PDA

View Full Version : NBA Draft 2006 Draft question

CableKC
04-04-2006, 02:31 PM
Currently, we have the 17th pick in the Draft.

Various NBA draft sites have us picking the following players:

HoopsHype - 19th pick - Randy Foye (SG)
NbaDraft.net - 19th pick - Glen Davis (PF)
DraftExpress.com - 17th pick - Randy Foye (SG)

Anyone know anything about this Randy Foye kid?

With the way the draft stock of various players that did well in the NCAA Tournament....like Tyrus Thomas or Joakim Noah....there maybe some decent ( but not outstanding ) yet solid players that drop all the way to the Pacers. The draft may not have any future superstars....but if Walsh/Bird do their homework....we maybe able to get a decent yet solid player for the future.

Any thoughts?

BTW....it would be nice to dream of a player that will likely be picked in the top 10......but players like Rudy Gay or Brandon Roy aren't likely to drop to the 17th spot. Steals like Granger don't pop up that often.

Slick Pinkham
04-04-2006, 02:48 PM
I like Big Baby's footwork, touch, postup ability, and other skills but he is out of gas after running up and down the court twice.

If anyone could get him in shape he could be good.

Or he could be Tractor Traylor or Hot Plate Williams or a shorter Oliver Miller.

Kaufman
04-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Just want to get this out there before someone calls me out on it - yes Rajon Rondo announced today he is going to hire an agent and intends to make himself eligible for the draft. :blush:

Not that I think he'd be good for the Pacers. Can't comment further on that issue.

Slick Pinkham
04-04-2006, 03:01 PM
I think Redick will slide on draft day, and I think he will be a solid but not spectacular pro. He would be a good find for someone picking in the teens, probably before 17.

Rondo is a really good athlete, but I have difficulty finding it desirable at all to pick guards that can't shoot very well.

Swingman
04-04-2006, 03:07 PM
I would like.....

Rudy Fernandez (SG) - 6'6 172
Rajon Rondo (PG) - 6'2 171 (only if we have traded some of our other PGs)
Richard Roby (SG) - 6'6 190
Maurice Ager (SG) - 6'4 202
Al Horford (PF) - 6'9 235

2nd Round
Paul Davis (C) - 6'10 260 (not sure he'd fall to us but possible)
James White (SG) - 6'7 190

Since86
04-04-2006, 03:15 PM
Randy Foye would be a solid pick.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=11153

Swingman
04-04-2006, 03:18 PM
NBA draft has him going at #9. Not sure how happy I can be with a tweener though. Too small for SG and not a PG. Fred Jones is good enough to be our tweener.

FrenchConnection
04-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Just want to get this out there before someone calls me out on it - yes Rajon Rondo announced today he is going to hire an agent and intends to make himself eligible for the draft. :blush:

Not that I think he'd be good for the Pacers. Can't comment further on that issue.

You were right in that Rondo should not be going pro until he develops a better jump shot...

Doug
04-04-2006, 03:25 PM
I want the best SG available.

And my #1 criteria when selecting a shooting guard is the ability to shoot. #2 would be enough quickness, height, and length to defend other SGs. We probably won't get both of those from where we pick.

The ability to beat his man off of the dribble is not required. I can get slashing from my SF.

Mourning
04-04-2006, 03:28 PM
NBA draft has him going at #9. Not sure how happy I can be with a tweener though. Too small for SG and not a PG. Fred Jones is good enough to be our tweener.

I don't think Freddie will be resigned, so that alone might make Randy Foye a candidate that Pacers scouts are seriously looking at.

bmac
04-04-2006, 03:29 PM
If we are going big I want Eric Hicks. If we are going for a point guard.......then I have no friggin idea of who to pick. I can't think of any NBA caliber points out there. Dee Brown is the only one I can think of and he isn't a half-court kind of guy, I don't see him as some great assist man.

Mourning
04-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Btw might it not be better for the Pacers to trade away this years pick together with a player who we would sign and trade (Freddie?) for a higher pick next year?

