PDA

View Full Version : The Top Single Season Performances by an NBA Player

denyfizle
04-03-2006, 01:40 AM
I was thinking about this and I just wanted to get your thoughts on the greatest single season performance by an NBA player ever. A lot of great players get injured in their prime thus robbing them of their shine and us as well from seeing their full potential, so I just wanted to get your feedbacks on what you think are the greatest seasons by a single player in history.

Allen Iverson's MVP season and run to the finals still amazes me to this day. How he lead that team that far- injuries and all- and beating the heavy favored Lakers in OT at LA in GAME 1 of the finals was just legendary. (31 pp/g 5.5 assts. 2.8 stls.)

Of course almost all of MJ's BULLS seasons were phenomenal.

CB34's first year in Phoenix. MVP. NBA Finals. Took MJ's Bulls to 6 games in the NBA finals. (12.2 rebs.p/g 5.1 asst. 25.6 pp/g 1.0 blks.)

Magic's 1986-87 season where he won his first MVP was great. 24 points per, 12.2 assists and the RING.

Bird's 1984-85 where he won MVP and the title. Averaged 28.7 pts. 10.5 reb.s 6.6 assts. 1.2 blk. 1.6 stl.

I don't know how you'll react to this, but Vince Carter's rookie season to me is one of the greatest as well. He may have not had success in terms of accomplishments as a team but the buzz and the excitement he created from that rookie year was MJ-like.

There's a lot more that come to mind, but I'll just wait and read your replies first, especially from the old-school posters who've witnessed a lot more than I have.

Mac_Daddy
04-03-2006, 01:46 AM
Wilt Chamberlain - 1960-1970, pick one.

Kstat
04-03-2006, 01:47 AM
Far as I'm concerned there are three individual single-season performances that stand out among the rest:

1962 Oscar Robertson- 30.8ppg, 11.4 apg, 10.4 boards. Only player ever to average a triple-double.

1962 Wilt Chamberlain- 50.4ppg, 25.7 boards and 48.5 minutes per game.

1988 Michael Jordan- 35.0ppg, 5.9 assists, 5.5 boards, 3.16 steals, 1.6 blocks. All-star MVP, dunk champ, Defensive player of the year, scoring champ, and NBA MVP.

Oh and BTW it would interest people that neither wilt nor Oscar won the MVP in 1962....it was Bill Russel.

GO!!!!!
04-03-2006, 02:42 AM
I'd normally go with the Big O but this fact has me concerned a little

Negatives: The triple-double in 1961 was a little overrated because all the offensive stats were completely skewed that season (it was like a steroids year in baseball)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/pointguards/060331

Jason Kidd

1998/1999 16.9 PPG 2.28 SPG 10.8 APG 6.8 RPG 41.4 MPG

Thats impressive to me

Kstat
04-03-2006, 02:56 AM

Last time I checked a basket was only worth 2 points in 1962.

Let's do a little analysis, shall we?

Let's start with the scoring aspect:

Scoring leaders- 1962

1. Chamberlain- 50.4
2. Bellamy- 31.6

If it was such a padded year, why exactly is Wilt averaging nineteen more points than anybody else?

If Walt Bellamy was playing today, he would be THIRD in scoring, behind Kobe and AI. In 1962, he was 2nd.

On to Oscar.....

Assists leaders- 1962

1. Oscar- 11.4
2. Guy Rogers- 8.0

Again, if this is the "steriod year" of basketball, why is Oscar averaging 3.4 more assists than the next guy? Why is 8 assists good for 2nd in the entire league, if everybody and his brother is putting the ball in the hole?

Guy Rogers would 7th in the NBA in assists today. And this is supposed to be the "scoring" era of PGs.

I will give you that rebounding stats were heavily skewed back then, because of the sloppier pace and low shooting percentages. However, the point about oscar stands.

I'd love to know if Simmons really has any basis for this, or he's just decided that for himself since there was such a huge statistical anomaly that year for two players.

Slick Pinkham
04-03-2006, 08:40 AM
1966-1967, Wilt Chamberlain.

Why that year? He won a championship ring, shot 68.3% from the field, averaged 24.1 ppg, 7.8 assists per game, 24.2 rebounds per game, and was named league MVP.

His scoring average dropped tremendously from previous years, but he focused upon high percentage shots and passing, deferring often to teammates Hal Greer, Chet Walker and Billy Cunningham. They set the NBA record for team victories later broken by LA.

The MVP and the ring, still with impressive stats, distinguish that season from his others.

