PDA

View Full Version : Poll} Who do you want running the point?

Will Galen
04-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Reading another thread it was mentioned we should have a poll of who we would like to see running the point for the Pacers. Nobody has started one so I'll start it.

This is for the rest of this year, so none of the above is not possible, even though that's the way you feel. Next year I would be totally shocked if we have more than two of the present point guards on the roster.

ChicagoJ
04-05-2006, 05:19 PM
A) should there be a "none of the above" vote?

B) As I said elsewhere, thank goodness this isn't a popularity contest. If it were, I think our (PD's) proven winner in basketball could set aside his championship ring and pick up more votes that EG or AJ, and probably as many as Tinsley. (Even though MagicRat is still going to beat him for "most humerous" again this year. :devil: )

Free btown.

Slick Pinkham
04-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Tinsley, to enhance his trade value if he miraculously manages to stay healthy for 10+ games

SoupIsGood
04-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Eddie is my none of the above vote.

Will Galen
04-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Guys! This isn't a poll for next year where a vote of 'none of the above' could apply. One of the above named guys will be at the point. Which of these four would you most like it to be?

Lord Helmet
04-05-2006, 05:41 PM
AJ with Tinsley backing him.

With Tinsley missing yet another game, I'm going to have to update this post.

I want AJ and Saras as the PG rotation, now.

317Kim
04-05-2006, 05:50 PM
I'd go with AJ too. When Fred comes back would he be an option?

[EDIT]I actually wouldn't mind Tins too much if he didn't throw up shots or try and shoot a 3 on a fastbreak.

Seed
04-05-2006, 05:55 PM
I'll go with Sarunas, just so Tinsley could keep his market value, because he is killing it with every game.

Kidding.. I hope he shines tonight against the Raps.

Jaydawg2270
04-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Tinsley with AJ and only aj as his back up

sweabs
04-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Tinsley with Sarunas backing him up and getting some meaningful and substantial minutes.

AJ at the 2 spot.

Los Angeles
04-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Sarunas.

Many people are screaming for a changed team, I don't see any change in giving Tins or Johnson the starting spot.

Change starts here. Change starts NOW.

So here's my new motto:

"Sarunas for starting PG - it's the only thing we haven't tried."

Lord Helmet
04-05-2006, 06:04 PM
I'd go with AJ too. When Fred comes back would he be an option?

[EDIT]I actually wouldn't mind Tins too much if he didn't throw up shots or try and shoot a 3 on a fastbreak.
Fred?

Nah.

317Kim
04-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Fred?

Nah.

:kickcan:

Darn, so much for combo-guard.

DeS
04-05-2006, 06:05 PM
I want Sarunas as a starter winning the NBA chempionship. It's just my little wish :)

Frank Slade
04-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Tinsley with Sarunas backing him up and getting some meaningful and substantial minutes.

AJ at the 2 spot.

DITTO

jcouts
04-05-2006, 06:42 PM
AJ.

Tinsley comes back, we lose 5 straight. Nothing more.

Hicks
04-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Sarunas for the sake of change.

BBALL56HACKER
04-05-2006, 06:48 PM
I would like to see SARUNAS. We have tried the other 2, now lets see what SARUNAS is made of!!! (the others didn`t win on a constant basis.) What do we have to lose-maybe in the lottery. It`s a win -win

ChicagoJ
04-05-2006, 06:49 PM
:kickcan:

Darn, so much for combo-guard.

Yeah, but that ended when we signed Saras.

AJ has a better chance of playing SG than Fred at PG.

Unless, of course, every other NBA team forgets that Fred goes to his right hand at least 98% of the time.

Kaufman
04-05-2006, 06:52 PM
Saras bc I think we need to see if he can do it or not.

317Kim
04-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Yeah, but that ended when we signed Saras.

AJ has a better chance of playing SG than Fred at PG.

Unless, of course, every other NBA team forgets that Fred goes to his right hand at least 98% of the time.

Yeah...that's true.

Some teams do forget that though, I remember one game where he repeatedly went to his right and converted each time. I say converted meaning the hoop or the FT. :)

SoupIsGood
04-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Rick at point?

CableKC
04-05-2006, 07:44 PM

AJ at the 2 spot.
I would live with that if Carlisle actually plays Sarunas at the point when he is on the floor with AJ as the backup SG.

Also...this requires that Tinsley actually play.

Shade
04-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Jalen Rose.

Evan_The_Dude
04-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Sarunas for the sake of change.

Ditto. I'm all for it.

317Kim
04-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Jalen Rose.

:grinno: Let's try Tully Bevilaqua. (sp?)

