PDA

View Full Version : What is your least favorite NBA team?

Shade
01-22-2004, 12:03 PM
With all of these new rivalries emerging, and some of the old ones on the verge of renewal, I figured this would be as good a time as any to ask this question.

Will Galen
01-22-2004, 12:21 PM
With all of these new rivalries emerging, and some of the old ones on the verge of renewal, I figured this would be as good a time as any to ask this question.

I voted Knicks, but I dislike the Lakers equally. Mainly I dislike teams that won't give any other team any credit when they get beat by them.

Hicks
01-22-2004, 12:21 PM
:lakers: :whip:

indygeezer
01-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Crap...I didn't see the Lakers on there.

If I could I''d remove my vote for Philly and move it to Lakers...but it's close.

I at least respected the Knicks in the later years....I hated em, but respected their heart.

Ragnar
01-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Philly? whats wrong with Philly yeah Iverson is a crybaby but you have to love his play. He goes into the tree's all the time plays hurt I love his heart.

Hicks
01-22-2004, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I've never had much of a problem with Philly minus Coleman.

ChicagoJ
01-22-2004, 01:24 PM
I hate the Celtics.

It's one of those things - Jay's_Dad@Section222 hated the Celtics after Red Auerbach said all those nasty things about Slick in Sports Illustrated back in the 1970s. So I grew up hating the Celtics - I didn't like the Lakers in the eighties and since CBS thought there were only three teams I liked the Sixers by default.

Fast forward to the 1991 playoffs; game #4. In the Arena Sporting Goods parking lot before the game, Jay's_Dad@Section222 got out of the car, looked at the guy parking next to us - he was wearing a Larry Bird jersey and a Pacers cap, and said, "if you sit near us, you better make up your mind who you're cheering for and it better be the home team." Now Jay's_Dad@Section222 was a football coach/ teacher, so he always knew how to, uh, make his point clear.

Later that night, I'm standing up and cheering for Chuck Person's three-point barrage early in the fourth quarter, and the couple behind are upset that Larry Bird's crosscourt pass to McHale was intercepted and Chuck ran a 1 on 3 fast break to perfection - pulling up and hitting a three in Bird's face. Chuck was thumping his chest and Celtics/ Larry Bird fans are yelling at me to sit down. The arena was so divided that series and the tension in the stands was unlike anything I've seen since.

Anyway, I've always hated everything about the Celtics and, frankly, I have a hard time getting too excited about Larry Bird running the Pacers - I'm confident he'll learn and do a good job but I'll always be afraid that he'll abandon us again. F'ing Celtics. :mad:

Hicks
01-22-2004, 01:30 PM
Oh, and I'm also starting to hate the Hornets because of their big men. A bunch of trash players that purposefully start **** to boost their egos and mess with the other team. They do it because they don't possess the basketball ability to compete. Especially Brown. :mad:

Ragnar
01-22-2004, 01:32 PM
I dont think we have to worry about the Hortnets. Its a good thing we didnt face them in the first round last year.

We probably would have made the second round thus saving Isiah's job

Slick Pinkham
01-22-2004, 01:45 PM
Knicks, Lakers, Knicks, Lakers, Knicks, Lakers,

can't I split my vote??

:mad:

Oh hell,

KNICKS!

Southside_Pacer
01-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Lakers
Celtics
Hornets

It's kinda funny to see New Orleans falling farther and farther behind Indiana and Detroit. :laugh:

BigMac
01-22-2004, 02:12 PM
I dont think we have to worry about the Hortnets. Its a good thing we didnt face them in the first round last year.

We probably would have made the second round thus saving Isiah's job

Funny but true.

bulletproof
01-22-2004, 02:15 PM
Lakers. The players and fans have this grand sense of entitlement. It's really ugly, but funny, too. Because when they're not at the top of their game—like last year or right now—they act wounded and humbled. When they signed Malone and Payton, all that humility evaporated and their true colors came out in full bloom. Just wait until everyone is healthy again on their team. They will be insufferable.

