PDA

View Full Version : A bright spot in a dismal season: Announcing

CompACE
04-12-2006, 01:18 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/kelly_dwyer/04/11/announcers.grades2/index.html

Words to watch by (cont.)
Posted: Wednesday April 12, 2006 11:34AM; Updated: Wednesday April 12, 2006 12:18PM

NBA Announcers' Report Card

Grade: A Team: Indiana Pacers

Al Albert, Clark Kellogg, Quinn Buckner

This is a pretty spectacular crew for a local broadcast, and it always cracks me up to hear Al Albert read off the postgame programming promos in his inimitable Albert-family drawl ("and ... after Gilmore Girls ... it's ... One Tree Hill"). Though Kellogg appears to spend the whole of March in CBS' college basketball studio, he knows the NBA game and remains the rare NBA/NCAA crossover artist (Bill Raftery being the other). Buckner is a brilliant analyst who also gets points for not going out of his way to big-time or second-guess the coaches in his presence. There are enough bitter color analysts out there, ones who remain convinced they can do a better job than half the NBA's coaching fraternity, so Buckner's tact is well received.

To see the rest of the grades goto the link

PS: Check out Bill Walton's Grade...WTF...suddenly these grades have lost some of its validity.

McClintic Sphere
04-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Al Alberts is about as tired as they come. "He's on fire!" as your signature line? I thought that went out when Charlie's Angels went off the air. C-

Clark is spectacular. My favorite commenter in all the game. A++

Quinn is mediocre, but has a lot of personal anecdotes from which to draw. B-

Anthem
04-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Al Alberts is about as tired as they come. "He's on fire!" as your signature line? I thought that went out when Charlie's Angels went off the air. C-
"He's on fire!"

"He's heating up!"

"Is it the shoes?"

NBA Jam, man. Those were the days.

RWB
04-12-2006, 01:34 PM

Clark is spectacular. My favorite commenter in all the game. A++

Quinn is mediocre, but has a lot of personal anecdotes from which to draw. B-

I'm not a big Al fan as well, but really like Quinn's perspective since he is a former player and coach.

Unclebuck
04-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Al Albert talks too much and yes his catch phrases get a little old at times, but he knows what he's doing and sometimes he can be very funny. For a local guy in a small market he is excellent.

The combo of Quinn and Clark are as good as any local guys, they should be they are both national guys also.

Unless you have NBA League pass you might not realize how good our announcers are.

ChicagoJ
04-12-2006, 02:11 PM
Wow. I can agree with the grade for Walton, but not for Tom Heinsohn.

idiot >> Bird >>>>> Heinsohn.

:proud:

efx
04-12-2006, 02:11 PM
I'm suprised they didn't mention Kevin Harlan (or did they?) because he's my favorite one by far and I'm already pretty spoiled here with good announcing teams for both the knicks and the nets.

Hicks
04-12-2006, 02:12 PM
I have no real problem with any of them. I especially like Quinn Buckner, but Al and Clark do a good job as well. I remember someone telling me how bad they are once and I just thought, "You obviously don't have league pass". We have a good local crew.

Jermaniac
04-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Quinn Buckner is the man, love listening to Quinn

Fool
04-12-2006, 02:29 PM
I think a "B" is a little low for the 3 guys reviewed for the Pistons but with the 4th he left out (McClead) its a fair grade (maybe a little high).

CompACE
04-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Wow. I can agree with the grade for Walton, but not for Tom Heinsohn.

idiot >> Bird >>>>> Heinsohn.

:proud:

Are you saying you agree with the columnist? I totally disagree with him about Walton - A+...are you kidding me?!?! The highest grade i would give him is a "D" and that's a long shot. Maybe it's just personal preference but i always get this feeling that he has no idea what he's talking about.

Here's a list of some of the most stupid/brilliant (Depending on how you feel about Bill Walton) things he's said in past years.

source - gorillamask.net
http://gorillamask.net/billwalton.shtml

Altogether now, in your best Bill Walton voice:

“Tracy McGrady is doing things we’ve never seen from anybody – from any planet!”

"Steve Nash is the most unathletic player in the league."

Whenever the refs aren't up to Bill's standards: “Why even have a rulebook?”

