PDA

View Full Version : Peja Will Opt Out

HulkSmash!
04-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Peja Says He Will Opt Out Of Deal
5th April, 2006 - 4:09 am
Indianapolis Star (http://www.indystar.com) - Pacers forward Peja Stojakovic, acquired in the January trade for Ron Artest, said on Tuesday that he will opt out of his contract after the season, becoming an unrestricted free agent.

"I have the option to do it, so that's something I'm probably going to do," he said before the game at Chicago.

Stojakovic is scheduled to make $8.2 million next season, according to the Indianapolis Star. Pacers president Larry Bird said in January that the team wants to keep Stojakovic beyond this season.

"I've been after this kid for two years and I don't want him to be here for two weeks. . . . Hopefully he'll be in a Pacer uniform for a long time to come," Bird said during the news conference to introduce Stojakovic.

Stojakovic is averaging 19.0 points and making 39 percent of his 3-pointers in 31 games with the Pacers.

Stojakovic said he's interested in remaining with the Pacers.

"I said from the beginning that the Pacers are a great organization," he said. "(CEO) Donnie (Walsh) and Larry are great people. I believe this team has the potential."

diamonddave00
04-05-2006, 08:39 AM
When Peja Stojakovic , was traded here it was thought by everyone that he would opt out of the last year of his contract he had already told the Kings that. All it means is that the Pacers will have to resign him this summer instead of next summer. The way I look at it and I'm sure Walsh and Bird do also, is it means Peja wants the security of a long term deal.

Instead of 8.2 mil next season it may cost 9-11 mil for the first year of a 4 or 6 year deal. The Pacers still retain his "Bird" rights so they can offer him more than most to teams to resign him. At 29, next season you'd have to think Peja has at least 5-6 years of productive basketball left in him.

Bird and Walsh both said at the time he was acquired money would not be the reason Peja left ,if he did and they wanted to resign him long term. Based on his play 19 ppg , 6.5 rebounds and most other aspects of his play better than expected I see them making every effort to resign him.

If he leaves it will be because he feels this team is not headed in the right direction, I'm sure Larry and Donnie will ask for his imput during negotiations.

I don't think it indicates Peja is unhappy here , he just wants the security of a long term deal.

PacerMan
04-05-2006, 10:10 AM
I don't think it indicates Peja is unhappy here , he just wants the security of a long term deal.

Yeh, cuz he's been playing for peanuts and meal money the past 7 years!

Seriously, sign him and trade him and whoever for a 1st class PG or 2 guard.

Danny is the future/here now at the 3.

Chauncey
04-05-2006, 10:38 AM
S&T to Chicago (where Peja would like to end up) for Hinrich.

Best solution.

The other option would be to Toronto (also a high Serbian population) in a dual S&T for Mike James..but I think you'd much rather want Hinrich and the Bulls can part with him having Duhon for PG and Gordon for SG.

Jermaniac
04-05-2006, 11:04 AM
If we S&T him and get another player I wont be mad if he leaves. But if he just walks off and we dont get nothing I will be pissed.

Anthem
04-05-2006, 12:51 PM
S&T to Chicago (where Peja would like to end up) for Hinrich.

Best solution.
Why would Chicago do that when they can sign him outright?

CableKC
04-05-2006, 01:08 PM
Are you really surprised?

1 ) He has to make his $$$ now when he is having a career year in a contract year so that he can be set for the next 5 to 6 years.

2 ) After seeing the way this team operates from the inside ( and we know how it is from the outside ), I wouldn't blame him.

I wish that I could believe Bird when he says that he will resign Peja.....but his comments don't inspire confidence.

I feel that he would be a very good top-tier player that we need next to JONeal in order for the entire team to stay competitive ( minus some other key players ). But I also know that he would impede any minutes that Granger gets.

I like Granger and think that he will be an All-Star in the future....but I don't see him getting to that "2nd scoring option" on the team in the next season even if he starts. I still think that we can make make Granger the 6th man on the team and still give him enough minutes to develop in the next year or two.

CableKC
04-05-2006, 01:09 PM
If we S&T him and get another player I wont be mad if he leaves. But if he just walks off and we dont get nothing I will be pissed.
Exactly..........that would mean that we went through the entire Artest-incident for an entire month and a half and got nothing other then what the owners wanted at the beginning of the 2005 offseason.....salary cap relief and Jack$h*t.

CableKC
04-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Question........are we able to match whatever anything that any other team offers and still keep him ( if he chooses to stay with the Pacers )?

I know that he is a unrestricted Free Agent and can choose himself where he ends up.....but as long as we at least try and match...then I would be happy.

Knucklehead Warrior
04-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Of course he's going to opt out, even if he intends to stay here. It's a negotiation tool. He's not going anywhere, TPTB consider him too valuable. He's turned out better than anyone expected. Now, if he considers the locker room to be, ah shall we say, "congested", then there's probably no keeping him here regardless of the contract.

As far as Granger goes, he will make a great 6th man until he and Peja switch roles.

rexnom
04-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Question........are we able to match whatever anything that any other team offers and still keep him ( if he chooses to stay with the Pacers )?

