PDA

View Full Version : JO: "We don't even deserve to be in the playoffs."

Shade
04-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Yep...a talking team, indeed. :disappoin

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=260409008

Pistons hammer Pacers by 25 behind balanced attack

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- Detroit took another step toward earning home-court advantage throughout the NBA playoffs, while Indiana continued a slide that could keep it home during the postseason.

In fact, Jermaine O'Neal (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3120) said the Pacers don't deserve to make the playoffs.

Tayshaun Prince (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3621) scored all of his 17 points in the second half to lead six double-digit scorers for the Pistons in a 98-73 victory over Indiana on Sunday.

Detroit (62-15) is a victory away from matching its franchise record for wins and barring a late slide, will likely finish with the league's best record. The Pistons, who already have home-court advantage throughout the conference playoffs, improved to 35-3 at The Palace.

Both teams appeared lethargic for most of the game, and while Detroit wasn't playing for much on this particular afternoon, the Pacers were.

Indiana has lost seven of eight to fall a season-worst four games under .500 and is in danger of not making the playoffs after starting the season as a title contender. The Pacers are seventh in the Eastern Conference -- only one game ahead of Chicago and Philadelphia.

"The last two or three weeks have pretty much been the same thing. We just will not play defense," O'Neal said. "At this point, we don't even deserve to be in the playoffs."

The Pacers started strong and didn't trail until late in the first quarter. But after Detroit went ahead 13 seconds into the second quarter, it maintained the lead for the rest of the game.

The Pistons led 45-35 at halftime and had 20-plus point leads in the third quarter, allowing them to coast the victory.

"They looked a little tired in the second half," said Prince, diplomatically.

Detroit's Lindsey Hunter (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=1281) (14), Tony Delk (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3086) (11) and Antonio McDyess (10) provided a scoring boost off the bench. Richard Hamilton scored 12 and Chauncey Billups (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3174) had 11 points. Ben Wallace (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3149) tied a season high with 22 rebounds.

The Pistons outrebounded the Pacers 52-35 and held them to 36 percent shooting.

"When we come out with that type of focus and energy, it's tough for teams to beat us," Wallace said. "When we play like that, we make it look easy."

Stephen Jackson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3210) led the Pacers with 15 points on 4-of-12 shooting, O'Neal had 12 and Peja Stojakovic (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3119) added 11.

"We are embarrassing ourselves each and every night," O'Neal said. "There are talkers and there are doers. All we are is a talking team.

"I don't know if we are tanking the season, or if we just don't want to go to the playoffs, but we're getting murdered every night on the defensive end."

The Pistons clearly made an effort to get Wallace involved offensively -- throwing him three alley-oop lobs in the first 5½ minutes -- after he told coach Flip Saunders he didn't want to re-enter the game in the fourth quarter of the previous game.

Wallace was reluctant to talk about the details what happened Friday at Orlando, other than saying he didn't regret what he did.

"I wouldn't have got this far if I was a quitter," he said.

Saunders said the two talked about what happened after the Magic game and downplayed it while talking to reporters before and after Sunday's game.

"You can't overlook everything he's done for this organization and for me as a head coach," he said.
Game notes
Indiana's Jamaal Tinsley (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3528) (right ankle) and David Harrison (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3846) (left knee) didn't play. ... Detroit won the season series 3-1. ... The Pistons, who were coming off a loss, have dropped consecutive games only once this season. ... The Pacers have played a team-record 31 lineups this season while Detroit had the same lineup for an NBA-record 73 games until the streak was snapped by Rasheed Wallace (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3006)'s one-game suspension last Tuesday. ... Kelvin Cato (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3185) scored two points in his Pistons debut.

OnlyPacersLeft
04-09-2006, 05:51 PM
yeah exactly we don't play D....why not? we need to do something damnit! someone besides Granger and AJ PLEASE come to play!

Kstat
04-09-2006, 05:54 PM
"We are embarrassing ourselves each and every night," O'Neal said. "There are talkers and there are doers. All we are is a talking team.

...this from Mr. "I want the 8th seed so we can play Detroit!".....just look at what they did to Detroit without me!

JO and the kool-aid man are the two biggest culprits. I hope he was thinking about that when he said this.

317Kim
04-09-2006, 05:55 PM
He sounds disgusted..much like most of us are.

If they know they aren't playing defense then why aren't they fixing it? Why don't they stop being a team that talks and a team that does?

I've heard many times before that establishing solid defense will help the offense.

Kstat
04-09-2006, 05:58 PM
To JO's credit he WAS the one Pacer out there playing any defense.

Problem is he can't block shots on every single Piston that gets into the lane. That isn't his fault.

Big Smooth
04-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Wow, Jermaine read my mind! I was thinking those very same thoughts.