On Kobe's offseason weight training: "The added muscle and bulk from pushing that steel and the natural maturation process now enables this grandmaster to regularly accomplish the unimaginable without dragging around excessive bulk and baggage. Most top players get to the point where they truly believe that anything is possible. Most are also governed by gravity, the laws of physics and self-regulating mental control mechanisms. Kobe has left all these behind. The extra strength and stamina have made him a superior 3-point shooter, a most dominant defender and arguably the game's top rebounder."

On Rasheed Wallace: "He's like a four-armed Dikembe Mutombo around the basket!"

"Throw it down, big man! Throw it DOWN!"

"Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards."

Exchange between he and Snapper Jones: “That’s a terrible defensive effort by Robert Horry. He didn’t even make it difficult for Rasheed Wallace to score.” Snapper: “Well, what do you expect? Earlier you said that Wallace could be one of the best players in the game, and now you want Robert Horry to guard him one-on-one?” Bill: “No, I said that Rasheed could be the best player in the game.”

Exchange between he and Tom Hammond: “John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!” Tom: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.” Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA.”

“Patrick Ewing used to be much better in every aspect of the game.” (After Ewing clanged a free throw, before he had even left the Knicks.)

During a game that didn't even involve the Rockets: “Yao Ming is the best thing to happen to the NBA in a long time. He is just a beautiful person inside and out. The vision, the creativity, the gentleness of spirit … he has it all.”

"Kenyon Martin is the 2nd best player in the Eastern Conference."

When Illinois center Robert Archibald, originally from Scotland, dunked a ball on his son Luke Walton in college: "Did you see that? It must be the Scottish pudding!!"

"Where else but the NBA could people like Bill Russell, Spencer Haywood, Ricky Barry, Dennis Rodman and Allen Iverson come in and be allowed to be who they are?"

"Greg Ostertag is one of the top centers on this planet!"

"But you have to understand, my beard is so nasty. I mean, it's the only beard in the history of Western civilization that makes Bob Dylan's beard look good."

“Eric Piatkowski makes perhaps the greatest defensive play in Clipper history!”

During one of his hilarious game-intros: “Tonight the Spurs look to extend their lead to 3-0 over the Lakers. This time, however, they will have to do it on the Lakers’ home court. Duncan and Shaq have been magnificent for both teams, but so far the edge has gone to San Antonio. However, the real story line that awaits us tonight in Los Angeles is whether or not Kobe Bryant will actually throw a pass!”

"A lot of people understand what not saying anything means, so, in effect, not saying anything is really saying a lot."

Tony Parker makes a pass, which gets deflected out of bounds by an opposing defender. Spurs ball, no big deal... Walton roars: "Tony Parker just made the worst pass... in the history of Western Civilization!"

“Oh my, Kobe is really putting on a show out there. He’s making Ray Allen look like a sixth grader!”

On the '72 Lakers: "Way back when, I was a sophomore in college at UCLA when a truly remarkable aggregation of professional talent actually exceeded the hype and hope of a world searching desperately for authenticity."

"I mean, I'm 6-foot-11, I've got red hair, freckles, I'm a goofy, nerdy-looking guy, I've got a speech impediment-I stutter and stammer all the time-and I'm a Deadhead. I was a skinny, scrawny guy. I stuttered horrendously, couldn't speak at all. I was a very shy, reserved player and a very shy, reserved person. I found a safe place in life in basketball."

"I'm mainstream. Always have been."

On his tour across America for ESPN: "Well, we've made some changes on this tour. We're no longer sleeping in the parking lots and swimming in the fountains. We've been staying in hotels most of the way, though I will say some hotels have declined to take us because we're just having too much fun."

While distributing free chicken samples during an appearance at McDonald's: "Thank you for visiting McDonald's and please drive safely ... Sir, don't forget your napkins!"

On The Grateful Dead: "They've been my life."

"What hath God wrought -- Todd MacCulloch has changed his name."

"Manu Ginobli is one of the greats. Not just of this generation, but of all time."

"Save some for later? Balderdash, this is the playoffs!"

On Larry Johnson's lackluster performance in the NBA Finals: "What a pathetic performance by this sad human being. This is a disgrace to the game of basketball and to the NBA. He played like a disgrace tonight. And he deserved it."

More Larry Johnson railing: "Why would the Pacers ever double-team Larry Johnson? He wants to be double-teamed so he can pass. Why is Indiana double-teaming a man who only scores 8 points a game?"

