PDA

View Full Version : Marbury: "Next year, I'm going to play like 'Starbury.'"

Shade
04-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Found this on the RealGM message boards. No link was provided.

http://realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=502755

Marbury Heats Up!
Point guard says he'll be back in NY next year and will play his way

BY GREG LOGAN
Newsday Staff Correspondent

April 14, 2006

CLEVELAND -- If it was Stephon Marbury's intention to call Larry Brown's bluff yesterday, he did a good job of it. The Knicks' point guard said he's not going to play Brown's way next season, and he has no plans to hit the highway out of New York.

It would seem something has to give in this supreme test of wills, but Marbury made it clear he's not backing down. In fact, he indicated his comments at yesterday morning's shootaround were just an appetizer for what is to come when the Knicks clean out their lockers on Thursday after their final game.

Marbury told the public relations staff to have a podium in place that day .because he's going to unload.

"Don't worry," Marbury said, "I'll answer all your questions."

Sounding as if he's ready to blame the Knicks' failed season squarely on Brown, Marbury added, "If things would have been in place the way they were supposed to, I don't think we would have been in this situation. But that just didn't happen. So, stay tuned. You'll hear it."

Asked if he has any regrets about this season, Marbury called it "the best year of my life." Through his trials and tribulations with Brown, Marbury said he made a leap forward to a point where he's comfortable with himself as a player and is willing to offer his version of the truth no matter how the chips may fall. He said he began this season "100 percent committed to do whatever wanted me to do. It didn't work, so, I'm going to play like I normally play.

"There have been people who played for a coach who didn't see things the same way, and it worked out. I don't see why it can't work out. But like I said: I played like Stephon Marbury this year. Next year, I'm going to play like 'Starbury.'"

Told that Brown said he'd like Marbury to play as well as he did before he suffered a shoulder injury on Jan. 16 that put him out for an extended period, Marbury replied emphatically, "Oh, he doesn't have to worry. I'm going to do everything that I did before he came here."

When it was suggested Brown might not want to hear that, Marbury said, "I don't care what he wants to hear. I'm telling you what I'm going to do."

Marbury sat out his seventh straight game with a strained left patella tendon last night as the Knicks lost, 91-87, to the Cavaliers at Quicken Loans Arena.

With 3:06 left in the third quarter, Brown took ill and went to the locker room for the rest of the game. Knicks officials said it was nothing serious. The Cavaliers (48-31) overcame a 13-point deficit with the help of an 11-0 run late in the fourth quarter. Larry Hughes led the Cavs with 26 points, and Nate Robinson had 32 points and Jamaal Crawford had 19 points and nine assists for the Knicks (22-56).

Brown did predict that the Knicks will win games next season if Marbury plays as well as he did during their six-game winning streak in January.

The coach indicated Marbury might not be the point guard next season and said his preparation over the summer should have more to do with attitude than basketball. "I think he's got to make up his mind to continue to improve," Brown said. "That's what all good players do. We've got to make our teammates better . . . I'm confident he'll understand that. But it can't be on one guy. We have a lot of guys that have got to step up. But believe me, this isn't going to be the same team."

Earlier this week, Brown said he has the support of owner James Dolan and team president Isiah Thomas to make whatever changes are necessary this summer. Some assume that includes an effort to trade Marbury, although he has three years worth $60 million left on his contract.

But Marbury, who has a close bond with Thomas, said he's not worried about being traded. "I'm going to be back in New York," Marbury said. "I'm not going anywhere, I don't think. Not as far as I know. I don't see why I would be anyplace else other than New York."

Marbury spoke with such conviction that it sounded as if he might know something Brown doesn't. Like the man said, stay tuned.

I can't wait to "hear it." :plot:

Hicks
04-14-2006, 10:48 AM
prima donna. Guys like this make the NBA look pathetic and unwatchable; and I'm not talking about his game, though that would strengthen the argument.

brichard
04-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Well according to many on the board, it is a players league. That being said, the coach should change their philosophy and do exactly what the players should want. Not to do so would show a lack of flexibility. Based on that logic, I look for Larry Brown to be let go this summer because of the toxic enviornment he has creted between coach and players.

:hmm:

Hicks
04-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Well according to many on the board, it is a players league. That being said, the coach should change their philosophy and do exactly what the players should want. Not to do so would show a lack of flexibility. Based on that logic, I look for Larry Brown to be let go this summer because of the toxic enviornment he has creted between coach and players.

:hmm:

:D

DisplacedKnick
04-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Marbury's a complete idiot.

But so are Jimmy Dolan and Isiah Thomas so I think there's at least a decent chance that Marbury stays and LB goes.

clownskull
04-14-2006, 11:12 AM
unfortunately the league has many of these selfish jerks like starbury. but at least with him on that team and pulling in that kind of dough, he is virtualy untradeable and i doubt that his comments endeared him to other gm's around the league who may have had a brain fart and were even considering him.
guys like him are cancers. i wonder how much brown is liking his job in ny now? i wonder if he wishes he had gone somewhere else? with this kind of nonsense it must take a toll.

