PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone listening to Rick's show right now?

Indyfan
04-06-2006, 07:30 PM
They are addressing some very interesting things that may answer some of our questions and debates.

CableKC
04-06-2006, 07:30 PM
damn...forgot about it.

I will listen to what's left.

CableKC
04-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Breaking news in Rick's show.......some building in Lawrence (sp?) Indy just got quarantined cuz somebody got violently sick cuz she played some CD that she found. Turns out that its a false alarm...but they are still trying to figure out what caused her to get sick.

Indyfan
04-06-2006, 07:36 PM
I'm not good at recapping things, maybe MagicRat will post this later. Rick is actually speaking to many of the criticisms which have been talked about on here.

CableKC
04-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Completely OT question of the night.........some friend of Carlisle named "speedway" calls Carlisle and asks him about his dogs. Then Carlisle goes off on some Canadian Golfer......talk about being OT.

Indyfan
04-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Rick thinks Peja will resign with us.

Indyfan
04-06-2006, 07:46 PM
If we can win 4-5 more games we'll probably make the playoffs, if we win 7/8 then we'll prob. get the sixth spot. Need to win a road game, so tomorrow is really important to us.

Indyfan
04-06-2006, 07:48 PM
End of games and lack of time outs...

You have to be able to get to the end of the game with a chance to win, so sometimes we have to use them to even get a chance a win. When the other team gets going you have to stop the action, and regroup. Got this philosphy from Chuck Daily.

CableKC
04-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Ohh...tough question......"what do you think of Bob Kravitz comments about the team tuning you out?"

sweabs
04-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Then Carlisle goes off on some Canadian Golfer......

Remember the name? :D

Indyfan
04-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Remember the name? :D

Moe Norman.

Will Galen
04-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Someone want to recap please?

Unclebuck
04-06-2006, 08:04 PM
A few interesting questions and points of dicussion. Someone actually asked Rick if he thinks he's a good coach. Rick also had a pretty compelling answer as to him calling the plays vs not calling the plays and why AJ calls more of his own plays

Indyfan
04-06-2006, 08:08 PM
about tempo " No point to play fast to look good losing"

ghost
04-06-2006, 08:11 PM

Yeah, better look ugly while losing.

Shade
04-06-2006, 08:12 PM

No point to play slow to look bad losing, either.

Shade
04-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Ohh...tough question......"what do you think of Bob Kravitz comments about the team tuning you out?"

How did he answer this one?

SoupIsGood
04-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Breaking news in Rick's show.......some building in Lawrence (sp?) Indy just got quarantined cuz somebody got violently sick cuz she played some CD that she found. Turns out that its a false alarm...but they are still trying to figure out what caused her to get sick.

lol what in the world

Threshold, not just cancelled tv show, but realife Indy??? :p

MagicRat
04-06-2006, 08:36 PM
http://prometheus.able-towers.com/~magicrat/carlisle040606.mp3

Unclebuck
04-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Just listen to the show. Everyone hears things differently

ghost
04-06-2006, 09:18 PM

Thanks!

317Kim
04-06-2006, 10:03 PM

Thanks again! :)

Jon Theodore
04-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Carlisle admitted he shouldn't of thrown TIns back in the starting lineup so fast.

brichard
04-06-2006, 10:50 PM
First of all, thanks to MR for recording this. I live right here in Indy, so I have no excuse for not listening to his show, but this makes things much more convenient. I've seen Rick after games but I've never listened to his show.

My initial observations are that Rick is a skilled interview. He seemed honest and also very intelligent. He didn't get emotional or defensive at what were definitely some tough questions. He gave some pretty good insight about why he coached the way he coached.

On the topic of style of play, he simply said he tried to adapt it to his personnel. When he was the offensive coordinator of the Pacers during the championship years, we oft scored in the 100's. He isn't necessarily in favor of a slow grind it out game unless he feels it is the best style for the team to win. He played in Boston with some pretty well oiled offensive machines, so I think he did a good job of showing times in his life where he has participated in those systems and been successful.

He didn't pick out any teams he wouls rather face, but he gave kudos to Detroit as being the team you want to avoid. We want to make the playoffs first and foremost, but I don't think he is anxious to face Detroit in the first round. He basically said that this team is still struggling to get cohsesiveness after getting 2 major cogs like Tins and JO back. Not only are they getting plugged into the system, they are also working on their timing etc. The combination of all of those variables makes things a bit tough.