From what I have heard this years crop is not going to be much good anyway, certainly not compared to what I have heard becomes eligible for the draft in 2007.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

CableKC
04-04-2006, 04:11 PM
I like Big Baby's footwork, touch, postup ability, and other skills but he is out of gas after running up and down the court twice.

If anyone could get him in shape he could be good.

Or he could be Tractor Traylor or Hot Plate Williams or a shorter Oliver Miller.
The first thing that I thought of when I saw the profile for Big Baby is that the guy is way overweight. Short PF ( 6'8" ) that weigh 310 pounds is a future Oliver Miller waiting to happen.

CableKC
04-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Anyone know who the top perimeter defenders at the PG/SG/SF are for the draft?

IMHO...we need roleplayers ( Rebounders / shotblockers / defenders ) more then we need shooters or scorers.

Since86
04-04-2006, 04:20 PM
The first thing that I thought of when I saw the profile for Big Baby is that the guy is way overweight. Short PF ( 6'8" ) that weigh 310 pounds is a future Oliver Miller waiting to happen.

Although I don't think he'll make a good pro, he's on the far end of the spectrum from Oliver Miller. Their weight is the only comparison.

Davis is an extremely athletic man for being that big. He moves with fluidity, and has very quick feet. He gets up and down the court without struggling, and has an array of dribbling moves.

If he was 2-3 inches taller, at that weight, he would be a big time prospect. His weight isn't his downside, it's his height.

CableKC
04-04-2006, 04:24 PM
I guess that this leads to the obvious question....do we draft the best player available ( the likely choice )?

or

Do we draft for position / need?

The standard answer would be to draft the best player available and sort out the mess afterwards. But unless a lottery pick drops all the way to the 17th+ spot....I would guess that its a safe bet to assume that we wouldn't draft a SF and ( to a lesser degree ) a Center in the 1st round.

That said....based off of what you think will happen in the offseason...whether we resign Freddie, Peja, both or neither......what position/players would you consider in the draft?

Kaufman
04-04-2006, 04:25 PM
You were right in that Rondo should not be going pro until he develops a better jump shot...

I can't make comment on Rajon, given my professional situation. I think that he needs more game maturing in college though, I can say that.

Hicks
04-04-2006, 04:43 PM

Yep. Don't want him. We already have Fred, and he's probably going to leave because we don't want him that badly.

Hicks
04-04-2006, 04:47 PM
If we are going big I want Eric Hicks.

I don't know who this guy is, but I'd buy his jersey. :D

CableKC
04-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Odd, in the span of 3 hours........NBADraft.net moved the Pacers up to the 15th spot picking up Al Horford ( PF ) from Florida.

8.9_seconds
04-04-2006, 05:33 PM
James Augustine...

Mourning
04-04-2006, 05:34 PM
So, I guess no one likes the idea of trading this years pick and say Freddie in a sign & trade for a (much) higher and very likely a much better pick next year when the draft is said to be much deeper? :hmm:

Regards,

CableKC
04-04-2006, 05:44 PM
IMHO...I think that we need to draft a 3rd string PG or SG.

Jermaniac
04-04-2006, 05:45 PM
1st round - LEON POWE - A PF that can score in the paint and back up JO, no more Austin Croshere backing up the 4.
2nd round - SEAN DOCKERY - Can defend better then any guard on our team. We need him, its AJ but he is better.

Will Galen
04-04-2006, 05:47 PM
So, I guess no one likes the idea of trading this years pick and say Freddie in a sign & trade for a (much) higher and very likely a much better pick next year when the draft is said to be much deeper? :hmm:

Regards,

It's not feasible. Teams aren't going to trade potential lottery picks, especially next years.

CableKC
04-04-2006, 05:48 PM

Regards,

Depends on whether we resign Peja or not. If we don't resign Peja...then I would want to keep Freddie as the primary backup SG. If we resign Peja.....which I doubt.......then I wouldn't mind moving up in the draft to get a better pick.

Jose Slaughter
04-04-2006, 05:59 PM
TPTB most likely will select the best player they can get. Even if that means moving up to get him.