But to me, Jermaine seems like more of a "talker" than "doer" over the course of his career here. If he is truly our team leader, then evidently the other guys listen to him about as much as they listen to Carlisle at this point.

There is nothing any of these guys can say that is going to make one bit of difference. Either they play the right way on the court or they don't. And if they keep this garbage basketball up, I'll just lose that much more respect for them. Can't waste my time cheering for a team that has quit on the season. Honestly I'd rather be watching a 26-50 team that was playing it's guts out every night and improving than watch this mess anymore.

*shrugs*

Wait til next year! As a Cubs fan, I know those words quite well! ;)

Seed
04-09-2006, 06:09 PM

Problem is he can't block shots on every single Piston that gets into the lane. That isn't his fault.

T.Delk took more rebounds than JO tonight. Time to stop talking.

Unclebuck
04-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Pacers don't deserve to be in the playoffs. But the Sixers and Bulls don't either, not sure the Bucks do either.

Remember how bad the Celtics were two seasons ago when the Pacers swept them in 4 straight. Same thing

Big Smooth
04-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Pacers don't deserve to be in the playoffs. But the Sixers and Bulls don't either, not sure the Bucks do either.

Remember how bad the Celtics were two seasons ago when the Pacers swept them in 4 straight. Same thing

There were some Bulls fans I know on another board who have been rooting for the Bulls to lose and not make the playoffs so they can have 2 lottery picks this season! LOL!

Of course, after the Chandler/Curry thing you think they'd be a bit less enthralled with drafting high.

Steveman
04-09-2006, 06:25 PM

Yeah, eight seeds are too many ... maybe they should go back to the six seed format.

sweabs
04-09-2006, 06:29 PM
NY Times - The Pacers are inclined to re-sign Peja Stojakovic and would listen to trade offers for Jermaine O'Neal.

"Obviously, we have to make moves and, in talking to the organization, we will make moves," O'Neal said.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/39902/20060409/oneal_preparing_for_a_summer_of_change_in_indiana/

OnlyPacersLeft
04-09-2006, 08:45 PM
trade JO? yep we're rebuilding. Just when I bought that JO authentic! DAMNIT MAN~!

rexnom
04-09-2006, 08:51 PM
trade JO? yep we're rebuilding. Just when I bought that JO authentic! DAMNIT MAN~!

I'm telling you, the only safe jersey is the Granger 33 one....

Moses
04-09-2006, 08:56 PM
JO was playing awesome defense in the first quarter and throughout the game.

He can't do anything when Tayshaun goes into the lane and he comes to help and he passes to McDyess for an easy dunk...Needless to say, I've pretty much given up on any post-season aspirations I had for this team. If we make the playoffs, I'll watch the games and cheer if we win..But I doubt we will win a series unless JO or somebody drops a bomb on this team and whips everyone into shape. Someone needs to step up and tell everyone to get up off of their asses and play.

waterjater
04-09-2006, 09:10 PM
He's right! Plain and simple. We don't deserve it and if we make it we deserve to get embarrassed by the freaking pistons. Just keeps on sucking doesn't it.............................

Water

waterjater
04-09-2006, 09:12 PM
As for the rest of the season, I'd start (assuming Harrison can come back) anyone but O'neal, Tinsley, Jackson and a few others.

Play the guys that need experience. Play Saras to see if he can ever figure out how to guard anyone??!!

This seasons over, time to work on our younger players to see what we got.

Water

OnlyPacersLeft
04-09-2006, 09:29 PM
I don't find it coincidence considering I bought a JO authentic home pinstripes and they changed jerseys 1 1/2 yrs later....I also bought a tmac magic home awhile ago and he gets traded...FRIGGIN NEED TO STOP BUYING AUTHENTICS!

Shade
04-09-2006, 09:32 PM
I don't find it coincidence considering I bought a JO authentic home pinstripes and they changed jerseys 1 1/2 yrs later....I also bought a tmac magic home awhile ago and he gets traded...FRIGGIN NEED TO STOP BUYING AUTHENTICS!

Tell me about it. The only non-Reggie jerseys I've owned are Jalen (traded), Ron (traded), and JO (traded?).

:suicide:

Lord Helmet
04-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Eh, I don't think we should trade JO.

Big mistake. Maybe get him in a different system where he isn't the leader, as Bball suggests.

pizza guy
04-09-2006, 09:38 PM
He's right, this team doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs. I didn't watch today's game, but I checked ESPN for the final score. When it rolled across, I just laughed. I said, "I figured they'd lose, but 25? That's just funny!" The only reason they might be in the playoffs is because the rest of the East is pathetic. Detriot will once again rep the East in the Finals, even though Shaq and DWade will put up a fight. No one else in the East matters. But, back on track...

