PDA

View Full Version : Austin called a players only meeting....

Peck
04-10-2006, 10:11 PM
today after the shootaround according to Chad Forcier.

When the team was done with practice & the coach was dismissing the team Austin apperantly said he wanted to talk to the players.

I guess none of the coach's were in the room from the way he said it.

Make fun of the guy all you want, complain about his salary all you want, talk about his thinning hair all you want but remember this. He is the only leader on this team.

Remember earlier this season when he said the team lacked leadership & then went out & played one h#ll of a game? Well, tonight he called this & once again had one h#ll of a game.

Sometimes a players value cannot be measured in mere stats alone (although tonight his stats were great), this is the closest the guy has come or ever will come to earning that contract.

Jermaniac
04-10-2006, 10:15 PM
I saw Cro running back on defense in the first qtr, and he yelled really loud "LETS GO" cause the team was playing lazy, and I was glad to have Cro back. I have no problem with Cro playing. Big props to Cro, the ultimate Pro.

Pacersfan.
04-10-2006, 10:16 PM
I loved the energy Cro and Scot brought to the game.

Hicks
04-10-2006, 10:36 PM
Cro was far and away the stand out tonight. He is the leader of this team, IMO. We can not trade him.

pizza guy
04-10-2006, 10:41 PM
I'd like to keep Cro around for that simple reason.

Hicks
04-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Let me make me feelings for Croshere as a Pacer abundantly clear: If I could trade Austin, straight up, for Brad Miller, I'd say no.

Kegboy
04-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Let me make me feelings for Croshere as a Pacer abundantly clear: If I could trade Austin, straight up, for Brad Miller, I'd say no.

Yeah, you're just saying that cause I let it slip that Brad was cheating on you.

:devil:

SoupIsGood
04-10-2006, 10:53 PM

:-o

Shade
04-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Good for Cro. The only bad thing is, with Rick at the helm, Danny's PT is going to suffer with Cro on the team...even though they don't play the same position.

ghost
04-10-2006, 11:02 PM

:-o :-o :-o

8.9_seconds
04-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Hey,uh....not to pat myself on the back.....but uh, who always has said this about Cro? Who has always supported him and taken criticisms for being his number 1 fan??

Oh Justice, how sweet ye are.......;)

Arcadian
04-10-2006, 11:11 PM
I'd have no problem keeping him. It is unfortunate that now his having an expiring contract he may have trade value than our other players.

MagicRat
04-10-2006, 11:12 PM
"Well, I think being here for 9 years gives me the platform to speak. You know I might not be the best player on the team; I might not be the captain, but being here 9 years definitely gives me that platform and sometimes you just can't go down without saying things that need to be said....."

He probably gave a good idea and what he had to say in the player's only meeting with another answer, talking about the "need to change the way we've been playing and come out and, you know, just get back to the basics: playing for each other, being happy for your teammates. I think our attitude was a little different tonight and it helped our talent show."

Good stuff from Austin on the post-game show......

Jermaniac
04-10-2006, 11:13 PM
The quote on the Pacers website doesnt say all that.

Why didnt he just come out and say well Jermaine O'Neal sucks.

Unclebuck
04-10-2006, 11:18 PM
today after the shootaround according to Chad Forcier.

When the team was done with practice & the coach was dismissing the team Austin apperantly said he wanted to talk to the players.

I guess none of the coach's were in the room from the way he said it.

Make fun of the guy all you want, complain about his salary all you want, talk about his thinning hair all you want but remember this. He is the only leader on this team.

Remember earlier this season when he said the team lacked leadership & then went out & played one h#ll of a game? Well, tonight he called this & once again had one h#ll of a game.

Sometimes a players value cannot be measured in mere stats alone (although tonight his stats were great), this is the closest the guy has come or ever will come to earning that contract.

I don't put too much stock in team meetings, whether they are player only or not. But I will say they really have missed Croshere this season. For whatever reason I didn't realize it until tonight. You can never overstate the value of a smart veteran player, who knows how to play the game. A player like Cro makes his teammates better. Rick loves Cro, and the Pacers have really missed him

dynamis22
04-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Austin Croshere's leadership skills are not enough to turn this thing around. We need to reconstruct in the offseason still.