04-05-2006, 10:01 PM
RUNI !! WHY?

<-------- Thats why!

Arcadian
04-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Asking who you want to be pg for the rest of the season is like asking who do you want to be captian after the iceberg hit the Titanic.

Slick Pinkham
04-05-2006, 10:10 PM
Tinsley, to enhance his trade value if he miraculously manages to stay healthy for 10+ games

Tinsley out??

shocking, I tell you. SHOCKING!

Suaveness
04-05-2006, 10:14 PM
Ron Art...wait a minute...

Jermaniac
04-05-2006, 10:15 PM
AJ for the sake that we win when he starts

Shade
04-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Travis Best.

BlueNGold
04-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Saras.

Not Tinsley, merely because I honestly don't think he could make it through one round before coming up lame.

Not AJ, because he cannot run the offense and is over-rated defensively. Also, he has demonstrated he is not a clutch player by making poor decisions at the end of games. ...and amazingly, AJ runs the offense worse than Saras defends. ...and I think AJ would play better as a backup, but that's JMO.

Not Gill. No explanation is required.

Unclebuck
04-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Saras played well tonight and yes he can really make the pass. But defense is not his only weakness. He has a huge problem beating defensive pressure, whether full court, halfcourt and anywhere, and this curtails his ability to get the team into their offensive plays. (I consider this a bigger weakness than his defense)

Shade
04-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Saras played well tonight and yes he can really make the pass. But defense is not his only weakness. He has a huge problem beating defensive pressure, whether full court, halfcourt and anywhere, and this curtails his ability to get the team into their offensive plays. (I consider this a bigger weakness than his defense)

AJ used to have that weakness too. Maybe Runi can learn.

Fireball Kid
04-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Saras.

Jermaniac
04-05-2006, 10:44 PM
AJ used to have that weakness too. Maybe Runi can learn.Damn that would be a nice idea, he could learn how to play in the NBA on a playoff run and during the playoffs. Bound to win games with a PG like that.

Shade
04-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Damn that would be a nice idea, he could learn how to play in the NBA on a playoff run and during the playoffs. Bound to win games with a PG like that.

We're well on our way to losing in 4-5 games in the first round regardless of who we play anyway.

Pacersfan.
04-05-2006, 10:49 PM
This will make some of you happy:

NOTABLE
# Though Tinsley was out with a sore right Achilles tendon, Carlisle said before the game he intended to start Anthony Johnson regardless. "This is not to single out Jamaal," Carlisle said. "Recent history dictates this is what we should do right now."

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/insider_060405.html

Jermaniac
04-05-2006, 10:51 PM
We're well on our way to losing in 4-5 games in the first round regardless of who we play anyway.Yeah why go down fighting when you can teach a point guard how to beat Chauncey Billups off the dribble and watch him get roasted for 35 points per game by Chauncey. Always more fun.

He does not deserve to start over AJ or Tinsley, I dont give a **** what kind of game he had tonight. And really he isnt good enough to start.

Los Angeles
04-05-2006, 10:52 PM
This will make some of you happy:

NOTABLE
# Though Tinsley was out with a sore right Achilles tendon, Carlisle said before the game he intended to start Anthony Johnson regardless. "This is not to single out Jamaal," Carlisle said. "Recent history dictates this is what we should do right now."

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/insider_060405.html
Just wild speculation here: As a courtesy, Carlisle told this to Tinsley after last night's game and Tinsley told him "if you don't start me, I'm not coming."

End wild speculation.

Shade
04-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Yeah why go down fighting when you can teach a point guard how to beat Chauncey Billups off the dribble and watch him get roasted for 35 points per game by Chauncey. Always more fun.

He does not deserve to start over AJ or Tinsley, I dont give a **** what kind of game he had tonight. And really he isnt good enough to start.

We've been fighting?!

Shade
04-05-2006, 10:53 PM
Just wild speculation here: As a courtesy, Carlisle told this to Tinsley after last night's game and Tinsley told him "if you don't start me, I'm not coming."

End wild speculation.

Which means...Tins is done for the season?

Jermaniac
04-05-2006, 10:53 PM
We've been fighting?! AJ HAS BEEN STARTING?

Shade
04-05-2006, 10:55 PM
AJ HAS BEEN STARTING?

We were dropping plenty of games with AJ starting before Tins took back the starting spot.

Jermaniac
04-05-2006, 10:57 PM
We were also 2 games over .500. Like I said Sarunas does not deserve to start and has done nothing to show that he should be starting, and thank God, Rick Carlisle agree's with me.

