PDA

View Full Version : Pacers/Bulls - What you didn't see on TV.

Los Angeles
04-05-2006, 11:16 AM
The scene was crazy - the entire top level on the eastern end was bought out by a single Lithuanian basketball club. They arrived wearing matching shirts: Those in the top third wore yellow shirts, those in the middle third wore green and those on the bottom third wore red shirts making a huge human lithuanian flag. I would say that there were 2000-3000 people there with this single club all sitting together.

I have to be honest with you - these folks were there to have a good time. And it was a little contagious. There was a charm and a spirit behind this solid pack of fans that reminded me of european football matches. Or at least of a wild NCAA crowd. It was great to see fans actually into things.

To say these folks were enthusiastic is a gross understatement. They were doing the wave. Dozens of times. They were singing a national song. Clapping in unison. And they would go absolutely ape-**** at the most random times (usually when the Lithuanian guy from the Bulls ended up on the big screen - and he didn't even dress for the game).

Then I started to get annoyed.

After a while, their enthusiastic cheering and chanting had almost nothing to do with the game itself. They would chant while the hometown Bulls were shooting free throws (remember Chandler missing 2 in a row). They would begin a song after a foul. The would do the wave during timeouts.

The bulls couldn't concentrate during most of the game - the strange timing of the crowd noise seemed to have them a little spooked.

They also couldn't seem to get on the same page on who to root for. When Sarunas came into the game the noise was deafening. (And this was the sequnce of plays for him: 1) Gets picked HARD resulting in a Bulls basket - 2) Turns the ball over 3) loses his man again. 4) Misses a wide-open 16 footer. None of that reduced the Lithuanian contingency's excitement.

When he hit his back-to-back 3's, the lady behind me asked her husband "why are they rooting for the other team now?" Her husband said "I don't think they really care that much about the Bulls." I turned around and told them that the guy that hit the baskets was Lithuanian.

They half laughed: "HaHa. Oh ... Uh ... Okay."

Around the start of the 4th quarter, things started to get a little out of control. The bulls pep squad or whatever you want to call them were using cannons to shoot wadded up t-shirts up into the upper decks. Some in the "flag zone" seemed to thing that throwing things was a GREAT idea. First came wadded bits of paper - then came souvenirs.

My wife said "Holy ****. That paper airplane nearly hit the court!"

And then it started. The paper airplanes were raining down, and the Lithuanian crowd was loving it. As an airplane got close to the court, the cheers would increase. Eventually, two airplanes mad it onto the court and I was mad as hell.

Anyone here accidentally step on a piece of paper on a slick court? Anyone not get hurt when it happened?

Now, does anyone remember a sort of nonsensical time out called by Carlisle just before our collapse? You might not know this. At the time, the Pacers were coming up the court and there were 2 paper airplanes on our side of the court. The refs didn't seem to notice.

What was already a crazy situation suddenly found focus in the cheapest of ways. The big screen put up a "noise-o-meter" which is a fake way to get the crowd to cheer during an inbounds. The louder the crowd cheers, supposedly the higher the meter goes. Anyone who's been to a game knows that only little kids fall for this kind of thing. Well, little kids and Lithuanians. They completely erupted at the sight of this thing. You couldn't think during this noise.

Someone took notice. I could hear the sound guy now: "What the hell? The noise-ometer WORKED?!?!? Let's try it again!"

The bulls AV guy used the thing at least a dozen times in the last 8 minutes of the game. The most jarring thing was that suddenly the crowd noise was focused and timed with the events on the court. The Bulls got in rythm. No, not just in rythm. They got PUMPED! The Pacers on the other hand looked confused an bewildered.

There is NO WAY our guys could have heard each other on the court. There is no way they could have heard anything from the bench. They were blowing plays, running into each other. It was chaos.

As the game got closer and closer, the crowd got more into it as the rest of the stadium joined in with the flag brigade. I buried my head in my hands. I felt like someone punched me in the stomach. I really did feel like I was going to throw up.

Now before any of our Lith members come on here and feel like what I had to say was an insult to the country of Lithuania: let me tell you this: They were Chicago people first and fore-most. And the "participation" of this crowd directly resulted in a Bulls win. The Pacers loss was a side effect. And I expected this crowd to root for the home team. I was just floored by the WAY they rooted.

And to the admins: I would prefer that this post stay in the Pacers forum and stay open as long as possible. But if trash ensues, I don't mind those offending posts be moved elsewhere.

Thanks.

Go Pacers. :suicide:

Seed
04-05-2006, 11:25 AM
You should have seen fans in Greece and Turkey, they are throwing coins into the floor. and when they play eachother, they might throw their friends into the floor.

I'm from Israel, and our fans are not known for begin polite too. I was once sitting with this girl from Sweden in a match, and she was horrified by the fact we boo the other team when their players are introduced, and during the game. She said that's not sportsmanship. It never occured to me before, but it was kinda true (not that I stopped booing for a moment).

Anyway, sorry you had this bad experience.

Mushmouth
04-05-2006, 11:30 AM
So funny - I was just off the block of seats occupied by the Lithuanian club. Your post mirrors what I was going to post almost identically. Except I would have added that the Lithunian women were gorgeous. Also, I'd say it was more like 4 thousand. Almost 1/3 of the upper deck!

The noise-o-meter cheering was rock concert levels. It definitely affected play...

Nobody was paying attention over there, and the noise was totally distracting. At the same time I was enjoying the enthusiasm and sideshow until we blew the lead.

What a brutal game to attend.

grace
04-05-2006, 11:34 AM
So I take it the NBA Fan Code of Conduct doesn't apply in Chicago? Do they even have those retarded signs up any more?

A couple weeks ago I had a fleeting thought of going to the game. Now I'm glad I didn't (even if my Bulls did win).

MagicRat
04-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Now I'm glad I didn't (even if my Bulls did win).

This thing clearly isn't working...........:mad:

http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/ignore.gif

Diamond Dave
04-05-2006, 11:37 AM
They showed the Liths quite a few times on TV. However they did not seem to be too loud. Only when they were chanting for Saras.

