the big three. They were a large part of the reason of Vince's "off" night. Kinda scarey to imagine what JO could do to this team with 40 minutes of foul troube free ball. I would expect that unless Peja is hitting he won't be in the game for defensive purposes.

And man if you were to read this board without referencing the score and just by judging the tone of the thread, you would think we lost this game by 10. Sure it was ugly, but man when was the last time we pulled out a close game? Its the playoffs and we were on the road and took the game. Good game Pacers.

Jermaniac
04-23-2006, 06:45 PM
yah thats true.. we won a damn road game and everyone is complainingI agree, the hell is their to complain about. Everybody said we have no shot and cant beat good teams, cant do this and cant do that. We just beat a good team in their house in the playoffs. STOP THE DAMN *****ING and enjoy it.

Big Smooth
04-23-2006, 06:46 PM
You have a point. However ther's no way that the Nets produing scorers will play like that again.
I agree but the Pacers can play better too. Jermaine could stay out of foul trouble and contribute more in Game 2, Peja can hit some shots and be a factor, fewer turnovers, etc.

I think both teams did not play anywhere near their best as a team but the Pacers got the win. Game 2 will be interesting as the Nets should come out a lot stronger and how will the Pacers react? Will they raise their level of play and make a strong push for winning both games or figure "we needed one, we got it already" and get rolled?

Robertmto
04-23-2006, 06:49 PM
I gurantee game 2 will be completely different from game 1.

Jermaniac
04-23-2006, 06:51 PM
I gurantee game 2 will be completely different from game 1.You got that right, Peja and Jermaine will be factors. Jermaine wont be in foul trouble the whole damn game, he has seen that no one on the Nets can come close to stoping him when he goes to the basket. He will foul Collins out again.

Big Smooth
04-23-2006, 06:51 PM
I agree, the hell is their to complain about. Everybody said we have no shot and cant beat good teams, cant do this and cant do that. We just beat a good team in their house in the playoffs. STOP THE DAMN *****ING and enjoy it.

Life is beautiful ain't it? LOL!

I really want Game 2. Drill that seed of doubt deeply into New Jersey's mind.

Robertmto
04-23-2006, 06:55 PM
You got that right, Peja and Jermaine will be factors. Jermaine wont be in foul trouble the whole damn game, he has seen that no one on the Nets can come close to stoping him when he goes to the basket. He will foul Collins out again.

Dont forget that Vinsanity wont shoot 12-33 and Jason Kidd will look to drive and dish more.

Alpolloloco
04-23-2006, 06:58 PM
I agree, the hell is their to complain about. Everybody said we have no shot and cant beat good teams, cant do this and cant do that. We just beat a good team in their house in the playoffs. STOP THE DAMN *****ING and enjoy it.

Than you first stop the Saras hating, pal.

able
04-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Than you first stop the Saras hating, pal.
????

Can the united Sara fans please end this kind of hassle? it is started to upset me in a way I do not like to be upset.

Jermaniac
04-23-2006, 07:06 PM
When he learns how to beat the press I will like him, I dont like PG's that dont know how to dribble the ball.

Alpolloloco
04-23-2006, 07:15 PM
When he learns how to beat the press I will like him, I dont like PG's that dont know how to dribble the ball.

OK, but your story is getting old. You've said this over and over again, we already know you don't like him. So if you don't like the complaining, START WITH YOURSELF!!!

Peck
04-23-2006, 07:17 PM

Shouldn't that be bones? Like "my four fused coccyx bones hurt".:D

Just messin with ya. We have to keep you Orthopods in line.;)

Robertmto
04-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Why is it that Lithiuanians (or Sarus fans in general) always get mad at Pacer fans for not likin Sarus? I understand that he had a GREAT career in Europe, but Pacer fans cant appreciate that until they see it. I will forever not care becuz he doesn't play for the Wiz.

owl
04-23-2006, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=Big Smooth
Yeah, every team has it's fan boys. Can't relate to it very well b/c while I've had my favorite players, I can always evaluate them without bias or at least I like to think so.

