PDA

View Full Version : Bruno QOD: Will Pacers Be Able To Re-Sign Peja?

Kegboy
04-07-2006, 06:59 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question.html

Will Pacers Be Able To Re-Sign Peja?

Friday, April 7, 2006 <hr>If you'd like to pose a Question of the Day to Conrad Brunner, submit it along with your full name and hometown to Bruno's_mailbag@pacers.com. Brunnerís opinions are his own and do not necessarily reflect those of Pacers players, coaches or management.

<table align="left" bgcolor="#ffcc00" border="2" bordercolor="#003366" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="90"><tbody><tr><td align="left"> http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/conrad_brunner.jpg QUESTION
OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner</td></tr></tbody></table>
Q. I'm confused about what Peja Stojakovic's plans are during the offseason. According to The Indianapolis Star this week, Stojakovic will "probably opt out of the final year of his contract and become a free agent this summer." Yet later in the story, Stojakovic said "he's interested in remaining with the Pacers." Is this a predictable strategy by Stojakovic and his agent to increase his market value in the NBA and to the Pacers? Does he really want to remain with Indiana? What gives? (From Patrick in Noblesville, Ind.)

A. That story has caused quite a bit of consternation among Pacers fans, who interpreted it to mean Stojakovic was somehow disenchanted with his situation here and was indicating a desire to sign elsewhere. In fact, it was simply the confirmation of what the Pacers assumed would happen before they made the trade, and what Stojakovic's agent said shortly after his client arrived in Indianapolis. It has been a foregone conclusion for a couple of years that Stojakovic would choose to exercise the option to void the final year of his contract to become a free agent this summer.

That doesn't mean he's unhappy here. In fact, all indications are that he has adapted quite well to the city and the team. He has thrived both on and off the court. In Sacramento, the Kings players are the biggest celebrities in town and have virtually no ability to conduct a private life. That's not the case in Indianapolis, where fans are much better about respecting a player's personal space when he's out in public trying to enjoy a meal, movie or mall. On the court, his game has come back to life. Though the coaching staff is still searching for the best ways to deploy all of its weapons, the potential for a potent, complementary offense is vast.

That leaves the business end of the deal, which can often mess up a good thing (see: Brad Miller). While nothing is certain, fans can take heart in knowing the Collective Bargaining Agreement stacks the rules in favor of teams that want to re-sign their own free agents. As such, the Pacers can not only give Stojakovic a higher salary, but a longer term, than any other team. And make no mistake, they will make every effort to keep him here.

Kegboy
04-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Now, for the real reason I posted this:

That's not the case in Indianapolis, where fans are much better about respecting a player's personal space when he's out in public trying to enjoy a meal, movie or mall.

Bruno must not read the board, otherwise he'd know about Pollard's bathroom incident. :shakehead

Anthem
04-07-2006, 08:00 PM
Bruno must not read the board, otherwise he'd know about Pollard's bathroom incident. :shakehead
Poor guy. Still, it's a good thing he's not Dale Davis.

VF21
04-08-2006, 07:14 PM
In Sacramento, the Kings players are the biggest celebrities in town and have virtually no ability to conduct a private life. That's not the case in Indianapolis, where fans are much better about respecting a player's personal space when he's out in public trying to enjoy a meal, movie or mall.

Bull-bleep.

Yes, the Kings are the biggest celebrities in Sacramento but that doesn't mean we don't respect their right to a little privacy. I generally wouldn't respond to this post, but it irritates the crap out of me when some bozo like this who knows NOTHING about Sacramento makes an idiotic comment like that.

Brunner’s opinions are his own and do not necessarily reflect those of Pacers players, coaches or management.

And, apparently his opinions also do not necessarily reflect any kind of intelligence on his part.

sweabs
04-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Just as Bruno can't adequately speak for all of Sacramento on an issue like that, neither can you (no offense) :). Who is to say what goes on? I'm sure Bruno has heard some stuff (that can't be applied to all of Sacramento), and yet I'm sure stuff has happened that you don't even know about.

I can't make a claim about Toronto citizens respecting the Maple Leafs without harassing them, because I'm sure there are some incidents that have occurred that no one knows about except those involved. It happens everywhere I'm sure...the consistency and frequency at which those stories leak out to the public is sadly what makes/breaks the story, and he is probably basing that statement on a comparison to the number of stories he has heard from other NBA towns. Just my guess.

Kstat
04-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Bird will hand his favorite player a blank check. I don't think there's any doubt about that.

Los Angeles
04-08-2006, 07:42 PM
VF is right.

Of all the cities to single out, Sacto doesn't seem to be the right choice.

Kegboy
04-08-2006, 08:01 PM
:drama:

I believe Bruno is basing his comments on stuff Scot has said publicly as well as probably privately since he's been here. Now, of course, that was well before Peck came into Scot's life. :shudder:

VF21
04-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Just as Bruno can't adequately speak for all of Sacramento on an issue like that, neither can you (no offense) :). Who is to say what goes on? I'm sure Bruno has heard some stuff (that can't be applied to all of Sacramento), and yet I'm sure stuff has happened that you don't even know about.

I can't make a claim about Toronto citizens respecting the Maple Leafs without harassing them, because I'm sure there are some incidents that have occurred that no one knows about except those involved. It happens everywhere I'm sure...the consistency and frequency at which those stories leak out to the public is sadly what makes/breaks the story, and he is probably basing that statement on a comparison to the number of stories he has heard from other NBA towns. Just my guess.