"Memo to Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker: Couldn't you wait until at least the All-Star break to have the franchise suffer its worse loss in its storied history? Bill Russell just called looking for an address to send his 11 championship rings back to the Celtics because he is so disappointed."

ChicagoJ
04-12-2006, 02:36 PM
I think people take Walton way too seriously. He's just having a good time, he says some absurd things but some of the absurd things he says are actually insightful.

He's far more interesting than the Hubie Brown/ Czar/ Doug Collins long list of disgrunteled coaches that all say the same thing with no thought or imganation.

I'd rather Bill say something outrageous and wrong, but say something different than just hear the same old re-hashed stuff from those other guys.

I've seen Bill at a speaking gig. This really is his autobiography:

"I mean, I'm 6-foot-11, I've got red hair, freckles, I'm a goofy, nerdy-looking guy, I've got a speech impediment-I stutter and stammer all the time-and I'm a Deadhead. I was a skinny, scrawny guy. I stuttered horrendously, couldn't speak at all. I was a very shy, reserved player and a very shy, reserved person. I found a safe place in life in basketball."

CompACE
04-12-2006, 02:39 PM
I think people take Walton way too seriously. He's just having a good time, he says some absurd things but some of the absurd things he says are actually insightful.

He's far more interesting than the Hubie Brown/ Czar/ Doug Collins long list of disgrunteled coaches that all say the same thing with no thought or imganation.

I'd rather Bill say something outrageous and wrong, but say something different than just hear the same old re-hashed stuff from those other guys.

I do agree with alot of what you said - He is more interesting to watch than most other analysts/commentators.

It's fun to watch him when he's arguing with the other commentators - that's always classic.

Shade
04-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Those grades are horrible.

Anyone who gives Bill Walton an A+ should be forced to wear an Artest jersey and stand in the corner.

RWB
04-12-2006, 02:42 PM
I think people take Walton way too seriously. He's just having a good time,

So are you saying Walton is like the NBA? All about entertainment rather than the game.

ChicagoJ
04-12-2006, 02:43 PM
I do agree with alot of what you said - He is more interesting to watch than most other analysts/commentators.

It's fun to watch him when he's arguing with the other commentators - that's always classic.

Now I certainly wish he'd stay focused on the game he's announcing.

Brent Musberger deserves more blame than Bill, however. Tom Hammonds could keep Bill "in line."

sweabs
04-12-2006, 02:44 PM
C+ is way too generous for the Bulls :laugh:. I really can't stand those guys.

What he said about the Raps is bang-on. I liked the evaluations for the most part.

Unclebuck
04-12-2006, 02:47 PM
I used to enjoy Bill Walton when he did the Clippers games with Ralph Lawler. Those were classics. Ralph knew exactly how to handle Bill.

Fool
04-12-2006, 02:56 PM
On Kobe's offseason weight training: "The added muscle and bulk from pushing that steel and the natural maturation process now enables this grandmaster to regularly accomplish the unimaginable without dragging around excessive bulk and baggage. Most top players get to the point where they truly believe that anything is possible. Most are also governed by gravity, the laws of physics and self-regulating mental control mechanisms. Kobe has left all these behind. The extra strength and stamina have made him a superior 3-point shooter, a most dominant defender and arguably the game's top rebounder."

That makes me want to watch a game right now.

(Also, look what the thread has turned into. He deserves his grade.)

Kstat
04-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Detroit Pistons
George Blaha, Bill Laimbeer, Greg Kelser
Blaha commands respect. He is judicious with his rants and raves, though it is sort of cute the way he refers to the Pistons by their first names instead of their last. Nothing too exciting about his play-calling, but he provides a fun atmosphere and doesn't miss a beat, game after game. Laimbeer antagonizes the hell out of his listeners. It isn't anything that he does personally (actually, he's rather innocuous on air, and pretty good as an analyst), but any non-Pistons fans of a certain age just isn't ready to accept Laimbeer as anything but a misanthrope in short pants and a plastic face mask. Kelser, the reserve color analyst, is energetic and knowledgeable.

That may be the most accurate description of BLaha/Laimbeer I ever read....

Also thank god this guy apparently never got to listen to Fred McCloud...

Mac_Daddy
04-12-2006, 03:13 PM
How can a person not enjoy such good lines as:

"Its the subterranien scoop!"
"The adventures of Indiana Jones!"