Hicks
04-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Now, if you really want to take a gamble and play with fire, if NY cans him, we could try using him to kick this current group of Pacers' asses back into a winning team.

Anthem
04-14-2006, 11:22 AM

But so are Jimmy Dolan and Isiah Thomas so I think there's at least a decent chance that Marbury stays and LB goes.
Ditch him!

We'll trade you Tinsley for Q-Rich...

beast23
04-14-2006, 11:29 AM

$60M for 3 years of Marbury? Hell yes he's going to stay. Even if Brown stays.

No other GM is stupid enough to pay those kinds of dollars for a player that has spent a vast majority of his time nurturing disharmony with his coach.

And I think that Marbury would do that no matter where he plays or who he plays for. He believes that he knows how the game should be played better than anyone else ever could, and as a result, will probably always defy authority.

Roy Munson
04-14-2006, 11:35 AM

Marbury is one SERIOUSLY stupid human being. And he's a loser.

rabid
04-14-2006, 11:42 AM
The problem is, even if Marbury's right (which he's not), you simply can't allow this. It sets a horrible example for the rest of the team (well, if HE doesn't have to listen to the coach, I don't either...).

The right thing to do is to either trade him or bench him. If the coach really IS the probelm, then hire a new coach, but don't let a prima donna player take control like this. We're not talking about a (younger) Shaq or a Larry Bird or a Michael Jordan, who could back up this kind of talk. This guy needs to get his head out of his *ss.

CableKC
04-14-2006, 12:18 PM
When I saw the title of the thread...I thought that this was about Marbury's comments that he made a little more then a month ago when the Marbury/Brown fued began.

But then I saw the date of the article and realized that he was making these comments yesterday. This tells you how stupid this guy is.........he has players that can likely replace him ( Francis, Crawford, Robinson ) for one reason or another and is stuck with a coach that likely isn't going anywhere....and yet he still preaches his "I will be Starbury next season in NY" mantra.

If Zeke was smart...he would actually listen to Brown and deal him to Minnesota for anything that he can get.

Oddly enough....Marbury's rants reminds me of Iverson rant about practice. Both are more against doing what they want to do and specificallly railing against Brown.

Roy Munson
04-14-2006, 12:27 PM
If Zeke was smart....

This is a sad, funny thought.

Chauncey
04-14-2006, 12:32 PM
prima donna. Guys like this make the NBA look pathetic and unwatchable; and I'm not talking about his game, though that would strengthen the argument.

I'm not sure if you are talking about Starbury or Larry Brown.

Both fit the bill.

Chauncey
04-14-2006, 12:33 PM
But then I saw the date of the article and realized that he was making these comments yesterday. This tells you how stupid this guy is.........he has players that can likely replace him ( Francis, Crawford, Robinson ) for one reason or another and is stuck with a coach that likely isn't going anywhere....and yet he still preaches his "I will be Starbury next season in NY" mantra.

If Zeke was smart...he would actually listen to Brown and deal him to Minnesota for anything that he can get.

Oddly enough....Marbury's rants reminds me of Iverson rant about practice. Both are more against doing what they want to do and specificallly railing against Brown.

Explain to me why Marbury would mind being traded to Minnesota? Other than being from NYC, the T-Pups are a much better team than the Knicks and he'd be with KG who WANTS to play with Marbury again.

Anthem
04-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Explain to me why Marbury would mind being traded to Minnesota? Other than being from NYC, the T-Pups are a much better team than the Knicks and he'd be with KG who WANTS to play with Marbury again.
You've got to explain this one to me.

How can the TWolves trade for Marbury without including KG? Nobody else on the roster makes more than 5mil/year.

DisplacedKnick
04-14-2006, 12:38 PM
You've got to explain this one to me.

How can the TWolves trade for Marbury without including KG? Nobody else on the roster makes more than 5mil/year.

The proposed deal I've been hearing is Jaric, Ricky Davis and Hassell for him. I've never bothered to check and see if those salaries match up.

Slick Pinkham
04-14-2006, 12:41 PM
$60M for 3 years of Marbury? Hell yes he's going to stay. Even if Brown stays.

No other GM is stupid enough to pay those kinds of dollars for a player that has spent a vast majority of his time nurturing disharmony with his coach.

I agree. If I'm the Knicks, and this is as bad as it sounds, and Larry is healthy enough to continue coaching, I would talk to Marbury and tell him that with his attitude he simply isn't going to play. He's going to sit, and if his contract makes him untradeable, he can enjoy sitting or agree to a contract buyout.

The players association would probably be all up in arms about that, but his comments certainly serious enough to make an owner consider such drastic measures.

Chauncey
04-14-2006, 12:49 PM
Actually..the more I think about it....Marbury is in a no-lose situation. Either the man he hates playing for quits, the Knicks fire him, or he's traded to play somewhere else (and the only team that would seemingly trade for him is Minnesota, who's franchise player has said he'd want to play with him again)

Hell at this point, if I were Marbury...what do you have to lose? In his mind anything is better than playing for the travelling hypocrite.