After that, we start to sort out the mess that is our current team.

Swingman
04-04-2006, 06:11 PM
Odd, in the span of 3 hours........NBADraft.net moved the Pacers up to the 15th spot picking up Al Horford ( PF ) from Florida.

They must have saw my post and that I listed Al Horford vbg:buddies:

CableKC
04-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Unless a steal drops down to the Pacers...I would prefer to sign a PG/SG in the 1st round and sign a backup C/PF ( hint hint Francisco Elson ).

CableKC
04-04-2006, 06:53 PM
They must have saw my post and that I listed Al Horford vbg:buddies:
I see some Mock drafts where Joakim Noah is the top pick and then others where he is still a 7 to 10 pick.

For those that actually know something about drafting College players......are players like Al Horford, Joakim Noah ( or anyone else from FSU that is entering the draft ) worth a very high draft pick as they wouldn't have ranked so high if it weren't for winning the NCAA Championship?

I'm just thinking that college players that were sure-fire lottery picks that were affected by their team's early exits would still be decent players to draft.

18to88
04-04-2006, 07:47 PM
Horford and Big Baby say they are staying in college.

sweabs
04-04-2006, 07:52 PM
I see that some mock drafts (as useless as they may be) have Shelden Williams sliding to somewhere around our pick. If he was available, man would I be happy. And I think there are some posters here that would agree with me :)

As far as PG's go, I like the potential of Rondo but I also really like Marcus Williams from UCONN. I'd be thrilled to get either one of them.

This draft doesn't really have the instant superstars in it, but it's going to be pretty full of guys who can step in and contribute, and who will be solid pro players.

SoupIsGood
04-04-2006, 09:10 PM
I like Ronnie Brewer, Powe, Rondo, Fernandez

Frank Slade
04-04-2006, 09:56 PM
I would like.....

Rudy Fernandez (SG) - 6'6 172
Rajon Rondo (PG) - 6'2 171 (only if we have traded some of our other PGs)
Richard Roby (SG) - 6'6 190
Maurice Ager (SG) - 6'4 202
Al Horford (PF) - 6'9 235

2nd Round
Paul Davis (C) - 6'10 260 (not sure he'd fall to us but possible)
James White (SG) - 6'7 190

Yes although still a little unpolished.. I really like Richard Roby,
as well as Mardy Collins , Ronnie Brewer.. also a reach as he is projected as a 2nd rounder but Guillermo Diaz is very interesting gamble.... Shelden Williams may actually drop this far.. but he really scares me in a bad way.... partly to the whole Duke to NBA underachiever thing

owl
04-04-2006, 11:00 PM

I seem to remember you saying Rondo was not going pro :-0
I am not overly enamored with him either. Pacers need a lot of things
and shooting and athleticism are at the top if the list. Some basketball
smarts would also be very helpful.

owl

owl

sweabs
04-04-2006, 11:03 PM
Man, would Shelden Williams ever look good in a Pacers jersey............

owl
04-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Anyone know who the top perimeter defenders at the PG/SG/SF are for the draft?

IMHO...we need roleplayers ( Rebounders / shotblockers / defenders ) more then we need shooters or scorers.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

owl said.."James White in the second round for shooting guard

6'7" 190. Runner up in the slam dunk competition. Should have won.
Has a good handle. Has good shooting percentages.

http://nbadraft.net/profiles/jameswhite.asp

I would also like to see the Pacers get Terrell Everett with an additonal
second rounder. Big, left handed guard who has a great handle and can
penetrate and dish

http://nbadraft.net/profiles/terrelleverett.asp

Justin Williams would be good in the second also.

I really would like to see the Pacers pick up another second rounder to
replenish the depth on the team.

Steve Novak as another shooter off the bench.

