PDA

View Full Version : Yao Ming Breaks Left Foot

SoupIsGood
04-10-2006, 11:29 PM
SALT LAKE CITY - Houston Rockets center Yao Ming broke his left foot when another player stepped on it late in the first quarter against Utah on Monday night.

The Chinese star appeared to be injured when Utah's Andrei Kirilenko stepped on his foot while the two were under the basket. Yao got the offensive rebound and converted the three-point play after Kirilenko was called for a foul.

After making the layup, Yao bent down and rubbed his left foot before going to the line. He left the game about a minute later.

Yao, averaging 22.6 points and 10.3 rebounds, had five points, two rebounds and a block in 8:31 before leaving the game.

Houston was already without leading scorer Tracy McGrady, who is out for the rest of the season with a back injury.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060411...n_rockets_yao_1 (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060411/ap_on_sp_bk_ne/bkn_rockets_yao_1)

This, and also what has happened to the Rockets team as a whole this year, just saddens me.

Yao was finally coming into his own - becoming that man-beast of a player that everyone has expected and hoped for.

Yao, for the season, was averaging 23 points, 10 boards, and nearly two blocks, all on an amazing 16 shots a game.

Finally, Yao was playing big minutes, and he wasn't fouling quite as much. His previous three years in the league, these had been real problems for him.

To see Yao's ascent to superstardom cut short like this (he had been averaging 27 and 12 since the All-Star break)... it's just a shame. There aren't many non-Pacers in this league that I truly, earnestly root for, but Yao is definitely one of those guys. To not only be deprived of watching this guy compete in the playoffs, but also have his season cut short by yet ANOTHER injury, it's a severe let-down for not only the Rockets, but also the NBA in general.

Many tease Yao Ming for being 'soft,' but I think we should applaud him for being one of the few true nice guys in the National Basketball Association.

Better luck next year, big man. :(

8.9_seconds
04-10-2006, 11:33 PM
There aren't many non-Pacers in this league that I truly, earnestly root for, but Yao is definitely one of those guys.

Many tease Yao Ming for being 'soft,' but I think we should applaud him for being one of the few true nice guys in the National Basketball Association.

Better luck next year, big man. :(

I agree.How can you not root for Yao?

ghost
04-10-2006, 11:34 PM
I just hope that his foot will heal well. It's always complicated with athletes and especially with big guys.

Shade
04-10-2006, 11:55 PM
Yeesh, that's too bad.

It seems like the major injuries to big men this year is at an all-time high. Yao, JO, Bosh, Amare, Frye, and more...

SoupIsGood
04-10-2006, 11:57 PM
What happened to Frye?

Also, Shaq, altho his injuries are a yearly thing.

SoupIsGood
04-11-2006, 12:00 AM
I just hope that his foot will heal well. It's always complicated with athletes and especially with big guys.

Excellent point! I hadn't even thought of this. Hopefully his feet do not doom him in the end a la Rik Smits.

Jermaniac
04-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Nate Robinson (midget ***** as I like to call him) pushed Raptors Andre Barret into Frye's knee and he had some type of season ending knee injury.

sweabs
04-11-2006, 12:43 AM
The foot injury also appears to be quite serious. Well, obviously it's broken, but more specifically it's a "Jones Fracture".

Jones fractures can become chronic conditions if the fracture fails to unite. If this is the case, surgery will likely be recommended to secure the fracture in place with a screw.

I found that little piece...perhaps Mr. Kaufdizzle can explain more?