PDA

View Full Version : ABA Championships

ABADays
01-22-2004, 02:36 PM
It appears many of the members of this board were not around during the ABA Championships :rolleyes:

I was just curious as to how you view those titles in context with today's Pacers.

Shade
01-22-2004, 03:22 PM
It appears many of the members of this board were not around during the ABA Championships :rolleyes:

I was just curious as to how you view those titles in context with today's Pacers.

I was born in '78, so cut me a friggin' break. :unimpressed:

Slick Pinkham
01-22-2004, 03:40 PM
I saw the ABA champions as a kid.

The ABA was good, particularly by '72 and '73, and was the equal of the NBA by then, IMO. Man I was disappointed by losing to Utah in '71.

The offensive firepower of the champonship teams was impressive-- I remember confidently thinking that nobody was going to stop Roger, Big Mac, and Mel from scoring.

It's dangerous to compare eras, but I'd have to admit the defensive intensity was not as great then. At least, I don't recall the idea of a "defensive stop" often entering my young mind. I simply thought that sooner or later we would outscore everybody.

Maybe that perspective is unfair, and as a kid perhaps I didn't understand or appreciate defense,

but I think that today's Pacer team is far and away more focused on wreaking havoc at the defensive end.

It will take 60 wins and a trip to the finals, if not a finals WIN, to get me to say that this team is better than, say, the '72-'73 team.

Realistically speaking, I do think that today's team would make it hard for that team to score, and Mel and Neto would look pretty small by today's standards. McGinnis would still be a hoss.

beast23
01-22-2004, 04:08 PM
I've been around for every game, period. I was a high school sophomore during the first ABA season. So for the first few years I certainly didn't view the games as analytically as I do today.

I totally agree that it is very difficult to compare teams from different eras. But the crowd excitement during the finals with the Lakers was very similar to the emotion displayed during the playoffs in the old days.

As far as players go, you are right George was a boatload to handle then and he'd still be one of the top forwards today. And he'd get his rebounds today as well.

Roger Brown was a scorer then and he'd still be a scorer today. But I woudl have loved to see him go up against a defender like Artest or Payton to see how he would measure up.

Daniels, although undersized, would have done just fine today. He was a warrior and would get his share of rebounds as well as hold his own defensively. On the offensive end, he had a very nice turn-around jumper from 15 - 18 feet and would easily take modern-day centers away from the basket. He would easily outhustle most centers in the league today.

Buse was a little later, but was a top defender, assist man, steals man and 3-point percentage shooter back then, and probably would do very well today.

Billy Knight would probably get his share of points at SF as well.

Other players, like Roundfield and Hillman, were rebounders and shot-blockers back then, and I imagine they would be the same today. Both were leapers and would get their share of points around the basket.

But as far as teams go, just plucking one from the early 70's and dropping them into present day, they would probably be totally shackled by the defense. But you keep one of those teams around for a couple of years, playing under a coach like Carlisle, and after learning a thing or two about present day defenses, I bet they would be very competitive with the current teams.

ABADays
01-22-2004, 04:08 PM

So you don't know anything about the Revolutionary War or the Civil War right? Pacer History, man. Learn it! Love it!

ABADays
01-22-2004, 04:12 PM

So you don't know anything about the Revolutionary War or the Civil War right? Pacer History, man. Learn it! Love it!

The Pacers were in wars? :blush:

Why you . . . I outta!

pollardfreek
01-22-2004, 05:30 PM

What is this ABA that you speak of???

:P

Jose Slaughter
01-22-2004, 11:35 PM

First of all I'd agree with the points that Pacer Tom & Beast23 have mentioned.

I was in my early teens when they started their run of championships so my take on the game has changed a lot since then.

In my view the Pacers of that area were probably the most talented well coached team in all of basketball.

Like in todays game you needed the best player in the league to win a title. We had that player in Mel Daniels. If Daniels was the leagues Shaq then Roger Brown was its Kobe. Add in Freddie Lewis & Billy Keller plus all the guys already mentioned above & you have all the role players needed for success.

They simply out played & out coached just about everyone for nearly 5 straight years.

It will be difficult for todays version of the Pacers to match that, but it is possible.

We have one of the best young coaches in the game with a solid group of assistants. O'Neal is one of the top players in the league & Artest is to defense what Raja was to offense. In todays game, that might be more important.

The Pacers have surrounded O'Neal & Artest with an outstanding group of young talent. Things could get very interesting indeed.

Lots of similarities between the Pacers of the past & of today. This could be 1970 all over again.

ROCislandWarrior
01-23-2004, 12:00 AM

I wasn't born until the 80's so I missed out

I view it as: This team was really really good once and has alot of history
and only more to be written.

ABA titles are good and all...but I want (more importantly the players want) an NBA title.

Just Remember: History Repeats itself :D

beast23
01-23-2004, 12:23 AM

I wasn't born until the 80's so I missed out

I view it as: This team was really really good once and has alot of history
and only more to be written.

ABA titles are good and all...but I want (more importantly the players want) an NBA title.

Just Remember: History Repeats itself :D

You are right. The Pacers were absolutely great. And those of us who were old enough to appreciate those titles back then are in our 50s and up now.

And as sports fans, and particularly Pacer fans, there is one and only one thing we want.

And that's an NBA championship before our days are over.

For me that would have a very special meaning. I have the privilege of watching many of the home games with relatives in a suite at Conseco. My grown son often takes a four hour drive home to catch games on Friday and Saturday nights. And a grown daughter also joins in on occassion, as does my wife. We are all die-hard Pacer fans.

Winning a championship would be something that we would all be able to share together. We already have our memories of being together and watching the games over the past 4 years. But a championship would provide unparallelled memories.... kind of like that favorite vacation that everyone experiences when they were kids.

So, it's about high time history repeated itself.

ROCislandWarrior
01-23-2004, 12:44 AM
For me that would have a very special meaning. I have the privilege of watching many of the home games with relatives in a suite at Conseco. My grown son often takes a four hour drive home to catch games on Friday and Saturday nights. And a grown daughter also joins in on occassion, as does my wife. We are all die-hard Pacer fans.

that is one thing I was always missing...I could not share my love for the Pacers with people that would understand it...

but now that I found this board... It feels good

Gosh...I think I am going to cry:cry: ... :D