PDA

View Full Version : What would you think if I sang out of tune?

Seed
04-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Would you stand up and walk out on me?

Pacers fans, let me say this:
The season is NOT over. I'm fed up with all this negativity.
If there's anything to learn from European sport culture (mainly soccer, but not only), is that fans should NEVER, EVER, EVER EVER walk out on our team during the season. There will be lots of time for throwing mud in the post-season for those interesed. But for now - real fans should support the players, yes, even the players they hate. With all their hearts.

So let me tell you this - we will win the Knicks tommorow, we will make the playoffs. And if this forum shows support, it will reach the team and the players.

Those who want to be sarcastic, may go ahead. But a true fan never gives up during the season. He may be depressed, but he'll keep on singing.

:reggie: :fingerscr

Evan_The_Dude
04-09-2006, 07:23 PM
How many European teams come out and play with no heart?

Kegboy
04-09-2006, 07:26 PM
So, we should stick it out even though the players aren't? Maybe they should suit fans up instead, then.

Seed
04-09-2006, 07:37 PM
This is exactly what we should do, and it will reach them.

Do you honestly believe the players are trying to fail?
This is our team, and it needs to regain belief and confidence. We have good players and a good coach who are capable of better basketball.

And if they give up, we will have to remind them we are not giving up, and the shame will be on them. But until then - let's bring on some positivity here. Common.

This is not closing your eyes, this is opening them right against the worst enemy, and laughing at his face. We will prevail.
:pineapple

You just see.

Bball
04-09-2006, 07:43 PM
This is exactly what we should do, and it will reach them.

Do you honestly believe the players are trying to fail?

No... I'm not sure they are trying at all...

As a matter of fact, if they tried to fail, the way things are going they'd mess that up too and end up in the Finals...

:rimshot:

-Bball

Moses
04-09-2006, 07:44 PM
I'm not leaving the Pacers as a fan, I just have no confidence in them. We are out there playing like the god damn Charlotte Bobcats.

Hicks
04-09-2006, 07:45 PM
I'll throw out some dancing fruit for that.

:dance: :mango: :apple:

grace
04-09-2006, 08:04 PM
So, we should stick it out even though the players aren't? Maybe they should suit fans up instead, then.

Like I said at half time of Reggie's jersey retirement game they should have sent the former players out to play the second half. Even if they didn't let Dale and Al play they would have played better than the actual team does.

Personally, I've had it with the Pacers. If they don't make significant changes (that I like) in the off season I'm giving serious consideration to paying for League Pass so I can watch all the Bulls games and not waste my time on the Pacers.

Anthem
04-09-2006, 08:11 PM
I'll throw out some dancing fruit for that.

:dance: :mango: :apple:
Your banana's stuck. :flirt:

You might want to get that looked at.

Bball
04-09-2006, 08:14 PM

That's a personal issue...

-Bball

Shade
04-09-2006, 08:15 PM

He's not stuck. He's a Pacers fan.

Kaufman
04-09-2006, 08:30 PM
A great song - that stood on its own even before the Wonder Years - which was a great show in its own right.

rexnom
04-09-2006, 08:40 PM

If there's anything to learn from European sport culture (mainly soccer, but not only), is that fans should NEVER, EVER, EVER EVER walk out on our team during the season. There will be lots of time for throwing mud in the post-season for those interesed. But for now - real fans should support the players, yes, even the players they hate. With all their hearts.

So let me tell you this - we will win the Knicks tommorow, we will make the playoffs. And if this forum shows support, it will reach the team and the players.

Those who want to be sarcastic, may go ahead. But a true fan never gives up during the season. He may be depressed, but he'll keep on singing.

Ever heard of Inter Milan fans? Sure...they never give up on their team.

MagicRat
04-09-2006, 09:08 PM
:pepper:

Kegboy
04-09-2006, 09:12 PM
I'm not leaving the Pacers as a fan, I just have no confidence in them. We are out there playing like the god damn Charlotte Bobcats.
Hey now, watch your mouth. You'll see what Bobcats really play like on Saturday. :flex:

Outsider
04-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Why is it when people are complaining about a team that is playing poorly, people say they are not being true fans?????

If we were not true fans we wouldn't give a dam if they were playing poorly. It is only because we DO CARE that we are all pissed off. We want this team to do what they are capable of but we don't see if on any given night.

I would say only the TRUE FAN is upset when things are going good and are willing to call a team out for playing poorly. To have blinders on is a poor way to root and help your team.

That being said........ if the Pacers loose to the Knicks tomorrow where will you stand as a fan?

