PDA

View Full Version : How Well do you Like....Day 5

8.9_seconds
04-12-2006, 09:30 PM
This is the "How well do you Like..."thread. There's been alot of , in the truest since of the word, 'playa hatin' goin on, and I think it can be attributed to how we're playing. So, I want to know if you like the particular player the thread is dedicated to based not on how they play, but just how you feel and think about them. This way, maybe we can find an official general consensus.

Today's Player: :tinsley:

No cute little line, voting will come quick I feel. It's liking throwing meat to Old Yeller, when he was rabid anyway....What a sad movie.

J_2_Da_IzzO
04-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Less shots, more passing version = I love him
More shots, less passing version = I dont like him much

Jermaniac
04-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Jamaal is one of the 2 Gods we have on this team. I love Jamaal.

Jamaal for Coach and Jermaine for GM of the Pacers.

317Kim
04-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Less shots, more passing version = I love him
More shots, less passing version = I dont like him much

Same here.

Also, the injuries get annoying.

Doug in CO
04-12-2006, 09:38 PM
I voted yes - but with a caveat - I like him when he plays

He is hurt way too much

BlueNGold
04-12-2006, 09:40 PM
More likes than dislikes for now. Bet that changes.

GO!!!!!
04-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Injury free Triple Double Threat Tinsley YES YES YES

Injury Prone, Crying Shootaholic Wanna be Superstar NO NO NO

In NBA Live 06 he averages in my franchise 8 Assists, 3 Steals, 7 points and some seruis hustle, and thats what Tins should be to this team, and thats sharing the point with Sara's And Andre Milla

Lord Helmet
04-12-2006, 09:52 PM
I love Jamaal when he has limited shots and is racking up assists, and I hate Jamaal when he goes into "scoring" mode and the kind of pouting mode. I also, do not enjoy him missing 40+ games a year.

It's a love/hate thing.....

Fireball Kid
04-12-2006, 10:19 PM
I dont like him as a player.

He cant stay healthy. He cant play consistent. He should be a top 5 point guard in this league today, but ******, hes not even top 15. To me, he has slowly regressed since his rookie year, which I think was his best year.

Roaming Gnome
04-12-2006, 10:30 PM
I just voted no, because his tendancy to be injured trumphs any of his ability on the court. In other words, If I can't depend on you...why keep you?

pizza guy
04-12-2006, 10:30 PM
I dont like him as a player.

He cant stay healthy. He cant play consistent. He should be a top 5 point guard in this league today, but ******, hes not even top 15. To me, he has slowly regressed since his rookie year, which I think was his best year.

Yup

Alpolloloco
04-12-2006, 10:51 PM
Jamaal is one of the 2 Gods we have on this team. I love Jamaal.

Jamaal for Coach and Jermaine for GM of the Pacers.

:blahblah: :growup:

Jermaniac
04-13-2006, 12:45 AM
You dont deserve to quote my posts. Hicks please edit that.

beast23
04-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Jamaal? Who's Jamaal?

indytoad
04-13-2006, 11:45 AM
You dont deserve to quote my posts. Hicks please edit that.

:hmm:

IndyToad
Third line

ChicagoJ
04-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Jamaal is the second best player on this team.

The question is not "How good is Jamaal?" but rather, "How bad are the Pacers without Jamaal?"

Unfortunately, we can't keep him on the court often enough.

And Jamaal seems to have a better feel for the NBA game than his coach, so it is maddening to watch the coach pull in on the reigns. Jamaal seems to really struggle between "doing the right thing" on the court and doing "what his coach wants him to do."

We end up in the worst of all situations. Jamaal doesn't trust/ understand his coach and tries to make plays to show that he should be trusted. Rick doesn't trust/ understand his PG (and more importantly, doesn't want to leave the outcome of the game to the players) and tries to slow it down, call all the plays, and take the ball out of his hands.

Its clearly a dysfunctional mess.

Either Rick needs to go, or Jamaal needs to go. I know who'd I'd pick. But its obvious TPTB are going to pick the other choice.

If they are fully committed to upgrading the PG position, that's okay. But whomever we get is going to cost us a lot. Quality PGs are expensive, and Tinsley's trade value is quite low right now.

04-13-2006, 03:05 PM
When he is not injured = LOVE
When he is injured (which he is most of the time) = NO LOVE

beast23
04-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Jamaal is the second best player on this team...

We end up in the worst of all situations. Jamaal doesn't trust/ understand his coach and tries to make plays to show that he should be trusted. Rick doesn't trust/ understand his PG (and more importantly, doesn't want to leave the outcome of the game to the players) and tries to slow it down, call all the plays, and take the ball out of his hands.
You almost lost me after your first statement, but I always read every word of your posts.

I believe your first statement is very, very wrong. There should be a distinction between "second best player" and "second most talented".

But talent doesn't matter if the player is not willing to play within the system that has been defined to him.

You and I are definitely on the same page as far as the word TRUST goes. Jamaal doesn't trust Rick and Rick most assuredly doesn't trust Jamaal.

But where does that trust start; who makes the first step?

I guaran-damn-tee you that every job that you have ever had, or ever will have, that it is essential that you prove yourself trustworthy before your boss exhibits trust in you. And that must happen before you, yourself, ever gain a level of trust in your boss. Why? Because you report to him and he holds the upper hand.

It's the same in any team-oriented sport. You must first demonstrate that you are trustworthy before your coach and teammates can place trust in you.