I know that he is a unrestricted Free Agent and can choose himself where he ends up.....but as long as we at least try and match...then I would be happy.

Nope. What you described is the case with a restricted free agent.

Save cap room for next year's free agent class which is better as well as some cap room for some of their own players, like Deng and Gordon.

On the situation in general: no one should see this as news. News would have been Peja not opting out. He would be stupid not to opt out here. I think we'll resign him. I don't really see a sign and trade being done unless we know we're going to lose him and try to bargain instead with some team.

Bball
04-05-2006, 01:50 PM

Wouldn't a S&T lessen their cap hit as well as save money overall and maybe make future moves a little easier?

-Bball

CableKC
04-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Nope. What you described is the case with a restricted free agent.
So if the Bulls/Raptors offer him "X" amount of dollars......can't the Pacers do the same ( as in offer him the same "X" amount of dollars )?

I'm not suggesting that Peja would have to stay with the Pacers even if the contract offer was the same ( as in a "restricted Free Agent" status )....I'm suggesting that it will be up to him to decide where he wants to play.

Kstat
04-05-2006, 02:30 PM
So if the Bulls/Raptors offer him "X" amount of dollars......can't the Pacers do the same ( as in offer him the same "X" amount of dollars )?

I'm not suggesting that Peja would have to stay with the Pacers even if the contract offer was the same ( as in a "restricted Free Agent" status )....I'm suggesting that it will be up to him to decide where he wants to play.

He is an UNrestricted free agent. Meaning, no restrictions.

He can sign wherever he wants. Indiana has no claim on him except they can offer him more money.

ahhteeth
04-05-2006, 02:39 PM
S&T Peja along with J.O. for a superstar????? KG??

Kstat
04-05-2006, 02:46 PM
S&T Peja along with J.O. for a superstar????? KG??

BTW you also need Peja's consent to be sign-and-traded. You can't just send him anywhere.

Eindar
04-05-2006, 02:47 PM
I would love to see us get Hinrich, but the Bullls need a big man with a post presence. I could see us trading a re-signed Peja with Harrison for Hinrich and Chandler, though.

rexnom
04-05-2006, 03:18 PM
I would love to see us get Hinrich, but the Bullls need a big man with a post presence. I could see us trading a re-signed Peja with Harrison for Hinrich and Chandler, though.

I also would like to see a deal like that happen but I don't see it happening unless Peja wants to go to Chicago instead of staying and we somehow convince Chicago into a sign-and-trade as opposed to just signing Peja outright. In addition to that, I think Bird likes Peja too much to let something like that happen easily. He will overpay.

Raskolnikov
04-07-2006, 12:08 PM
QOD: http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question.html

Will Pacers Be Able To Re-Sign Peja?

Friday, April 7, 2006
<HR>
If you'd like to pose a Question of the Day to Conrad Brunner, submit it along with your full name and hometown to </I>Bruno's_mailbag@pacers.com (bruno's_mailbag@pacers.com?subject=Mailbag). Brunner’s opinions are his own and do not necessarily reflect those of Pacers players, coaches or management.
</B>

<TABLE borderColor=#003366 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=90 align=left bgColor=#ffcc00 border=2><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/conrad_brunner.jpg QUESTION
OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Q. I'm confused about what Peja Stojakovic's plans are during the offseason. According to The Indianapolis Star this week, Stojakovic will "probably opt out of the final year of his contract and become a free agent this summer." Yet later in the story, Stojakovic said "he's interested in remaining with the Pacers." Is this a predictable strategy by Stojakovic and his agent to increase his market value in the NBA and to the Pacers? Does he really want to remain with Indiana? What gives? (From Patrick in Noblesville, Ind.)
A. That story has caused quite a bit of consternation among Pacers fans, who interpreted it to mean Stojakovic was somehow disenchanted with his situation here and was indicating a desire to sign elsewhere. In fact, it was simply the confirmation of what the Pacers assumed would happen before they made the trade, and what Stojakovic's agent said shortly after his client arrived in Indianapolis. It has been a foregone conclusion for a couple of years that Stojakovic would choose to exercise the option to void the final year of his contract to become a free agent this summer.

That doesn't mean he's unhappy here. In fact, all indications are that he has adapted quite well to the city and the team. He has thrived both on and off the court. In Sacramento, the Kings players are the biggest celebrities in town and have virtually no ability to conduct a private life. That's not the case in Indianapolis, where fans are much better about respecting a player's personal space when he's out in public trying to enjoy a meal, movie or mall. On the court, his game has come back to life. Though the coaching staff is still searching for the best ways to deploy all of its weapons, the potential for a potent, complementary offense is vast.

That leaves the business end of the deal, which can often mess up a good thing (see: Brad Miller). While nothing is certain, fans can take heart in knowing the Collective Bargaining Agreement stacks the rules in favor of teams that want to re-sign their own free agents. As such, the Pacers can not only give Stojakovic a higher salary, but a longer term, than any other team. And make no mistake, they will make every effort to keep him here.

CableKC
04-07-2006, 12:27 PM
^^^When I see Peja in a Pacer uniform in November....then I will believe it.