I am ready to trade anyone except Granger. Agile big men like Tyrus Thomas
or Joakim Noah is what he Pacers need. Shelden Williams is better than
Harrison now.

owl

HulkSmash!
04-04-2006, 11:48 PM
From a basketball standpoint, Marcus Williams is who I'd want the Pacers to pick. He's a highly skilled point guard, he has the natural point guard abilities of a Mark Jackson, with the shooting touch of a Chauncey Billups. However he's got a major flaw - his OFFCOURT ISSUES. Not exactly what this team should be looking for, but if a talent as gifted as Marcus Williams is available when we pick, he'd be hard to pass up on.

I also wouldn't mind J.J. Redick. The big complaint with J.J. is his percieved one-dimensional offense. However I'll say the same thing I said about Peja - when you can dominate with your one-dimension, you don't need any more. J.J. has shown he can dominate in college, and I'm pretty confident he can be a great scorer in the NBA, in the range of 16-22 ppg on efficient, consistent shooting.

Kaufman
04-04-2006, 11:51 PM
OH GOD EVERYBODY, seth is back.

Kaufman
04-04-2006, 11:52 PM
Hey Seth... Or should we call you DG33?

Jermaniac
04-04-2006, 11:57 PM
Man, would Shelden Williams ever look good in a Pacers jersey............Bust

sweabs
04-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Bust

Um...he's not in the NBA.

Have you seen him play? He's one of the best at boxing out and grabbing rebounds. He blocks a ton of shots in the paint. He didn't get the nickname "The Landlord" for nothing...he controls the paint. But once again, and I stress, he knows how to box out and get rebounds! What a concept!

HulkSmash!
04-05-2006, 02:39 AM
Shelden Williams is Carlos Boozer + big time shot blocking. He's easily capable of putting up 17/11 with 2-3 blocks in the NBA. If he falls to us, Donnie Walsh has got the steal of the draft for the 3rd year in a row. And with the stupidity of NBA GM's passing over proven seniors because of their alleged lack of upside, I could see it happening.

owl
04-05-2006, 07:56 AM
I would trade up to get Williams. Send Harrison in trade from Shelden.
A no nonsense player who rebounds and scores better than Harrison.
Pacers badly need rebounding and defense from the center spot and
Harrison is not the answer.

owl

HulkSmash!
04-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Paul Milsap
http://www.draftexpress.com/headshots/paulmillsap.jpghttp://nbadraft.net/profiles/headshots/paul-millsap-hd.jpg
MIN PTS REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF FG% FT% 3P% PPS
34.1 19.6 13.3 1.1 2.5 .43 1.9 2.3 3.1 .571 .623 .357 1.43

After leaving a lasting legacy in a Louisiana Bulldog uniform, superstar junior forward Paul Millsap announced Tuesday afternoon held at the Charles Wyly Athletic Center that he will be leaving school early to enter the 2006 NBA Draft.

“This is an important and great day for Paul and his family,” Tech head coach Keith Richard said. “He’s looked hard at his options, and he’s made his decision, and I support him 100 percent in his pursuit of his NBA dreams.”

As of today, Millsap has become the first athlete in the history of college basketball to win the NCAA National Rebounding Championship three straight years after averaging 13.3 boards per game. He led the nation after averaging 12.5 rebounds per game and also as a sophomore at 12.4 rpg.

According to a statement by Millsap, the junior’s decision to leave early is “(to help my mother) enjoy the life she deserves.”

“It’s been a privilege to watch Paul practice and play for the past three years,” Richard said. “More so than any other player I’ve had, I think he has the best chance to be the first player I’ve coached to play in the NBA. I’m very excited for him.”

Millsap leaves the Bulldogs as the second leading rebounder in school history at 1,172 career boards and seventh in scoring with 1,709 points. His 26 double-doubles this past season also lead the NCAA.

Jermaniac
04-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Um...he's not in the NBA.

Have you seen him play? He's one of the best at boxing out and grabbing rebounds. He blocks a ton of shots in the paint. He didn't get the nickname "The Landlord" for nothing...he controls the paint. But once again, and I stress, he knows how to box out and get rebounds! What a concept!Yeah boxing out Timmy Johnson from Tulsa at 6-8 and 145 lbs. Beast.