We have got to do something this offseason, and by 'something' I mean 'a lot.' JO does what he can on defense, but he can't guard the perimeter AND the post. I've been one of Sarunas' fans since before the season started, but his defense is nothing but a decent impression of a matador, and the same goes for Tins. AJ is better, but I could still take him off the dribble.

This offseason, I think Granger is the safest, and IMO, Harrison should be kept. Frankly, if everyone were to leave, I'm not sure I would have any problems.

Kegboy
04-09-2006, 09:42 PM

Famous last words...

:shudder:

PacerMan
04-09-2006, 10:08 PM
...this from Mr. "I want the 8th seed so we can play Detroit!".....just look at what they did to Detroit without me!

JO and the kool-aid man are the two biggest culprits. I hope he was thinking about that when he said this.

Bull ****..

PacerMan
04-09-2006, 10:10 PM

Oh, you DID notice that!? So why did you just say what you said two posts up?

Kstat
04-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Because JO's still very guilty of doing what he said-talking without really backing it up.

Even when he opened the game up with those blocks, he got mauled in the hustle department by both Ben Wallace and McDyess.

Heck, he got out-hustled by Tony delk.

It's like when he saw everybody else was giving up, he gave up too.

I suppose that goes towards him not being a very good leader rather than his quote being hypocritical, but all the same JO and the kool-aid man do the vast majority of the talking on this team, and JO does a lot of it when he isn't even on the floor.

Hopefully I mis-interpeted him and JO really is talking about himself. I dunno.

Big Smooth
04-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Oh, you DID notice that!? So why did you just say what you said two posts up?

He only spoke the truth. Unless getting a couple blocks on help defense while failing to block out and settling for fading jumpers floats your boat.

BlueNGold
04-09-2006, 10:15 PM

That would be the safest jersey.

I think Foster is the only other player I would be surprised to see traded. I cannot imagine Tinsley in a Pacer uniform next year.

Big Smooth
04-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Because JO's still very guilty of doing what he said-talking without really backing it up.

Even when he opened the game up with those blocks, he got mauled in the hustle department by both Wallace and McDyess.

Heck, he got out-hustled by Tony delk.

It's like when he saw everybody else was giving up, he gave up too.

The truth hurts and precious few are truly willing to absorb the pain.

larry
04-10-2006, 01:14 AM
uncle buck, i think the bucks deserve the shot. i have league pass & they are fun 2 watch. the crowd is good. im scared they'll be the new us for years 2 come. not to mention another younger & better team... a hint they have lebron.

Los Angeles
04-10-2006, 02:25 AM

:unimpress

He never said 8th seed. He said he wanted to face detroit in the playoffs. Didn't say what round.

Kstat
04-10-2006, 04:37 AM
:unimpress

He never said 8th seed. He said he wanted to face detroit in the playoffs. Didn't say what round.

No, he said 8th seed. They re-quoted him on TNT a week or so later.

Jermaine said definitively that he wanted to get the 8th seed and play the Pistons in round one.

naptownmenace
04-10-2006, 09:09 AM
This offseason, I think Granger is the safest, and IMO, Harrison should be kept. Frankly, if everyone were to leave, I'm not sure I would have any problems.

Ditto. I haven't cared this little about a Pacers team in almost 20 years. :sad:

I'm on the verge of hating Tinsley. During his second season I compared him to Brevin Knight - a guy that came into the league with a bullet but overall would prove to be no better than a career backup PG. I'm googling crow recipes for all those that said I was crazy for not recognizing his greatness. I haven't been this disappointed in a Pacers PG since the ill-fated Pooh Richardson experience. :shudder:

The Pacers should seriously consider any and all trade offers they get for JO (and he is still my favorite player). If they can get a certified All-Star like Paul Pierce or KG in a package deal, now is the time to go for it. If not, then they might as well keep him and rebuild the backcourt.

Either way, I don't know why Peja would resign with Indy unless they offer him crazy money (which it wouldn't surprise me if they did).

The most amazing thing is that this season has been worse than last year - even with the suspensions and NBDL players. Simply amazing!

Putnam
04-10-2006, 09:18 AM
I don't know why Peja would resign with Indy unless they offer him crazy money (which it wouldn't surprise me if they did).

How about if Bird and Walsh promised him that a serious revamping is going to happen, with a coach and a system that favors Peja's type of play?

Peja certainly won't want to play another season with this bunch of guys under this coach. Nobody will. But that ain't gonna happen anyway.

Bird and Walsh have to decide which few pieces they're going to keep and build around. Chances are it will be Granger rather than Peja. But Euro-ball is a possibility.

Slick Pinkham
04-10-2006, 09:31 AM
I'm on the verge of hating Tinsley. During his second season I compared him to Brevin Knight - a guy that came into the league with a bullet but overall would prove to be no better than a career backup PG

Brevin Knight >> JT, at least the way JT has played lately.

Brevin is second only to Chauncey Billups in assist-to-turnover ratio, and he can actually guard PGs that are quick.