DisplacedKnick
01-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Where's Miami when you need them? That's my "other" vote (though the Lakers are a close 2nd - used to like 'em when I was a kid too).

Shade
01-22-2004, 03:27 PM
Where's Miami when you need them? That's my "other" vote (though the Lakers are a close 2nd - used to like 'em when I was a kid too).

Uh oh. You were okay in my book until you said there was a time in your life that you actually liked the Lakers. :unimpressed:

:buddies:

I kinda liked the Showtime Lakers too. :blush:

But I have always been, and will always be, a Pacers fan first and foremost. :dance:

Shooter
01-22-2004, 03:57 PM
I'll let you guess who I voted for.

indygeezer
01-22-2004, 04:28 PM
SHOOTER

Where did you get that Avatar???? YOU HAVE GOT TO SHARE !!!!!!!!

Shooter
01-22-2004, 04:42 PM
SHOOTER

Where did you get that Avatar???? YOU HAVE GOT TO SHARE !!!!!!!!

I made it myself.
Feel free to copy it.

Suaveness
01-22-2004, 04:48 PM
LAKERS LAKERS LAKERS LAKERS LAKERS LAKERS....I HATE THE ****ING LAKERS....THEY **** ME OFF TO NO END...THE ONLY TEAM THAT COMES CLOSE IS THE YANKESS....BAH :mad:

indygeezer
01-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Oh man you better copywrite that...it's going to be seen all over the "net"!

Now if I only knew how to steal it... :( :blush:

DisplacedKnick
01-22-2004, 05:17 PM

Uh oh. You were okay in my book until you said there was a time in your life that you actually liked the Lakers. :unimpressed:

:buddies:

Jerry West remains my all-time favorite player. Amazing how the players you were drawn to as a kid stick with you. Roger Staubach in football, Tom Seaver in baseball ...

dipperdunk
01-22-2004, 05:41 PM
The Celtics by a mile, everything about that franchise annoys me. From that stupid leprechaun at center court, all of their antics like turning up the heat in the opposing teams locker room but most of all Red Auerbach. From his statements dissing the ABA, ripping Dr.J and Wilt and his homerism is only second to Tom Heinsohn. Hell I even hated Johnny Most, "Havlicek stole the ball" yeah he stole it from the 76ers. :devil: When Auerbach wasn't ripping the 76ers he even managed to find time to rip the Pacers check out this Auerbach quote from an old issue of sports illustrated.

In a quote that appeared in Sports Illustrated, the Celtics' Red Auerbach said that Pacers' coach Slick Leonard was a "bad coach when he was with Baltimore in the NBA and he must be a dog now too." Auerbach also said that "Julius Erving is nice kid but not a great player."

But I do respect their history and all the great players who've played for their organization and they have loyal, passionate fans.

And geezer I'm really disappointed in you. :laugh:

indygeezer
01-22-2004, 06:07 PM
Sorry Dipper...my only real problem is with the fans who are so lipped locked on one player they can't see that there is anyone else on the team, or that he could ever possibly do anything wrong. :angel:

Then again there was that George McGinnis issue a few years back. :mad:

birdman
01-22-2004, 06:10 PM
Always was and always will be the knicks. Not so much now as they used to be, but I'll always remember the days of stark, LJ, and Ewing. The 4 point play :mad: .

ChicagoJ
01-22-2004, 06:32 PM
In a quote that appeared in Sports Illustrated, the Celtics' Red Auerbach said that Pacers' coach Slick Leonard was a "bad coach when he was with Baltimore in the NBA and he must be a dog now too." Auerbach also said that "Julius Erving is nice kid but not a great player.":laugh:

That's the quote I was referring to above.

I've always loved Slick's response...

"I had an expansion team in Baltimore and Auerbach was sitting in Boston with a monster," Slick pointed out. "I've been at odds with him for a long time. I never put him on a pedestal like others. I took a team of rookie players and battled his championship club to four or five point games.

