PDA

View Full Version : D-League starts to evolve

Chauncey
04-12-2006, 07:14 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-nbarep12apr12,1,1553624.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-lakers&ctrack=1&cset=true

Other than the Lakers owning their own team, this is the most interesting part:

The D-League season starts in November. For its first season, Evans said, the Laker affiliate probably would play its 25 home games at Staples Center, preceding Laker games.

Hopefully this is the way the league goes. This would be awesome, I think.

pacers31tc
04-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Yeah, that would be cool. I just hope they don't keep adding teams like crazy until there are so many obscure teams and players that will never, ever get called up that it's not helpful anymore. The revamped ABA was doing that, and thankfully my hometown team, the Arkansas Rimrockers, got an invitation to be a part of the D League after winning the ABA championship last year. So I hope the D League doesn't turn into that ABA league, with teams in Tijuana and everywhere else, Dennis Rodman making 1 game appearances, etc.

Hicks
04-12-2006, 10:20 AM
So the D-Game is at say, 4PM Pacific and the Lakers game is at 7PM?

Chauncey
04-12-2006, 10:26 AM
So the D-Game is at say, 4PM Pacific and the Lakers game is at 7PM?

Thats what I'm assuming. I think what I'd also like to see them do is that for the D-League game...its pseudo-general admission. You can sit wherever you want until that person comes to take their seat. This would be great for the "average joe" fans to be able to get down courtside for some action. Otherwise, the lower levels (especially at Staples) would be completely empty for the nbdl games. Then during the 1/2hour between games, everyone vacates and re-enters or ushers go around checking tickets, etc.

It may even be better off to have the D-League games earlier in the day some days..say at 1 pm, and have it low-priced general admission...then have special double-header games on the weekends.

I know they dont want to overwhelm the league with too many teams..but I honestly think that every team needs to have their own NBDL team and have it as a true farm system. Expand the draft back to 5-6 rounds to prevent the glamour teams from stocking up on undeveloped talent and have at it.

Shade
04-12-2006, 11:49 AM
That would be pretty cool. Wonder if they'll do any packages with the NBA games?

Stryder
04-12-2006, 11:53 AM
So, it's kinda like the JV game before the Varsity game in high school basketball?

Shade
04-12-2006, 11:58 AM
So, it's kinda like the JV game before the Varsity game in high school basketball?

Depending on the teams, it could be vice-versa.

Los Angeles
04-12-2006, 12:08 PM
At the Pacers/Bulls game, one of the highlights of the venue was the fact that they had a 5 or 10 minute 5-on-5 amateur game going before tipoff. The crowd was really into it, and so was I.

I think it was the first time that my wife really appreciated the skills of the pro players. Seeing the pros right after these guys was like watching the Rolling Stones after a middle-school jazz band concert.

BUT - Don't the Clippers and the Lakers often play on the same day? And who would be there in the afternoon to see the D-league? How will they negotiate the locker rooms? Will a ticket to the pro game allow free admission to the D-league game? I'm not sure this will work all that well.