He would be a decent offseason FA acquistion if affordable. He would be best suited as a backup on a good team, so if he's looking for starters' dollars then no way. He also is not the most durable guy there is.

Jose Slaughter
04-10-2006, 10:36 AM

Jermaine said definitively that he wanted to get the 8th seed and play the Pistons in round one.

Because he wants the season to end as quickly as we do.

Tim
04-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Famous last words...

:shudder:

If Donnie moves Granger this summer I will consider quitting the team until Donnie is gone, and sacrificing Granger for Peja is not acceptable.

Los Angeles
04-10-2006, 12:16 PM

I need proof.

Jermaniac
04-10-2006, 12:49 PM
KStat is right, LA

Los Angeles
04-10-2006, 03:11 PM
All I remember is JO being asked who he was looking forward to facing in the playoffs and he said "I want to play the Pistons."

So you have any links? Any direct quote from JO that says "I want the 8th seed." This was way, way, way before the Pistons locked up the first seed (I know it seems silly to say now, but back then there were no guarantees).

Until I see the quote, as far as I'm concerned you guys are adding 2 plus 2 and getting 8.

Los Angeles
04-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Oh, nad TNT NEVER quotes anyone out of context.

They also NEVER report rumors as fact.

They also NEVER report repeat someone else's story second hand and act like they know all about it.

(Just in case this is needed: :rolleyes: )

Kstat
04-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Oh, nad TNT NEVER quotes anyone out of context.

They also NEVER report rumors as fact.

They also NEVER report repeat someone else's story second hand and act like they know all about it.

(Just in case this is needed: :rolleyes: )

Dude, you're in denial. A lot of people heard this.

TNT didnt "report" this, JO was RE-QUOTED. He said it a second time, in more specific detail.

ANybody that saw the broadcast heard this, I could really care less if you demand that you want proof or not. It's not that important to me that you believe it.

I'm a bit amused that you're going this far to deny this. I figured everybody knew exactly what he said by now. It wasn't even a big deal when Jo said it the 2nd time, because we pretty much already knew what he meant originally.

Shade
04-10-2006, 03:28 PM

TNT didnt "report" this, JO was RE-QUOTED. He said it a second time, in more specific detail.

ANybody that saw the broadcast heard this, I could really care less if you demand that you want proof or not. It's not that important to me that you believe it.

I didn't see the broadcast. Kind of disturbing he said that, actually.

Kstat
04-10-2006, 03:31 PM
I didn't see the broadcast. Kind of disturbing he said that, actually.

Let me try to find the thread that the 2nd quote was mentioned. I believe the Pacers were on TNT that night.

sweabs
04-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Let me try to find the thread that the 2nd quote was mentioned. I believe the Pacers were on TNT that night.

It might be difficult.

Searching "Jermaine O'Neal AND big mouth" could cause a system overload.

Kstat
04-10-2006, 03:38 PM
It might be difficult.

Searching "Jermaine O'Neal AND big mouth" could cause a system overload.

:laugh:

Los Angeles
04-10-2006, 06:13 PM

I'm a bit amused that you're going this far to deny this. I figured everybody knew exactly what he said by now. It wasn't even a big deal when Jo said it the 2nd time, because we pretty much already knew what he meant originally.
Well, I didn't see any posts or reports about a second interview, so that was news to me. Further, the first report didn't have JO saying anything about seeds.

If you go back and read the original "JO wants eighth seed" thread you'll find this at post #2:

I refuse to believe JO actually said he wanted to be the 8th seed....

Kstat
04-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Well, I didn't see any posts or reports about a second interview, so that was news to me. Further, the first report didn't have JO saying anything about seeds.

If you go back and read the original "JO wants eighth seed" thread you'll find this at post #2:

Yeah. I remember saying that. That was my stance after JO's INITIAL interview at the all-star game.

As you can see, he clarified his position for me.

Thank you for proving my point.

Los Angeles
04-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Listen, this is a "tree falling in the woods" issue.

I can't find any reference to JO's "clarification". I'm not saying there wasn't one, I'm just saying that I'm not convinced about the content of the second interview. Right now I'll have to take your word that TNT's word is gospel.

I trust you more than I trust TNT. This is a small game of telephone and TNT of all places is the source. Unfortunately, everything after TNT in that chain carries that credibility problem.

I don't know what all this means, and now I understand things better. you'll just have to leave me in the "interested but not yet convinced" category.

GO!!!!!
04-10-2006, 06:38 PM
The players may not deseve it, but the fans do and thats where i'm broken, after what the fans have been put threw to hear these comments is just devastating

Jermaniac
04-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Are you serious? What do you want Jermaine to say?

"Everything is fine with the Pacers, we are going to make the playoffs because the east sucks, and I'm totaly fine with the way we are playing"