8.9_seconds
04-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Austin Croshere's leadership skills are not enough to turn this thing around. We need to reconstruct in the offseason still.

Austin's Skills can move Mountains!!!!!How dare you!!!! Austin Could Turn Around a bus in the middle of the ocean with an octapus wrapped around the axle, Jeff being drunk in the backseat, Tinsley waivin a dust pan, and Hulk Smashin out windows!!!!!!! This dude is amazing.

dynamis22
04-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Austin's Skills can move Mountains!!!!!How dare you!!!! Austin Could Turn Around a bus in the middle of the ocean with an octapus wrapped around the axle, Jeff being drunk in the backseat, Tinsley waivin a dust pan, and Hulk Smashin out windows!!!!!!! This dude is amazing.

"Well, I think being here for 9 months gives me the platform to speak. You know I might not be the best poster on the team; I might not be the cap'n, but being here 9 months definitely gives me that platform and sometimes you just can't go down without saying things that need to be said....."

-dynamis

MagicRat
04-10-2006, 11:29 PM
The quote on the Pacers website doesnt say all that.

Why didnt he just come out and say well Jermaine O'Neal sucks.

Now, now. Get the hate out of your heart......

He did say the "captains and best players and guys that have been here have been pretty vocal about how upset we've been with the way things have been going for us and, you know, we came out and played well tonight."

I assume he includes JO somewhere in that group.....:whoknows:

brichard
What is impressive to me as his shooting (7-10) is his rebounding. I didn not see the game, but this is an instance where statistics make it pretty clear he had a good game. Eleven boards is pretty strong.

I also saw that AC had 3 offensive boards and Foster had 6. When we get those kind of offensive boards, I'm assuming the hustle was there.

It also looks like we had a solid night from AJ and JT.

8.9_seconds
"Well, I think being here for 9 months gives me the platform to speak. You know I might not be the best poster on the team; I might not be the cap'n, but being here 9 months definitely gives me that platform and sometimes you just can't go down without saying things that need to be said....."

-dynamis

hehe, that was nice, I'll give you that one.;)

dynamis22
04-10-2006, 11:33 PM
hehe, that was nice, I'll give you that one.;)

Much appreciated! Go Cubs

Anthem
04-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Peck, you and I are probably never going to agree on Austin's first couple years after his contract. I thought it was Austin's fault, you thought it was Zeke's. But remember that during that whole period, I maintained that Austin would be able to earn his contract.

We're looking at a total recontruct this summer, and Austin will be (for the first time in 7 years) a valuable commodity. But for the first time in 7 years, I will be really disappointed if we trade him. For better or for worse, Austin is the team's soul. He's as much of a leader as they have.

And I hope he spends his whole career here.

Mushmouth
04-11-2006, 10:06 AM
When Cro focuses on his game (which is not shooting 3's at 30% and playing the perimeter) he's a solid player. His contract is no longer a burden really, it's pretty reasonable at this point, especially considering what we're paying others. Most importantly, he clearly understands the game better than almost everyone on the team.

He'll be an asset in the rebuild.

sixthman
04-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Did anyone watch last Friday's game? Austin wasn't worth a diddle. That's Austin's problem: He is way too inconsistent and too often he doesn't match up well with the opposition defensively. Plus he offers his team nothing as a threat in the post.

Like Stephen Jackson, when Cro's shot isn't falling, usually other aspects of his game suffer greatly. The way I see it, Austin offers a nice expiring contract, and is a great guy with which to fill out your roster, but as we look to the future he's not much to hang your hat on.

Hicks
04-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Austin didn't PLAY last Friday.

McClintic Sphere
04-11-2006, 12:36 PM
I have a difficult time understanding the same people ripping Tinsley for his injury situation and then lauding Cro-mag as indispensible. His injury to salary ratio has to be worse than the Tinman.