"Ask Kevin Loughery (New York Nets coach) and Rod Thorn (Spirits of St. Louis coach), they were my backcourt. Check Auerbach's record before the Bill Russell era. He never won a championship. The one thing about him is what one guy said to me quite a while ago: 'He's got the biggest mouth and the strongest hands in the NBA. He held onto Russell's jersey for 13 years.'

"He can say all he wants but he was no tactician. He ran a low post with Russell -- that wasn't hard to figure out -- a fast break and with those guys (Bill Sharman, Bob Cousy, K.C. Jones, and Sam Jones) put a little pressure on the ball. There was nothing tactical from him. His comments are so ridiculous.

"The point I'm trying to make is if you can coach, fine. It still takes talent to win. There are no geniuses in this business. There are some better than others. I always considered Red Holzman (New York Knicks coach) a great coach, but he's under a different situation without Willis Reed or Dave DeBusschere. The same with Larry Costello at Milwaukee without Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Oscar Robertson."

http://www.remembertheaba.com/TributeMaterial/Leonard.html and
http://www.remembertheaba.com/ABAArticles/PattisonArticleLeonard.html

Hicks
01-22-2004, 07:33 PM
Slick > Auerbach

Snickers
01-22-2004, 07:36 PM
Slick > Auerbach

:thumbup:

Anthem
01-22-2004, 09:37 PM
Lakers by a mile.

I'm at peace with the knicks. Their day is up but we're still here. Seeing them be a terrible team for so long makes it hard to hate them. Plus the fact that they've had terrible management for so long.

Believe it or not, right now I'm rooting for Thomas to do some good with that team. I think he's an excellent front-office type, and so far he's proving me right.

The Lakers, though, I hate with a passion. Put it this way: they're the only team in the NBA that I will always root against. If the Pacers and Pistons were tied for first place, and all the Pistons needed was one win to beat us in the postseason seedings, and they played their last game of the season against the Lakers, I'd root for the Pistons.

Jose Slaughter
01-22-2004, 11:01 PM
I'm with Displaced Knick on this one.

Gotta be Miami.

They are just so boring it's not even funny.

At least the teams I hate, like the Lakers, have players I enjoy watching. Even with Wade I just can not set thru a Heat game.

ABADays
01-22-2004, 11:07 PM
THE JOSE SLAUGHTER!!!!!!! ONE POST????? WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?

Jose Slaughter
01-22-2004, 11:43 PM
I am now in a reading cycle & posting much less.

One of these days I'm gonna cut loose with a string of meaningless post, much like this one.

;)

Kstat
01-23-2004, 12:02 AM
Celtics, Bulls and Lakers, in that order.

I really don't care WHO plays for them anymore. The Celtics are so very hateable, no matter who's name is on the back.

Antoine Walker is forever stained with the Celtic stench, and is booed repeatedly at the Palace, even as a Mav.........

Maybe the loathing goes back to my childhood days as a fan......

Ah, those were the days. Go to the silverdome, watch people hang a few leprechauns in effegy, and then sometime at the half we'd rip it to pieces.......

Ah, those were the days.

ROCislandWarrior
01-23-2004, 12:07 AM

I really don't care WHO plays for them anymore. The Celtics are so very hateable, no matter who's name is on the back.

Just listening to Tommy Hein-whatever is enough to drive a man to hate the celtics

"AND PAU PEE-*** WAS JUST HAMMERED AND THOSE NO GOOD OFFICIALS ARN"T GIVING HIM ANY RESPECT"

Kstat
01-23-2004, 12:12 AM

Just listening to Tommy Hein-whatever is enough to drive a man to hate the celtics

"AND PAU PEE-*** WAS JUST HAMMERED AND THOSE NO GOOD OFFICIALS ARN"T GIVING HIM ANY RESPECT"

I go back to Jonny Most......in his last senile years of broadcasting.....ugh.

ChicagoJ
01-23-2004, 12:40 AM
I see names like Most, Heinsohn, Auerback and I've just got to say it again.