Los Angeles
04-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Which means...Tins is done for the season?
If my wild, unfair, random but ultimately plausible speculation were true, neither Donnie nor Larry nor Carlisle nor virtually any of the players would have a problem with Tins never getting another minute in the uniform.

I was already fine with that, but if anything comes out to support my wild, unfair, random but ultimately plausible speculation he may very well be the first player I openly heckle in my 20+ years of following the Pacers.

Shade
04-05-2006, 10:58 PM
We were also 2 games over .500. Like I said Sarunas does not deserve to start and has done nothing to show that he should be starting, and thank God, Rick Carlisle agree's with me.

I thought Rick was a moron...? :confused:

I'm just messin' wit 'ya, Jerm. I really don't know who should start.

Jermaniac
04-05-2006, 10:59 PM
He is a moron when it comes to rotations and playing basketball when you have a big lead.

But before the game starts - one of the best coaches in the NBA.

Evan_The_Dude
04-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Leandro Barbosa is who I really want running the point...

Raskolnikov
04-06-2006, 02:25 AM
I'd like to see how Sarunas does, but, since we've approached the end of the season and there's no time for experiments right now, AJ starting with Saras backing him up and getting 20+ minutes is fine with me for now.

Seed
04-06-2006, 02:43 AM
Asking who you want to be pg for the rest of the season is like asking who do you want to be captian after the iceberg hit the Titanic.

:)

DeS
04-06-2006, 05:13 AM
Damn that would be a nice idea, he could learn how to play in the NBA on a playoff run and during the playoffs. Bound to win games with a PG like that.
I agree with You - it would be a nice idea, but maybe we should leave Saras with 2nd unit, because AJ do not know how to run it and he is ineffective without starters.

Bball
04-06-2006, 06:51 AM
Start Sarunas because he's overall the best PG we have. Do away with the ISO's (at least 90%) and make Peja the first option. Teach JO how to set a screen and hold it long enough to be effective.

Yes, Tinsley can dribble better than Sarunas... I can't say he defends any better tho. And I personally think Sarunas is the better passer. He's certainly healthier. He also makes better decisions with the ball.

It should take about 10 mins to design and implement some things to help with pressure if teams want to pressure him.

AJ is old news. This season is over. We know what we have there. Let's see what Sarunas has because TPTB have some decisions to make.

Tinsley is injured, or suspended, or faking injury... or something anyway so he doesn't matter. He never should've returned to the court this season. He should've been the disaster PG and we could've let his legend grow while he sat on the bench with his cancerous attitude and poor decision making skills in check. Now we've proven that he really is injury prone AND is not a team player all in one fell swoop.

D-BONE
04-06-2006, 06:51 AM
It doesn't really matter who starts. I don't think any of our top 3 candidates has shown to be particularly successful in that role anyway.

Getting roasted by Billups sounds like a job description any of the three would fit against top-flight competition.

The important thing IMO is to get Sarunas significant minutes the rest of the way off the bench or whatever. At least get an extended look at him to see what he might really offer next year.

If he can show he can at least be a consistent backup PG option maybe we'll be so lucky as to see both AJ and JT shipped out over the summer. I'm tired of the damn merry-go-round of those two at the point even though I will give AJ credit for doing whatever has been asked of him.

Get me some fresh faces in here. JT or AJ? That's the quintessential lesser of two evils choice. Barbosa, Marcus Banks, a PG from the draft, a few barbecue chicken wings. Those two have worn out their welcome with me.

pizza guy
04-06-2006, 07:37 AM

Hope you don't mind, I'm making this my signature. :)

I'd like to see Sarunas as the starter. Yes, his defense is suspect, but the team plays better with him in. There is more motion, better passes, and better quality shots taken. Sure, if we play Detriot, he'll get burned by Billups, but so will anyone else on the team. So, the only real solution to all of this is......

Jamison Brewer

;)

heywoode
04-06-2006, 08:04 AM
Mike James.

Kaufman
04-06-2006, 08:50 AM
Anyone see a guy like Danny Granger running a point forward type of position maybe a few years down the road? I'm not saying I particularly do, but thought it to be an interesting idea given the amount of people who like to compare him to Scottie Pippen...

Unclebuck
04-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Anyone see a guy like Danny Granger running a point forward type of position maybe a few years down the road? I'm not saying I particularly do, but thought it to be an interesting idea given the amount of people who like to compare him to Scottie Pippen...

I don't think he has playmaking ability. He's more of a finisher

Kaufman
04-06-2006, 09:09 AM
UB, I agree, he is moreso finisher type, but then why can't be the type of guy who can be a #1 option type of player???