I'm pretty sure the whole situation must have blown the Bulls fans' minds.

But throwing stuff onto the court? :unimpress

sweabs
04-05-2006, 11:42 AM
I love the enthusiasm of European fans.

Ragnar
04-05-2006, 11:49 AM
They showed them on TV a few times and you could certainly tell that they were a distraction.

Unclebuck
04-05-2006, 11:55 AM
So in other words the Pacers lost because of Saras and his fans

Los Angeles
04-05-2006, 11:58 AM
HAHAHA - no not really. The Pacers still lost the game.

And to be clear, the crowd seemed to like the Lith guy from the bulls more tha Saras.

Kuziukas
04-05-2006, 12:02 PM
We were rooting for both teams, what do you think, that's one in a long while event, organized by lithuanian basketball club Zalgiris in Chicago. And those airplanes, well there're all kinds of people. And was it fun there, hell yeah it was.

Kestas
04-05-2006, 12:16 PM
They showed them on TV a few times and you could certainly tell that they were a distraction.

you are funny! :)
btw, that should explain rather poor results of USA NT in recent competitions as all ot he arena was of a simmilar mood ;)

the following image is from Lithuanian news board.

Thanks go to Audrius (c)

note how calm these people are! I suppose they were cheering for the Bulls and for Saras. Bulls are a team, Saras is a player. games are won by a team. so they wanted Saras to play and Bulls to win (or maybe they did not care much ;)). besides, they probably know by heart how many minutes Saras has got lately and this gives them no reason whatsoever to like the Pacers more than Bulls. besides, Bulls have Songaila..

and why did you mention the wave during the timeouts? we never make waves during the games, unless the home team is winning convincingly. timeouts are created for the waves..

3ballinhoop
04-05-2006, 12:19 PM
It is known that this celebrating, expressive fanship does not exist in american basketball and as always, what is different from the known and familiar is mostly not accepted; it's like that everywhere. However, my perception is that fans should be just as loud and colorful as possible. It's sports, not opera, and I consider following the fan spectacle half the entertainment of any sports game I attend live.
I understand your reaction because this was new to you, but just like the shocked establishment grew to accept Elvis and his swinging hips, NBA watchers might actually have something to learn here.

btowncolt
04-05-2006, 12:20 PM
It is known that this celebrating, expressive fanship does not exist in american basketball and as always, what is different from the known and familiar is mostly not accepted; it's like that everywhere. However, my perception is that fans should be just as loud and colorful as possible. It's sports, not opera, and I consider following the fan spectacle half the entertainment of any sports game I attend live.
I understand your reaction because this was new to you, but just like the shocked establishment grew to accept Elvis and his swinging hips, NBA watchers might actually have something to learn here.

:laugh:

Los Angeles
04-05-2006, 12:20 PM
We were rooting for both teams, what do you think, that's one in a long while event, organized by lithuanian basketball club Zalgiris in Chicago. And those airplanes, well there're all kinds of people. And was it fun there, hell yeah it was.
Oh, don't get me wrong. It was really entertaining until the line was crossed.

But you're wrong about the paper airplanes coming from "all kinds of people". The paper airplanes came from the Lithuanian section only. I'm certain of that. But also to be fair, I saw at least 5 of them being thrown,and it was mostly children throwing them.

I honestly wonder if I would have felt differently about the situation if the Pacers had won.

If I were part of that club, I would have had probably the best time ever at an NBA game. Part of me feels that the crowd should be that enthusiastic everywhere. It just needed help in following the actual game. It also needed help in following the common sense of not throwing things at the court. You'd think that after the brawl that wouldn't have to be said. The fact that it was another Pacers road game made it unforgivable.

Hicks
04-05-2006, 12:24 PM
I love the enthusiasm of European fans.

I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not, but I love it. I don't approve of throwing things, but the cheering, singing, etc. is great.

3ballinhoop
04-05-2006, 12:26 PM
The "well, there are all kind of people" phrase does not refer to the crowd in general, but to the lithuanian crowd. He simply means he is not responsible for what some individuals are doing.

Diamond Dave
04-05-2006, 12:26 PM

I have always given a polite golf clap at NBA games, especially in the playoffs when teams need to focus, and thats the way it will stay.

The European fans and their barbaric cheering has no place within an American professional sports arena.

Mushmouth
04-05-2006, 12:30 PM
you are funny! :)
btw, that should explain rather poor results of USA NT in recent competitions as all ot he arena was of a simmilar mood ;)

the following image is from Lithuanian news board. thanks go to Vilmis, though I don't know if he made the shot.
note how calm these people are! I suppose they were cheering for the Bulls and for Saras. Bulls are a team, Saras is a player. games are won by a team. so they wanted Saras to play and Bulls to win (or maybe they did not care much ;)). besides, they probably know by heart how many minutes Saras has got lately and this gives them no reason whatsoever to like the Pacers more than Bulls. besides, Bulls have Songaila..

and why did you mention the wave during the timeouts? we never make waves during the games, unless the home team is winning convincingly. timeouts are created for the waves..

Nobody in the Lithuanian section was paying ANY attention to the game- and the Wave was going continuously during play and during timeouts. The chanting and singing had no correlation to the game. I'm not blaming anybody, or even taking exception to the behavior, I thought it was just a group having a great time, but to insinuate these were good basketball fans is just not true. Unless good basketball fan in Europe = yelling, screaming, chanting and not paying one lick of attention to the action on the floor.

Los Angeles
04-05-2006, 12:32 PM
I have always given a polite golf clap at NBA games, especially in the playoffs when teams need to focus, and thats the way it will stay.

The European fans and their barbaric cheering has no place within an American professional sports arena.
Not true.

I don't think you've ever been to a ND or Texas football game.

