PDA

View Full Version : Missing - Pacers' defense. Reward offered.

Shade
04-06-2006, 11:52 AM
This team has a lot of issues and a lot of reasons they're losing ballgames right now, but the most glaring example to me is the sudden lack of defense. And it's not like the defensive capabilities aren't there -- we all know damn well this team can be one of the best defensively in the league, with or without Artest. But it's becoming increasingly apparent that the team just isn't leaving it all out there on the floor anymore, and hasn't since the last three quarters of the Kings game.

Letting guards continuously drive in for uncontested layups, letting big guys get the ball easily in the low post for dunks or short jumpers, rotating slowly to allow tons of open perimeter jumpers...this is completely unacceptable. And since Carlisle is a defense-first coach, it makes you start to wonder...are the players trying to get Rick canned with their poor performance on the defensive end of the court?

McClintic Sphere
04-06-2006, 11:59 AM
I think I saw it over by the Dry Cleaner's on East 10th. It looked like it might have been the victim of a drive by. Kevin O'neill was trying unsuccessfully to revive it. What is the reward?

sweabs
04-06-2006, 12:09 PM
To be fair, teams like Toronto and Phoenix are some of the best offensive teams in the league.

I highly doubt that players are purposely relaxing on defence to get Rick fired. The fact is, outside of Danny Granger we don't have many guys who can guard on the perimeter that well, so it's tough to cut off the dribble penetration. I sometimes feel as though our bigs are slow to react to penetration as well - they aren't really collapsing on the ballhandler and I don't know if that has to do with communication or the system.

hoopsforlife
04-06-2006, 12:34 PM
The Kings defense has improved alot since we got Peja. I believe that has alot to do with our current defensive performance.

PaceBalls
04-06-2006, 01:01 PM
And it's not like the defensive capabilities aren't there -- we all know damn well this team can be one of the best defensively in the league, with or without Artest.

I disagree, without Ron this team is not one of the best defensively, maybe better offensively... But this team really misses Ron... the player Ron, not the sideshow Ron. You can't tell me you think opposing teams would be walking in the lane for layup after layup if Ron was playing...

Shade
04-06-2006, 02:54 PM
I disagree, without Ron this team is not one of the best defensively, maybe better offensively... But this team really misses Ron... the player Ron, not the sideshow Ron. You can't tell me you think opposing teams would be walking in the lane for layup after layup if Ron was playing...

We're not as good defensively without Ron, but we were still playing some pretty damn solid defense until...well...until JO and Tins came back, actually. :shrug:

pizza guy
04-06-2006, 08:44 PM
We desperately need a perimeter defender.