It is a good listen if you have the time, but that is what I got out of it.

I really find myself scratching my head though. Why does Rick think our best chance of winning is the slow ball? The only think I can come up with is that he just doesn't see us being successful in the playoffs without it. I strongly disagree with Rick on this point. Please, please let him start running what the Pacers did in our glory days b/c it was much more fun to watch and produced some great wins.

Evan_The_Dude
04-07-2006, 01:14 AM
I really find myself scratching my head though. Why does Rick think our best chance of winning is the slow ball? The only think I can come up with is that he just doesn't see us being successful in the playoffs without it. I strongly disagree with Rick on this point. Please, please let him start running what the Pacers did in our glory days b/c it was much more fun to watch and produced some great wins.

Probably because this team doesn't show the ability to take care of the ball on a nightly basis. At least the slow ball now isn't as painful to watch as it was earlier in the season. It's improved slightly, but it still sucks.

GO!!!!!
04-07-2006, 01:57 AM
Thanks M-R, hope the kiddo's diden't miss to much swimming tonight...

Unclebuck
04-07-2006, 08:20 AM

I didn't hear Rick say that, and I listened to the whole show. Or are you referring to the style of play you see on the floor.

I'll be honest I don't give a hoot if the Pacers run the ball or not, certainly it is easier to score on a fastbreak than it is in a 5 on 5 situation. But I all know is to win in the playoffs you have to execute in the halfcourt offense and shut teams down in the halfcourt defense and you must be able to defensive rebound. But you don't have to be able to run to win in the playoffs.

So take that for whatever it's worth

brichard
04-07-2006, 09:01 AM
I didn't hear Rick say that, and I listened to the whole show. Or are you referring to the style of play you see on the floor.

I'll be honest I don't give a hoot if the Pacers run the ball or not, certainly it is easier to score on a fastbreak than it is in a 5 on 5 situation. But I all know is to win in the playoffs you have to execute in the halfcourt offense and shut teams down in the halfcourt defense and you must be able to defensive rebounding. But you don't have to be able to run to win in the playoffs.

So take that for whatever it's worth

I am reading between the lines by what he said. He said that there was a period of time they had to play fast b/c of the people they had available in the month of February... or something like that. He mentioned that David Harrison was our only real post scorer during that time period. Now you can read into that what you want, but as I connect the dots it means that with JO back we are going to slow it down to maximize our chance to score down low.

And for the record, I think slow ball works best in the playoffs. There have been lots of up and down team, ie the Mavs last year, who just don't make it without a post game. In the playoffs of any sport defense tends to reign supreme. He did say you need to be able to score at fast, slow, and medium speed.

I just don't see us playing fast or medium all that often when JO is back.

Indyfan
04-07-2006, 10:35 AM
I thought it was interesting to hear him talk about the offense in the Bird years when he was offensive coordinator and pretty much controlled the plays, those years we averaged over 100 ppg, yet we still had the ability to defend and play in the half court. Those were different players with different talents and the ability to do that. He said he doesn't prefere to play slow over fast, but that his job is to play to the strengths of the players he has in order to biuld a team that can win in the playoffs.

I'm not sure JO has the ability to play up tempo, I think he thinks he does and wants to but when it comes right down to it, it is not as effective. Rick's point was we shouldn't try to be a run team just to be more fun to watch if it means we are putting ourselves at a disadvantage to win games. He said that against Toronto the other night playing uptempo just plays to their strength and not to ours. He is trying to use game plans that give us our best chance to win.

The play has been horrible lately but since they have had JO back they have had almost no practice time, and this team needs practice. When we played so well in Feb and early March we had a lot of practice time and less back to backs. This schedule has contributed to the poor product we are seeing on the floor. Not an excuse just a fact.

Rick also goes out of his way to speak well of Tins. he said that Tins when healthy and playing well can do things neither of the other 2 can do. But let's be honest he has not played well this stretch for whatever reasons. Rick did not say anything to indicate some fued between them, of course that doesn't mean there isn't something going on but it also doesn't mean we should all jump to the conclusion that there is.

Shade
04-07-2006, 11:44 AM
If Rick thinks the personnel is the issue, then why not build a team with talents more similar to those of the 2000 team, so we can get back into an up-tempo offense?