Well, I've lived in Sacramento/Northern California my entire life. I think that gives me a little more right to speak about the area and the people than some hack writer. He took a cheap shot. If people outside our area want to believe the tales, that's up to them. I've told you they're not true ... take it for whatever it's worth.

Yes, there are always going to be incidents for player in the public eye but I strongly object to his blanket comments.

sweabs
04-08-2006, 08:47 PM
I've told you they're not true ... take it for whatever it's worth.

I understand that, but I mean how could you honestly know everything that goes on? I'm not saying you're incorrect, but I just think the best source for something like this would be out of the player's mouth...not Bruno, not anyone else. :)

VF21
04-09-2006, 02:16 AM
I understand that, but I mean how could you honestly know everything that goes on? I'm not saying you're incorrect, but I just think the best source for something like this would be out of the player's mouth...not Bruno, not anyone else. :)

What player? Bruno made the comments about Sacramento. They weren't shown as quotes from Peja.

I am not claiming by any stretch of the imagination to know everything that goes on. But I know a cheap shot when I see one.

We'll simply have to agree to disagree but at least I can find my way from the airport to Arco Arena, go to Old Sacramento for a good dinner, out to Citrus Heights to go shopping at Sunrise Mall, and then back out to the airport... and I could point out at least 5 spots along the way frequented by Kings players who seem to be able to go out, eat a meal, etc. if they choose to do so. I doubt if Bruno could do the same.

I won't continue the argument but I would really advise you to actually come to Sacramento before you buy into this guy's comments.

:)

Hicks
04-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Most likely he was told this by Pollard, if I had to guess. Remember that he and Scot have been able to talk for 3 years now.

VF21
04-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Then shame on Scot. This wouldn't be the first time Pollard has put his foot in his mouth regarding the Sacramento fans.

A short time after Jon Barry was traded, Vlade decided to play a practical joke on JB. He made a comment to one of the local media that if the fans would boo Jon the first time he stepped on the court, he (Vlade) would pay each of them $5.

Always the jokster, Vlade had no idea what would happen...

JB came to town, and - sure enough - he stepped on the court and the crowd booed. Vlade laughed and the Arco crowd, thinking they were still part of a joke, continued to boo Jon every time he stepped onto the court. He was eventually benched rather than be faced with more boos...

Scot Pollard, who wasn't aware of the joke, was sitting out because of back problems. He was, at the time of JB's entry into the game, doing some color commentary with Grant Napear and Jerry Reynolds. He - Scot - became very angry, said a lot of very hurtful things about the entire Kings fan base and, throwing his headset to the floor in disgust, stomped off before Grant and Jerry could explain the whole thing was due to Vlade's instigation.

The feelings between Sacramento fans and Pollard were always somewhat strained after that. He made some attempt at an apology but it in no way undid the awful things he said about us. Scot had always been a fan favorite but his comments took all but the most loyal Pollard fans aback and made them just a little resentful. It wasn't until quite a while later that he actually talked about it with Grant and Jerry during one of his trips here and made what most of us felt was a sincere attempt at an apology.

Now, if Pollard has told Bruno that Sacramento is essentially a town of hicks who can't let Kings players do anything in public without harassment, then shame on him big time.

Hey Scot? Remember us? We're the ones who embraced you and made you welcome. We're the ones who mourned your trade even though it made us clearly a much better team. We're the ones who respected you, cheered for you and supported you as much as any fan base ever could.

Thanks for the kind words in return...

:(

Big Smooth
04-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Then shame on Scot. This wouldn't be the first time Pollard has put his foot in his mouth regarding the Sacramento fans.

A short time after Jon Barry was traded, Vlade decided to play a practical joke on JB. He made a comment to one of the local media that if the fans would boo Jon the first time he stepped on the court, he (Vlade) would pay each of them $5.

Always the jokster, Vlade had no idea what would happen...

JB came to town, and - sure enough - he stepped on the court and the crowd booed. Vlade laughed and the Arco crowd, thinking they were still part of a joke, continued to boo Jon every time he stepped onto the court. He was eventually benched rather than be faced with more boos...

Scot Pollard, who wasn't aware of the joke, was sitting out because of back problems. He was, at the time of JB's entry into the game, doing some color commentary with Grant Napear and Jerry Reynolds. He - Scot - became very angry, said a lot of very hurtful things about the entire Kings fan base and, throwing his headset to the floor in disgust, stomped off before Grant and Jerry could explain the whole thing was due to Vlade's instigation.

The feelings between Sacramento fans and Pollard were always somewhat strained after that. He made some attempt at an apology but it in no way undid the awful things he said about us. Scot had always been a fan favorite but his comments took all but the most loyal Pollard fans aback and made them just a little resentful. It wasn't until quite a while later that he actually talked about it with Grant and Jerry during one of his trips here and made what most of us felt was a sincere attempt at an apology.

Now, if Pollard has told Bruno that Sacramento is essentially a town of hicks who can't let Kings players do anything in public without harassment, then shame on him big time.

Hey Scot? Remember us? We're the ones who embraced you and made you welcome. We're the ones who mourned your trade even though it made us clearly a much better team. We're the ones who respected you, cheered for you and supported you as much as any fan base ever could.

Thanks for the kind words in return...

:(

On the other hand, Pollard may have nothing to do with it and the writer is trying to spice up his article! ;)

I vaguely remember that whole thing with Jon Barry. But I could understand Pollard being pretty upset if he wasn't in on the joke, it's just unfortunate he happened to be live on a TV broadcast when it went down.

I don't believe in grudges much. I've had fist fights with my best friend, poop happens sometimes. ;)