HulkSmash!
04-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Shelden is listed at a stout 6'9" 255 lb., he'll be able to hold his own against any PF in the NBA.
A lot of the scouting reports compared him to Alonzo Mourning. I'd be estatic if he were still available when the Pacers picked, but I don't see it happening.

sweabs
04-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Yeah boxing out Timmy Johnson from Tulsa at 6-8 and 145 lbs. Beast.

Jermaine O'Neal:

Yeah, boxing out Michael Sweetney on the Bulls at 6-8, and Andres Nocioni at 6-7. Beast.

Oh wait - he couldn't do that.

Jermaniac
04-05-2006, 11:53 AM
I bet my life you didnt see the game.

Sweets - 19 minutes 4 boards
Tyson - 33 minutes 6 boards

Nocioni - Fosters Man - 12 boards. Watch the games and then open your mouth.

sweabs
04-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Shelden is listed at a stout 6'9" 255 lb., he'll be able to hold his own against any PF in the NBA.
A lot of the scouting reports compared him to Alonzo Mourning. I'd be estatic if he were still available when the Pacers picked, but I don't see it happening.

I agree with you. He's a dominating physical prescence down low...something that we really lack right now. I could see him having a Dale Davis-like effect when he joined the team, but with the potential for a little more offense.

We just desperately need a guy who approaches the game like Shelden does down low in the paint.

sweabs
04-05-2006, 11:55 AM
I bet my life you didnt see the game.

Listened to it. And funny enough, the one thing Slick kept saying over and over again was to "clean the boards, Jermaine!!!"

And does it really matter if I saw last night's game or not? It's a recurring theme that has been happening throughout his entire career. Maybe the whole boxing out thing has to do with getting physical...it's as if Jermaine doesn't like getting aggressive or physical people.

Jermaniac
04-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Fosters man had 12 boards, so it looks like he couldnt box out either.

Its hard to box out when your guards cant guard a chair and you have to try to block every shot. You didnt watch the game so you cant see any of this, so its done.

HulkSmash!
04-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Could you imagine a JO/Shelden Williams front court? Even better could you imagine the combined foreheads on a JO/Shelden Williams front court? They'd be constantly bumping heads on the court.

sweabs
04-05-2006, 12:02 PM

Its hard to box out when your guards cant guard a chair and you have to try to block every shot. You didnt watch the game so you cant see any of this, so its done.

Like I said, I didn't need to see this game to know that JO can't or won't box out his man.

But whatever - I guess since I didn't see it I won't post my thoughts on the team. What do I know? Listening to the game on the radio is not good enough...I won't post my thoughts then.

Jermaniac
04-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Like I said, I didn't need to see this game to know that JO can't or won't box out his man.

But whatever - I guess since I didn't see it I won't post my thoughts on the team. What do I know? Listening to the game on the radio is not good enough...I won't post my thoughts then.Okay

Diamond Dave
04-05-2006, 12:34 PM

Its hard keep your man from getting 12 boards when you have to try to box out two men.

Oh, and before you ask. Saw the game, see every game.

CableKC
04-05-2006, 12:50 PM
I went through some RealGM thread about Defensive Minded College players and came up with this list:

Aaron Affalo
Bobby Jones
Chris Rodgers
Corey Brewer
Erroll Knight
Joakim Noah
Mardy Collins
Rajon Rondo
Ronnie Brewer
Sean Williams
Tyrus Thomas

Anyone have any idea about who any of these players are and whether any of them can fall to the 2nd round?

Jermaniac
04-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Its hard keep your man from getting 12 boards when you have to try to box out two men.

Oh, and before you ask. Saw the game, see every game.No try again.

Diamond Dave
04-05-2006, 01:37 PM
No try again.

Oh, and before you ask. Saw the game, see every game.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

PacerMan
04-05-2006, 02:58 PM
Although I don't think he'll make a good pro, he's on the far end of the spectrum from Oliver Miller. Their weight is the only comparison.