DisplacedKnick
04-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Chamberlain's 61-62 season does it for me because I think he did one thing that there isn't even a ghost of a chance that it will ever be repeated - playing in all but 8 minutes of the season. The 50 ppg ave probably will never be repeated, though when you look at the center position today, if an absolute freak came out I can't call it impossible. Big O's triple-double season is second but I think it's possible that Lebron could do that - and maybe even KG if a second franchise player ever joined the team (what would his assist numbers be with Ray Allen?). But those minutes played on top of everything else ...

From an individual performance standpoint that's number 1 for me.

04-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Oscar Robertsons and Wilt Chamberleins numbers are just unnatural.. it amazes me everyday, everytime i see what WILT has done i wonder stuff like...

Why was he unstoppable?
No way that he could do the same things today if he was 20-30 again!?
Would SHAQ be even more dominant than WILT on those poor skinny white guys defending him in the 60´s?
From watching highlights with WILT all i could see is a couple of skinny unathletic players with no skills comparing to todays players?
Is that really the case or was WILT REALLY that good?!?!!!

I just cant think of it, as a basketball player myself its just Mindboggling to even think of the numbers he put up, its just impossible to do it today unless you was 10 Feet tall. Thats why i dont care about the NBA stats between 50s-60s or maybe even 70s... because basketball is ALOT more developed today, more athletic players, more Power, more Speed, Bigger players, more Talents, more Skills.

Or maybe im wrong? WILT really was that good even if he was young today? Very mindboggling..

Will Galen
04-03-2006, 09:24 AM

Negatives: The triple-double in 1961 was a little overrated because all the offensive stats were completely skewed that season (it was like a steroids year in baseball)

You should have checked Oscars record, then you would have known Oscars stats that year weren't an abnormally for him. He actually averaged a triple double for his first five years in the league. (30.2 points, 10.6 assists, and 10.3 rebounds)

What's more}
In 14 years Oscar averaged 25.7 points, 9.5 assists, and 7.5 rebounds.
He averaged a double, double, seven times.
More than 30 points 6 times.
More than 9 rebounds 5 times.
More than 9 assists 9 times.

So his triple double year (30.8 ppg, 11.4 apg, 10.4 boards) doesn't really stand out from other good years in his career.

Slick Pinkham
04-03-2006, 09:28 AM
ther's no doubt that players today are bigger, stronger, and quicker.

But consider that in the days before expansion and there were only 8-10 teams not 30, Wilt had to face Russell 10-15 times, Bellamy 10-15 times, Thurmond, etc.

There were unskilled centers, but you can find many of them today with 3-4 times as many teams.

Of course he couldn't score 100 and couldn't get 55 rebounds in today's game. (Wilt's 55 boards came against Russell, by the way). There are fewer posessions, better shooting, better coaching, and more evolved defensive philosophies.

So maybe instead of averaging 50 he would have averaged about 44.

:-o

04-03-2006, 09:53 AM
ther's no doubt that players today are bigger, stronger, and quicker.

But consider that in the days before expansion and there were only 8-10 teams not 30, Wilt had to face Russell 10-15 times, Bellamy 10-15 times, Thurmond, etc.

There were unskilled centers, but you can find many of them today with 3-4 times as many teams.

Of course he couldn't score 100 and couldn't get 55 rebounds in today's . (Wilt's 55 boards came against Russell, by the way). There are fewer posessions, better , better coaching, and more evolved defensive philosophies.

So maybe instead of averaging 50 he would have averaged about 44.

:-o

Yea exactly, thats why i dont trust those old-school statistics at all. But after the 70s i could start trusting them, because i dont think basketball can be more developed.. Its 100% developed and the time is NOW! (unless HELL breaks loose and the players will be 10 footers who has a vertical leap of 100 inch). NBA is international now and Drafts only the Best of the Best Players in the World. Physically, its impossible to find/train more athletic/talented players!

Today only a skilled / talented / lucky GUARD maybe could (notice the "maybe") only score 100 pts. But being a Center (no matter who you are) i dont think that could ever happen, only a SF / PF or even a good SG could humiliate a great Center (defensively) under the basket today..

ThA HoyA
04-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Allen Iverson's MVP season and run to the finals still amazes me to this day. How he lead that team that far- injuries and all- and beating the heavy favored Lakers in OT at LA in GAME 1 of the finals was just legendary. (31 pp/g 5.5 assts. 2.8 stls.)

This was seriously the best ive seen but im young so i cant remeber too many but him just carrying his team through the playoffs and then in the deciding game adjusting to the bucks defense and dishes out like 14 assists not too sure on that number.

GO!!!!!
04-03-2006, 06:48 PM
I love the Big O, and I wasn’t commenting on his stats, I merely quoted the dude from espn and said I had my concerns, if anything feel free to express your passionate interests the writer of that fair comment Mr Bill Simmons, I’m sure you can find his email somewhere on the website.