PDA

View Full Version : Carlisle: "Dale would probably be starting for us."

Kstat
04-04-2006, 03:57 PM
http://www.mlive.com/pistons/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1144145427141370.xml&coll=1

Davis ready for first start for Pistons

Tuesday, April 04, 2006
By A. Sherrod Blakely

AUBURN HILLS -- Dale Davis knew his opportunity to get significant playing time for the Detroit Pistons would come.

However, this is not what he had in mind.

Davis is expected to be in the starting lineup tonight in place of Rasheed Wallace, who is serving a one-game suspension for receiving too many technical fouls (16) this season.

Pistons coach Flip Saunders said on Monday that Davis is "more than likely" to be in the starting lineup tonight against the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets.

"He's one of those guys that could step in and be a starter, and you feel good about it," Saunders said.

Davis has appeared in 21 games this season. His last start came during the second round of the playoffs last season with the Indiana Pacers, who were defeated by the Pistons.

Prior to the Pistons' 75-72 win at Indiana on March 24, Pacers coach Rick Carlisle marveled at Detroit's depth that prevented Davis from playing much.

"Dale Davis is sitting over there. He doesn't get into games," Carlisle said. "He'd probably be starting for us."

The 37-year-old Davis knows there are some teams he would start for, and others that he would at least be in their regular playing rotation.

"It's been tough at times (not playing much), but the main thing is winning a championship," Davis said. "And we've been pretty doggone good. Whether I play a lot, or whether I don't, that remains to be seen. But I'm here, ready and prepared, ready to go."

Kstat
04-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Maybe I read too much into that, but I saw it as a little shot at David Harrison.

ChicagoJ
04-04-2006, 04:00 PM
No, just a statement that Rick won't play/ develope the young guys if he's got a veteran to ride until he breaks down.

Rick could've said the same thing about Michael Curry. We all know that's the real Rick Carlisle.

Kstat
04-04-2006, 04:02 PM
Bet you wouldnt object if he tried to start Chuck over Peja... :tongue:

Mourning
04-04-2006, 04:02 PM
I see it as more of a sign of respect for a player that has been with our team for quite some years. The thing is I also have NO DOUBT that Rick would start him at Center above anybody else we have. Has more to do with Rick though in my opinion.

I think DD would play a lot more minutes here (that's beyond doubt). However, I wouldn't want him to start for us. I had rather he would finish games for us.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Since86
04-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Maybe I read too much into that, but I saw it as a little shot at David Harrison.

If it is a shot a DH, then it would be to Foster and Pollard as well.

Personally I don't see it as a shot to anyone, but Dale would be the first choice. He's saying that Dale isn't really needed there, but he would be used here, and if he wanted to play he picked the wrong team.

I don't like RC talking about Dale though. He isn't here, and that's all that matters.

Kegboy
04-04-2006, 04:04 PM
If they do win, I hope Dale at least gets some pt in the playoffs. Pulling a Mitch Richmond is no way to get a ring.

MagicRat
04-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Rick said the same thing on his radio show a couple of months ago......

ChicagoJ
04-04-2006, 04:26 PM
Bet you wouldnt object if he tried to start Chuck over Peja... :tongue:

Well.... uh.... :blush:

Chuck's still the better shooter, especially at crunch time. They've both got bad backs.

:zip:

Diamond Dave
04-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Dale's sitting over there, Saras is sitting here.

Yep Larry and Donnie made the right move this summer. :rolleyes:

Hicks
04-04-2006, 04:29 PM
He probably would be starting over Jeff, yes.

Hicks
04-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Dale's sitting over there, Saras is sitting here.

Yep Larry and Donnie made the right move this summer. :rolleyes:

Saras could have gone to Cleveland and Dale would still be in Detroit.

Seed
04-04-2006, 04:32 PM
I think it is a stupid quote by Rick, and whether it's intended or not, it is just like saying to DH/Foster/Pollard - I don't trust you.

Arcadian
04-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Didn't Davis get paid more than Saras as well?

I'm not real big into the if games but, I think Saras or JJ is a more realistic question.

grace
04-04-2006, 04:37 PM
"Dale Davis is sitting over there. He doesn't get into games," Carlisle said. "He'd probably be starting for us."

No. He'd be injured. You know I'm right.

Unclebuck
04-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Sounds to me like Rick knows how valuable Dale davis is.

Brian
04-04-2006, 04:57 PM
I dont see what the big deal is.Rick and Larry said this about 2 days after Dale Signed with DET.

But some people would rather ride a bench and win a championship,than play the game.

Diamond Dave
04-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Saras could have gone to Cleveland and Dale would still be in Detroit.

Two things I beleive:

1) Dale would have gone to Detroit no matter what. And who can blame him. No one wants to play for us.

2) No one even made Dale an offer, because Larry Legend thought we need another slow sub par point guard.

Diamond Dave
04-04-2006, 05:14 PM

I'm not real big into the if games but, I think Saras or JJ is a more realistic question.

I'm not sure on the actual figures, but according to RealGM there are a 166 players that make more than Dale in the league. There are 150 over Saras.

Kstat
04-04-2006, 05:17 PM

Saras gets 4 million for each of the next three seasons, Dale gets 3.5 million each of the next 2 seasons.