Davis is an extremely athletic man for being that big. He moves with fluidity, and has very quick feet. He gets up and down the court without struggling, and has an array of dribbling moves.

If he was 2-3 inches taller, at that weight, he would be a big time prospect. His weight isn't his downside, it's his height.

Oliver MIller was VERY skilled and had very good feet as well. If he had been able to keep his weight under control he would have been a very good player for a lot of years. All star for a few.
They are WAY similar.

PacerMan
04-05-2006, 02:59 PM

Regards,

uh, HELL no.

owl
04-05-2006, 08:28 PM
rcarey said...."We just desperately need a guy who approaches the game like Shelden does down low in the paint."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

I am with you on that sentiment. The Pacers need smarter and more
durable players and Williams brings that plus defense.

As far as trading into next years lottery I would do that if the player or
players you wanted are gone. There are good players in the second round.

Novak***
Everrett**
Williams**
White****

owl

CableKC
04-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Which player position is easier to transition from the NCAA to the NBA?

I've always heard that Big Men....unless they are clearly talented.....take much longer to transition their game to the NBA as long as they are given the proper minutes ( Harrison is living proof of that ). Isn't it sort of the same thing with PGs....unless they are one of the top 3 PGs in the draft......its a cr@pshoot as to whether they will really pan out?

Barring picking up a sure-fire draftpick ( like Granger ) in the mid rounds.....and given that the college player has the height and size....isn't it better to draft either a SG or SF...as its more of a safer ( of course, not guaranteed ) bet that they will transition their game into the NBA?

I've been thinking of the offseason...and trying to figure out which type of player would best fit our needs...and unless another "Granger" like player falls into our laps.....I'm thinking that it maybe better to draft a SG (mainly to develop and eventually take the spot that Freddie will likely vacate when he bolts for Free Agency ) if a decent PF isn't available.

BoomBaby31
04-06-2006, 07:48 PM
I hope we get another steal like we did last in with Granger. I'm glad we are getting out of our mode of picking these no name Australian guys that go to camp and disappear.

Williams would be awesome but, don't trade Harrison to get him; I believe Harrison is really going to be something special next year. Williams is going to be a Shane Battier.

I don't understand why so many people are saying Reddick isn't going to be a good pro, I feel he will be excellant; do you see where he is shooting from? near half court lol. WAY BEYOND EVEN THE NBA THREE POINT LINE. The kid can shoot, and that isn't just going to disappear in the NBA. The aren't wide open shots, the shots Reddick makes is with 2-3 guys on him.

Morrison is sorta over rated; don't get be wrong grab him if you can but, he is going to disappear in 3 years of the nba. Reddick will stay around, he'll fall into a role just like Chris Mullen WONDERFUL shooter. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the Pacers Jersey. Reddick will go 4-6, Aldridge (texas) is going first and Morrison probably second.

CableKC
04-06-2006, 07:53 PM
I hope we get another steal like we did last in with Granger. I'm glad we are getting out of our mode of picking these no name Australian guys that go to camp and disappear.

Williams would be awesome but, don't trade Harrison to get him; I believe Harrison is really going to be something special next year. Williams is going to be a Shane Battier.

I don't understand why so many people are saying Reddick isn't going to be a good pro, I feel he will be excellant; do you see where he is shooting from? near half court lol. WAY BEYOND EVEN THE NBA THREE POINT LINE. The kid can shoot, and that isn't just going to disappear in the NBA. The aren't wide open shots, the shots Reddick makes is with 2-3 guys on him.

Morrison is sorta over rated; don't get be wrong grab him if you can but, he is going to disappear in 3 years of the nba. Reddick will stay around, he'll fall into a role just like Chris Mullen WONDERFUL shooter. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the Pacers Jersey. Reddick will go 4-6, Aldridge (texas) is going first and Morrison probably second.
If Reddick is on the board when we likely draft.......probably the 15-17 spot....then he would be a decent pickup as a backup SG assuming there is not other player that unexpectedly drops to the Pacers again....unless there is some solid PF that can be had.

skyfire
04-06-2006, 08:07 PM
I'm glad we are getting out of our mode of picking these no name Australian guys that go to camp and disappear.