Knucklehead Warrior
04-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Yeah, I remember the Big O, Kareem, & Hondo all doing the same thing. :D
We don't need coaches, just let the players run things. Nobody wants to buy a coach's jersey right? :-p

Chauncey
04-14-2006, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I remember the Big O, Kareem, & Hondo all doing the same thing. :D
We don't need coaches, just let the players run things. Nobody wants to buy a coach's jersey right? :-p

On the other hand, Magic ran off a pretty good coach...and this was AFTER they had won a championship together.

Of course..comparing Marbuy to Magic is like comparing Gilbert Arenas to Michael Jordan.

Hicks
04-14-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm not sure if you are talking about Starbury or Larry Brown.

Both fit the bill.

I don't like the bad things that Larry Brown does, but I really despise this crap from players like Marbury.

Peck
04-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Stephon Marbury, Allen Iverson & Steve Francise.

All three the same player. All are talented but all are absolute cancers not only for their teams but for U.S. basketball in general.

I'm going to turn into a Lithfan here for a min.:D , but all of these guys have been in the league for about 10 years now & they have heralded a downturn in basic fundamental team basketball. Where these little guads dominate the ball & do all of the scoring for their teams. All the while driving off good players around them who could have helped them win yet they do nothing but lament & complain at the end of the losing seasons why management won't give them any help.

It's laughable.

I wish that N.Y. could work out a deal where Marbury ends up in either Portland, Toronto or Atlanta.

Exile this idiot to basketball hell & be done with him. The sad thing is, he wouldn't care, in fact he would be happier because he would be able to jack up his stats again.

He's all about winning.:rolleyes:

Anthem
04-14-2006, 01:33 PM
The proposed deal I've been hearing is Jaric, Ricky Davis and Hassell for him. I've never bothered to check and see if those salaries match up.
Yeah, that would work, actually. Of course, NY would be picking up basically 3 SGs for one PG.

I'm pondering. If Minny would do it, it might actually be a decent trade for NY. It gets rid of a cancer, and Davis is actually scoring almost 4ppg more than Starbury.

I wouldn't like it if I was a Minny fan, though. Unless that's what it took to keep KG happy.

McClintic Sphere
04-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Seems like every worse case scenario projection for the Knicks predicted before the Season came true. FREX, Brown, perhaps getting too old, cannot weather the storm. Starbury being a complete egomaniacal jerk. Not enough balls on the court. No one committing to Brown's team first style.

I remember him stating last Summer,"It could be ugly early.'' Well, it stayed ugly.

Doug in CO
04-14-2006, 01:40 PM
The Knicks need to CUT Marbury if that is what it comes down to.

If someone is dumb enough to trade for him, then Stern (God) bless the Knicks

I do not see anyone doing that

Chauncey
04-14-2006, 02:06 PM
The Knicks need to CUT Marbury if that is what it comes down to.

If someone is dumb enough to trade for him, then Stern (God) bless the Knicks

I do not see anyone doing that

That might be the best solution..but you do run the risk of him signing a minimum contract somewhere else and all of his money staying on your books. Trade him to Minnesota and I think you're getting pieces whose contracts will end sooner

CableKC
04-14-2006, 02:12 PM

I didn't say that Marbury wouldn't mind being traded to Minny. It was Marbury that said that he wanted to stay in NY ( if he had the choice )

But Marbury, who has a close bond with Thomas, said he's not worried about being traded. "I'm going to be back in New York," Marbury said. "I'm not going anywhere, I don't think. Not as far as I know. I don't see why I would be anyplace else other than New York."

Jermaniac
04-14-2006, 02:19 PM
So he is going to suck again next year?

Moses
04-14-2006, 03:40 PM
To be honest, I really think the Knicks should cut Marbury. If they don't get an offer they like, just cut him. It would definitely send a message to the players and fans that the Knicks actually want to be a respected organization.

I understand Marbury's frustration but he needs to be a professional. He's getting paid 15M a year or so? He's in a situation where he thinks that if he plays how he wants to play that the Knicks would actually be good. Last time I checked Marbury, Brown had the rings..not you. I don't think Larry Brown will be around with that organization for much longer anyways.

Stryder
04-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Don't you lose your nickname if you haven't played up to 'it' for the last few years?

Anthem
04-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Don't you lose your nickname if you haven't played up to 'it' for the last few years?
Well, they still call Kenny "The Jet."

Of course, Charles is also still called "The Round Mound of Rebound." At least the first three words are still accurate.

SycamoreKen
04-15-2006, 12:27 AM

Well he didn't want to stay before and play 2nd banana to KG when he was younger. Does it sound like he has actually matured any? Why KG would want him back is beyond me. They could have grown together and probably won at least one titile if Marbury wasn't a self-centered idiot. I lost all respect for him when he bailed on KG the first time to be "the man" in New Jersey.

Stryder
04-17-2006, 07:56 AM

Of course, Charles is also still called "The Round Mound of Rebound." At least the first three words are still accurate.

Ha. I was being facetious. But, at least the other players earned their nicknames. If anything, Stephon's nickname should be "Crapbury" or "Cancerbury".

Since86
04-17-2006, 12:52 PM

Around the house, we've changed it to "The Round Mound of Sound." It fits very nicely, IMHO.