PDA

View Full Version : OT: The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust

Kegboy
04-07-2006, 07:06 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060407/SPORTS0403/604070488/1004/SPORTS

Final Four stars aren't NBA locks
Noah should take note of ex-UCLA standout O'Bannon
<!-- *** MIDDLE ADS ******************************************** --><!-- TEXT & SIDEBAR -->
By Mark Montieth
<script language="JavaScript"> <!-- document.write( ''+'mark.montieth'+'@'+'indystar.com'+' (http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/+)'); //--> </script>mark.montieth@indystar.com

Joakim Noah says he'll think about it in a couple of weeks.
<!-- ARTICLE SIDEBAR -->
If he has studied the appropriate history lessons, he'll think very hard.
The 6-11 sophomore was voted the Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four after leading Florida to the NCAA championship Monday. Before the last piece of confetti had fallen from the RCA Dome roof, pundits on deadline were declaring him ready for the NBA.

"Any team that has the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft and doesn't take Noah, should he make himself available in the coming weeks, would be unbelievably dumb," Michael Wilbon of The Washington Post wrote.

Noah hasn't given so much as a head-fake in either direction. Publicly, at least. Asked after Monday's game if he might leave Florida for the NBA, he asked for a deferment.

"Right now, let us enjoy this," he said. " . . . Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll think about it."

Oh, he'll think about it all right. The deadline for declaring for the draft is April 28. Prospects can withdraw by June 18 and return to college without penalty if they do not hire an agent. Rest assured, agents, journalists, teammates and classmates will be grabbing Noah by his ponytail to ask him about his intention.

Logic would indicate he should go. Who could be hotter than the Most Outstanding Player on the championship team? NBA careers aren't always logical, however. Noah would only need to scan the list of previous Final Four MOPs to realize he's not guaranteed status in the NBA. Status in the draft, perhaps, but not in the league.

Noah has obvious attributes. He's rangy, quick, fast, aggressive and fluid. His performance in Florida's championship game victory over UCLA spoke to all of those assets with 16 points, nine rebounds and a record six blocked shots. He appears to have positive intangibles as well.

"Think of him as a 7-foot Andrei Kirilenko," suggests ESPN draft analyst Chad Ford, referring to the 6-9 Utah Jazz star.

Noah isn't all exclamation points, however. He spreads just 227 pounds over his 83 inches. In other words, he's built almost exactly like former Pacer Jonathan Bender. At that size, a player has to have a strong perimeter game, and Noah does not. His shooting form is ungainly, and his post moves are not yet polished.

As of now he's all energy, athleticism and potential. He might indeed turn out to be a star in the NBA, but he also might turn out to be, oh, Ed O'Bannon.

O'Bannon was an even more obvious MOP than Noah after leading UCLA to the 1995 championship. O'Bannon scored 30 points and grabbed 17 rebounds in the title game victory over Arkansas, capping a career so impressive that when UCLA decided to retire jersey number 31 a few years ago, it retired O'Bannon's 31 rather than the 31 of Reggie Miller, who was the school's second all-time leading scorer when he graduated in 1987.
O'Bannon was the ninth pick in the NBA draft that year. He wound up playing two seasons for New Jersey and Dallas and averaged five points. He went on to play in five countries, then retired at age 30.

Today he's a happily adjusted salesman for a Toyota dealership in Las Vegas.

"I guess I wasn't as good as I thought I was," he told The Los Angeles Times.

Some players aren't. Even the Most Outstanding Players.

Something for Noah to think about.