Kaufman
04-09-2006, 09:20 PM
That being said........ if the Pacers loose to the Knicks tomorrow where will you stand as a fan?

I don't think that winning or losing affect my relationship with the Pacers as a fan. I may cringe, but I won't estrange myself from the team...

And for those who won't be fans simply on the basis of wins or losses really aren't fans to begin with.

Evan_The_Dude
04-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Why is it when people are complaining about a team that is playing poorly, people say they are not being true fans?????

If we were not true fans we wouldn't give a dam if they were playing poorly. It is only because we DO CARE that we are all pissed off. We want this team to do what they are capable of but we don't see if on any given night.

I would say only the TRUE FAN is upset when things are going good and are willing to call a team out for playing poorly. To have blinders on is a poor way to root and help your team.

Preach on!

To me, giving this team a positive only reaction is like having dinner with a friend, letting him or her conversate with a string of cheese hanging from his or her chin, and not saying anything pretending it's not even there, though it's annoying the ****** out of you.

Putnam
04-09-2006, 09:50 PM

Well said. And what are we supposed to be true to or loyal to, anyways? The players come and go, and it is only the franchise that will last. My loyalty is to the franchise, as has been since the red, white and blue ball.

But when somebody takes multi-millions and puts on the blue and gold, and then goes out night after night and stinks up the fieldhouse....I see no reason why I should be loyal to that guy.

I'm still a true fan of the Indiana Pacers. Which is WHY I am down on these players.

PacerMan
04-09-2006, 09:57 PM
I don't think that winning or losing affect my relationship with the Pacers as a fan. I may cringe, but I won't estrange myself from the team...

And for those who won't be fans simply on the basis or wins or losses really aren't fans to begin with.

A---------------------------men.

Bandwagon jumpers.

Big Smooth
04-09-2006, 10:10 PM

Spare us the lecture. We live and breathe Indiana basketball. I've followed the Pacers since 1986 when they were just another mediocre team. You criticism rings rather hollow. I'd be happy to keep cheering on this team except it now is apparent that I care more than they care.

But if you feel the need to beat your chest over your perceived cultural superiority then so be it. Whatever floats your boat.

You truly do not connect with long-time Pacer fans. So don't brow beat us.

Hicks
04-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Good Lord you people are touchy. The man is trying to be nice and trying to be positive, and all you can do is ***** about him being enthusiastic and mentioning his own culture while he does it. As if Americans never puff their chests.

SoupIsGood
04-09-2006, 10:31 PM

I think this is the first PD post that I have sung along to. I liked it...

Seed
04-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Just got to read replies on this thread.

Look, for those who got upset by me bragging about the 'Euro' culture, let me just mention a few things: First, I am not European more than most of you. I live in the middle east, in a country that is not a member of the EU, and my culture is not European more than American in any way. I pointed something I see and like (mostly in UK soccer). I call myself sometimes 'Euro fan' in the threads, just to express the fact I watch and like both leagues. Me bragging about European culture? or saying it is superior? ahhh no.

Secondly, I invite you guys over to watch a basketball game of the Jerusalem Bball club. On occasions you will see the team beaten by a margin of 20, and the fans singing in the stands. You may think they are idiots, and the fact is some of them trully are, but others choose to sing both on victories and defeats. This does not mean they do not realize the problems, or they ignore them, but they choose to support the players, the coaching stuff, and the management. If they think a player sucks, they will not boo him. Instead - they will call the name of the one they think should be on court.
This is twice the case with some UK soccer fans (anyone watched Liverpool playing will know what I mean).

What I am trying to say is that I think the best way to fight trouble is by acting in a positive manner. Does this mean - stop thinking and criticizing? Not at all. Is this some kind of paradox? guess so.

I was saying what I think true fans should do, but in no way said that anyone is not a true fan if he does not do it. There is a huge distinction here.

Also guys, English is my 2nd-3rd language. My first language has a different alpha-bet and is written from right to left, so cut me (us) some slack here.
Anyway, apparently some of you did see I was trying to be positive, and not preaching. So this is encouraging, and for the love of god:
:pineapple
We will beat them Knicks tonight.

Raskolnikov
04-10-2006, 01:49 PM
:sunshine:

Bball
04-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Also guys, English is my 2nd-3rd language. My first language has a different alpha-bet and is written from right to left, so cut me (us) some slack here.

Your English is too good so no slack cutting for you! ;)

-Bball

Outsider
04-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Sorry if I came over too strong. I can see your points (and yes, your english is too good to deserve any slack). I guess I am just tired of those that come on here pushing ******-itus (IE blind faith).