PDA

View Full Version : European Pacers Party?

Lithfan
04-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Hey guys what do you think?

I mean can we organize one?

Just write where you are from and if you would like to meet other people alive.

I'm from Israel, but tomorrow I'll be in Lithuania (Vilnius) where most European PD members are IMO.

I would like to meet others alive.

Anybody in Vilnius?

DeS
04-04-2006, 12:42 PM
DeS is from Kaunas. No problem go to Vilnius ;) Maybe at finals (Zalgiris-Rytas derby)?

Antonio
04-04-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm from Toulon in France...

Mourning
04-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Bilthoven (Utrecht), The Netherlands. And at the worst second in Europe with regards to the number of Pacersfans.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Kaufman
04-04-2006, 02:19 PM
I take it Rik Smits didn't make lots of Dutch people into Pacer fans?

3ballinhoop
04-04-2006, 02:32 PM
Mourning would have to answer that question as I'm just a neighbour.
It is probable he made lots of dutch people Pacerfans though. The Mavericks are extremely popular in Germany. Of course Nowitzki, being one of the very best in the NBA, is a much bigger star. I don't know how popular the Sonics and Pacers became with Schrempf, although he was really good as well.

It would be cool to fly to Lithuania from Würzburg, Germany, tomorrow, but there are a number of factors that make that difficult. You will have to party yourselves, and I'll be with you in spirit.

Mourning
04-04-2006, 02:47 PM

:huh: Guess I'm reading this wrong. Anyway, Rik Smits and Reggie made quite a number of fans over here. I'm sure a lot have either left NBA basketball or basketball all together behind them, but I'm more then sure there are also a lot of Dutch Pacersfans left.

I would guess that after Americans and Lithuanians we would be the third or fourth largest nationality on this board, probably about the same number or a few more posters then those that come from Canada. I don't view that as a coincidence considering Basketball is at best the 6th sport in The Netherlands (after soccer, field hockey, volleyball, tennis, ice skating, korfball/bucketball).

I would like more of my compatriots to post though (that's where Canadians edge "us" so to speak).

Regards,

Kaufman
04-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Sorry Mouring, I think I read your original post wrong.

Kaufman
04-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Damn Canadians...

Sorry rcarey :whatever:

Mourning
04-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Sorry Mouring, I think I read your original post wrong.

;)

RWB
04-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Can't forget about the guys that like to say G'Day and mates often, right GO?

3ballinhoop
04-04-2006, 03:01 PM
My grandmother used to tell me the biggest sport in Holland is cycling, closely followed by "smoking it 'til the sun goes down".

Mourning
04-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Yup! Quite some Austrians here too! :-p

;)

Mourning
04-04-2006, 03:06 PM
My grandmother used to tell me the biggest sport in Holland is cycling, closely followed by "smoking it 'til the sun goes down".

How could that be true? Did you forget you GERMANS stole our bikes in the 2nd World War?!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :-p

Pot smoking is not unpopular here, true, (I never did btw! Sort of a principle issue for me personally) but compare it to France, Germany and England and I don't think IF we are higher it's a little bit, while on the hard drugs the percentages are lower then those countries mentioned above and the US.

Anyway, true, cycling is also pretty big here.

Regards,

3ballinhoop
04-04-2006, 03:24 PM
I didn't know dutch bikes were stolen, but it's not that cool that you had to refer to the second world war, if even in joke. It's a tiring connection to the word Germany, because even if it can be funny, it is used so damn frequently.

However, the drug connection is probably used when speaking of Holland just as often, so my reasoning applies here as well. It is just that with Portugal and Switzerland, Holland is the one country where drugs like marijuana are legal and sold in tolerated coffee shops. It creates a buzz, not only in neighbouring Germany, but also Belgium, Scandinavia. I visited friends in Lille, France just a few weeks ago and guess if they discussed how it is only a trip of a few hours through Belgium to Weed-land?