BillS
04-06-2006, 09:37 AM
I say Saras, why not? If he continues to **** people off it isn't going to change things, and if he works out who knows what that could mean moving forward?

As I've said, there isn't much difference between the last lottery spot and barely making the playoffs, at least for the Pacers who wouldn't get a top 3 pick if we had every ball in the bucket ("And the third pick in the NBA draft goes to ... hey, this thing must be broken, it says the Chicago Bulls! Oh, well, must be right. And the second pick ... wtf, that says the Houston Rockets? OK, I guess we go with Houston. The first pick ... the Neeeeew Yooooork KNICKS!")

hoopsforlife
04-06-2006, 04:59 PM
I voted Sarunas but we have a well trained experienced PG already on this team. Everybody over looks the talent and assumes we must use the popular choices all the time.

People just look to the sky and ask why, why, why? Why don't we use Jeff Foster at point??? :)

Lithfan
04-06-2006, 05:05 PM

Please state one reason why Jack/Peja/AJ/Fred/Danger or whoever plays 2 or 3 can't help him?

I'm telling you once again - this is how it was done in Europe.

dannyboy
04-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Vote for Ed, and all your wildest dreams will come true.

themind
04-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Saras can run the free flowing offense and make most of the guys offensively, while at the same time he makes everyone around him better and more competitive, so in my opinion the team defense can really fill the holes. Peja, Granger, Hulk and Foster are ideal to play with Saras and he CAN feed them 10 assists every given night.

sweabs
04-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Rashad Wright?

Will Galen
04-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Johnny Arnold? Butch Brooks? Bobby Beeson?

Pacesetter
04-06-2006, 07:20 PM
What a shocker!

Jermaniac
04-07-2006, 11:56 PM
For those of you who say Sarunas should start please explain to me.

What starting point guard in the NBA need 3 picks to get the ball across the half court. What starting point guard gets to the top of the key with only 9 seconds left and no chance at all to get a good offensive possesion going. This guy is not close to NBA starting material, not even close. I have no idea why other teams just dont press him as soon as he gets the ball. Nate Robinson got in this guys head and owned him on both sides of the court. It was really sad cause Nate Robinson is a scrub.

It will be fun watching him trying to get the ball up against Billups on sunday, we are going to see how he should be a starting PG.

BlueNGold
04-08-2006, 09:22 AM
For those of you who say Sarunas should start please explain to me.

What starting point guard in the NBA need 3 picks to get the ball across the half court. What starting point guard gets to the top of the key with only 9 seconds left and no chance at all to get a good offensive possesion going. This guy is not close to NBA starting material, not even close. I have no idea why other teams just dont press him as soon as he gets the ball. Nate Robinson got in this guys head and owned him on both sides of the court. It was really sad cause Nate Robinson is a scrub.

It will be fun watching him trying to get the ball up against Billups on sunday, we are going to see how he should be a starting PG.

The truth is, all of our PG's are seriously flawed. The question is, is AJ or Saras the best choice? Tinman cannot be included in this discussion, because he simply cannot stay on the floor. Injuries are the main reason this team has not built any continuity (they s###, btw), and he has played a big role in that respect. If he were dependable, he would be the obvious choice....but that is not the case.

So, between AJ and Saras...I think it is a pretty close call. AJ may deserve to start right now...and he is. However, I think Saras' strong points (which you ignore) should not go unnoticed. Saras has far better court vision than AJ resulting in spectacular passing ability. He also stretches the defense with a much better 3pt shooting pct. Also, I would take Saras over AJ in a clutch situation. The fact this is Saras' first year in the NBA, and AJ's ninth should not be ignored either.

Bball
04-08-2006, 02:39 PM
The truth is, all of our PG's are seriously flawed. The question is, is AJ or Saras the best choice? Tinman cannot be included in this discussion, because he simply cannot stay on the floor. Injuries are the main reason this team has not built any continuity (they s###, btw), and he has played a big role in that respect. If he were dependable, he would be the obvious choice....but that is not the case.

So, between AJ and Saras...I think it is a pretty close call. AJ may deserve to start right now...and he is. However, I think Saras' strong points (which you ignore) should not go unnoticed. Saras has far better court vision than AJ resulting in spectacular passing ability. He also stretches the defense with a much better 3pt shooting pct. Also, I would take Saras over AJ in a clutch situation. The fact this is Saras' first year in the NBA, and AJ's ninth should not be ignored either.