Outstanding, then forgotten
A look at how some recent Final Four Most Outstanding Players fared in the NBA.
<table border="0" frame="box" rules="all" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="related">Year</td> <td class="related">Player, school</td> <td class="related">NBA career</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="related">2000</td> <td class="related">Mateen Cleaves, Mich. State</td> <td class="related">Has averaged 3.6 points while playing for four teams.</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#dddddd"> <td class="related">1998</td> <td class="related">Jeff Sheppard, Kentucky</td> <td class="related">Played 18 games for Atlanta, averaged 2.2 points.</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="related">1997</td> <td class="related">Miles Simon, Arizona</td> <td class="related">Played five games for Orlando in 1998-99, scored two points.</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#dddddd"> <td class="related">1995</td> <td class="related">Ed O'Bannon, UCLA</td> <td class="related">Played 128 games for New Jersey and Dallas, shot 37 percent.</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="related">1993</td> <td class="related">Donald Williams, N. Carolina</td> <td class="related">Did not play.</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#dddddd"> <td class="related">1992</td> <td class="related">Bobby Hurley, Duke</td> <td class="related">Played 269 games over five seasons, averaged 3.8 points.</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="related">1990</td> <td class="related">Anderson Hunt, UNLV</td> <td class="related">Did not play.</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#dddddd"> <td class="related">1987</td> <td class="related">Keith Smart, Indiana</td> <td class="related">Played two games for San Antonio, scored two points.</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Call Star reporter :bunny: at (317) 444-6406.

CableKC
04-07-2006, 07:14 PM
"Think of him as a 7-foot Andrei Kirilenko," suggests ESPN draft analyst Chad Ford, referring to the 6-9 Utah Jazz star.
That has to be one of the stupidiest comparisons of a player to AK-47 that I have ever heard of.

CableKC
04-07-2006, 07:17 PM
I agree with him that Noah is overrated....but its interesting to note that he didn't include who was the 1999, 2001-2004 NCAA Most Outstanding Player in the Final 4.

Kegboy
04-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Okay, I'm not a big Noah fan or anything, but this article is :kravitz: stupid. The comparison to O'Bannon really pisses me off. How can you possibly compare a 7-footer with legit skills to a tweener like O'Bannon. And that very selective list at the end is priceless. O'Bannon I believe was selected 8th, right behind Shawn Respert. Cleaves was a late lottery pick. I believe Hurley was a first round pick, but I don't see how you can question his career after that car accident damn near killed him.

My point? Look at what Wilbon said. This guy has a legit chance to be the #1 pick. The others listed had obvious faults in their games that made them drop. Now, is Noah gonna come in and be a superstar? Probably not, in my estimation. But I'd say at worst he'll be another Joe Smith, not a Jeff Sheppard, for god's sake.

If Noah wants to stay in college to improve his game and enjoy campus life, then by all means he should. But with his body, skill set and work ethic, he absolutely has no reason to be afraid he'll be a bust.

jcouts
04-07-2006, 07:21 PM
While I'll fully admit that I only watched him play a few times this year, Noah reminded me more of a poor man's Tayshaun...very early career, very raw Tayshaun.

The only team Noah would be a good player on right now is Phoenix.

He should stay in school, or he'll face what Hakim Warrick is currently facing.

Will Galen
04-07-2006, 07:43 PM
I disagree with your thread title. "The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust."

Mark isn't implying Noah 'will' be a bust. He's implying Noah 'could' be a bust if he comes out now.

As evidence, these statements; As of now he's all energy, athleticism and potential. He might indeed turn out to be a star in the NBA, but he also might turn out to be, oh, Ed O'Bannon.

Noah isn't all exclamation points, however. He spreads just 227 pounds over his 83 inches. In other words, he's built almost exactly like former Pacer Jonathan Bender. At that size, a player has to have a strong perimeter game, and Noah does not. His shooting form is ungainly, and his post moves are not yet polished.

Kegboy
04-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Will, when he compares him to Jonathan Bender and puts up a chart of only MOP's that absolutely bombed in the NBA, I think the article is slanted. I don't think there's a lot of people running around saying that Noah will be a stud simply because he was MOP.

Anthem
04-07-2006, 07:57 PM
It doesn't matter. If you have a chance to go #1, you go.

Slick Pinkham
04-07-2006, 08:49 PM
It doesn't matter. If you have a chance to go #1, you go.

If you really like being in college, and your Dad is a millionaire ex-tennis star and reggae singer, and you have never needed any money anyway since you have all you can spend, you MIGHT just stay where you can have the most fun.

SycamoreKen
04-07-2006, 09:28 PM
He is staying, as is everyone else not a senior.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/5483236

Posted: 28 minutes ago

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Florida celebrated its first national basketball championship with a stunning announcement Friday night.