3ballinhoop
04-05-2006, 12:32 PM

Well, that's just great for you, sport.
I don't really care about how you as an individual enjoy and live your games, but having visited all kinds of arenas, I know that the fans themselves provide almost the same show and entertainment as the athletes themselves in a real fan atmosphere. The fans in such an environment are the biggest reason for me to rather watch a game in the arena compared to watching it on tv.
Also, enthusiastic fans are the so called 6th man on the court that really give home teams an edge. Apparently the advantage of playing at home in the NBA is limited to not having to fly or spend the night before the match in a hotel.

sweabs
04-05-2006, 12:34 PM
I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not, but I love it. I don't approve of throwing things, but the cheering, singing, etc. is great.

No, I wasn't being sarcastic at all.

I really do enjoy it.

I was talking about this in the game thread last night, but during my stay in Indiana I didn't have the greatest experience with cheering. I wish I could be a part of a group like the Europeans, where you're constantly standing, cheering, yelling, encouraging, etc. But during the 2 games I saw at Conseco, I liked to stand up and yell words of encouragement after what I thought to be big-time plays (momentum changing 3 pointer, dunk, etc.).

Let's just say, bad decision from where I was sitting. I got many stares, in particular from the people in front of me who seemed royally pissed off. Those people in front of me didn't even watch the game for the most part, so I must have been a nuissance to their conversation. They didn't even clap their hands or anything. And they had courtside seats...I mean come on.

Maybe it was because I had such good seats? I don't know. Either way, I "apologized" for cheering my team on, because it was very noticiable that they were upset with me. They didn't say much, until I told them that I had travelled all the way from Toronto. At that point they realized all the money that had gone into the vacation and reluctantly replied "Well, I guess you should be able to cheer then - you've paid enough!"........................:rolleyes:

3ballinhoop
04-05-2006, 12:35 PM
You can't forget this group was some sort of club of lithuanians in Chicago. Most probably aren't basketball fans which would explain that they don't follow the game that much.

Los Angeles
04-05-2006, 12:37 PM
rcarey - that's a terrible, terrible story. I'm sorry you went through that. Those people should be ashamed of themselves.

Remember that many tickets are sold to companies that give them away to clients and other non-fans.

Diamond Dave
04-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Not true.

I don't think you've ever been to a ND or Texas football game.

Okay, I expected some not to catch the sarcasm, but not you. :-o

And I was a regular contributor to the Mad House on Market Street. So I know what enthusiastic fandom is all about.

Kuziukas
04-05-2006, 12:42 PM

Everyone has his own opinion, can't blame you for that.

Los Angeles
04-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Okay, I expected some not to catch the sarcasm, but not you. :-o

And I was a regular contributor to the Mad House on Market Street. So I know what enthusiastic fandom is all about.
Ooops - I didn't even pay attention to your screen name. Where's that :losangelesisafreakingmoron: smilie? :D

Diamond Dave
04-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Everyone has his own opinion, can't blame you for that.

Alright already, I didn't lay the sarcasm on as thick as I thought.

MY POST ABOUT GOLF CLAPPING IN THE PLAYOFFS WAS A JOKE!!!!!!!

:D

Hicks
04-05-2006, 12:53 PM
rcarey - that's a terrible, terrible story. I'm sorry you went through that. Those people should be ashamed of themselves.

Remember that many tickets are sold to companies that give them away to clients and other non-fans.

Welcome to the majority of Conseco Fieldhouse. It's sad. It's infectious.

Kuziukas
04-05-2006, 12:54 PM
You can't forget this group was some sort of club of lithuanians in Chicago. Most probably aren't basketball fans which would explain that they don't follow the game that much.

Zalgiris Basketball Club to be correct, and by the way we have a Lithuanian Basketball League in Chicago, and Lithuania being as a basketball country, more or less everyone is a basketball, as a game, fan. But cheering as a whole huge group of people was something that we've felt a long time ago. And maybe sometimes it was out of control, but as I said, that's one in a long time event, and basketball players have to be ready for the pressure at any given moment. So if they felt bad, that's their problem.

3ballinhoop
04-05-2006, 12:56 PM
I think your initiative was great, Kuziukas.

Hicks
04-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Ooops - I didn't even pay attention to your screen name. Where's that :losangelesisafreakingmoron: smilie? :D

The software doesn't allow a tag that long, but I managed to come up with this:

:losangeles: (:*losangeles: )

;) :D

Kestas
04-05-2006, 12:59 PM
Nobody in the Lithuanian section was paying ANY attention to the game- and the Wave was going continuously during play and during timeouts. The chanting and singing had no correlation to the game. I'm not blaming anybody, or even taking exception to the behavior, I thought it was just a group having a great time, but to insinuate these were good basketball fans is just not true. Unless good basketball fan in Europe = yelling, screaming, chanting and not paying one lick of attention to the action on the floor.

one of their beloved players is being treated like a thirdstringer in a team, which is poor itself, while the other is injuried. what did you expect? they have seen many basketball games in their life to be able to relax, when there's no team to actually cheer for.

besides, in the end, as I understand, they supported the home team, which is understandable.

the cheering in Europe is like this: opposing team has the ball - people shout, wistle, boo and generally trie to make as much noise as possible (the louder and less comprehensable - the better), the home team has the ball - everyone chants one of the supporting chants or simply switch off the negative noise in anticipation (which is still lowder than what we see in NBA games most of the time). when the home team player ishooting free throws, the fans often try to get him in rythm by clapping in an increasing tempo. the home team makes something positive / opposing teams makes something bad/stupid - everyone claps and cheers. the noise level picks up during the key moments of the match. die hard fans usually wave flags, sometimes they stretch huuuuge flags over the whole stands. throwing stuff to the field is considered by the overwhelming majority a very negative act. after the game fans throw paper ribbons and stuff like that, but if something is thrown onto the court during the game, that particullar fan usully get apprehended, because in Europe (Euroleague especially) fines for fans throwing stuff to the court are almost inevitable. for example, in Euroleague a single half-empty plastic cup on the court before the end of the game means a sure fine (unless the court kids manage to remove it before the refs see it ;)). there is always a particullar zone for the hard-core fans, who are directing all of the support. these blokes are hardly sitting throughout the game. there is always a live proffesional presenter (who scored, who fauled, who took a timeout and so on), who is also controlling the crowd if there is a need.. if the crowds does not like the refs, they will boo them without any remorse whatsoever.
it's all very simple and hopefully it will always be like this.

k

sweabs
04-05-2006, 01:00 PM

I find it interesting. To begin with, I don't think these were people who randomly got the "company tickets", although some of them probably did. But the people directly in front of me were at the games both nights, and they spoke to ushers and people surrounding them as if they were long-time season ticket holders.