I agree with all that plus I'll add (to answer Jermaniac) this season is a lost cause at this point. Making the playoffs could be waste if we 'back in' or get their via bandaids. Let's use this time to actually see if Sarunas can bring something to the starting lineup, get himself acclimated better to the game, and how his strengths vs weaknesses play out with real minutes and in the starting role. Of course if he's asked to just dump the ball to Jermaine then.... pfffffft...

Altho... I did notice him getting the ball to JO in places that helped JO last night (but I didn't get to see the whole game).

We can use this time to get a better handle on what we have for next year to build around, keep, or trade. AJ is a known commodity at this point so we gain nothing in that regard by starting and plying him major minutes.
-

And to think, last September people were actually saying the words "Title Town" aloud in regards to Indy.

-Bball

able
04-08-2006, 02:52 PM
I agree with all that plus I'll add (to answer Jermaniac) this season is a lost cause at this point. Making the playoffs could be waste if we 'back in' or get their via bandaids. Let's use this time to actually see if Sarunas can bring something to the starting lineup, get himself acclimated better to the game, and how his strengths vs weaknesses play out with real minutes and in the starting role. Of course if he's asked to just dump the ball to Jermaine then.... pfffffft...

Altho... I did notice him getting the ball to JO in places that helped JO last night (but I didn't get to see the whole game).

We can use this time to get a better handle on what we have for next year to build around, keep, or trade. AJ is a known commodity at this point so we gain nothing in that regard by starting and plying him major minutes.
-

And to think, last September people were actually saying the words "Title Town" aloud in regards to Indy.

-Bball

If Saras plays like last night, he might as well bring a soft cushion and do what Daivd did earlier this year, become very good friends with his chair, because that is the only place he belongs.

Bball
04-08-2006, 03:12 PM
If Saras plays like last night, he might as well bring a soft cushion and do what Daivd did earlier this year, become very good friends with his chair, because that is the only place he belongs.

We've won several games with Sarunas playing with the second unit. We've lost several games with Tinsley starting and AJ backing him up. I'm willing to look at more than one game to fully evaluate a player or players.

Also, to be fair to Sarunas, you can't sit him all this time and expect wonderful results in just a couple of games. How many games did we give Tinsley after his return before pulling the plug?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

-Bball

able
04-08-2006, 03:25 PM
We've won several games with Sarunas playing with the second unit. We've lost several games with Tinsley starting and AJ backing him up. I'm willing to look at more than one game to fully evaluate a player or players.

Also, to be fair to Sarunas, you can't sit him all this time and expect wonderful results in just a couple of games. How many games did we give Tinsley after his return before pulling the plug?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

-Bball
Saras averaged a lot of minutes, played more minutes and done nothing with it.

He started 15 games, averaged 21.6 minutes per game and that is over 68 gaes, how on earth can we stll be giving him chances while crucifying JT who this year; started 27 out of 39 games and averaged 17 minutes per game over those 39 games has "had his chance" ?

How many of those games was he forced to play to early?

still want to make the comparison? Saras has had more then one chance, and not used any of them to show he can do what it takes, last night our point play was pathetic to say the least and Saras in particular a turnover waiting to happen and it happened frequently.

hoopsforlife
04-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Saras had 3 TO's
JO had 2 TO's
Jax had 3
AJ had 1
Danny had 1
Fred had 2
Scott had 1

Total TO's was 13.

I don't think turnovers were the problem last night.

Our defense and shooting was the problem.

Jeff was 100% from the field but only took 1 shot. :)
Danny didn't get the shots and missed the 1 he took.
Jax was 6 for 15
Saras 1 of 5
Fred 1 of 4

JO and Peja did OK at 22 of 41 combined.

Our defense is bad, bad, bad. :(

Moses
04-10-2006, 03:49 PM
I actually think Runi should start. AJ wont get any better then he is now. He's a backup PG and a good shooter when called upon and can occasionally be a great contributor in your offense, but in the long run..he wont get us anywhere in the playoffs.

Our only hope in the playoffs, assuming we make them, is for Tinsley to come back and play well or for Runi to start playing consistently. I can deal with Runi getting torched by the opposing teams guard so long as he runs the offense well. It works for Steve Nash..But I can't really compare the 2. Needless to say, I want Tinsley to play if and whenever he's healthy (never) and if not Tins, then Runi..because he's the only real hope we have at winning in the playoffs. I've lost confidence in AJ lately. Where is the guy we saw dropping 15-18 a game and dishing out 6 assists? He's gone back to being "Goblin."

Oh, I voted Eddie Gill.

Jermaniac
04-10-2006, 07:16 PM
I take back what I said about Anthony Johnson, you should not be a NBA point guard if cant ever run a fast break.