F^($ the Celtics. :mad: :mad:

ROCislandWarrior
01-23-2004, 12:48 AM
Jonny Most

Is he the guy who said "There's a Steal by Bird" and "Havlicek stole the ball"

forgive me...I am young

Kstat
01-23-2004, 01:05 AM
Jonny Most

Is he the guy who said "There's a Steal by Bird" and "Havlicek stole the ball"

forgive me...I am young

Yes.

pacerpride
01-23-2004, 01:11 AM
I have about equal disdain for the Lakers and the Knicks but I went with the Knicks.

One of my most painful Pacer memory was the LJ 4-point play which reinforced my belief in the conspiracy theory. Starks, LJ, Ewing, Rivers, Bavetta - I can't remember who else I hated back then. Any help out there?

Shade
01-23-2004, 01:21 AM
As of right now:

Lakers 21, everyone else 17

:laugh:

BostonConnection
01-23-2004, 02:10 AM
Tsk, tsk, all these Celtics haters. Now, I haven't been a Celtics fan ever since Bird retired - the current players may be wearing the green, but that's about all they have in common with the Celtics teams of the past.

I still say you take that '85-'86 Boston team of Bird, Parish, McHale, Ainge, and DJ, with Walton off the bench, and I'd be pretty comfortable putting them up against any of the NBA champs of the last 10 years.

Don't worry though - those days as a Celts fan are long,long past for me. :gopacers:

BTW - I've always hated the Lakers :death: :lakers: :death: - that's never changed! :cool:

Anthem
01-23-2004, 12:52 PM
The Lakers, though, I hate with a passion. Put it this way: they're the only team in the NBA that I will always root against. If the Pacers and Pistons were tied for first place, and all the Pistons needed was one win to beat us in the postseason seedings, and they played their last game of the season against the Lakers, I'd root for the Pistons.

I figured I would get hammered for this one.

Nobody disagrees?

Slick Pinkham
01-23-2004, 12:58 PM
Don't worry though - those days as a Celts fan are long, long past for me. :gopacers:

Glad to see that the 12-step program is still working for you, and your de-Celtic-ification is going nicely.

:D

efx
01-23-2004, 01:36 PM
I don't hate any teams, can't let myself get worked up like that about sports. I definately root for certain teams more than others (Pacers for example) and in certain situations but I don't have a specific team that I enjoy suffering.

rushmore
01-23-2004, 01:48 PM
My all time least favorite team is the Utah Jazz. I grew up a Pistons fan, and I've hated Karl Malone ever since he elbowed Zeke in the face...I was always annoyed by Stockton and Hornichek...

Today I voted for LA. I can't stand Kobe, have always hated Malone. I used to dislike Shaq, but I like him now. I also used to like Payton, but seeing him on the Lakers makes me cringe...

Nowadays my least favorite team is whoever is playing the Pacers!

Rushmore

Shade
01-23-2004, 01:59 PM

Nobody disagrees?

I slightly disagree.

I'm a Pacers fan first, and a Lakers hater second. So, in that rare instance, I would root for the Lakers.

Ragnar
01-23-2004, 02:18 PM

Nobody disagrees?

I slightly disagree.

I'm a Pacers fan first, and a Lakers hater second. So, in that rare instance, I would root for the Lakers.

I voted for the Knicks but I would still root for the Pistons over the Lakers.

Of course had you said we were fighting the Knicks for the best record and they were playing the Lakers I would hope the building burned down.

ChicagoJ
01-23-2004, 03:30 PM
... had you said we were fighting the Knicks for the best record and they were playing the Lakers I would hope the building burned down.

Those are the games I cheer for "scoreless ties." (which is something I also hope for when Notre Dame and Michigan play football against each other.)

Hicks
01-23-2004, 04:59 PM

Nobody disagrees?

I slightly disagree.

Same here.

Arcadian
01-23-2004, 06:27 PM
Of current roster's I dislike NJ's the most. They are pretty arrogant. K-mart, Jefferson are really bad. I respect Kidd's game but have little respect for his leadership. Collin's a thug, Harris is too for a guard. And despite all Bryon did for the Pacers I am begining to dislike him, too.