Knucklehead Warrior
04-11-2006, 12:40 PM
:apple: :dorange:

RWB
04-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Glad Austin reads PD....

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20378

Doug in CO
04-11-2006, 01:52 PM

Don't confuse him with the facts!

Anthem
04-11-2006, 02:59 PM
I have a difficult time understanding the same people ripping Tinsley for his injury situation and then lauding Cro-mag as indispensible. His injury to salary ratio has to be worse than the Tinman.
Far be it from me to defend Croshere, but a good part of what Croshere brings he can bring from the bench. I really like Tinsley, but he's no good to us if he's not on the floor.

Hicks
04-11-2006, 03:05 PM

For me it has to do with the fact that I actually believe Croshere's injuries are always real, and on-court related. Instead of sudden injuries just as he's getting benched, or constant bouts of 'sinusitus'.

Lord Helmet
04-11-2006, 04:51 PM
For me it has to do with the fact that I actually believe Croshere's injuries are always real, and on-court related. Instead of sudden injuries just as he's getting benched, or constant bouts of 'sinusitus'.
Yep, at least Cro's injuries are legit. To where Tinsley is all of a sudden hurt and can't play because he's been benched :rolleyes: .

Sollozzo
04-11-2006, 06:39 PM

Speaking of Brad Miller, he's played in 75 games this year (with 4 or 5 left, i assume).

Averaging 15 pts, 7.8 bds, 4.8 assists.

Gee, so much for always breaking down at the end of the season.

Hicks
04-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Speaking of Brad Miller, he's played in 75 games this year (with 4 or 5 left, i assume).

Averaging 15 pts, 7.8 bds, 4.8 assists.

Gee, so much for always breaking down at the end of the season.

:shhh:

larry
04-11-2006, 07:16 PM
we played the best this year w/ pollard. its odd but he sure has helped us win this year and we struggle w/o him

BoomBaby31
04-11-2006, 10:04 PM
I've always like Cro.. (especially in 2001 :) ). He won't get a contract anything like he did in 01 but, he will get one and stay with the Pacers. There is some guys you keep around and some you let go, I say we keep Cro. We need to get rid of the "baggage" this off season, Tinsley, Jack and if Neccesary J.O. Granger will most diffently become a starter next season and will mature so much during the Offseason it will be amazing how productive he will be. We can get a REALLY good crew for Tins, Jack and maybe JO. I like Pollard but, he is just injury prone for me. maybe Sactown would take him back for Miller lol.

sixthman
04-12-2006, 12:02 AM

Good catch. Obviously he played Sunday and not Friday. I know he wasn't the only one struggling with the Pistons defense, but the fact is Austin's play does run hot and cold and he is a power forward who has no post up game to speak of and often gets mismatched defensively.

fwpacerfan
04-13-2006, 08:43 AM
I think Cro is definitely one of the few leaders on this team. I looked for the "J.O. not happy with Croshere's comments" thread from November of this year but it has mysteriously dissappeared. Cro got flack for saying this team needed a leader and, lo and behold, he was proven correct.

I think him calling a team meeting is huge. I'm amazed by people who say team meetings don't mean much. Team meetings CAN make a huge difference and for a player to have the guts to lead one is impressive.

A basketball team is no different than any other organization in that you need to have leaders in the group besides the "Manager", "Coach", "President" or whatever other title management is given. You need the actual worker who will take charge when the manager isn't around and help keep things on track. A manager cannot be successful without quality people around him and that includes people who are willing to say what needs to be said to their co-workers.

Unclebuck
04-13-2006, 09:02 AM
we played the best this year w/ pollard. its odd but he sure has helped us win this year and we struggle w/o him

Nothing odd about it. You can never over-state the value of a veteran player, especially a veteran bigman. Fans always complain about coaches (not just Rick) reluctance to play younger players, well younger players get coaches fired.

Skaut_Ech
04-13-2006, 11:52 AM
I think Cro is definitely one of the few leaders on this team. I looked for the "J.O. not happy with Croshere's comments" thread from November of this year but it has mysteriously dissappeared. Cro got flack for saying this team needed a leader and, lo and behold, he was proven correct.