Mourning
04-04-2006, 05:32 PM
2) No one even made Dale an offer, because Larry Legend thought we need another slow sub par point guard.

Larry was right or did you REALLY want to see Gill be the back up guard behind AJ all those games this season. Besides, Sarunas maybe slow, but I refuse to call him sub par. Especially not after such a short trial.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Seed
04-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Two things I beleive:

1) Dale would have gone to Detroit no matter what. And who can blame him. No one wants to play for us.

1) Saras did. Oh, that was maybe due to his slow sub par thinking.

2) :sleep:

Sollozzo
04-04-2006, 05:59 PM
1) Saras did. Oh, that was maybe due to his slow sub par thinking.

2) :sleep:

I would bet you anything that had Saras had the choice to do it over, he would sign with Cleveland in a heartbeat.

I feel kind of sorry for him.

What were some of his quotes last year? Something along the lines of "I want to be a Pacer because I think they have the best shot at a title" :laugh:

Evan_The_Dude
04-04-2006, 06:10 PM
What were some of his quotes last year? Something along the lines of "I want to be a Pacer because I think they have the best shot at a title" :laugh:

Him along with this entire forum....

Hicks
04-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Two things I beleive:

2) No one even made Dale an offer, because Larry Legend thought we need another slow sub par point guard and knew Dale was gone anyway.

Fixed. ;)

Hicks
04-04-2006, 06:42 PM

Most of it, yeah.

Mourning
04-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Absolutely. Me too :arrgh:

Sollozzo
04-04-2006, 06:50 PM

A large chunk of it? Yes.

But many people weren't sold on this team at all. I never thought this team would win a championship. I never thought that we could take Detroit or Miami. Did I think we would be this bad? Of course not.

But to think we could put all of the crap from last year behind us with that certain core of players that we had and go for a title was foolish. Anyone that had watched this team over the past couple of years knew that this was an extremely fragile crew. Saras obviously had to do homework before signing with a team, I still can't understand why he decided to sign here......when he would have had a much better chance at starting in Cleveland, not to mention play with his best friend Z and a top 3 player in the game.

ChicagoJ
04-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Not everyone.

:whistle:

:cry:

indytoad
04-04-2006, 07:22 PM
See, pessimism has its perks.

IndyToad
Totally

ChicagoJ
04-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Yeah, you get to hang out with Toad and Jay.

:yikes:

Eindar
04-04-2006, 08:17 PM
This is exactly why Carlisle MUST go if we decide to blow up the team. He will always play veterans over rookies, because he would rather win a little now than a lot later. He absolutely doesn't care about developing players, and that's one of the reasons they ran him out of Detroit.

SoupIsGood
04-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Man, if he was going to start Dale all year, I'm glad he went to Detroit.

Sollozzo
04-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Man, if he was going to start Dale all year, I'm glad he went to Detroit.

Dale wouldn't have been able to start the entire year. He would have worn down.....not his fault, he's aged.

We all saw during the Detroit series that he was starting to wear down a little after starting here for 2 straight months.

SoupIsGood
04-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Dale wouldn't have been able to start the entire year. He would have worn down.....not his fault, he's aged.

We all saw during the Detroit series that he was starting to wear down a little after starting here for 2 straight months.

This is why I'm glad he's not in Rick's hands. He would have tried that, and screwed us in the playoffs.

Bball
04-05-2006, 02:38 AM
I still believe, at least in part, Dumars wanted Dale so the Pacers couldn't have him.

-Bball

Diamond Dave
04-05-2006, 09:19 AM
This is why I'm glad he's not in Rick's hands. He would have tried that, and screwed us in the playoffs.

:laugh:

As opposed to the fast track to victory he has us on now, with the same old combo of Jeff and JO.

Indyfan
04-05-2006, 09:26 AM
This is exactly why Carlisle MUST go if we decide to blow up the team. He will always play veterans over rookies, because he would rather win a little now than a lot later. He absolutely doesn't care about developing players, and that's one of the reasons they ran him out of Detroit.

Hello, have you watched Danny Granger this year? Rick has played Harrison and Saras a lot also. He just wants players to earn their minutes, and when young players do that he plays them. Let it go.

Indyfan
04-05-2006, 09:27 AM
I still believe, at least in part, Dumars wanted Dale so the Pacers couldn't have him.

-Bball

Bingo. Also I don't think Dale got an offer from LB, but I could be wrong?

D-BONE
04-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Yes Dale obviously left in pursuit of a championship and knowing full well this group was nowhere near mentally capable of competing for one.

Can you blame him? A veteran professional knows better than to stay on a sinking ship playing alongside mostly clowns. He new the drop-off in maturity and professionalism that was coming after Reggie's departure. He could read the writing on the wall: "Danger! Highly Volatile Chemistry Situation Likely to Blow Up in Pacers Face".

Diamond Dave
04-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Yes Dale obviously left in pursuit of a championship and knowing full well this group was nowhere near mentally capable of competing for one.

Can you blame him? A veteran professional knows better than to stay on a sinking ship playing alongside mostly clowns. He new the drop-off in maturity and professionalism that was coming after Reggie's departure. He could read the writing on the wall: "Danger! Highly Volatile Chemistry Situation Likely to Blow Up in Pacers Face".

Thats exactly why I think he would have turned down nearly any sum of money to play here.

Combine that with fact that he is good friends with Sheed.