Hope Jermaine keeps it up and can avoid foul trouble in Game 2. The Pacers will need to play much better on Tuesday b/c you can be sure New Jersey will give us their best shot. better on Tuesday b/c you can be sure New Jersey will give us their best shot"
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++

It is called the S A S S A N Syndrome. There should be an award at the end of the year for the poster who most exhibits this type of irrational behavior.

owl

Unclebuck
04-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Jackson might have played his smartest game of the season. He didn't force things. He took maybe 2 or 3 bad shots. The sad thing is if he could play like this all the time, he would be a nice 3rd option, no make that a great third option.

VF21
04-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Complaining after a win? Oh, I wish I had that problem.

It ain't easy winning on the road in the playoffs. It doesn't have to be pretty. You got the W and that's what matters...

Take it from me. Things could be a lot, lot worse.

:)

Jon Theodore
04-23-2006, 07:53 PM
I think if your going to put the success of the PAcers today on one man, it has to be Sjack.

He set the tone early. ALso, Fred Jones was absolutely huge. If Jackson doesn't get hot early we don't win. It looked like it was going to be a blowout early when they went up 0 - 4 real quick. Then Stephen Jackson single handedly gave the team life.

Also, we don't win without Sarunas 2 points. :laugh:

owl
04-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Very true UB. Good game by Jax.

owl

SoupIsGood
04-23-2006, 08:00 PM
It is called the S A S S A N Syndrome. There should be an award at the end of the year for the poster who most exhibits this type of irrational behavior

Speaking of awards, don't those usually start right about now. The forum MVP race this year should be interesting....

cramerica
04-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Speaking of awards, don't those usually start right about now. The forum MVP race this year should be interesting....
I know I should be the frontrunner. j/k

Robertmto
04-23-2006, 08:09 PM

I'm hopin for a late bid for ROY. Wait is there a forum rookie of the year?

Jermaniac
04-23-2006, 08:29 PM
Speaking of awards, don't those usually start right about now. The forum MVP race this year should be interesting....Peck has my vote. Odd Thoughts >>>>>>>>>>>

Jon Theodore
04-23-2006, 08:35 PM
I think the entire idea of awards here is kind of stupid.

Hicks
04-23-2006, 08:41 PM
Then feel free to be tactful about it if you don't care about it rather than put others down (even passively). Thanks.

Unclebuck
04-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Here are Rick's comments about AJ

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Date=20060423&Category=SPORTS04&ArtNo=60423001&SectionCat=&Template=printart

Johnson hits key free throws to lead Pacers past Nets
Associated Press
April 23, 2006

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Anthony Johnson was nothing more than Jason Kidd’s backup when he played for New Jersey. Today, he backed up his new reputation — as one of the Indiana Pacers’ most dependable players.
Johnson made two free throws with 0.9 seconds left and played tough defense on Kidd, and the Pacers beat the Nets 90-88 to take Game 1 of their Eastern Conference first-round series.

“Anthony Johnson is a guy you can count on,” Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. “There are guys on your roster you know are going to be ready to play and take care of themselves and be professional, knowledgeable, they like the game. He is one of those guys who fits that description.”

Jermaine O’Neal scored 11 of his 15 points in the fourth quarter for the sixth-seeded Pacers, who became the first road team to win a game in this postseason. Game 2 is Tuesday night at Continental Airlines Arena.

Stephen Jackson scored 18 points and reserve Fred Jones added 15 for the Pacers, who forced Vince Carter and Kidd, two of New Jersey’s “Big Three,” into horrible shooting nights.

Johnson, Kidd’s understudy in New Jersey when the Nets made consecutive NBA Finals appearances in 2002-03, finished with 12 points and six assists.

“Everyone wants to label guys, label me as a backup point guard, a guy that can’t get it done,” Johnson said. “Those are the opportunities where you have to step up and make it happen.”

Johnson, who has played for six teams, was supposed to be the third-stringer on the Pacers after they signed Sarunas Jasikevicius in the summer. But with Jamaal Tinsley injured, Johnson has emerged as the starter, and one of the players most responsible for helping the Pacers make a late run to grab a playoff spot.

Carter had 31 points and 13 rebounds, but shot 12-of-33 from the field. Kidd was only 2-of-11 for five points for the Nets, the Atlantic Division champions.

“I had a double negative tonight,” Carter said. “I couldn’t hit a jump shot or make a layup.”

Nenad Krstic scored 22 points and Richard Jefferson added 19 for the Nets, who fell to 3-12 in first-round Game 1s.

