PDA

View Full Version : Poll on Pacers.com... where are these fans coming from?

brichard
04-02-2006, 10:23 PM
If you go to Pacers.com they have a poll on what the team's playoff spot will be, 4th-8th.

I find it interesting that the 4th seed is leading the poll.

Why do I find that interesting? It was mentioned at the forum party and also on this board, but there is definitely tension in the air at Conseco Fieldhouse. So from the season ticket holder to casual fans, people are not exactly effusive with shiny happy thoughts.

And then you come here where most folks, even Sunshiners are feeling things are bleak. One of the interesting questions posed at the party the other night to Hoops4wife was regarding her opinion of Rick Carlisle. She is not an avid basketball fan, but based on what she saw she did not think he was a good coach. She felt based on her observations that he had a tendency to yank the hot hand and keep the cold hand in too long.

So, from disinterested observer to long time Blue and Gold diehards, everybody seems to be a bit glum.

So I am pondering aloud, who is filling out this survey? Are optimisits more likely to fill out polls? :) I digress...

Kaufman
04-02-2006, 10:27 PM
A sunshiner like me has stopped going to the team webpage. It has gotten too darn depressing for me. Has anyone else stopped going to the homepage?

SoupIsGood
04-02-2006, 10:29 PM
I go there to see when we play

18to88
04-02-2006, 10:48 PM
Maybe because most of them support the team AND its players and haven't given up hope on them yet. Most people on this thread are very negative and pessimistic. Another thing that pisses me off about this board is that a lot of you think you have some type of expertise on the Pacers and know more than anyone who doesn't post here. I'm sure you guys will go off on me and get me banned now since I don't agree with you.

Kaufman
04-02-2006, 10:54 PM
Yowsers. Tell us how you REALLY feel please.

geetee
04-02-2006, 11:00 PM
I don't know where these fans are coming from, 4th place is out of the question.

I find myself skipping alot of info I used to search for and I tend to get frustrated more easily during the game.

Let's face it, its a lot tougher on a fan to watch their team on the decline, rather than on the rise... even if the team is playing at the same level in both circumstances.

brichard
04-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Maybe because most of them support the team AND its players and haven't given up hope on them yet. Most people on this thread are very negative and pessimistic. Another thing that pisses me off about this board is that a lot of you think you have some type of expertise on the Pacers and know more than anyone who doesn't post here. I'm sure you guys will go off on me and get me banned now since I don't agree with you.

There are many fallacies in this thread, so let us take them in order.

1. Just because a person does not think we will get the fourth playoff spot, it does not mean they don't support their team. I just met 30 people, all whom I've met from this board, to talk about the Pacers. If that isn't a show of support, I'm at a loss for what is.

2. You have the right to be as optimistic as you like, but even the rosiest of prognosticators has to look at the statistics and come up with some unavoidable conclusions. This team has had many injuries, they haven't played together for most of the year, and currently they are on a losing streak. What about that data spells "4th playoff spot?" You can hope for it, and so do I, but I couldn't knock a guy for questioning it due the current circumstances.

3. I think there are very few people who fall in the "expertise" category. This is primarily a place of armchair quarterbacks all giving their :twocents: They have a right to express theirs and you have a right to express yours.

4. If you think you will get banned for not agreeing with somebody, well... you haven't read many topics. There are always folks on both sides of a topic. See... you are disagreeing with me right now. Isn't it great? We can do that on a message board... that is what they are for.

I've watched the Pacers as a casual observer in the 70's/80's and became a pretty big fan in the late 80's early 90's. I'm about as :sunshine: as any guy out there, but with everything that has happened to this team in the last few years it is difficult to not have some dampened enthusiasm.

18to88
04-02-2006, 11:59 PM
1. Just because a person does not think we will get the fourth playoff spot, it does not mean they don't support their team. I just met 30 people, all whom I've met from this board, to talk about the Pacers. If that isn't a show of support, I'm at a loss for what is.

I just don't get all the hate some people have for our own players.

efx
04-03-2006, 12:03 AM

Maybe they are of the opinion that said players are not in their mind right for the team and they are expressing that?

There is nothing wrong with that one bit.

brichard
04-03-2006, 12:05 AM

What you call hate, I think many of us feel as frustration.

Frustrated that...

Tinsley can't stay healthy.
JO can't stay healthy.
Jax can't hit shots consistently.
Rick won't let the team run.
AC has what appears to be a serious injury.
JO won't box out.
JT can't stop with the risky passes.
JT won't stop shooting when clearly he should.
Polly has been a bit fragile the last 2 years.

And on and on it goes. And sometimes there are players you like that just don't provide that magical element of chemistry. Until we get the right player mix or coach folks are going to be upset and some player moves will probably be unaviodable.

Will Galen
04-03-2006, 12:51 AM
I believe that poll has been up for a long time. (a couple months) I think when it was first put up we were tied with Cleveland in the lost column, or we were close behind. And when it was first put up we were looking forward to JO and Tins coming back, so 4th place was a pretty good pick.

And since most voters vote in those polls vote right away it's not strange that4th place still has the most votes. Things have changed since that poll first went up though. If a poll was taken now, we would get votes for not making the playoffs.

brichard
04-03-2006, 01:03 AM
I believe that poll has been up for a long time. (a couple months) I think when it was first put up we were tied with Cleveland in the lost column, or we were close behind. And when it was first put up we were looking forward to JO and Tins coming back, so 4th place was a pretty good pick.

And since most voters vote in those polls vote right away it's not strange that4th place still has the most votes. Things have changed since that poll first went up though. If a poll was taken now, we would get votes for not making the playoffs.

It could be that I've missed it, but I don't think that poll has been up quite that long. Maybe it has, but it doesn't seem like it to me. They seem to rotate those out about once a month... or so it seems to me. I know after the All Star break there was one about who was going to be the next All Star to which most people selected Danny Granger.

Eindar
04-03-2006, 01:32 AM
Apparently this board has a sickness, and the only remedy is...

MORE COWBELL!

18to88
04-03-2006, 01:36 AM
Apparently this board has a sickness, and the only remedy is...

MORE COWBELL!

hahahaha

ssmall
04-03-2006, 04:31 AM
It could be that I've missed it, but I don't think that poll has been up quite that long. Maybe it has, but it doesn't seem like it to me. They seem to rotate those out about once a month... or so it seems to me. I know after the All Star break there was one about who was going to be the next All Star to which most people selected Danny Granger.
However i think it is up for quite some time. I remember choosing option 6 seed and i was a bit pesimistic (deep inside i thought we can get 4).

317Kim
04-03-2006, 08:27 AM
I voted 5th on that poll twice.

It hurts a bit for me to go to the homepage now.

Julius Sour
04-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Lithuania

I think You have this "Yao effect" term. So, it is "Jasiwhatever effect".

Js

Knucklehead Warrior
04-03-2006, 11:53 AM
There always is some wacky fringe that votes in a poll. I used to get a faxed daily poll and it surprised me that no matter what the question there was always some small percentage that went against the grain, like "All people who don't move their clocks ahead for DST should be put to death." 3-5% would say "yes".

Last year when PHL got CWebb there was a poll over there that asked how far the sixers would get in the playoffs. 30% thought they would win at least the ECF ! They didn't even make the playoffs did they?