Anyway - what remains interesting to me is how various teams differ in terms of crowd interaction. I've been to 6 different NBA venues, and two of the most enjoyable atmospheres for cheering (if I was a fan of these teams) would be Toronto and Detroit, in my opinion. Maybe it has something to do with the hockey mentality in these towns, but they have some very enthusiastic fans. Indiana in comparison seemed a lot more conservative - this is all just based on my experiences. I don't know if it holds true over the course of an entire season.

Diamond Dave
04-05-2006, 01:11 PM
I find it interesting. To begin with, I don't think these were people who randomly got the "company tickets", although some of them probably did. But the people directly in front of me were at the games both nights, and they spoke to ushers and people surrounding them as if they were long-time season ticket holders.

Anyway - what remains interesting to me is how various teams differ in terms of crowd interaction. I've been to 6 different NBA venues, and two of the most enjoyable atmospheres for cheering (if I was a fan of these teams) would be Toronto and Detroit, in my opinion. Maybe it has something to do with the hockey mentality in these towns, but they have some very enthusiastic fans. Indiana in comparison seemed a lot more conservative - this is all just based on my experiences. I don't know if it holds true over the course of an entire season.

Well I know that vast majority of seats in my section are give aways. Most of the time the people there are at their first Pacers game.

Unfortunately IMO they seem to be more interested in drinking and harassing the waitresses. They show up late, and then leave early to "hit the bar."

It has never been the same since we left MSA. Combine all of that, and the general distaste for this current team, has worsened the situation.

Raskolnikov
04-05-2006, 01:14 PM
This is all very sad.

Wish I could be at Conseco...

Seed
04-05-2006, 01:23 PM
This is a tribute to all Euro fans (Israeli fans are just representatives here):

"Of all the places I have traveled, I never have seen a people more crazy about basketball, even the NBA." Chad Ford, ESPN.com (USA)

Anyone interested, and having ESPN Insider, can read more on:

http://insider.espn.go.com/proxy/proxy.dll/insider/story?id=1792981&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fpro xy%2fproxy.dll%2finsider%2fstory%3fid%3d1792981

Knucklehead Warrior
04-05-2006, 01:36 PM
NBA watchers might actually have something to learn here.

Thanks

grace
04-05-2006, 02:01 PM
This thing clearly isn't working...........:mad:

http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/ignore.gif

:evillaugh

As for the cheering/non-cheering that goes on at Conseco it's number...oh never mind.

Mourning
04-05-2006, 02:07 PM

:lol:

Mourning
04-05-2006, 02:17 PM
I think your initiative was great, Kuziukas.

Yeah, me too! :thumbup:

Jon Theodore
04-05-2006, 02:26 PM
i really wish i was lithuanian

Diamond Dave
04-05-2006, 02:28 PM
:lol:

Kstat
04-05-2006, 02:38 PM
from what I could hear on the TV, they were making a lot of noise, but weren't paying any attention to the game.

IMO, its fine if they're getting into the game, but it becomes obnoxious if they're just doing it randomly.

Evan_The_Dude
04-05-2006, 02:49 PM
NBA watchers might actually have something to learn here.

When my team learns to win, I'll learn to cheer.

Lord Helmet
04-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Yeah, they don't call it the Funeral Home for nothing.

I really wish we had a decent team and the place could get loud. I mean it hardly ever does.

Those pathetic people who were getting mad at rcarey are morons. They probably came to just "talk" and "drink" and not be fans. I don't care how much they paid, they simply don't need to be there.

Conseco is a brilliant building, but it doesn't intimidate anyone.

But back to the Lith fans, I love how they are into it, the only thing I didn't like hearing was that they threw stuff on the court.

ChicagoJ
04-05-2006, 02:57 PM
I guess it would've been okay for the Bulls to play random race car noises on their PA?

I'm not sure I understand this discussion.

Whether we are jaded fans or not, I don't know.

But we're talking about a freaking regular season game. That's not really anything to get excited about.

Show my a playoff game in Indiana and I'll show you a loud, enthusiastic crowd. Except with the current team, even with Mr. Cancer the paying fans just weren't that enthusiastic about the team. Next season, assuming some of these idiots are traded away, it will be interesting to see if the fans do a better job of embracing them.

Lord Helmet
04-05-2006, 03:02 PM
I guess it would've been okay for the Bulls to play random race car noises on their PA?

I'm not sure I understand this discussion.

Whether we are jaded fans or not, I don't know.

But we're talking about a freaking regular season game. That's not really anything to get excited about.

Show my a playoff game in Indiana and I'll show you a loud, enthusiastic crowd. Except with the current team, even with Mr. Cancer the paying fans just weren't that enthusiastic about the team. Next season, assuming some of these idiots are traded away, it will be interesting to see if the fans do a better job of embracing them.
I do agree that Conseco gets better in the playoffs. I remember last year in the first round Game 5 or 6 and a rookie Celtic player was on the line in the closing seconds and it was loud as hell and he missed both.

I just wish Conseco could get a little loud during the regular season games, like other arenas.

And if we make the playoffs, to be honest, I don't know what to expect from our fans this year.

Kstat
BTW, I miss the racing car noises. They gave the arena an identity.

ChicagoJ
one of their beloved players is being treated like a thirdstringer in a team, which is poor itself, while the other is injuried. what did you expect?

This is exactly why I bypassed last night's game.

He's not being treated like a thirdstringer on a poor team.

He IS a third-stringer on a poor team.