I grew up in Sweden, and living in Bayern, the drug laws are strict in both places. If this is for the better or not, is a whole other discussion.

Cycling as a sport in huge in Germany. I was pretty much thinking of the bike as a means of transport when speaking of Holland, which, surprisingly, is one of those countries I haven't been to. :-)
What is Korfball btw?

Kaufman
04-04-2006, 03:25 PM

Your grandma knows about smoking?? I don't think my grandma does.

3ballinhoop
04-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Well, she knows about smoking and drugs. It's something you don't miss if you watch television regularly, as it is discussed in different contexts a lot in media. The word for smoking, "kiffen" is big here.

Writing "my grandmother used to tell me" does not necessarily mean she really did, but have you noticed how this adds a mix of wisdom and humor to any statement? :)

Mourning
04-04-2006, 03:53 PM
I didn't know dutch bikes were stolen, but it's not that cool that you had to refer to the second world war, if even in joke. It's a tiring connection to the word Germany, because even if it can be funny, it is used so damn frequently.

Ok, I can dig that. Anyway, it IS a clichee joke that's used a lot around here.
Has to do with the German army before Operation Market Garden (the huge allied airborne operation from Eindhoven to Arnhem with the objective of opening a corridor towards the Ruhrarea, maybe you have seen the movie "A Bridge Too Far"?). They were on the run before that operation and basically stole everything that they could use on the way to Germany. The bycicle became the symbol of that.

Anyway, I understand you would feel insulted by it, but it was meant as a sort of little teasing. Indeed the same as people calling my country blowersparadis or something ;). Anyway, I apologize for the "joke" :).

However, also let's be honest here, I understand you don't like the connection of Germany to the 2nd World War, but it will always be there. It's not something that will go away. However, people around here don't view young or middle aged Germans as Nazi's or something, that would be absurd.

However, the drug connection is probably used when speaking of Holland just as often, so my reasoning applies here as well. It is just that with Portugal and Switzerland, Holland is the one country where drugs like marijuana are legal and sold in tolerated coffee shops. It creates a buzz, not only in neighbouring Germany, but also Belgium, Scandinavia. I visited friends in Lille, France just a few weeks ago and guess if they discussed how it is only a trip of a few hours through Belgium to Weed-land?

Belgium is a country with close to the same rules we have now since last year. Also take note that pot is NOT legal here it's "tolerated" in small amounts. It's a REALLY weird system and quite hard to explain, but it works reasonably well.

Cycling as a sport in huge in Germany. I was pretty much thinking of the bike as a means of transport when speaking of Holland, which, surprisingly, is one of those countries I haven't been to. :-)
What is Korfball btw?

Yeah, the bike is also a popular form of transportation here. I had a girlfriend a few years ago who had a nephew from Canada who came over and we used to play ball. The first thing that he said surprised him compared to Canada was the room for people with bycicles here, the number of them around and the availability of roads which they could use.

Korfball is in my eyes the major reason why Basketball will never really take off over here as it should (we are one of the tallest average people in the world and we like and generally are good at teamsports). The object of the game is to throw a ball into a round bucket which is positioned a little higher then a basket and without the board of the basket. You are not allowed to dribble, so you have to pass to get the ball anywhere, hard body contact is not allowed. I used to play it, but I love the body contact and wearing my opponents down that way aswell, so I only played it for a few years when I was a small kid (looooong ago!). It's one of the biggest sports here ... unfortunately :).

The sport is also big in Belgium and developing in some eatern European countries I believe. We will probably remain world champion until 2088 (sounds remniscent of the US with regards to basketball btw ;)).

Regards,

Lithfan
04-04-2006, 03:55 PM
DeS is from Kaunas. No problem go to Vilnius ;) Maybe at finals (Zalgiris-Rytas derby)?

Great!!!

Lets see how many people we can gather. By the way when is the derby?

