PDA

View Full Version : How Well do you Like.... (Day 2)

8.9_seconds
04-09-2006, 06:47 PM
This is the "How well do you Like..." There's been alot of , in the truest since of the word, 'playa hatin' goin on, and I think it can be attributed to how we're playing. So, I want to know if you like the particular player the thread is dedicated to based not on how they play, but just how you feel and think about them. This way, maybe we can find an official general consensus.

Today's Player: :fjones:

Today, we go Public!

Big Smooth
04-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Fred Jones:

I like him. He has a lot of potential that can be developed. My initial thoughts on him were that he had awesome athletic ability but no jumpshot so I wasn't all that enthused. But it became obvious to me by the 2004 playoffs that Fred had worked on his game. His shot appeared to be much improved, I can remember him raining jumpers on the Celtics in the 1st round.

Pretty effective at getting to the rim, able to draw some fouls and generally finishes well. I look at Fred as a fairly well-balanced player.

So yeah, I like his game. But if he needs to be packaged to make a critical trade work, I'd be fine with it. There are very few "untouchables" in my world. ;)

Jermaniac
04-09-2006, 06:57 PM
I like him and then I dont like him.

Looks like a SG you want to give the starting job to, for 3 games.

Then 5 games in a row he does nothing out on the court. If we lose him this offseason I wont lose sleep over it.

317Kim
04-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Good Ol Indiana Jones.

Quick and Athletic. A good perimeter defender and just a great defender in general. His perimeter shooting has improved a lot while his slashing skills are great especially when he goes to the right. I remember last year on Nov. 20th, he had a career high 31 points and we almost beat the Magic. It was quite a scene.

Although, he's been ick lately, that torn ligament in his left thumb is in a place where there's no way to avoid touching it. It's like last year when he has that injury to his knuckles.

I'm hoping to resign him.

SoupIsGood
04-09-2006, 07:04 PM
if you like the particular player the thread is dedicated to based not on how they play, but just how you feel and think about them

I try to keep this in mind. Fred has a great attitude and is a great guy. Rock on Fred.

Big Smooth
04-09-2006, 07:05 PM
I like him and then I dont like him.

Looks like a SG you want to give the starting job to, for 3 games.

Then 5 games in a row he does nothing out on the court. If we lose him this offseason I wont lose sleep over it.

I tend to think if we could achieve some semblance of stability and give him a well-defined role then Fred could be more consistent. Obviously stability hasn't been in the Pacers dictionary the last couple years.

BlueNGold
04-09-2006, 07:07 PM
I like him. However, mainly for the athleticism he brings the team. I think we need to pick up a couple more athletes like him if he goes. He will never be anything more than a very good backup, so I am not sweating his possible departure.

Tim
04-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Freddie is gone, we can't afford to keep him. Heck he might be included in a sign and trade with another Pacer.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
04-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Fred is one of my favorite players, one of the few I want back next season. Ill admit hes been pretty much worthless since he came back from the injury, but lets face it he didnt really have a pretty scene to come back to.

Before the injury, during that period after the Peja trade when the team was actually playing with some heart and getting some wins, Freddie was a REAL big part of that. He headed the 2nd unit that dug us out of a lot of deficits during those games. He brings a ton of energy off the bench and thats something that this team really needs.

I would like to have Freddie as a long term sixth man for this team. Earlier this season he might have been playing himself out of our financial reach, but since the injury he hasnt been too good and Im hoping we can resign him.

Moses
04-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Bad time to put this poll up. He tore a ligament in his hand and I really don't think he should be judged based on his recent performances. If the guy learned to dribble with his left hand, he would be a pretty dominant player in my opinion..But until that time, he will just be a backup and decent shooting guard.

Unclebuck
04-09-2006, 07:47 PM
I think he's one of the best backup shooting guards in the NBA, I like him

Hicks
04-09-2006, 07:48 PM
I used to like him until I realized this was as good as he'd get, and I didn't like what that was as much as I thought I did.

Big Smooth
04-09-2006, 08:02 PM
I used to like him until I realized this was as good as he'd get, and I didn't like what that was as much as I thought I did.

I really don't understand what would make you think he cannot improve further. I think a couple of random hand injuries have slowed his progress, that is all. Not saying he will be a star in the league but I don't see him as having topped out. Maybe it's just me *shrug*

Shade
04-09-2006, 08:10 PM
Freddie's a keeper...for the right price. He is likely a career back-up, but a solid one.

Bball
04-09-2006, 08:13 PM
I agree with Hicks and Jermaniac. Wow...

If we allowed Freddie to go I would never have to see the ball in his hands (as a Pacer) with the game clock expiring on a quarter ever again. I would also not have to see him jump in the air and then look to make a pass with no idea where he wants the ball to go.

I could live with that.

OTOH, if he could be re-signed on the cheap I'd be OK with that too I guess. Maybe a new coach could do something about those issues I mentioned above. If nothing else, having him around could make for some future trade filler or sweetener.

No bidding war for Freddie tho.

-Bball

rexnom
04-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Freddie is as good of a backup as you're gonna get pretty much IMO. Some people expect too much out of him...including Rick...he's solid in a defined role...like around when Peja came and he started tearing it up in the 4th...I say we keep him.

Putnam
04-09-2006, 09:27 PM

This says it for me. He's an outstanding athlete, but only fair at basktball.

Kegboy
04-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Since the question was how you like the player, not how he plays, I like Freddie just fine. I'd probably say that about everybody we have.

pizza guy
04-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Freddie is an amazing athlete, and I've never seen any reason to complain about his personality or work ethic. What I have reason to question is his basketball IQ. While he might be a good defender, he lacks the intelligence to know how to use his athletic ability on the other end. Too many times we have seen this (http://sportserver.nandomedia.com/ips_rich_content/760-jones.jpg), and not enough times this (http://media.mnginteractive.com/media/paper101/pacers112704.jpg). He's a decent backup, but he needs the ball in his hands to be effective, and I cringe sometimes when the ball is in his hands.

ChicagoJ
04-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Ball hog. Can only go right. Overrated defensively. Too small to play SG. Unable to earn PG minutes.

If we can resign him for a modest increase to keep him as our eighth/ ninth man, okay.

If we can use his money to find a real combo guard, that's even better.

If he is offered anything more than a modest increase this summer, we should let him go. His career will look like Al's - he might find a lottery-bound team to start for, but he'll never play a huge role on a contending team.

Depends on what he wants from his career - money or a chance to play on a contender. I assume he'll take the money now and try to latch onto a contender later in his career. And that would be the wise thing to do in his position.

SoupIsGood
04-09-2006, 10:04 PM
if you like the particular player the thread is dedicated to based not on how they play, but just how you feel and think about them

Am I the only one who sees this, am I doing it wrong, does anyone even care anymore :confused:

Hicks
04-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Since the question was how you like the player, not how he plays, I like Freddie just fine. I'd probably say that about everybody we have.

You can lie to yourself, but not to me.

NOT TO ME!!!

:cry:

Kegboy
04-09-2006, 10:09 PM
You can lie to yourself, but not to me.

NOT TO ME!!!

:cry:
The only NBA player I hate is Brad, for leaving me! :bawl:

Oh, um, you weren't supposed to hear that. Nevermind. :runout:

SoupIsGood
04-09-2006, 10:12 PM

Oops, I missed your response.

:yes: I'm not the only one.

Roy Munson
04-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Ball hog.

This is a strange assessment of Freddy. Ball Hogs shoot a lot, they dominate the ball, and they don't like to pass. I can think of ball hogs in the NBA. Freddy is NOT a ball hog.