Deal with it.

Had I gone to the game, I'm pretty sure I'd have come home with a black eye. And since I had a meeting with a client in Chicago this morning that's about to spend $4 billion to buy part of a well-known medical devices company, I figured a black eye was not the way to go.

ChicagoJ
04-05-2006, 03:06 PM
I just wish Conseco could get a little loud during the regular season games, like other arenas.

I've been to a lot of regular season games in other arenas. With the exception of Detroit, they're all much quieter than CFH.

We joke about the increased fan noise during the airplane race, but the United Center is normally at its loudest during the Dunkin' Donuts race on the big screen, or when the noise meter is played.

Otherwise, its amazing that 23,000 people can be that quiet.

But goodness gracious, its hard to get excited about regular season games.

Kstat
04-05-2006, 03:08 PM
You also forget the sound dampeners in COnseco to MAKE it sound as quiet and filtered as possible.

sweabs
04-05-2006, 03:15 PM
But goodness gracious, its hard to get excited about regular season games.

I didn't find it hard to get into the Sacramento game I was at, with the return of Ron Artest (and neither did the majority of spectators).

Yet, somehow, that was the game I had my little conversation with the people in front of me. The only time they even seemed to watch the court was when the halftime festivities were taking place, or the stupid competitions in between time outs. Agh! :mad: A couple bad apples in the bunch.

ChicagoJ
04-05-2006, 03:27 PM
And yet every commentator described that game as a "playoff atmosphere."

That happens for maybe 8-10 regular season games per year. That was true in MSA, too.

04-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Now you know why our Basketball Arenas in Europe are not as big as the Arenas in NBA... We are some noisy *******s! :) Also we never BOO our team! Lets say if my team is down with 20 points and a guy just makes a regular basket to cut the lead to 18 we CHEER LIKE HELL, while the Fans in US only give a 3 second silent clap. Fans must be enthusiastic all the time, cause that always Pumps up the Players and gives them rythm / adrenaline.

Alpolloloco
04-05-2006, 03:58 PM
This is exactly why I bypassed last night's game.

Deal with it.

Had I gone to the game, I'm pretty sure I'd have come home with a black eye. And since I had a meeting with a client in Chicago this morning that's about to spend $4 billion to buy part of a well-known medical devices company, I figured a black eye was not the way to go.

No, he is a proven winner not getting a chance to show off his leadership qualities!

You know what, why don't we have a poll on the trade board where everyone can choose which PG they would mostly want from our team (and who not!).
I bet you that Saras will get more votes than your beloved JT and AJ!

Kstat
04-05-2006, 04:00 PM
No, he is a proven winner not getting a chance to show off his leadership qualities!

You know what, why don't we have a poll on the trade board where everyone can choose which PG they would mostly want from our team (and who not!).

Put Saras on the Suns or Spurs and take the same poll. Saras would get more votes.

Doesn't mean he's the better player, just means he has more fanboys.

sweabs
04-05-2006, 04:00 PM

Will there be a "None of the above" option?

Hicks
04-05-2006, 04:01 PM
The Saras debate is over. Take it to the official thread.

Puovils
04-05-2006, 04:17 PM

:lmao:

Alpolloloco
04-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Just like you can't compare the NBA with the Euroleague, you can't compare the fans who attend these games. In the NBA, and I can just say in the entire US, games are attended (in mayority) by companies, families and other normal people. So I hear these business men are sitting at the best available seats. Aren't there skyboxes in the stadiums?

In Europe the greatest sport is, as you probably know, soccer. At these games the mayority of the fans are die hard fans who will do the utmost to be the 12th man. Every club has a core group of fans who have a special section in the stadium (mostly behind one of the goals) and all they do is sing, chant and make noise. The most notorius clubs also have many hooligans who make live miserable for the opponent fans. Thats also a difference between America and Europe, In Europe there is a special section reserved for the opponent fans and as yo can tell the athmosphere can get very heated. At NBA games there are no groups of opponent fans who come to the enemie stadium. There are individuals who live in a city but may root for the away team, but it's almost never organized as in Europe.

The Lithuanian fans took this opportunity to get crazy just like they used to do in Europe (or what they see from there homeland tv stations).

So there is a difference in how Americans and Europeans overall attend the game. Europe took some good things from America (entertainment during the game) and who knows, maybe America will be ready in a few years to get the college athmosphere into the professional games.

Anyhow, I didn't write this to be negative about the way how American sports fans attend their games, I am still saving to go to a live Pacers game at CFA, but it's something I wanted to point out as a difference between us.

Doug
04-05-2006, 04:28 PM
You also forget the sound dampeners in COnseco to MAKE it sound as quiet and filtered as possible.

I wish they would spend the money to make those dang things mechanically retract for events (like a basketball game) where it's supposed to be loud.

Or were you talking about the corporate ticket holders... :-)

Puovils
04-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Zalgiris Basketball Club to be correct, and by the way we have a Lithuanian Basketball League in Chicago, and Lithuania being as a basketball country, more or less everyone is a basketball, as a game, fan. But cheering as a whole huge group of people was something that we've felt a long time ago. And maybe sometimes it was out of control, but as I said, that's one in a long time event, and basketball players have to be ready for the pressure at any given moment. So if they felt bad, that's their problem.
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/quotes_060404.html

"The energy of the crowd was great. I don't know if it was the Lithuanians but we need to invite them to more games."

Kstat
04-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Or were you talking about the corporate ticket holders... :-)

Say what you will about Joe D, he got rid of the corporate guys.....sent them back to the suites where they belong. That was pretty much his first act as president.

Diamond Dave
04-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Just like you can't compare the NBA with the Euroleague, you can't compare the fans who attend these games. In the NBA, and I can just say in the entire US, games are attended (in mayority) by companies, families and other normal people. So I hear these business men are sitting at the best available seats. Aren't there skyboxes in the stadiums?