3ball, it doesn't have to be tomorrow....

ssmall
04-04-2006, 03:58 PM
<-----Vilnius

Seed
04-04-2006, 04:15 PM
I'm from Haifa, Israel. Could be nice to meet people from all over Europe that have Indiana Pacers in common. Global village anyone?
Anyway it seems hard to organize. The Lith guys getting together can be done I guess.

Kaufman
04-04-2006, 04:19 PM
I think I'd consider coming to this party from Lexington, if you guys ever were to get something together...

3ballinhoop
04-04-2006, 04:38 PM
That's great. What country would be in the middle? I'm not that good at geography. *whistle*

3ballinhoop
04-04-2006, 04:43 PM
I don't feel insulted at all. Hell, I'm not even german technically, having grown up in Sweden and not having a german passport. It is still tiresome to read the connection because it is so expected, and I prefer a refreshing surprise.
In Bavaria there is a known ladies-only sport called Korbball. I'll find out the rules and post them here, maybe it's the same thing. :-)

flying dutchman
04-04-2006, 05:05 PM

He sure did! I am one of them.
I used to write more, but I am still around. To busy with work, family, house etc etc.
Right now I am living in Denmark and I guess there aren't that many danish/dutch pacer fans living here. Sooo, no party for me!!

3ballinhoop
04-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Korbball could be the sport you speak of, but it is considered a women's game here.

5 players per team indoors, 7 outdoors. The bucket is at 2.50 m in a circle with a 3 m radius. Only the goalkeeper is allowed to be in this circle.
Penalties are played from a 6 m circle.
http://www.korbball.de/

It's easy to get from Padborg to, say, Hamburg or Berlin. I've done Hamburg-Koebenhavn lots of times. :-)

Mourning
04-04-2006, 05:28 PM
No, Korfbal is a mixed sport (men and woman) and doesn't have a goalkeeper. There are no penalties, there are three throws. Scoring is a lot harder then with basketball as there is no board you can use and the ring is higher. There are some very, very good shooters at korfbal.

Regards,

Kaufman
04-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Well, she knows about smoking and drugs. It's something you don't miss if you watch television regularly, as it is discussed in different contexts a lot in media. The word for smoking, "kiffen" is big here.

Writing "my grandmother used to tell me" does not necessarily mean she really did, but have you noticed how this adds a mix of wisdom and humor to any statement? :)

Grandmother speak always conjures thoughts of wisdom... My g-ma is kinda spacey though. I don't know if that's some early dementia setting in...

Lithfan
04-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Mods can you please make this thread sticky for a while so more people will see it?

Knucklehead Warrior
04-04-2006, 06:27 PM
He sure did! I am one of them.
I used to write more, but I am still around. To busy with work, family, house etc etc.
Right now I am living in Denmark and I guess there aren't that many danish/dutch pacer fans living here. Sooo, no party for me!!

What?!? You're not a motocross fan now? I hear the big guy paints quite a picture on his dirt bike. There used to be a photo floating around somewhere, maybe on PD, maybe earlier than that though.

EDIT: I used to run into the big guy every now and then at the gas station near my house. He drove a little station wagen. I think he sat in the back seat.

Mourning
04-04-2006, 06:35 PM
What?!? You're not a motocross fan now? I hear the big guy paints quite a picture on his dirt bike. There used to be a photo floating around somewhere, maybe on PD, maybe earlier than that though.

Yeah. I know the picture you are referring to. I don't have it, but it should be out here somewhere. If I have sometime tomorrow I will look for it.

EDIT: I used to run into the big guy every now and then at the gas station near my house. He drove a little station wagen. I think he sat in the back seat.

:lol:

able
04-04-2006, 06:53 PM
http://www.able-towers.com/smits_300_motocross.jpg

Mourning
04-04-2006, 07:12 PM
THAT's the one :cheers:

Kaufman
04-04-2006, 10:03 PM
That's great. What country would be in the middle? I'm not that good at geography. *whistle*

The Maldives?