Everyone, aside from senior Adrian Moss, is coming back for another title run.
Joakim Noah, Al Horford and Corey Brewer - three sophomores who had been projected as first-round NBA draft picks this summer - disclosed in a choreographed skit that they will return for another season.

"We're back baby," Noah screamed into a microphone during the team's hourlong celebration at a packed O'Connell Center.

Coach Billy Donovan confirmed the news, saying he met with the three players Friday afternoon and they told him they wanted to try to repeat.

No team has won consecutive championships since Duke in 1991 and 1992.

The Gators want to give it a shot.

Horford started the production by saying the three had pretty much done everything they could in two years, winning two Southeastern Conference tournament titles and then beating UCLA 73-57 in the championship game Monday night.

But Noah grabbed the microphone in mid-sentence and asked the crowd, "You want us to play here next year?"

The fans responded with chants of "two more years, two more years."

The Gators didn't commit to anything more than one more season. But for Donovan and Florida's faithful, that was more than anyone was expecting.

"I had a chance to talk to those guys, and that's what they want to do," Donovan said. "I think they're having a lot of fun here. They're a different type of kids. I think it's all about them getting themselves prepared to make the next step, and I think right now they're not prepared to do that. They want to be here. They want to play.

"They want to stay together as a group and they want to play together as a team."

aceace
04-08-2006, 09:32 AM
If he goes to the NBA draft and gets picked say 3rd. He signs a contract for approx 4 million a year over 4 years. If that doesn't make him financially secure for the rest of his life then he's not very smart either. He should go while his stock is at its highest and he's injury free. If he is a bust, he's got 16 million reasons to smile about. He could go back to Florida finish his education and do something else. Its true he's not that strong but he has unbelievably quick hands and feet. He should thank his tennis playing Dad for the good genes. I said 3rd because the only 2 players that could be picked ahead of him are Reddick and Morrison.

rexnom
04-08-2006, 10:01 AM
If he goes to the NBA draft and gets picked say 3rd. He signs a contract for approx 4 million a year over 4 years. If that doesn't make him financially secure for the rest of his life then he's not very smart either. He should go while his stock is at its highest and he's injury free. If he is a bust, he's got 16 million reasons to smile about. He could go back to Florida finish his education and do something else. Its true he's not that strong but he has unbelievably quick hands and feet. He should thank his tennis playing Dad for the good genes. I said 3rd because the only 2 players that could be picked ahead of him are Reddick and Morrison.

I think Gay and Aldrige go one-two. I don't know about Morrison b/c he has some considerable flaws. Still a clear-cut lottery pick though. Probably a high lottery pick. Redick will fall. He is an undersized, non-athletic SG that thrived in a certain system and always choked in the tournament. I don't think GMs are too high on him. I just hope he has a Granger like fall to us.

grace
04-08-2006, 10:31 AM
As usual I just scanned the article. When I got to the part where he named Bobby Hurley and failed to mention that during his rookie season with the Kings the man damn near DIED in a car accident I have no use whatsoever in that article.

Shade
04-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Nobody was even talking about Noah until the Gators won the title. He's definitely not (yet?) NBA material. But his stock may never be higher than it is right now.

grace
04-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Nobody was even talking about Noah until the Gators won the title. He's definitely not (yet?) NBA material. But his stock may never be higher than it is right now.

They were too talking about him. His dad is famous and his mother was a model.

Of course most of you are too young to ever have heard of Yannik Noah, but I certainly remember him.

Shade
04-08-2006, 11:13 AM
They were too talking about him. His dad is famous and his mother was a model.

Of course most of you are too young to ever have heard of Yannik Noah, but I certainly remember him.

All I heard was "Redick! Morrison! Redick! Morrison!"

I never even heard of Noah until the Final Four.

grace
04-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Well, either he's the best kept secret or he's riding on his father's coat tails. We'll just have to wait to find out which it is.

Kegboy
04-08-2006, 12:33 PM

Really? I watched zero college basketball this year, and I heard of him before then.

Stryder
04-08-2006, 01:45 PM

Then obviously, you did not watch much college basketball up until the Final Four.

Noah's name has been around for the entire year...