PDA

View Full Version : Jay Williams

HulkSmash!
04-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Pacers should look into Jay Williams. He's got loads of talent and could be a huge steal if he's recovered enough from his motocycle accident of 3 years ago. Ever after missing the past 3 NBA seasons, he's still only 24 years old.

HulkSmash!
04-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Jay Williams To The Knicks?
12th April, 2006 - 9:56 am
NY Post - A source has told Marc Berman that former Duke and Chicago point guard Jay Williams is on the Knicks' radar.

Williams has been practicing in Manhattan at the Chelsea Piers, as well as in Houston with Penny Hardaway.

Williams is looking to get invited to a summer-league team this July with plans of playing in the NBA next season, three years after tearing three ligaments in his left knee and severing a nerve in his leg.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/8922/jwill8ay.png

You really think this guy could possibly be any worse than Anthony Johnson or Sarunas Jasikevicius? And Jamaal Tinsley is always injured and has a questionable attitude. What's there to lose?

bread
04-12-2006, 10:45 AM
He's definitely worth a look. Like you said, nothing to lose.

beast23
04-12-2006, 11:25 AM
The Pacers are in limbo. They are nowhere near good enough to contend, and they're not bad enough to get a really good draft choice.

To make any significant improvement it's going to take a little luck in the draft, hopefully having another player like Danny somehow fall into their laps.

It's going to take some smart trades, where we give up a decent player to get a comparable player in return that just fits in better.

And it's going to involve some risk-taking, where maybe we give up a decent player for a combination of draft choices and/or players that either are young and inexperienced or that aren't viewed by many as being as good as the player that is traded.

PG is our most pressing need. At this point, I wouldn't overlook anybody. I'd give him a good look. If he needs a year of workouts or whatever before he's capable of playing, so be it. After we get rid of Gill and one or two of our other PGs, it's not like we won't have the room. My only fear is that there will be a bidding war for his services.

Los Angeles
04-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Just what we need. Another unproven point guard with questionable health and athleticism.

Jermaniac
04-12-2006, 11:34 AM
We would try him out in the summer league and the preseason, we wont give him a 50 million dollar deal.

grace
04-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Just what we need. Another unproven point guard with questionable health and athleticism.

Besides, Reggie says he's overrated. (First time in my life I ever wanted to slap Reggie :mad: )

McClintic Sphere
04-12-2006, 11:36 AM
Time to start a couple of polls regarding whether we need to start/sit/or get rid of Jay Williams due to his injuries.

bulletproof
04-12-2006, 11:42 AM
What happened exactly and how serious were his injuries from the accident?

Jermaniac
04-12-2006, 11:43 AM
At one point they thought about cutting off his leg.

McClintic Sphere
04-12-2006, 11:45 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/bulls/2003-06-19-williams-leg_x.htm

CHICAGO — Chicago Bulls guard Jay Williams remained hospitalized a third day after sustaining injuries in a motorcycle crash that have placed his NBA future in doubt. The Bulls have provided no details on the extent of Williams' injuries, instead saying the atmosphere within the organization was one of "shock and sadness." The Williams family didn't return phone calls from The Associated Press.

According to the Saturday edition of the Chicago Tribune, Williams already has undergone one operation at Illinois Masonic Hospital and is listed in intensive care with injuries to his leg and pelvic bone. The newspaper said Williams is conscious and will need several more surgeries.

Shade
04-12-2006, 11:47 AM
:whistle:

Los Angeles
04-12-2006, 11:56 AM
What happened exactly and how serious were his injuries from the accident?
It took hiim a year and a half to be able to dunk the ball again - a feat that his doctors said he would never be able to accomplish.

The kid has guts and plays through pain, that's for sure.

Since86
04-12-2006, 12:36 PM
He said he was capable of playing this year, but wanted to wait and get even healthier.

Bring him in for a workout, if you like what you see start negoating.

It's not they're going to sign him before a physical.

Chauncey
04-12-2006, 12:46 PM
This is a guy that really deserves the support of fans. He's worked EXTREMELY hard to get back to the point to even POSSIBLY have an NBA career. And there'd be no doubt whatsoever that he appreciates and understands the privilege that it is to play professional sports.

Tom White
04-12-2006, 02:17 PM
At one point they thought about cutting off his leg.

Was that after the accident, or during a game?

DNP-CDA?
(did not play - coach's decision to amputate?)

Eindar
04-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Assuming we get rid of a bunch of PGs during the off-season, I see no problem with bringing him in for our summer league and seeing what's he's got.

Bball
04-13-2006, 12:56 AM
This is a guy that really deserves the support of fans. He's worked EXTREMELY hard to get back to the point to even POSSIBLY have an NBA career. And there'd be no doubt whatsoever that he appreciates and understands the privilege that it is to play professional sports.

This is exactly what I was thinking...

-Bball

Chauncey
04-13-2006, 09:06 AM
This is exactly what I was thinking...

-Bball

Yeah, assuming he can play ball at all next year, I have been saying for the last few months that he's going to be a tremendous pick-up for whomever signs him. He's extremely enthusiastic, a great person in the community, definitely won't ever be pouting and can really give the other guys on the team some perspective when they start to gripe and moan about things.

I'd love to see him playing with the Pacers or Lakers summer league teams and have one of them pick him up..he's definitely one of my favorite people involved with basketball.