Carter’s follow dunk tied the game at 88 with 32 seconds left, and the Pacers worked the clock down before Austin Croshere took a jumper from the corner that was short. The ball came back to him and he got it out to Johnson, who drove into the lane and was fouled while taking a shot that went in and out.

The foul was called on Krstic, but Johnson thought it was on Kidd. Johnson said it was a foul — “No ifs, ands or buts” — but the Nets weren’t so sure.

“Unfortunately we couldn’t come up the rebound and you like for players to decide the game, but you have to give Anthony credit for making the two free throws,” Nets coach Lawrence Frank said. “I haven’t seen a replay yet, but the foul on Krstic seemed like a really hard call.”

After he sank both free throws, Jefferson’s jumper from the corner was short.

Saddled by foul trouble, O’Neal was just 1-of-5 for four points after three quarters. But the Pacers kept going to him down the stretch, and he put them in position to take Game 1.

Indiana was considered a preseason favorite to win the East, but its season got off course after Ron Artest was benched following his trade request in December. Even after they finally dealt Artest in January, the Pacers continued to struggle while dealing with key injuries to O’Neal and Jamaal Tinsley.

Indiana went into the final weeks with no guarantee of a playoff spot before winning five of its final six to earn the No. 6 seed, a roll they continued with Sunday’s victory.

The Nets started quickly, getting dunks on their first two possessions. But the Pacers righted themselves behind Jackson, who scored 13 points in the first quarter and dominated his matchup with Carter as Indiana took a 30-24 lead.

Carter shot 2-of-10 in the period, missing eight of his final nine shots after an alley-oop dunk a minute into the game. Jackson was 6-for-8.

“A lot of games we lost this season was because we didn’t start playing until the second or third quarter,” Jackson said. “I think we came out and played in the first and it kind of gives momemtum.”

Notes: Peja Stojakovic’s first two shots were airballs. ... Carlisle said Tinsley, sidelined with a sprained right Achilles’, was considered day-to-day and the Pacers didn’t know his status for Game 2. ... Carter’s 33 shots were four short of the Nets’ playoff record, which he set last year in a double-overtime loss to Miami in the first round. ... The teams also met in the first round in 2002, with New Jersey winning the series 3-2 with a double-overtime victory in the deciding game. ... Nets reserve Antoine Wright was out with a strained left quad.

Jermaniac
04-23-2006, 08:56 PM
"Jermaine O’Neal scored 11 of his 15 points in the fourth quarter for the sixth-seeded Pacers, who became the first road team to win a game in this postseason."

Pretty good for Mr.3rd Qtr Baby

CableKC
04-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Let's just say that my enthusiasm was tempered by the 17 turnovers that the Pacers had compared to the 5 turnovers that the Nets had. That is bad......the only silver lining that I can find is that we played at such a high level that we were able to pull out a 1 pt win despite those turnovers.

You're right.....we should be happy that we pulled out a win....a road win at that....against one of the better defensive teams in the league. If we play like this going forward....we're not going to be as lucky.

SoupIsGood
04-23-2006, 09:13 PM
I think the entire idea of awards here is kind of stupid.

Why? It's just a fun sort of side-activity... you're probably taking them too seirously.

Robertmto
04-23-2006, 09:28 PM
I'm new here and I already like the idea.

efx
04-23-2006, 10:10 PM
I have this to say to every Jersey fan complaining about the last call: JO's charge in the third was a block, Collins was still sliding his feet. When Carter got the basket and the foul on the play where he got hurt, AJ was clearly set and that should have been a charge. Refs make some bad calls, and that's part of the game. Saying the refs handed us the game is laughable, in fact, I was pretty pissed with the refs as a Pacer fan for a good part of the game. We won, you lost, look for ways to fix it. Stop *****ing about the last play.

Indiana- 1 New Jersey- 0. Let's take them both in Jersey and come back home for the sweep. :)

While it's a statement I can somewhat agree with, if the pacers were one the other side of that call, wouldn't you think alot of people here would say the refs handed the nets the game?

Kstat
04-23-2006, 10:24 PM
I'm hopin for a late bid for ROY. Wait is there a forum rookie of the year?

Yeah, but this year's rookie crop is too strong, I think.

Gotta get in at least a half-season to get serious consideration.

ROY is by far my favorite category every year. I like giving the newcomers some recognition.