I think him calling a team meeting is huge. I'm amazed by people who say team meetings don't mean much. Team meetings CAN make a huge difference and for a player to have the guts to lead one is impressive.

A basketball team is no different than any other organization in that you need to have leaders in the group besides the "Manager", "Coach", "President" or whatever other title management is given. You need the actual worker who will take charge when the manager isn't around and help keep things on track. A manager cannot be successful without quality people around him and that includes people who are willing to say what needs to be said to their co-workers.

That's part of what I don't like aboout this team. I don't feel like we have a team leader. anyone who points to Jo is sadly deluded, imho. :sorry:

I've really grown in my admiration of Austin. He's been there, puts in his work and doesn't complain. I agree with sixthman, that he's a player of limited abilities, but he seems to be bringing that intangible of lockerroom presense. I keep hoping in the off season, we'll bring in an "oldhead" as Reggie used to refer to jokingly refer to Sam Mitchell and Tank Thompson.

I think of any changes we make in the off-season, an effort should be made to keep Austin. (Did I just say that?)

Raskolnikov
04-13-2006, 12:26 PM
QOD: Is Croshere’s Return Just What Doctor Ordered?

<TABLE borderColor=#003366 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=90 align=left bgColor=#ffcc00 border=2><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/conrad_brunner.jpg QUESTION
OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Q. I've always been impressed with Austin Croshere and how he has always been so professional. I really like the way he has taken charge and leads by example with his hard-work attitude. Do you think having him back on the court is what this team needs most right now? (From Chris in Neenah, Wis.)
Of the many things that were wrong with the Pacers for most of the month of March, I'll admit I never considered the absence of Croshere to be a major contributing factor. In the last week or so, however, I've learned how wrong I was to overlook the importance of the veteran's presence. As the longest-tenured member of the Pacers, Croshere has earned a place in the hierarchy of the locker room. And it was apparently his idea to call a players-only meeting Monday afternoon to try and get the team's mind right after the embarrassing nationally televised blowout in Detroit.

Since then, Croshere has played exceptionally well in helping the Pacers to consecutive victories over the Knicks and Celtics, totaling 37 points and 14 rebounds while making 14-of-23 shots (.609), including 7-of-14 from the 3-point line. The whole team, in fact, played with more of a collective spark against the Celtics than it has shown in months, to it appears the meeting achieved the desired results.

From a physical standpoint, having him back stabilizes the frontcourt rotation. From a chemistry standpoint, he has emerged as more of a vocal presence. Based on both experience and performance, he's earned the right to be heard, and it appears he's rising to the responsibility. Frankly, that may be exactly what this team needs.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question.html

8.9_seconds
04-13-2006, 05:47 PM
Reggie has always, and will always be my favorite player of all time.

I love Rik Smits, Mark Jackson,Dale, Chris Mullen, Big Smooth, and even Travis Best.

-But-

After Reggie, Austin is my favorite Player of all time. He has been since '99, I love Austin, I want him to retire here.

fwpacerfan
04-14-2006, 07:42 AM
That's part of what I don't like aboout this team. I don't feel like we have a team leader. anyone who points to Jo is sadly deluded, imho. :sorry:

I've really grown in my admiration of Austin. He's been there, puts in his work and doesn't complain. I agree with sixthman, that he's a player of limited abilities, but he seems to be bringing that intangible of lockerroom presense. I keep hoping in the off season, we'll bring in an "oldhead" as Reggie used to refer to jokingly refer to Sam Mitchell and Tank Thompson.

I think of any changes we make in the off-season, an effort should be made to keep Austin. (Did I just say that?)

It's funny you mention bringing in an "oldhead". My thoughts were along the same lines as one of the offseason moves that needed to be made. I never thought that maybe that "oldhead" was already on the roster. I think Austin can still contribute on the court and if you get rid of some of the knuckleheads on the team, I think he can really contribute off of it.