GO!!!!!
04-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Korfball is like Netball, except you mainly play ol Korfball outside on the grass, while Netball is mostly inside or on bitumen

Pacer Party down under sounds great too

I know there is A SydneySider, a Melbournite, a Adelader, and myself the good ol Taswegien

Maybe something could be in the Pipeline, i wanna go to the big city one day soon with some buds looking for a new Moto2wheeler..

An't this place just fill of L.O.V.E.

Raskolnikov
04-05-2006, 01:36 AM
The center of Europe: Brussels, Belgium.

:D

Kaufman
04-05-2006, 01:38 AM

we were looking in the middle of Europe and Lexington, Kentucky, actually. That would put one in the Maldives.

Julius Sour
04-05-2006, 02:14 AM
Vilnius. mailme at pm

Raskolnikov
04-05-2006, 06:56 AM
we were looking in the middle of Europe and Lexington, Kentucky, actually. That would put one in the Maldives.
Ah, right. Snorry.

My statement on itself still stands though.

Kaufman
04-05-2006, 08:33 AM
Brussels, Diamond capital of Europe, right? Some say diamond capital of the world but truly one has to classify that as South Africa.

I've been to Amsterdam but never Belgium. Flown over Brussels once though. ISn't that were they have the tiny statue Manneken Pis?

04-05-2006, 08:55 AM
Good idea tho, im from Croatia. (yugoslavia)

Kestas
04-05-2006, 09:03 AM

polytical - yes. geographical - no. there is one geographical center of Europe in Lithuania, actually (there are a few versions of it). on the lighter note, I'd say that London is the most suitable town as cheep planes should fly to it from almost everywhere ;)
(not like I'm goint to go anywhere, though)

3ballinhoop
04-05-2006, 09:08 AM
I was actually thinking of Germany as that country in the middle. :-)

However, Maledives sounds awsome and is simply a tempting goal. Different circumstances make it hard for me to make a major foreign trip before the end of september though. Also, Madeira or maybe the Canarian islands are a lot cheaper to reach for a student and great goals as well if the occasion would be used for beautiful nature, sun and party. Madeira for instance sounds very nice and could be considered as being between Europe and USA with some good will.
What about that idea really? PD party on Madeira in late september.

That statue is indeed in Bruxelles but, without having been there, I don't think it is one of the most exciting capitals in Europe, from what I have been told. Of course there are beautiful things to see, but it wouldn't feel like that one spot that I'd really like to visit.

Raskolnikov
04-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Brussels, Diamond capital of Europe, right? Some say diamond capital of the world but truly one has to classify that as South Africa.

I've been to Amsterdam but never Belgium. Flown over Brussels once though. ISn't that were they have the tiny statue Manneken Pis?
That's right!

But with 'diamond capital of Europe' you're probably referring to Antwerpen. I live about 30 km from there.

DeS
04-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Kestas is right:

After a re-estimation of the boundaries of the continent of Europe in 1989, Jean-George Affholder, a scientist at the Institut G&#233;ographique National (French National Geographic Institute) determined that the Geographic Centre of Europe is located at 54&#176;54′N 25&#176;19′E.

This point is located in Lithuania, specifically 26 kilometres (16 miles) north of its capital city, Vilnius, near the village of Purnuškės. A monument, composed by the sculptor Gediminas Jokūbonis and consisting of a column of white granite surmounted by a crown of stars, was erected at the location in 2004.

International meeting would be cool, but imo we are to few to organize it... Btw, lithuanians here is the majority?

Raskolnikov
04-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Kestas is right
Cool!

International meeting would be cool, but imo we are to few to organize it...
It would of course be possible, but a lot of us would have to make large trips to get to the meeting place anyway, so my thinking is: why not follow in Able's foothsteps and immediately travel to the US to join the rest of the crew?

