PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh, college basketball fans: NBDL lowers age limit to 18

Chauncey
04-13-2006, 02:34 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2407522

Chauncey
04-13-2006, 02:37 PM
On the other hand..for NBA fans..it would be interesting to see how some of these straight out of HS kids do in their year in the D-league..after which they'd be draft eligible.

Eindar
04-13-2006, 02:45 PM
It only makes sense. The people saying the age limit was racist were saying that these 18 year old men who come from terrible neighborhoods need that NBA rookie money to get them and their parents out of the hood. Well, as I understand it, D-leaguers make about 20-50k per year. As long as hood mom keeps working at KFC, he can still move his family out of the hood into a little starter home. And, if you're good enough, you only have to be in the NBDL for a year, and then you can get a very nice rookie contract.

For those of us who don't buy the racist BS, there's this: Some of these guys are simply too dumb for college. For a young man who's barely making eligibility for HS, and knows he won't have the time/ability to make it in college, there's the D-League. Put your year in playing against other pro ball players, then see where your draft stock is.

The question now becomes: Which will scouts prefer? 1 year against college competition, or 1 year against D-League competition?

Young
04-13-2006, 03:25 PM
I think this was already known from the time that the NBA came up with the age limit rule. It was said that the NBDL's age limit would be moved down to 18 and maybe it wasn't said for sure but highly speculated.

Good rule to have. Not everyone is college material in the classroom no matter how good they are on the court.

ChicagoJ
04-13-2006, 04:00 PM
I long for the days when college sports were all about the student-athletes, not a big-money farm system for the pros.

Eindar
04-13-2006, 04:29 PM
I long for the days when college sports were all about the student-athletes, not a big-money farm system for the pros.

You can still see that, you just have to stick to the Ivy League and Div. IIA teams. Of course, those teams are boring, much like watching a college game from the '60s is boring. If I remember, people have been playing college ball for the express purpose of going pro since the 70s. Of course, guys used to stick around longer, if that's what you mean, but I think that has more to do with the game then stressing fundamentals, and the game now stressing athleticism, than it does money-grubbing.

However, now that I think about it, the fact that players today make far more than they have in the past could be a factor in terms of people leaving college early. Also, in decades past, it was smart to get that degree in case you tore an ACL and had to retire on the, what, 70k per year you were making? Now, not only are there fewer injuries that are career-threatening, but also the fact that if your career is cut very short, you can still live off of that rookie contract while you finish college.

It's very tangled, but you can still watch guys who are only playing for the love of the game, you just have to watch a lot of Brown vs. Princeton games.

Kstat
04-13-2006, 06:31 PM
If you're willing to bypass national TV exposure on a college team to make a modest NBDL salary, then you obviously have major money issues.

I can't see more than one or two HS kids a year going to the NBDL, and it won't be any blue-chippers.

travmil
04-13-2006, 06:46 PM
What people don't understand is that a year at Duke, or UConn, or any other top Division I program probably pays at least what the D League does :D

brichard
04-13-2006, 10:18 PM
If you're willing to bypass national TV exposure on a college team to make a modest NBDL salary, then you obviously have major money issues.

I can't see more than one or two HS kids a year going to the NBDL, and it won't be any blue-chippers.

I think what you will see are the guys who have difficulty with academics. Shawn Kemp would have been perfect for the NBDL.