PDA

View Full Version : Is Slick coaching more than usual?

Putnam
04-07-2006, 04:49 PM
This is my first thread, and I don't mean it to be taken too seriously.

It seems to me that Slick Leonard is coaching / criticizing the team more than usual during game broadcasts. I'm not just talking about the normal Slick color commentary that you'd expect while the team is dropping games it should win.

It seems to me that Slick is in a different mode altogether. He's taking shots and calling out instructions almost every possession:

"Get out there and pick up your man, David!"

"You need to go after those rebounds, Jermaine!"

Once recently, Mark sighed late in a game and said, "I just don't understand what is happening with this team."

Slick responded, "I do!"

So I just ask whether other radio listeners have noticed the extra edge in Slick's comments. If yes, what does it mean (other than that Slick doesn't like the way the team is playing).

Shade
04-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Sometimes I wonder if Slick would be interested in returning to the bench. It would be interesting, that's for sure.

Hicks
04-07-2006, 04:58 PM
I don't think he could physically take it. If that weren't an issue, I'd love it.

Anthem
04-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Who would want to coach this team?

ssmall
04-07-2006, 05:10 PM
A lot of people, im sure of that. No idea how many are capable of doing it properly though.

Shade
04-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Who would want to coach this team?

Isiah Thomas? :brick:

Anthem
04-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Isiah Thomas? :brick:
Well, Zeke wasn't a good coach. But he also had a really screwed up team to work with. He didn't get the team he signed up for... they all retired.

Harddrive7
04-07-2006, 07:47 PM
He didn't get the team he signed up for... they all retired.

Neither did Rick

Kegboy
04-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Slick "coaches" more when the team is bad, which makes sense.

Ara
04-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Well, Zeke wasn't a good coach. But he also had a really screwed up team to work with. He didn't get the team he signed up for... they all retired.

I don't think he was extremely horrible, he did lead the Pacers to the playoffs (at least) during its rebuilding years.

Kaufman
04-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Man... I think he was outrageously horrible. But that's my opinion, I'm sure you see it a different way and that's ok.

I don't think Slick is too old, remember Hubie Brown did it for a couple years, and yes I know he retired quickly but it'd be awesome to see Slick-o do it for a few (1-2) years. Mark would have to find a new partner... Maybe Mark Patrick or someone like that.

Putnam
04-08-2006, 08:10 AM
At various points late in the Knicks game, Slick shouted out, "Take Runi out of there!" and "Don't wait too long, Rick!"

Seems to me he wouldn't be saying those things on the radio if he thought Carlisle was doing a good job.

owl
04-08-2006, 08:22 AM
Please, not Mark Patrick. I do not know if I could handle listening to anymore
cheesy music clips from the 60's and 70's.

owl

Kaufman
04-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Open Letter to Mark Boyle,

Dear Mark, if Slick were to leave you for 2 years to fill in as the coach of the P's, who would be your first choice to replace him as your color commentator other than Mark Patrick?

Sincerely,

Kaufman

PS - I know you can't answer this question because then you would be admitting you think it was time for a coaching change, but humor us and just tell us in a totally hypothetical situation.

Kegboy
04-08-2006, 12:32 PM
I vote for Smooth.

ChicagoJ
04-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Mark's said many times over the years that radio should be a one-person job but he really enjoys working with Slick anyway.

My choices would be:

Mark and Slick

Mark, solo

and a very distant third - Mark with any other commentator.

Then again, I actually do remember Mark's pre-Slick Leonard broadcasts and the were also excellent.

PacerMan
04-08-2006, 12:52 PM
I don't think he was extremely horrible, he did lead the Pacers to the playoffs (at least) during its rebuilding years.

Man, he was EXTREMELY horrible IMO. Worst coach I've ever seen first hand.

grace
04-08-2006, 04:21 PM
I might be remembering it wrong, but I think I heard Mark say or imply that when Slick retires he's leaving too. Doesn't mean he won't change his mind.