Erm...the only Aussie to be drafted in the last few years was Andrew Bogut. That trend died off several years ago.

In the 2nd round, Australian Brad Newley, could be a good potential pick. 6'6, long, athletic, can shoot from range. Needs to improve defense and bulk up abit, but is only 21.

obnoxiousmodesty
04-06-2006, 09:55 PM
When considering whom to draft, I think it'd be interesting to know what positions of need the Pacers have first. To know that, we have to know what players are still going to be here after the summer ends.

Point Guard: Are Donnie and Larry going to trade Tinsley, making room for Sarunas or AJ to be the starting PG, or are they going to trade for a starting PG, draft a starting PG, or is Tinsley going to have the opportunity to prove his worth next season?

Shooting Guard: Is Stephen worth the trouble? Sure he can be a fantastic scorer and defender, but he also has trouble keeping his mind on the game, and his shot is streaky. Meanwhile, Fred is probably heading elsewhere. It appears that the Pacers are going to need at least a capable backup SG.

Small Forward: This a position that doesn't have outstanding needs. Danny Granger is a very capable player. If Peja doesn't re-sign, then DG is our man. If Peja does re-sign, then perhaps DG plays the backup role here as well as at PF. If Peja doesn't re-sign, then maybe the Pacers start Danny and use Austin Croshere as a backup. Lots of possibilites at this position.

Power Forward: Barring a trade, Jermaine is obviously the starting PF. There isn't a designated backup here though. Danny, Austin, Jeff, and probably another player or two can be the subsitute 4, but the Pacers certainly could use a young PF to learn behind an All-Star.

Center: Several players have played this position. David, Jeff, Scot, Jermaine, and even Austin. All played that position to varying degrees of effectiveness from one time to another. Do the Pacers need another center? Good question.

While we can accumulate lists of possible players, it is very possible that the Pacers will take the most talented player remaining. With potential holes to fill at a variety of spots, who knows what moves the team may make after the draft. The roster could be very different next season, or it could look relatively similar.

The Pacers are going to have a mid-first round pick. So, I'm going to leave off players destined to go in the lottery. I do not have any information on any international players, so they don't make my list. Some of these players are underclassmen. My short list includes, in order of preference:

Al Horford (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=24424) F 6'9" 242lbs.
Brandon Roy (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=11305) SG 6'6" 210lbs.
Marcus Williams (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=15343) PG 6'3" 205lbs.
Hilton Armstrong (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=11222) F/C 6'11" 235lbs.

Frank Slade
04-07-2006, 09:12 AM
I really do like Marcus Willams, has some baggage, but good Basketball IQ , and can really run an offsense well, and yes he is a pass-first PG.

He's only 20 so good amount of upside.

Hicks
04-07-2006, 10:15 AM
We need to draft someone without baggage a la Danny Granger.

Since86
04-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Oliver MIller was VERY skilled and had very good feet as well. If he had been able to keep his weight under control he would have been a very good player for a lot of years. All star for a few.
They are WAY similar.

Oliver Miller may have had very good feet, but he has extremely slow feet to go along with it.

Notice I said Big Baby has QUICK feet, not just good feet. Davis isn't a typical post up player. He sets up in the high post for a jumper, or he takes his man off the dribble.

The only thing Oliver Miller can dribble is food off of his chin.

Davis was a nationally recruited tailback in HS. He man moves like he weighs 70lbs less than what he really does. Miller can barely move in general.

The comparisons are hardly close.

If Oliver Miller was shorter too, he could of been a guard.

Hicks
04-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Random trivia: A certain prominant member of PD compared David Harrison to Oliver Miller on draft night.

Slick Pinkham
04-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Charles Barkley mocked Oliver Miller for his leaping ability. "You can't even jump high enough to touch the rim," he declared one day, "unless they put a Big Mac on it!"

FWIW:
Like PacerMan I’m remembering Oliver Miller as a rather skilled big man who just could never keep the weight off. Skillwise he was an NBA player.