In Europe the greatest sport is, as you probably know, soccer. At these games the mayority of the fans are die hard fans who will do the utmost to be the 12th man. Every club has a core group of fans who have a special section in the stadium (mostly behind one of the goals) and all they do is sing, chant and make noise. The most notorius clubs also have many hooligans who make live miserable for the opponent fans. Thats also a difference between America and Europe, In Europe there is a special section reserved for the opponent fans and as yo can tell the athmosphere can get very heated. At NBA games there are no groups of opponent fans who come to the enemie stadium. There are individuals who live in a city but may root for the away team, but it's almost never organized as in Europe.

The Lithuanian fans took this opportunity to get crazy just like they used to do in Europe (or what they see from there homeland tv stations).

So there is a difference in how Americans and Europeans overall attend the game. Europe took some good things from America (entertainment during the game) and who knows, maybe America will be ready in a few years to get the college athmosphere into the professional games.

Anyhow, I didn't write this to be negative about the way how American sports fans attend their games, I am still saving to go to a live Pacers game at CFA, but it's something I wanted to point out as a difference between us.

Another difference is that after Americans go home from a sporting event, they turn on Spike TV and watch European fans in "The World's Worst Riots."

;)

Diamond Dave
04-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Say what you will about Joe D, he got rid of the corporate guys.....sent them back to the suites where they belong. That was pretty much his first act as president.

Brilliant!

However in Detroit you actually have people who want to go to the game. If it wasn't for the corporate guys, it would be me, Peck, Roaming Gnome, Hicks, and Magic Rat at the game tonight.

But we'd raise hell by God! :buddies:

Kstat
04-05-2006, 04:37 PM
Brilliant!

However in Detroit you actually have people who want to go to the game. If it wasn't for the corporate guys, it would be me, Peck, Roaming Gnome, Hicks, and Magic Rat at the game tonight.

But we'd raise hell by God! :buddies:

Well, the way he went about doing it was by strategically putting the loudest most obnoxious hecklers he could find, right in the middle of the biggest corporate groups.

Usually the corporate guys would complain and have the guys thrown out. Under Dumars, that was no longer the case.

I think within a year, like half the corporate groups either pulled their money or moved to the skyboxes.

I won't lie, by making the lower bowl more accessable to the non-rich, he let the good in with the bad. I know someone is eventually going to bring that up, so I may as well be the one to do it.

That's not to say it was a bad idea, I still much prefer it vs all the corporate suits that filled the lower half of the palace in the pre-dumars regime. If we're going to be known as the nastiest fans in the NBA, by god that's better to me than the most boring.

Kestas
04-05-2006, 04:38 PM

I'm afraid this could have been a game for the play-offs spot, don't you think? at least for the Bulls it deffinitely was. they simply can't afford to lose their home games anymore. from that perspective it immediately looks different from a regullar match.
however, I still believe Pacers will make it to the play-offs.

k

Kestas
04-05-2006, 04:41 PM

what's the difference? I mean in this case what you are deppends solely on how you are treated.

Los Angeles
04-05-2006, 04:47 PM

Nice!

Alpolloloco
04-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Another difference is that after Americans go home from a sporting event, they turn on Spike TV and watch European fans in "The World's Worst Riots."

;)

Hmmm ..... like Europeans watch Jerry Springer & co shows!

Diamond Dave
04-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Hmmm ..... like Europeans watch Jerry Springer & co shows!

Except all of those shows are scripted and fake.

ChicagoJ
04-05-2006, 05:02 PM

what's the difference? I mean in this case what you are deppends solely on how you are treated.

To the "official thread" ....

Will Galen
04-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Now you know why our Basketball Arenas in Europe are not as big as the Arenas in NBA... We are some noisy *******s! :) Also we never BOO our team! Lets say if my team is down with 20 points and a guy just makes a regular basket to cut the lead to 18 we CHEER LIKE HELL, while the Fans in US only give a 3 second silent clap. Fans must be enthusiastic all the time, cause that always Pumps up the Players and gives them rythm / adrenaline.

You would have that here in the US except NBA teams gouge the paying customer for as much as they can. They have to do that to pay the players outlandish contracts. Most people that can afford to go to NBA games go to be seen or feel it beneath them to cheer crazily.

pizza guy
04-05-2006, 05:43 PM
I love the excitement of the crowd. It's what makes highschool and college games fun to attend. Pacers' fans would, but the team sucks so they don't have any reason to cheer.

Los Angeles
04-05-2006, 05:45 PM

Well, let's try something new - i put this together kind of hastily, but I think it will get plenty of use :)

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=301&stc=1&d=1144273500

Big Smooth
04-05-2006, 06:01 PM

Sarcasm is a lost art, it's good to see it still being practiced and people not knowing what to make of it.

Reminds of when I break out the old Animal House line about "Germans bombing Pearl Harbor" and I get shouted down by a dozen people who think I'm an idiot and have no clue where that came from! ;)

Big Smooth
04-05-2006, 06:07 PM
Maybe it was because I had such good seats? I don't know. Either way, I "apologized" for cheering my team on, because it was very noticiable that they were upset with me. They didn't say much, until I told them that I had travelled all the way from Toronto. At that point they realized all the money that had gone into the vacation and reluctantly replied "Well, I guess you should be able to cheer then - you've paid enough!"........................:rolleyes:

Man, the first person who pulls that kind of stunt on me better be prepared to hear my voice even more loud and proud! That sucks! But I can say I've sat in the $130-$140 "rich folks" seats twice in the past 3 years and at those games, they actually were more active and into the game then I've seen in the cheap seats. *shrugs* Random luck of the draw I suppose. Of course, of those two games one was a playoff game against the Heat and the other was the first Detroit game this season so maybe the really big games result in the true inner fan coming out. ;)

Actually this did happen to me on a smaller level a few years back. Indiana was hosting a very rare night Big Ten game vs Iowa in Bloomington. I was sitting on the alumni side with a couple students who I didn't really even know. Anyways Antwaan Randle El had a spectacular performance and IU beat Iowa in a high scoring, exciting game. We weren't really even being all that rowdy, just the normal cheering and some uptight alum behind us made a remark. So I make eye contact with these two kids I didn't know and we all immediately knew the right thing to do - HOOTING & HOLLERING EXTRA LOUD FOR THE HOOSIERS! LOL! It turned out okay.