Hicks
04-12-2006, 03:24 PM
"Inspector gadget-like arms!"

"Hurricane Harrington!"

"The Fiesty One!"

His latest I could do without because it makes no sense... "The Yes Man!"

travmil
04-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Alberts is bad. If I have to hear about Crosher flicking the wrist, or about the adventures of Indiana Jones one more time I'll hurl.

Roaming Gnome
04-12-2006, 03:47 PM
I used to enjoy Bill Walton when he did the Clippers games with Ralph Lawler. Those were classics. Ralph knew exactly how to handle Bill.

Yeah, back in the mid 90's I use to stay up just to watch Ralph and Bill do Clipper games back in the day. Ralph Lawler was pretty good at making a losing team very entertaining to watch, Oh-me-oh-my!

I have to agree with Jay on not understanding why some get so upset about Bill Walton. The dude is totally tongue in cheek the whole time he is on the air. Then again, some think that the man has a rooting interest, lol! I really have not cared for any of his work since he has been on ABC, but when he was paired with Steve "Snapper" Jones for the NBC telecast, I thought those two had chemistry that was unrivaled.

rel
04-12-2006, 03:51 PM
I've always enjoyed watching pacer games just for the fact Quinn Buckner is one of the anaylyst.
Alberts is good too, but a bit off at times...like on the player names...

sweabs
04-12-2006, 03:54 PM
REL's avatar = :pray:

Eindar
04-12-2006, 03:58 PM
I enjoy Al Alberts as long as I pretend I'm playing NBA Live :)

As for Walton, it's a strange thing. I read the stuff he says and it's hilarious. When I hear him say it in person during the basketball game, I could strangle him. I guess I appreciate the humor, but not while I'm trying to watch the game. For some reason, Tom Tolbert doesn't really rub me the wrong way like Walton does.

Shade
04-12-2006, 04:20 PM
I'm still waiting for that "RCA black-and-white color TV" Al promised from his first season here. Rik Smith must have stolen it.

ChicagoJ
04-12-2006, 04:33 PM
I enjoy Al Alberts as long as I pretend I'm playing NBA Live :)

As for Walton, it's a strange thing. I read the stuff he says and it's hilarious. When I hear him say it in person during the basketball game, I could strangle him. I guess I appreciate the humor, but not while I'm trying to watch the game. For some reason, Tom Tolbert doesn't really rub me the wrong way like Walton does.

Interesting. Because I can't stand Tom Tolbert.

Kegboy
04-12-2006, 05:21 PM
The more I've learned about basketball, the better Quinn has gotten in my estimation. He's not flashy, but he's got a great eye for the floor.

I've grown accustomed to Al. His shenanigans just roll off my back now.

CompACE
04-12-2006, 05:52 PM
What ever happened to Scott Hoke? That guy was a great. I like him alot better than the lady they have doing halftime now - Not that she's bad, it just seemed like Scott went more in depth with the game coverage.

pizza guy
04-12-2006, 09:41 PM
I don't care much for Al because he's cheesey and he doesn't always know what's going on, but he constantly talks. Quinn and Clark are top notch though. Walton is so annoying, he's just a doofus (and a little anit-Pacer). Tom Tolbert may be the worst in the NBA circut. Dicky V is the worst overall.

SoupIsGood
04-12-2006, 10:22 PM

No kidding! :pray:

brichard
04-12-2006, 11:33 PM
1. Kellog- He's the best, most insightful, and not a homer. He researches his players.

2. Buckner- Sometimes he is almost too anti-home team in order to make sure he isn't showing favortism. He obviously knows the game and that shows in his commentating.

3. Alberts- I like his enthusiasm, but some of his homer posturizing gets old. I freaking hate the name "Feisty" Foster and I'll never forgive him for that. A girl is feisty, a guy is "The Hammer" or something like that. I'm waiting for a "spunky" to join our team. :puke:

abington
04-12-2006, 11:37 PM

THANK YOU!
Part of the reason that I have always thought that Clark was as good as anyone in the business is that he has all the insight of the tired old coaches without being tired or old. I like Walton. He is a fun listen. At times he can be annoying and grating, but he is fun, and it is entertainment. And unlike the contrived clowns like Chris Berman and Dick Vitale, Walton appears to be smart and genuine.

abington
04-12-2006, 11:40 PM
I also agree that if you have League Pass you realize how good the Pacers announcers are.