Swissexpress, frenchconnection, Pacesetter, Raskolnikov and rexnom come to mind. At least, I think theyre all rookies....

Tim
04-23-2006, 10:25 PM
I missed the game because I assumed the Nets would run us off the court, plus I had to work.

Therefore I am going to miss the next game, since I expect the Nets will blowout the Pacers.

brichard
04-23-2006, 10:28 PM
JO has a long way to go to be considered "clutch". One game isn't going to cut it. One series would only be a good start.

Word.

I missed the game today, but if JO is starting to play well in the 4th quarter than we all should rejoice. My experience has been that he tightens up late in games, but I'd certainly love to see him kick that habit early and often.

Jermaniac
04-23-2006, 10:29 PM
Yeah, but this year's rookie crop is too strong, I think.

Gotta get in at least a half-season to get serious consideration.

ROY is by far my favorite category every year. I like giving the newcomers some recognition.I think I'm going to give you a run for your money in the most argumenative award.

Kstat
04-23-2006, 10:31 PM
I think I'm going to give you a run for your money in the most argumenative award.

No, but you're a good bet to break my string of "poster you love to hate" awards...

indytoad
04-23-2006, 10:32 PM
While it's a statement I can somewhat agree with, if the pacers were one the other side of that call, wouldn't you think alot of people here would say the refs handed the nets the game?

Very true. That's part of the reason I posted a bunch of thread from the Nets boards. A lot of comments that would be exactly the same if the tables were turned (ie conspiracy theories, etc)... Ah well, I suppose it's the nature of fandom - not much to be done.

I think I'm going to give you a run for your money in the most argumenative award.

I'm just hoping the Poster You Love to Hate award is still around...

IndyToad
Whitens faster

Kstat
04-23-2006, 10:35 PM
I think my hate appeal has worn off over the years. I could be wrong, though...

Kinda like how bulletproof used to be a shoe-in, but over time I kinda took the torch away from him.

I think this is the year someone else wins it.

Chauncey? Never too soon to make a late run....

Jermaniac
04-23-2006, 10:35 PM
No, but you're a good bet to break my string of "poster you love to hate" awards...You won that too?

indytoad
04-23-2006, 10:36 PM

Yes, which is why the Reggie Miller 9/11 thread was such a brilliant move on your part.

You're always one step ahead of me...

IndyToad
Always wanted an arch-nemesis

Kstat
04-23-2006, 10:39 PM
You won that too?

2003- ROY
2004- non-pacer fan of the year
2004- poster you love to hate
2005- most argumentative
2005- poster you love to hate

I believe thats it.

I'll never be at the level of forum MVP winners like UB or Peck though.... that's a mountain I can't climb.

grace
04-23-2006, 10:40 PM

He discussed it when he was interviewed after the game. He didn't think it was that great an option because it was a home court clock keeper.

grace
04-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Um, well we did sell our souls to get this win today....er crap that was supposed to be a secret! ;)

You sold your soul for that crappy win? I think you should ask for your money...I mean your soul back.

Pacersfan.
04-23-2006, 10:44 PM
Reggie agreed with that last call, so it must have been right.

Big Smooth
04-23-2006, 10:45 PM
He discussed it when he was interviewed after the game. He didn't think it was that great an option because it was a home court clock keeper.

True. The Nets would have called timeout immediately and probably still had at least .5 to .6 left on the clock and in a position to win with a 2 pointer. Given that the Nets did have timeouts remaining, I didn't see missing it on purpose being a great strategy. If they are going to beat you at the buzzer, make them hit a 3 rather than a 2.

Hicks
04-23-2006, 10:47 PM
My favorite part is every year the winner and runner-up(s) for "Most Argumentative" argue the outcome every time after the winner is declared.

grace
04-23-2006, 10:47 PM

Are you in that big a hurry for the season to be over?

I have a question about the MVP voting. Is it "Most Valuable Poster" or "Most Volatile Poster"?

Robertmto
04-23-2006, 10:50 PM
So what exactly are the awards? Like what are the categories?

grace
04-23-2006, 10:51 PM
I'm new here and I already like the idea.

It's fun until you get beat out by someone you feel is totally inferior to yourself.