And have a party with everything to it: go see a Pacers game, visit the city of Indianapolis, play some basketball ourselves, attend a PD forum party, have some pizza, discuss plans to conquer the world while at it and finally, conquer the world.

If I have the money someday...

Mourning
04-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Cool!

It would of course be possible, but a lot of us would have to make large trips to get to the meeting place anyway, so my thinking is: why not follow in Able's foothsteps and immediately travel to the US to join the rest of the crew?

And have a party with everything to it: go see a Pacers game, visit the city of Indianapolis, play some basketball ourselves, attend a PD forum party, have some pizza, discuss plans to conquer the world while at it and finally, conquer the world.

;) Maybe next year :D :D :D.

Knucklehead Warrior
04-05-2006, 01:50 PM
http://www.able-towers.com/smits_300_motocross.jpg
Thanks Able !
What a great picture. Ranks right up there with Mel Daniels on a horse.
Look at the rear sprocket on that thing. That's a stump puller.

RWB
04-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Euro Pacers....I like it, get Stern on the phone.

Lithfan
04-06-2006, 03:45 AM
What we have by now:

DeS-Kaunas,Lithuania
Antonio-Toulon,France
Morning-Bilthoven,Netherlands
3ballinhoop-W&#252;rzburg, Germany
ssmall-Vilnius,Lithuania
Seed-Haifa,Israel
flying_dutchman-Denmark
able-London,England
Raskolnikov-Brussels,Belgium
Julius_Sour-Vilnius,Lithuania
#31-Croatia
Kestas-???,Lithuania
Lithfan-Haifa,Israel/Vilnius,Lithuania

So 6 people are currently in Lithuania, 1 in England, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, France, Denmark, Croatia and 2 in Israel.
Everything right? Anybody else?

We can divide it into 2 parts - East and West. :))
West guys can try to meet somewhere in between.... #31 you have a problem.... Seed, I can meet you when I come back to Haifa.

In any case I think it is convinient to meet in Lithuania, Vilnius where most members are and whoever can make it from outside Lithuania is welcome.

So this or next week, any suggestion?

Floflyer
04-06-2006, 04:29 AM
Well, here is one more fan from Darmstadt, Germany.

"I don't know how popular the Sonics and Pacers became with Schrempf, although he was really good as well."
Well, when Detlef was with the Pacers the Germans really just started to watch basketball in 1992 because we won the European Championship and the Dream Team came to the Olympics in Spain that year. Before that only die-hard basketball fans knew about players in the NBA. Well, Detlef was traded to Seattle the year after. In 1993 the first NBA basketball show started on TV but was only 30 minutes and once a week, and that was a Saturday morning (good spot :)). So you see the Germans were really a third-world-country when it came to basketball in the early 90s, but the Detlef Seattle and Pacers connection brought us a Pacers-Seattle-preseaon game in Berlin in 1993 which was awesome because Reggie hit a last second three to win the game. The first year we got to see the Finals live was when it was Seattle vs Bulls, can't remember the year right now. But Detlef never was a star here that everybody knew like I think really a lot people know Dirk.
Now a German PayTV chjannel shows 2 games a week live and that's it, plus the all the Finals games. That's not a lot I think when comparing it to France or other European countries. But it will hopefully get better.

Greetings

Florian

Kaufman
04-06-2006, 08:53 AM
Lithfan - I'd like to be part of the European contingent as well... I'm in Lexington Kentucky USA. But I'm euro @ heart. I'd also like to come to the party.

Also for some of you newer members, we have an online map that you guys can tag so that we can see where one another live. Its online, I don't know the website but maybe Raskolnikov remembers? He registered on this website.

Raskolnikov
04-06-2006, 08:57 AM
Raskolnikov-Brussels,Belgium
To be precise I'm from Sint-Niklaas, about 50 km from Brussels.

Not that it matters that much with our small country...

Kaufman
04-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Welcome, Floflyer! :welcome:

But Detlef never was a star here that everybody knew like I think really a lot people know Dirk.