The nets with Marv and Mark Jackson are excellent.
As is Mike Breen, Gus Johnson and Clyde Frazier for the Knicks.
I also like the Lakers analyst Stu Lantz (sp?) a lot.
And Sean Elliot for the Spurs.
After that, it is a wasteland of mediocrity.

CompACE
04-12-2006, 11:40 PM
I don't care much for Al because he's cheesey and he doesn't always know what's going on, but he constantly talks. Quinn and Clark are top notch though. Walton is so annoying, he's just a doofus (and a little anit-Pacer). Tom Tolbert may be the worst in the NBA circut. Dicky V is the worst overall.

you know what would be really funny to watch. Uconn vs. The Spurs with Dicky V. and Bill Walton commentating - The most annoying sportscast ever + both would just argue about which league is more fun to watch.

Dicky V. - UConn is flat-out scary, baby!
Bill Walton - I'd have to gracefully disagree with you Dick. Ginobli is playing such explosive basketball that not even gale force winds can knock him down. He's spectalcular! His shot is stupedous! He's the best basketball player ever to put on an NBA uniform!

Bball
04-12-2006, 11:53 PM
I'm with Uncle Buck on this one. Al Albert knows what he is doing and is comfortable behind the mic and in front of the camera. I can understand not liking some of the quirky things he does to differentiate himself from the others in this field... BUT take a listen to other local announcers and you can begin to appreciate Al Albert. (Don't simply compare him to the network guys).

We could do a LOT worse than Al Albert.

What we really are is spoiled by Mark Boyle who IMHO is one of the best radio sports broadcasters around...anywhere...

-Bball

tora tora
04-13-2006, 12:06 AM
I'm with Uncle Buck on this one. Al Albert knows what he is doing and is comfortable behind the mic and in front of the camera. I can understand not liking some of the quirky things he does to differentiate himself from the others in this field... BUT take a listen to other local announcers and you can begin to appreciate Al Albert. (Don't simply compare him to the network guys).

We could do a LOT worse than Al Albert.

What we really are is spoiled by Mark Boyle who IMHO is one of the best radio sports broadcasters around...anywhere...

-Bball

:amen:

:boyle: +:slick: =:cloud9:

brichard
04-13-2006, 12:07 AM
What we really are is spoiled by Mark Boyle who IMHO is one of the best radio sports broadcasters around...anywhere...-Bball

Not only in the Pacer realm, but I think there are many good radio guys. I am particularly fond of Don Fisher with IU sports.

TheSauceMaster
04-13-2006, 02:56 AM
What ever happened to Scott Hoke? That guy was a great. I like him alot better than the lady they have doing halftime now - Not that she's bad, it just seemed like Scott went more in depth with the game coverage.

Pretty sure Scott Hoke got fired if I remember right. I agree not a big fan of Stacey is it ? It's like sitting there watching paint dry on a 110 degree day with 100% humidity.

I really enjoy Clark and Quinn when they are together , Al tends to ramble and talk alittle to much sometimes but he's not too painful. It really could be worse :devil:

Bill Walton doesn't really bother me , most the time he cracks me up with his commentary. They didn't call him the Mountain Man for nothing :-p

Bball
04-13-2006, 03:56 AM
Pretty sure Scott Hoke got fired if I remember right. I agree not a big fan of Stacey is it ? It's like sitting there watching paint dry on a 110 degree day with 100% humidity.

I really enjoy Clark and Quinn when they are together , Al tends to ramble and talk alittle to much sometimes but he's not too painful.

I don't think I've ever seen Clark and Quinn together? Is that what you meant to type?

-Bball

McClintic Sphere
04-13-2006, 08:21 AM

Tune into to WFYI 90.1, the local NPR station, and you can hear Scott at 5:00 AM and continuing, every morning. I like Scott too, but they thought Johnny Damon, I mean, Stacey Paetz was more alluring, I guess.

:fireworks

RWB
04-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Not only in the Pacer realm, but I think there are many good radio guys. I am particularly fond of Don Fisher with IU sports.

I like what Lamey does for the Colts as well. He can be a homer at times, but has no problem calling the team out when appropriate.

Slick and Boyle are alot of fun too. Balance each other well with Slick obviously dying with this team's mistakes and Mark seems to have this style to diplomatically pimp slap someone without coming across as mean spirited.