Therefore, I've always concluded that the problem is NOT with the coach, the problem is with player who absolutely will not accept authority. He simply doesn't comprehend that he must first prove himself trustworthy.

And quite frankly, I believe that he has a personality flaw that would prevent him from ever proving himself trustworthy. Just as you were certain that Artest's background and upbringing ruined him to the point that he would never truly accept authority and march to the beat of the consensus, I have come to believe the same is true of Tinsley.

ChicagoJ
04-13-2006, 03:40 PM
You almost lost me after your first statement, but I always read every word of your posts.

Ah, what's wrong with a little hyperbole among friends?

-snip-And quite frankly, I believe that he has a personality flaw that would prevent him from ever proving himself trustworthy. Just as you were certain that Artest's background and upbringing ruined him to the point that he would never truly accept authority and march to the beat of the consensus, I have come to believe the same is true of Tinsley.

Truthfully, I'm not that far from agreeing with you.

Problem is, for me to get over this hump, I've got to see Jamaal have the same problems with another coach.

In other words, there is plenty of blame to go around, so I just can't make Jamaal the sole scapegoat on this one.

Too some exent, I'm enamored with tough, gritty NYC PGs. Maybe I'm extrapolating a bit too much V. Fleming and M. Jackson onto Tinsley. Maybe I believe that if this kid was able to get himself off the garbage truck and into college (and into Iowa State) that he should be able to overcome any obstacles, especially any internal "demons" that are holding him back.

I just need a little more evidence to get 'there' on my own. And yes, I believe that in that situation, we'd see a renewed Tinsley and not "more of the same".

beast23
04-13-2006, 04:09 PM
Jay -

There was something in this morning's Star that got me to wondering. JO stated that he had met with Larry and Donnie to clear the air. I thought it was also mentioned that each player would be meeting with Larry and Donnie in the next week or so.

This is something that is usually reserved for a week or two following the end of the season. Not during the last week or two OF the season.

And.... there was no mention of Rick in these meetings.

Coupled with JO's claim of being here "for a long, long time", I found this more than a bit curious. Maybe some folks on here are right, maybe Rick is on the outs.

But for my taste, I'd take a Haywoode Workman any day of the week. A great defender and someone that works his butt off. I think that if Workman were the best PG in the league, he would still be doing everything he could to prove himself. And that's what I want from my PG, someone who is trying to constantly please both his teammates and his coach.

But two qualities that I want in a PG that Jamaal doesn't seem to have are great defensive skills and leadership ability. I want at defender at PG because I believe it is essential to be able to apply pressure on the opposing PG when you need to... Jamaal cannot do that. And, I believe the PG must establish leadership through example... he must set the example by demonstrating how everyone else on the floor should play.

DeS
04-13-2006, 05:09 PM
You and I are definitely on the same page as far as the word TRUST goes. Jamaal doesn't trust Rick and Rick most assuredly doesn't trust Jamaal.

But where does that trust start; who makes the first step?

I guess Rick made that step after Tinsley return from the injury. First - he made Tinsley a starter and moved Saras out of the rotation. In the night when Tinsley was shooting ~ 3 - 16 from the field he showed all the trust You can expect from the coach (note the Rick's answer after the game in the radio show - he answered that he didn't want to disrupt game flow or smth.). I don't know if I would trust Tinsley.

vapacersfan
04-16-2006, 12:00 AM
I apologize for posting this so late, but I was not around at the time of this thread, so let me just add my .02 to this thread.

First of all, I do agree with the member who said Mel-Mel is the second best talent, but not the second best player on the team.

Let me start with the things I really enjoy about Mel-Mel:

I love the Mel-Mel that takes that little runner in the lane, and forced the defense to respect that he may take the ball to the hole. I think that not only does that stretch the floor out, but if also forced the other teams guard to play defense, which in turn wears him out.

I have seen less of it this year, but I think when he has the opportunity, he needs to back his man down and work his post game. Mel-Mel is not going to wow you with his post game, but I do think he can be effective in the post, assuming he is willing to take a little beating and be patient with his game.

His passing. As long he is not going street, I think Mel-Mel is the best passer on this team. He is able to hit you in stride, and you can make it look pretty.

Now for some of the things that I wish would change:

First, his durability. I don’t think I need to say much on this topic, but we all know we need a player that can actually, oh I don’t know: PLAY.

His attitude. I think this is a topic that a lot of people get blasted for bringing up, but I think if he has been a team player has been questioned by some here. A lot of people seem to deny that, but I have seen some cases myself where Tinsley lets his emotions get the best of him. At least I assume that’s what it is, and its not him being a guy who acts like a little kid with a childish attitude.

His shot selection. I don’t think I have ever gotten more frustrated watching a single player miss open 3’s then I have with Mel-Mel. If you take 2 or 3 jumpers and you don’t hit, then let it go. Mel-Mel just kills me with those days where he cant hit the broad side of a barn, but is still jacking up 3 pointers left and right. More times then not the Pacers end up losing those games.

Similary, I hate when he goes one-on-one and engages in “one-upmanship”. We all know you can ball, Jamaal, we don’t need you to “shot up” the other player on the court. When Mel-Mel starts doing that, generally he breaks the flow of the offense, and again more times then not the Pacers end up losing.

All in all I think he is a very good talent, and a good player. Of course, all of that implies he is playing….
I have grown tired of the “one-upmanship” and some of the attitude, and if I was the GM he would be gone after this year. But even if I am totally off base with his attitude and he cuts out the who “one upping”, he still has to stay healthy in order to use the ability that he has.