Big Smooth
04-05-2006, 06:12 PM

If you are simply cheering and not using foul language, they can complain to the ushers until they are blue in the face and it don't matter. Unless things have changed. I remember sitting near the tunnel for Game 4 of the Pacers-Sixers series in 2001 and everyone in that section was extremely mild except for one kid who stood up a lot to cheer. The guy sitting right behind looked like Andre Rison's twin brother and could not stand it. That dude was NOT gonna get off his butt for any reason. He raised cain with the ushers, they were like "he paid for his ticket, he can stand". The guy almost came to blows with this kid's dad which is the unfortunate ugly side of these confrontations. I had to witness a similar near fight at a Colts-Panthers game in 2004.

People need to chill. It's a game it's supposed to be FUN!!!!!

Big Smooth
04-05-2006, 06:15 PM
BTW, I miss the racing car noises. They gave the arena an identity.

Me too although I know some people hated that. It was kind of the defining sound of our 1994 playoff run as I watched the games on TV. That sound brings positive memories to me.

Seed
04-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Alright already, I didn't lay the sarcasm on as thick as I thought.

MY POST ABOUT GOLF CLAPPING IN THE PLAYOFFS WAS A JOKE!!!!!!!

:D

Yeah, I also missed the sarcasm, and I was wondering where this came from, cause I usually dig your posts.
10x for clearing that up!
:)

04-05-2006, 06:28 PM
You would have that here in the US except NBA teams gouge the paying customer for as much as they can. They have to do that to pay the players outlandish contracts. Most people that can afford to go to NBA games go to be seen or feel it beneath them to cheer crazily.

Ok, I understand then..

Lord Helmet
04-05-2006, 06:29 PM
If you are simply cheering and not using foul language, they can complain to the ushers until they are blue in the face and it don't matter. Unless things have changed. I remember sitting near the tunnel for Game 4 of the Pacers-Sixers series in 2001 and everyone in that section was extremely mild except for one kid who stood up a lot to cheer. The guy sitting right behind looked like Andre Rison's twin brother and could not stand it. That dude was NOT gonna get off his butt for any reason. He raised cain with the ushers, they were like "he paid for his ticket, he can stand". The guy almost came to blows with this kid's dad which is the unfortunate ugly side of these confrontations. I had to witness a similar near fight at a Colts-Panthers game in 2004.

People need to chill. It's a game it's supposed to be FUN!!!!!
People are just ********. I remember I was at a Colts game this year, and some older guy behind me tapped me on the back after I stood up to see a big pass and he was like, "You stand up too much. Sit down, please."

I was like, "Oook". I told my Dad and he just looked at the guy and then he didn't say anything afterwards.

We payed for our tickets just like you, if you don't like us standing, then buy a ticket in front of us.

Big Smooth
04-05-2006, 06:32 PM
Regarding the Conseco Fieldhouse, they may have the noise dampeners but that place can get loud when it WANTS TO GET LOUD. I've probably been to about 50 games now including both regular season and playoffs. I've seen the Wednesday night games against the team nobody really cares about. I've seen 3 ECF games. I've been to probably almost 20 playoff games, I can't even count that high anymore although I can name them:

2000 Bucks Game 1
2000 76ers Game 5
2000 Knicks Games 1,2 & 5
2001 76ers Games 3 & 4
2002 Nets Game 3
2003 Celtics Games 1, 2 & 5
2004 Celtics Game 2
2004 Heat Game 2
2005 Celtics Game 6
2005 Pistons Games 3 & 4

Okay that is 16 games I guess beer hasn't killed my brain cells yet. ;)

Pacers record in those games = 9-7 if memory serves correctly.

I had the 8 game ticket package for 2 years that I lived in Indy (and guess what i'm coming baaaaaaack soon!). The average regular season game isn't going to raise the pulse. It takes a special opponent to fire up the crowd. Currently, Detroit obviously tops the list. I went to both home games against the Pistons this season and it was pretty close to playoff energy although not quite as much.

In the playoffs, different story. When it gets down to win and advance, I think the Pacer People know how to stand their ground. Best game I've ever seen was the Game 5 vs the Knicks in 2000 where the Pacers fell behind 37-19 and ended up leading at halftime. That game was almost a religious experience and the win led directly to the P's making the NBA FINALS for the first time. *sigh* the memories. Watching Game 6 of the Finals in Conseco Fieldhouse on the big screen. We didn't fill the joint but we had enough people to feel like it was something pretty big. I digress. I could wax poetic for a while. :D

It is what it is.

DeS
04-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Clearly we lost because of Saras fans:

(On tonight's game) "The energy of the crowd was great. I don't know if it was the Lithuanians but we need to invite them to more games."

donny
04-06-2006, 04:08 AM
After a while, their enthusiastic cheering and chanting had almost nothing to do with the game itself. The would do the wave during timeouts.

what's wrong with that?

heywoode
04-06-2006, 08:12 AM
People are just ********. I remember I was at a Colts game this year, and some older guy behind me tapped me on the back after I stood up to see a big pass and he was like, "You stand up too much. Sit down, please."

I was like, "Oook". I told my Dad and he just looked at the guy and then he didn't say anything afterwards.

We payed for our tickets just like you, if you don't like us standing, then buy a ticket in front of us.

It is a fine line between getting chastised for standing up a couple of times and standing for what seems like the entire game. I think everyone has the right to cheer as much as they want but that they should be mindful of other people also.

During Reggie's last regular season game, the people in front of us stood almost the entire game and it was very annoying. Yes, they paid for their tickets like everyone else, but they were still impacting someone else's experience in a negative way, and it wasn't just my and my group. How am I supposed to buy tickets in front of someone? I have no idea if I'm going to get seats behind a moron who thinks that standing while yelling and clapping is better than sitting while yelling and clapping, from the balcony no less....