Do I sound bitter? :1oops:

grace
04-23-2006, 10:53 PM

Actually I 'd point to the rule book and ask where it says you don't make that call just because it's at the end of a playoff game.

Kstat
04-23-2006, 10:59 PM
So what exactly are the awards? Like what are the categories?

nominations typically start 1st week of may.

Here was last year's categories, but keep in mind we fiddle with awards every year:

Rookie Poster of the Year
Most Humorous Poster
Most Argumentative Poster
Most Improved Poster
Best Arm-Chair Coach
Most Pessimistic Poster
Most Fanatical Poster
Best Non-Pacer Fan
Best Foreign Poster
Poster You Most Love to Hate
Most Valuable Poster

Robertmto
04-23-2006, 11:00 PM
It's fun until you get beat out by someone you feel is totally inferior to yourself.

haha

Robertmto
04-23-2006, 11:01 PM
nominations typically start 1st week of may.

Here was last year's categories, but keep in mind we fiddle with award every year:

Most Humorous Poster
Most Improved Poster
Best Arm-Chair Coach
Most Pessimistic Poster
Most Fanatical Poster
Best Non-Pacer Fan
Best Foreign Poster
Most Valuable Poster

I would like to nominate myself for Best Non Pacer Fan, and Rokkie Poster of the Year. lol.

grace
04-23-2006, 11:05 PM
Most Humorous Poster
Most Improved Poster
Best Arm-Chair Coach
Most Pessimistic Poster
Most Fanatical Poster
Best Non-Pacer Fan
Best Foreign Poster
Most Valuable Poster

Not to bring up a sore subject but you left out "Best Kegboy".

Kstat
04-23-2006, 11:07 PM
I would like to nominate myself for Best Non Pacer Fan, and Rokkie Poster of the Year. lol.

Nomnations should start inside of a week. You'll be able to send in nominations then.

Last year's started april 27, but its all up to Hicks.

Kstat
04-23-2006, 11:08 PM
Not to bring up a sore subject but you left out "Best Kegboy".

Oh come on Kegboy was bound to take the "best Kegboy" award away from you eventually....

Bball
04-23-2006, 11:13 PM
If there was a 'most disappointed for the season' award I'd be in the running for that I think.

-Bball

Jermaniac
04-23-2006, 11:16 PM
OR "*****es The Most" Award. You would run away with that one. :)

SoupIsGood
04-23-2006, 11:17 PM
Are you in that big a hurry for the season to be over?

Oh, so it starts after the season? Whoops.

Robertmto
04-23-2006, 11:17 PM
OK Thanks

Kstat
04-23-2006, 11:18 PM
I'd say both of the above fall into the most pessimistic category...

And yes, bball, I'd say you're an odds-on favorite. Jay hasn't been nearly as pissy as he was last year.....

pizza guy
04-23-2006, 11:21 PM
I'd like to run for something, but aparently "The Poster Who's Always Right" isn't a category. :whoknows:

SoupIsGood
04-23-2006, 11:24 PM
I'd like to run for something, but aparently "The Poster Who's Always Right" isn't a category. :whoknows:

"Poster with the coolest Xanga" :shrug:

waxman
04-23-2006, 11:43 PM
Good ugly road win.... thats what you have to do during the playoffs.

Our defense was pretty solid... for the most part. We can live with Vince getting 31pts....if its on 33 attempts. He missed some tough contested shots inside, and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn outside. Jack needs to keep a body on him though...no reason he should have 12 or 13 bds. Jack likes to leak out too much sometimes.

The whistles seemed to take away JO's agression most of the game. But give the guy credit for coming out in the fourth quarter focused and ready to go. He dominated late, made good decisions and dictated the direction of the offense.

Peja didn't get much run today...but he wasn't aweful by any means. 12pts on 11 attempts with 5 bds in 25mins ain't bad. They really didn't even look to get him going. And Freddie was playing with so much energy it was tough to take him out.

Foster had some big bds....and played his usual helter skelter game.

AJ was steady and totally cancelled out JKidd this game. You hate the game winning play to be dictated by refs. But he was definately fouled,,,,I mean his body didn't go twisting around for no reason, Kidd bumped him for sure...and pretty much admitted that in post game quotes.

All in all we can play much better and we still won. Our two best players played under 30 minutes, we had too many TOs.