His hoopshype bio is accurate IMO:

http://www.hoopshype.com/players/oliver_miller.htm

a talented center, good shooting touch, excellent passing skills for his position, long arms, good shot-blocker in the past, has always had serious weight problems, lacks mobility.

CableKC
04-07-2006, 04:21 PM
When considering whom to draft, I think it'd be interesting to know what positions of need the Pacers have first. To know that, we have to know what players are still going to be here after the summer ends.

Point Guard: Are Donnie and Larry going to trade Tinsley, making room for Sarunas or AJ to be the starting PG, or are they going to trade for a starting PG, draft a starting PG, or is Tinsley going to have the opportunity to prove his worth next season?

Shooting Guard: Is Stephen worth the trouble? Sure he can be a fantastic scorer and defender, but he also has trouble keeping his mind on the game, and his shot is streaky. Meanwhile, Fred is probably heading elsewhere. It appears that the Pacers are going to need at least a capable backup SG.

Small Forward: This a position that doesn't have outstanding needs. Danny Granger is a very capable player. If Peja doesn't re-sign, then DG is our man. If Peja does re-sign, then perhaps DG plays the backup role here as well as at PF. If Peja doesn't re-sign, then maybe the Pacers start Danny and use Austin Croshere as a backup. Lots of possibilites at this position.

Power Forward: Barring a trade, Jermaine is obviously the starting PF. There isn't a designated backup here though. Danny, Austin, Jeff, and probably another player or two can be the subsitute 4, but the Pacers certainly could use a young PF to learn behind an All-Star.

Center: Several players have played this position. David, Jeff, Scot, Jermaine, and even Austin. All played that position to varying degrees of effectiveness from one time to another. Do the Pacers need another center? Good question.

While we can accumulate lists of possible players, it is very possible that the Pacers will take the most talented player remaining. With potential holes to fill at a variety of spots, who knows what moves the team may make after the draft. The roster could be very different next season, or it could look relatively similar.

The Pacers are going to have a mid-first round pick. So, I'm going to leave off players destined to go in the lottery. I do not have any information on any international players, so they don't make my list. Some of these players are underclassmen. My short list includes, in order of preference:

Al Horford (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=24424) F 6'9" 242lbs.
Brandon Roy (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=11305) SG 6'6" 210lbs.
Marcus Williams (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=15343) PG 6'3" 205lbs.
Hilton Armstrong (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=11222) F/C 6'11" 235lbs.
If a very solid player that Bird/Walsh are very high on somehow drops to the Pacers.....then we draft the best player available....regardless of the position.

However....if the best players are already taken by the 15+ spot....then I would hope that we can draft based off of need.

In terms of need, I rank the positions as follows:

1 ) SG
2 ) PF
3 ) SF
4 ) PG
5 ) C

As you said...it depends on what is going to happen in the offseason and what Bird decides to do. I pray that SJax is gone and we have resigned Peja....which means that Freddie is likely gone.....so I think we need a solid SG pick that can shoot and ( if possible ) provide some very solid defense in the 1st round. However, if there is a very solid PF that is available at the time....then I wouldn't mind drafting one.

The SF, PG and C positions...we are IMHO deep enough at those positions...and if needed ( like if Peja isn't resigne )....we can sign or trade for a veteran Free Agent that can fill the backup SF position.

Since86
04-07-2006, 04:53 PM
We need to draft someone without baggage a la Danny Granger.

His baggage is going to be checked at the door. I really think it was a one time thing, and after hearing more details on the situation he was third or fourth man in the chain of events.

It doesn't absolve him of his actions, but he wasn't the mastermind behind the whole thing either.

If he fell into the Ps lap, you can pretty much say bye-bye to Tinsley. Williams is going to be a very good pro.

SoupIsGood
04-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Random trivia: A certain prominant member of PD compared David Harrison to Oliver Miller on draft night.

Hope it wasn't me. :blush: I do know I called him Fatty.... I didn't like him then.