Single best reason that I always try to get seats in row 1 of wherever I'm sitting...Balcony, club level, doesn't matter...If I'm in row 1, problem solved. I guarantee you that I will be into the game, but also very mindful of the people behind me who are trying to have a good time also.

BillS
04-06-2006, 09:28 AM
I got irritated with the family in front of us at the Reggie game because the kids kept playing Chinese Fire Drill with their seats. At one point they all stood up to move around just as a play commenced under the Pacers' basket, completely blocking my view of the floor.

I said, "Come on, guys, sit down or don't!" and their father laced into me.

"Hey, we've been listening to you all night, now stop it!"

I said, "I haven't been saying anything to you!" and he replied with "You've been yelling at us since the game started."

I was very confused until I realized that every time I'd been yelling at the players on the floor to "Move!" he thought I'd been yelling at his kids.

As proof that timing is everything, right about then my wife spilled her beer and splashed his daughter's back. We apologized like crazy, but at that point I think he decided we were just rowdy drunks.

A bit later I apologized if he thought I'd been singling out his kids, we shook hands and everything was less strained.

I sometimes think they should have a "hey, guys, there's a game going on" section for people who really are interested in seeing the game...

Peja
04-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Cheering in Europe can give you some incredibile strenght.Try to remember how Serbia had great support in Indianapolis 2002. against Argentina in the finals.
If you are really interested to see(and hear) some loud cheering,take a look at this clip and see how Red Star Belgrade fans do it.

P.S. Red Star is Peja's first club;)

http://www.delije.net/av/kosarka/0506/0506_kup_b_finale_1.wmv

Seed
04-06-2006, 10:27 AM
I was very confused until I realized that every time I'd been yelling at the players on the floor to "Move!" he thought I'd been yelling at his kids.

:lol2:
Good scene. Must have been embarrassing though.

Doug
04-06-2006, 10:40 AM
One game a couple of years ago the lady two seats over actually brought a book AND read it during the game. Unbelievable!

Los Angeles
04-06-2006, 10:40 AM
what's wrong with that?
OK - Let's be a little more clear - what I meant to say was that they would do the wave but not out of celebrating the game. They were just celebrating being there.

Also, the wave was happening at lots of random times, like when the home team was shooting FTs or when the Pacers were walking up the ball or in between quarters or any time for that matter.

sweabs
04-06-2006, 10:41 AM
I sometimes think they should have a "hey, guys, there's a game going on" section for people who really are interested in seeing the game...

I'm interested in seeing the game, but can't I get up and cheer at the same time? There has to be a happy medium I suppose...but if I see that the team is frittering away a lead and needs my help, or if I recognize that we're on a momentum swing then you can bet I'm going to let them hear my support. You'd be surprised at how much crowd energy and enthusiasm actually helps players.

Hicks
04-06-2006, 10:48 AM
One game a couple of years ago the lady two seats over actually brought a book AND read it during the game. Unbelievable!

I saw someone related (indirectly) to PD do that recently. :innocent: ;)

Hicks
04-06-2006, 10:49 AM
OK - Let's be a little more clear - what I meant to say was that they would do the wave but not out of celebrating the game. They were just celebrating being there.

Also, the wave was happening at lots of random times, like when the home team was shooting FTs or when the Pacers were walking up the ball or in between quarters or any time for that matter.

Those *******s! ;)

BillS
04-06-2006, 11:09 AM
I'm interested in seeing the game, but can't I get up and cheer at the same time? There has to be a happy medium I suppose...but if I see that the team is frittering away a lead and needs my help, or if I recognize that we're on a momentum swing then you can bet I'm going to let them hear my support. You'd be surprised at how much crowd energy and enthusiasm actually helps players.

I'm sorry, did I say everyone has to sit on their hands the entire time?

I meant that their activities need to have something to do with the game. Cheer, but watch the game. Stand up, but watch the game, don't try to swap cellphones with the guy two rows behind you. Shout, yell, make yourself crazy, but remember that the game is the important thing, not Boomer or Bowser or the kids on the Big Wheels.

In the arenas where everyone just comes to the game to hear themselves shout no one really knows if a ref's call was good or bad because they weren't watching. No one notices that a player sucks or is great compared to their reputation, because no one is watching. Talk about just being there to be seen!

Meanwhile, the people who are really interested in the game stay home and watch TV.

This way comes WWE.

Diamond Dave
04-06-2006, 12:48 PM
I saw someone related (indirectly) to PD do that recently. :innocent: ;)

Oh, I'll admit it.

My mother and fiance' routinely read something (mostly about my upcoming wedding) during the games.

They will freely admit they don't want to be there. They don't care about the Pacers or basketball.

Why do they come you ask? Well Peck buys their ticket so ask him.

Since86
04-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Oh, I'll admit it.

My mother and fiance' routinely read something (mostly about my upcoming wedding) during the games.

They will freely admit they don't want to be there. They don't care about the Pacers or basketball.

Why do they come you ask? Well Peck buys their ticket so ask him.

I'd gladly wear a wig for the night, and pretend to be either. You could get away with having your arm around me, but it stops there!

:)

pacers31tc
04-06-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm so glad I didn't go now, that's humiliating.

Zalgirietis
04-07-2006, 04:35 AM
Lietuva geriausia.
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S7Rmganggg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBj06jrkV2o
Nuotraukos /photo
http://i.1asphost.com/donisdee/nba/index.html
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dainiusg@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=ff6d&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.sbc.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

http://www.apzvalga.com/viewn.php?id=1313

Who is the best fans?

Seed
04-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Just as a late sidenote to this thread:
For those upset by the fans throwing paper planes into the court, I wanted to cheer you up using a remark made today by Quincey Lewis, (ex T-Wolves and Jazz) currently player of Greek's team Olympiacos Pireus. Quincey was complaining about fans throwing... fish ... into the court and on the players.
So anyway, this maybe didn't really cheer you up, but next time you see a paper plane, try to imagine Quincy and them flying fish. :)