And I'm not conVinced that VC will want to take it into paint more after that fall. He may continue to settle for jumpers.

waxman
04-23-2006, 11:49 PM
I'd say both of the above fall into the most pessimistic category...

And yes, bball, I'd say you're an odds-on favorite. Jay hasn't been nearly as pissy as he was last year.....

Thats because Jay's favorite all-time player is gone. :D

Suaveness
04-24-2006, 12:04 AM

Kinda like how bulletproof used to be a shoe-in, but over time I kinda took the torch away from him.

I think this is the year someone else wins it.

Chauncey? Never too soon to make a late run....

I hate you.

larry
04-24-2006, 12:05 AM
I will say if the Pacers play like this in every game, the Nets will win the series, it might go 7 games, and every game might be competitive, but we need to play better overall
We can both play better. I remember winning road game 1s against Philly/N.J. but losing the series. I loved the effort & a post reggie win. j.o. is gonna get that reggie like fan reaction from me in game 3. 4 the first time. jo will have more energy from the crowd in game 3 than any other time in his career.

Will Galen
04-24-2006, 12:06 AM
I started another thread, but then decided to cut short what I was going to say. Since most of what I wrote about is tonights game I thought it should go here. The reason I'm telling you this is I haven't read this thread.

I've maintained since before the season ended that with some breaks that the Pacers could make some noise in the playoffs. They made their own first break by beating Orlando and thus avoiding Detroit in the first round.

They got another break when Jefferson missed that last second three pointer. If he would have hit it he would have killed the Pacers then and there. The way Murphy's law has been hitting us the last two years I'm a bit surprised he didn't make it.

I just listened to Reggie on the Mem vs Dal telecast. Talking about the foul committed on AJ. He said yes it was a foul, but it was questionable. Huh? Being a commentator he needs to make sense with his statements. That made no sense. Simply put it can't be both, it's one or the other.

Some question whether it was a foul and I have no problem with that even though I disagree. But if you think it was a foul how can you then say it was questionable? I think Reggie is trying to hard to appease people that say he favors the Pacers.

Another thought during tonights game. Some have wished the Pacers didn't make the playoffs. I was thinking how much Jackson was increasing his trade value. The thing is he increased it so much I'm not sure I want to part with him. (grin)

Hicks
04-24-2006, 12:08 AM
The 2006 PD Awards have begun; check it out:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20802

Will Galen
04-24-2006, 12:13 AM

I don't know why? You won best Kegboy! (giggle, giggle, snort)

Pacersfan.
04-24-2006, 12:55 AM
Charles Barkely called out that bogus blocking foul on AJ when Vince landed on his bottom.

larry
04-24-2006, 01:19 AM
When Fred is hitting the 3 he has to play. Remember how Fred roasted Boston in game 7 last year? I would imagine Peja will get the nod most often. J.O. at 100% is the 2nd best post player. 1. Duncan
J.O. > K.G.
J.O. > Shaq
Hmmm, maybe that's a little overboard.

Roy Munson
04-24-2006, 01:38 AM
J.O. at 100% is the 2nd best post player. 1. Duncan
J.O. > K.G.
J.O. > Shaq
Hmmm, maybe that's a little overboard.

JO plays 5 good minutes today, gets three rebounds for the entire game while playing against a very mediocre opponent in Jason Collins, and you're telling me he is the second best post player. I'm not buying that. I think he's vastly overrated.

PaCeRs_MaNiAc
04-24-2006, 02:04 AM
JO plays 5 good minutes today, gets three rebounds for the entire game while playing against a very mediocre opponent in Jason Collins, and you're telling me he is the second best post player. I'm not buying that. I think he's vastly overrated.

What the ****? did you even watch the game? Jermaine was out of ryhthm the whole game because he got into foul trouble which took away his agressive approach.

Seed
04-24-2006, 02:29 AM
Very important win. That's the first and last thing to remember from this game.

I think the main reasons we won were:
1. The unexpected contribution by Freddy.
2. J.Kidd playing below his average level.

Rick handeled the game pretty much as expected with the 3 rookies hardly seeing floor. I was kinda surprised though by benching Peja in crunch time. But it turned out to be a successful bet, so props to Rick on that.

