PDA

View Full Version : A Discussion about Danny Granger and Potential

Kaufman
04-11-2006, 05:32 AM
Dear all,

The last few weeks have been tenuous at best. When we all expected the team to step up, the team has taken a fall backwards. JO and JT's comebacks have not substantiated much of anything other than a tailspin, and sad one at that to most of us loyal and longtime Pacer fans. This has prompted discussions of change for the future.

As fans, we've taken it upon ourselves to consider the immediate future of some of our "superstars" - Tinsley, JO, Stephen Jackson. I think we've all deliberated who the true leader of the team is, and somewhat disappointingly, we've come to conclude that Croshere, a guy who was all but written off in years past, is the soul of the team. We've come to decide that JO is not a true leader, he doesn't lead by example, and he can't lead by his words as they often are empty ones. But he's an all star and we don't want to see him just go away.

I guess this is my question, and I think Bball and I had discussed it in a thread in the past and I'm going to go ahead and bring it up here in its own thread. What is Danny Granger's potential?

We've had a lot of folks compare DG to players past - an immediate one that was made circa draft time and since was to Scottie Pippen. While premature to make such a comparision, I wonder, if that is DG's future, we know that Scottie Pippen wasn't a natural leader either. He was a follower, Michael Jordan's. Does Danny have the ability to lead this team. Meaning, be the soul and heart of this team. It appears to me that the board in general all agree on him and him only as the guy who should remain next year. Otherwise, we're all fractured. But what is it that we see in Danny? Is Danny a guy who can stand in the forefront and lead by example? Can he score "leader" like points - 20-25 a game? Can he command the respect of his teammates? While he plays another position - can he play a Reggie Miller like role for this team and this city?

I'd like to know what you all think... Maybe we can have some interesting conversation here.

Hicks
04-11-2006, 10:10 AM
I think he can be. Unless he's just a jerk in the lockerroom, watching him on the court he seems like he's a guy who will become more vocal next year (and I already see bits of it now), and he's clearly got the talent and the effort to back up talking.

I think if you ran an offense suited specifically for him, and gave the the FGA per game the other star scorers in the league get, he'd average around 25ppg in a year or two.

bulldog
04-11-2006, 10:14 AM
I think if you ran an offense suited specifically for him, and gave the the FGA per game the other star scorers in the league get, he'd average around 25ppg in a year or two.

He doesn't seem to me to be a volume shooter though...I think he's much more comfortable picking his spots and going on little bursts, but not necessarily shooting twenty-thirty times a game.

That can change, of course, but do we want it to?

loborick
04-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Danny was the vocal and playing leader of the Lobos. He can be the leader in actions and words. But he is only a rookie on the same team with a lot of "strong" personalities. If he is needed to do it, he can.