I'd say that was true about the popularity of each of these two players here - Detlef was an above average player where Dirk is a superstar. Its funny I think both players were drafted by the Dallas Mavericks.

Raskolnikov
04-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Also for some of you newer members, we have an online map that you guys can tag so that we can see where one another live. Its online, I don't know the website but maybe Raskolnikov remembers? He registered on this website.
At your service, Kaufshizzle.

http://www.frappr.com/pacersdigest<!-- / message -->

Raskolnikov
04-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Now a German PayTV chjannel shows 2 games a week live and that's it, plus the all the Finals games. That's not a lot I think when comparing it to France or other European countries. But it will hopefully get better.
Well, it's about the same here. Basketball is just not a very popular sport in Belgium, but I hear it's getting better now though.

Most popular sports here are football (of course), tennis (thanks to Henin-Clijsters) and cycling.

Kaufman
04-06-2006, 09:11 AM
You euros should recruit more friends and countrymen to this site... as opposed to the other site :)

Lithfan
04-06-2006, 04:53 PM
Update:

DeS-Kaunas,Lithuania
Antonio-Toulon,France
Morning-Bilthoven,Netherlands
3ballinhoop-W&#252;rzburg, Germany
Floflyer-Darmstadt, Germany
ssmall-Vilnius,Lithuania
Seed-Haifa,Israel
flying_dutchman-Denmark
able-London,England
Raskolnikov-Sint-Niklaas, Belgium
Julius_Sour-Vilnius,Lithuania
#31-Croatia
Kestas-???,Lithuania
Lithfan-Haifa,Israel/Vilnius,Lithuania

Kaufman - Lexington, USA *wannabe member :)

Any more lithuanians here?

I seriously think that Maldives-like options are not realistic so lets stick to Vilnius plan. If any lithuanians are positive about it?

Raskolnikov great map! Too bad not all members are there. (Some haven't stated their location I guess)

Raskolnikov
06-23-2008, 09:13 AM
I was searching for this thread and I finally found it!

We sure used to have a lot more Lithuanians around. Wonder why they left....

bellisimo
06-23-2008, 09:19 AM
hey I'm more than happy to suggest Budapest, Hungary as the location for the party ;)

Raskolnikov
06-23-2008, 10:04 AM
I'll let you know when I'm in the neighbourhood ;)

I'm actually considering this:

I have the money now...anyone up for it?

Mourning
06-23-2008, 10:29 AM
I was searching for this thread and I finally found it!

We sure used to have a lot more Lithuanians around. Wonder why they left....

Bloody sarcast! :D

On a muchos brighter note! I bet we moved past the Lithuanians in members from European countries scanning the site now!!! :woohoo: :hug: :happydanc :buddies:

:champions

Regards,

Mourning
06-23-2008, 10:31 AM
I'll let you know when I'm in the neighbourhood ;)

I'm actually considering this:

I have the money now...anyone up for it?

Wish I could say "yes", buddie (I actually have the money), but ahem... I'm preparing for my girl to coming over in the summer for a few weeks and next year indefinitely :yay:

:)

Raskolnikov
06-23-2008, 10:38 AM
That's great! How is she coping with the defeat at Euro 2008 btw?

And hey, she can always join us you know ;)

Conflict
06-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Also representing Holland. A Euro party sounds nice but it's very difficult to pull of IMO.

Mourning
06-23-2008, 11:05 AM
That's great! How is she coping with the defeat at Euro 2008 btw?

And hey, she can always join us you know ;)

Well as Romania was bumped out of Euro2008 by YOU KNOW WHOM... (looks around innocently) :hide: AND the fact that she doesn't really care much for football (or basketball for that matter :pullhair:) I think it's fair to say that...

she doesn't give a crap that Holland got ousted:arrgh:.

Anyway, a trip to the States for a PD Party is definitely still on the list of things to do :).

Regards,