That team was actually very good defensively as well, despite having many players that are individually poor one-on-one defenders. Rebounding was the main issue that team had.

Shade
04-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Rick also goes out of his way to speak well of Tins. he said that Tins when healthy and playing well can do things neither of the other 2 can do. But let's be honest he has not played well this stretch for whatever reasons. Rick did not say anything to indicate some fued between them, of course that doesn't mean there isn't something going on but it also doesn't mean we should all jump to the conclusion that there is.

I think it's pretty obvious that Tins did not have really an achilles injury last game, so obviously something is going on.

MagicRat
04-07-2006, 11:54 AM
I think it's pretty obvious that Tins did not have really an achilles injury last game, so obviously something is going on.

I guess I'm the only one who remembers this picture Heywoode posted from the Suns game or him hobbling/grabbing it occasionally during the Bucks and Bulls games........:whoknows:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/heywoode/033006%20Suns/IMG_9610_resize.jpg

Since86
04-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Looks like he's just constipated to me......

MagicRat
04-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Looks like he's just constipated to me......

I doubt you'd be able to fly in for two, either, if you were that constipated.....:ill:

Gyron
04-07-2006, 12:38 PM
He better be careful if he's straining that much due to constipation....you can blow out a gasket!

Since86
04-07-2006, 12:54 PM
I doubt you'd be able to fly in for two, either, if you were that constipated.....:ill:

I don't know about that.

I've heard stories about upon release people have become quite airborne.

grace
04-08-2006, 04:14 PM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/heywoode/033006%20Suns/IMG_9610_resize.jpg

Since some of you think you can just look at a Pacer and know what he's thinking or feeling I thought I'd take a crack at it too. From left to right:

Jeff: looks like he's crying.

Stephen: telling the trainer he didn't do anything to make Jeff cry.

Guy behind Stephen: looking at trainer like whatever he's saying is making zero sense.

Jermaine: won't look at the trainer because he's afraid if he looks at him is groin will disintegrate.

Eddie: looking to where David Craig should be sitting. But David wouldn't be sitting there he'd be at Jamaal's side trying to fix whatever the hell is wrong with him.

Jamaal: "OH MY GOD! THE PAIN! THE PAIN!!" Tears begin to flow...

Cabbage: ...as Cabbage lets loose with another mega stinky fart.

Austin: smiling? SMILING! Well, I guess it's either that or cry.

Dan Burke: "Hey, Chuck, when we all get fired do you think I can get a job as a Power Pack Guy?"

Chuck: "You can try. Me, I'm shooting for hangin' out with Mel Daniels. Don't tell my wife, but I've got a serious crush on Stacy Austin."

Kegboy
04-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Since some of you think you can just look at a Pacer and know what he's thinking or feeling I thought I'd take a crack at it too. From left to right:

Jeff: looks like he's crying.

Stephen: telling the trainer he didn't do anything to make Jeff cry.

Guy behind Stephen: looking at trainer like whatever he's saying is making zero sense.

Jermaine: won't look at the trainer because he's afraid if he looks at him is groin will disintegrate.

Eddie: looking to where David Craig should be sitting. But David wouldn't be sitting there he'd be at Jamaal's side trying to fix whatever the hell is wrong with him.

Jamaal: "OH MY GOD! THE PAIN! THE PAIN!!" Tears begin to flow...

Cabbage: ...as Cabbage lets loose with another mega stinky fart.

Austin: smiling? SMILING! Well, I guess it's either that or cry.

Dan Burke: "Hey, Chuck, when we all get fired do you think I can get a job as a Power Pack Guy?"

Chuck: "You can try. Me, I'm shooting for hangin' out with Mel Daniels. Don't tell my wife, but I've got a serious crush on Stacy Austin."

Actually, I think Jamaal is in so much pain because the Gatorade kid is distracted by Hicks little brother talking to Stephen, and that's UB handing Jamaal a cup of Haterade, which we all know is Mel Mel kryptonite.

Also, Dan, Chuck, and Kevin are playing "who'd you rather" with the Pacemates, and Kevin is pointing at his choice. It's nice that we finally have evidence of our assistants doing something.

grace
04-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Also, Dan, Chuck, and Kevin are playing "who'd you rather" with the Pacemates, and Kevin is pointing at his choice. It's nice that we finally have evidence of our assistants doing something.

:lmao:

Hicks
04-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Guy behind Stephen looks like John Kerry's little brother.