PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watching Sonics v Spurs on NBATV

Unclebuck
04-11-2006, 09:45 PM
They are trying some new camera angles. Horrible. Unwatchable

Kstat
04-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Actually, that's a "front row" cam.

It's the same angle you would get if you had front-row seats on the sidelines..

I find it to be a nice change of pace. Can't see the whole floor, but you're MUCH closer to the action.

MagicRat
04-11-2006, 09:57 PM
The view from right behind Bo Hill is almost the exact view I had for the Knicks game when I sat about 8 rows behind the Knicks bench.

I kind of like it......

Hicks
04-11-2006, 10:02 PM
I just turned it on after reading this thread. Interesting. I like that NBATV experiments. I see they're combining this "front row" thing with something they played with before: No broadcast team, just the noise from the arena. I like that.

Jermaniac
04-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Remember the Reggie Cam last year. That had to be the worst idea anyone on this face of the earth could have thought of. I wanted to throw my TV out of the window.

Kstat
04-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I like the fact NBA TV tries new stuff.

Kegboy
04-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Remember the Reggie Cam last year. That had to be the worst idea anyone on this face of the earth could have thought of. I wanted to throw my TV out of the window.

Yup. Sucktastic.

Hicks
04-11-2006, 10:16 PM
I missed out on "Reggie cam", but I think I remember reading they stuck to it even when he was on the bench? If so, there's the problem. They should have switched it on and off depending on if he was actually playing. Or better yet, only when the ball is in play, and he's playing.

Kstat
04-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Im pretty sure that was an Orlando Magic TV innovation, not something NBA TV drummed up.

And yes, at some points, they cut away to Reggie on the bench...

Jermaniac
04-11-2006, 10:19 PM
It was horrible Hicks, Reg would be running around screens and ball was not even close to him, teams would score and you would have no idea what the hell happend.

Hicks
04-11-2006, 10:33 PM
One thing they could have done was have the Reggie came during the entire night, but don't use it live. Then in the editing room, put together a cut of the game that switches to Reggie cam on every play he ends up scoring on, or otherwise doing something important, and then otherwise stick to the normal cameras.

Shade
04-11-2006, 10:36 PM
I wish I had NBATV. :(

8.9_seconds
04-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Last Year I had free NBA TV for like a month and half and then POOF it was gone....what a tease.

Jermaniac
04-11-2006, 10:55 PM
I have it and I dont watch it unless the Pacers are playing on NBA Tv.

Los Angeles
04-11-2006, 11:36 PM
I would love to see a game without commentators. That would be a dream come true for me.

For some reason I keep missing them.

Jon Theodore
04-12-2006, 08:39 AM
The NBA would be MUCH MORE POPULAR if you could hear the in game chatter. I know a lot of it is bad language, but who really cares.

Anyways, id like watching NBA a lot more if you could hear the players/coaches more on TV

Gyron
04-12-2006, 09:04 AM
They just took my NBA tv away and I'm not sure why. I need to call time warner on that one.

Kegboy
04-12-2006, 09:22 AM
The NBA would be MUCH MORE POPULAR if you could hear the in game chatter. I know a lot of it is bad language, but who really cares.

Anyways, id like watching NBA a lot more if you could hear the players/coaches more on TV

:nod:

McClintic Sphere
04-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Just a matter of time before the audience member chooses which camera angle he wants to watch at any given time.

Fool
04-12-2006, 10:03 AM
^ Agreed. As well as audio.

RWB
04-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Just a matter of time before the audience member chooses which camera angle he wants to watch at any given time.

Multi angle would be nice. Maybe something could be worked out with split screens or in a PIP sort of way.

One screen would continually show the standard game shots that you normally see (ie: all the action) with the other screen having choices as McS has pointed out.

able
04-12-2006, 11:18 AM
with footbal (both EU and US style) that is already available in the UK, choice of 8 views,and including 5 different comment stream (1 fans and one just game audio) player cam and inscreen display

ChicagoJ
04-12-2006, 01:20 PM
It was horrible Hicks, Reg would be running around screens and ball was not even close to him, teams would score and you would have no idea what the hell happend.

On the flip-side, you also had a great view of how a player should use screens and cuts off the ball. Reggie put on a clinic.

IMO, the television camera puts too much emphasis on who has the ball.

I don't really want off the ball action zoomed in, I'd just prefer they zoom out enough that you can see all ten players.

Kegboy
04-12-2006, 05:12 PM
On the flip-side, you also had a great view of how a player should use screens and cuts off the ball. Reggie put on a clinic.

I don't really want off the ball action zoomed in, I'd just prefer they zoom out enough that you can see all ten players.

A lot of the time he wasn't moving, but stationed in the corner, or sitting on the bench. And most of the time you didn't even know when either team scored, let alone who the player was. Whoever directed the game was horrible.

ChicagoJ
04-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Right. The idea itself was good.

The execution of that idea was very poor.

Optimally, this would've been a picture-in-picture thing.

SycamoreKen
04-12-2006, 05:50 PM

That is one reason I don't like sitting too close to the floor. I like to be able to see the off the ball stuff from above and watch things unfold.

Los Angeles
04-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Kudos to Jay for the "all ten players" line. Yes! I absolutely agree.

This reminds me - during our latest TNT game, my wife and I were watching and if the point guard was at the top of the circle, they were half cut off the side of the screen. I couldn't make sense of it until my wife reminded me that the camera operators were using wide screen hi-def cameras and we were only seeing the "middle" of what the Hi-def viewers were watching.

Does anyone know if the hi-def feed shows all 10 players?

ChicagoJ
04-12-2006, 07:29 PM
That is one reason I don't like sitting too close to the floor. I like to be able to see the off the ball stuff from above and watch things unfold.

That's why I'm a balcony guy.

04-12-2006, 08:24 PM

They knew also that the CAM was awfull. But it was ALL about Reggie that night and they didnt give a crap, it was all in honor of the retiring Legend. Guys like me who play basketball and wants to learn how he moves without the ball and being just a reggie fan... it was beutifull to watch, was just awesome! But i can understand regular fans that got pissed, who just wanted to watch the game.