Kestas
04-24-2006, 03:16 AM
????
Can the united Sara fans please end this kind of hassle? it is started to upset me in a way I do not like to be upset.

my post was actually about the game, but you all put the other thought forward..<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
well, I don't have to tell you Jermaniac is as fanatical about Saras as he is about O'Neil. in the opposite manner, however. <o:p></o:p>
you see, my point was that quite a lot of posters with Jermain O'Neil references in their nicks simply can't pass up a chance to express their http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=498431&highlight=<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
when your favorite player is being jumped on for no reason at every opportunity by people named J.O. or Jermaniac, you somewhat start to associate Jermain O'Neil with the hatred for your favorite player (read: you start to dislike O'Neil)..<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
however, I like him. I think he's also playing somewhat out of position and when used properly he is one of the best power forwards and that's pretty clear team needs him right now.<o:p></o:p>

and I never gave a damn about how classy my posts were.

DisplacedKnick
04-24-2006, 05:56 AM
Word.

I missed the game today, but if JO is starting to play well in the 4th quarter than we all should rejoice. My experience has been that he tightens up late in games, but I'd certainly love to see him kick that habit early and often.

During the 3rd whenever they went to bench shots JO had the scowl on - you could just about see the smoke coming out of his ears.

He was either going to have a big 4th or foul out about 3 minutes into it. He played with more controlled aggression for those 12 minutes than I remember seeing from him.

And at the time I didn't think much of it at the time but they didn't run a play for him the first 2-3 minutes of the quarter. Let him get into the game rhythm first which was smart.

Beowulfas
04-24-2006, 08:29 AM
JO rulez. :thumbup:
Go and kill :censored: Nets in their arena for the second time :devil:
Sweep them :devil:

Didn't You know, team with Runi always win the play-offs.
Doesn't matter he scores 2, 20 or 0 ;)
Go Runi, Go JO, Go PACERS!!! :buddies:

MagicRat
04-24-2006, 09:20 AM
I just listened to Reggie on the Mem vs Dal telecast. Talking about the foul committed on AJ. He said yes it was a foul, but it was questionable. Huh? Being a commentator he needs to make sense with his statements. That made no sense. Simply put it can't be both, it's one or the other.

Some question whether it was a foul and I have no problem with that even though I disagree. But if you think it was a foul how can you then say it was questionable? I think Reggie is trying to hard to appease people that say he favors the Pacers.

The Nets radio broadcasters had no problem with the call, saying you just can't grab someone's jersey and not expect to have a foul called. I figure if Nets radio says it was a foul, it was a foul.......

Unclebuck
04-24-2006, 10:18 AM
The Nets radio broadcasters had no problem with the call, saying you just can't grab someone's jersey and not expect to have a foul called. I figure if Nets radio says it was a foul, it was a foul.......

And if you watch that play closely, especially from the under the basket angle, Kidd bumped AJ twice before Nenad grabbed his jersey, so I think the ref said enough is enough and called it.

Fool
04-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Congrats on the win.

CableKC
04-24-2006, 12:35 PM
I am wondering why Kidd didn't take more of a prominent role in the offense. If he stepped it up a little.......they could have pulled off a win.

Seed
04-24-2006, 01:43 PM
I am wondering why Kidd didn't take more of a prominent role in the offense. If he stepped it up a little.......they could have pulled off a win.
Yeah, I'm still not sure whether it's just to say we won it, or maybe it was them who lost it.
I think Kidd is not the guy to force things (unlike VC), and he was having an off shooting day. I doubt we'll have this benefit in the next games.

Bball
04-24-2006, 01:59 PM
And if you watch that play closely, especially from the under the basket angle, Kidd bumped AJ twice before Nenad grabbed his jersey, so I think the ref said enough is enough and called it.

I suppose it depends on how you look at it...

On one hand you'd think if Reggie Miller could 'reposition' Michael Jordan and make himself a wide open target for a pass and game winning shot then maybe NJ could brush up against Johnson in the closing seconds of a tie game and maybe even catch his jersey for a split second without a whistle too.

OTOH... Pacers win!!!! :woot:

-Bball

Pacersfan.
04-24-2006, 04:53 PM
I think AJ's defense on Kidd really affected his passing and shooting abilities. AJ played him tight even when he wasn't looking to score, and as a result slowed down the engine that helps the Nets run smoothly.

hoopsforlife
04-24-2006, 07:39 PM

You would have won but you misspelled "apparently."