PDA

View Full Version : Mike James likely to decline player option, become free agent

Shade
04-02-2006, 06:39 PM
For those of you who want him, we may have our chance to get him:

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/39811/20060402/james_just_looking_for_one_team_to_believe_in_%28h im%29/ <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="8" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td class="wiretap_key_header">James 'Just Looking For One Team To Believe In (Him)'</td></tr><tr><td>2nd April, 2006 - 4:20 pm</td></tr><tr><td>http://realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/James_Mike_tor.jpgBoston Globe - Mike James (http://www.realgm.com/src_playerfile/580/mike_james/) is expected to decline his player option for 2006-2007 and become a free agent. James realizes that his reputation may make some teams reluctant to offer him a lucrative contract.

''I'm a pit bull because I'm misunderstood," said James. ''A pit bull is the sweetest, most loving dog in the world and full of energy. But if crossed, they've got lockjaw. When I lock on to something, I'm not letting go."

''I'm not looking for all 30 teams to love me," said James. ''I'm just looking for one team that's going to believe in me and treat me as if I can really help that team win a championship at the helm.

''If somebody else was putting up the stats that I was putting up, they would throw all the money in the world at them. So, just treat me the same way as you would treat anybody else who's a free agent. Money is not my motivator, but I also want to enjoy the fruits of my labor."</td></tr></tbody> </table>

sweabs
04-02-2006, 06:49 PM
There was no question that he would opt out to become a free agent. Raps fans have known that since November or December. He's stated numerous times that he's looking for the money, and he'll likely receive a generous offer from the Raptors.

Kstat
04-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Raptors will re-sign him. Its just this way he gets more money from them.

Unclebuck
04-02-2006, 06:59 PM
I'd give him the full midlevel exception. Or I'd gladly do a sign and trade. Would the Raps want Jamaal or jax

DisplacedKnick
04-02-2006, 07:02 PM
You'd think with the great salary giveaway we'd have been able to get the Raptors to give us him along with Jalen Rose. :mad:

Or not pick up an identical PG from Orlando.

Or top-5 protect our pick to Chicago.

Or get better than Mo Taylor.

Or ...

My head hurts. :cry:

pacerwaala
04-02-2006, 08:32 PM
I'd give him the full midlevel exception. Or I'd gladly do a sign and trade. Would the Raps want Jamaal or jax

Jax yes

Jamal - No

Shade
04-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Jax yes

Jamal - No

Deal.

SoupIsGood
04-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Do we really want him. I want guys who will pass the ball.

sweabs
04-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Do we really want him. I want guys who will pass the ball.

He has a tendency to hog the ball down the stretch of games without passing it even once for the entire shotclock so he can make the "big shot". He just did it right now against the Hornets...but missed.

But then again, throughout the game he also racks up assists as he has 10 right now going into OT. He's great at penetrating and kicking. It's just in the last minute or two in a close game, you oftentimes have the entire possession in James' hand and a random pull-up jumper...he likes taking the big shots.

SoupIsGood
04-02-2006, 09:19 PM
He has a tendency to hog the ball down the stretch of games without passing it even once for the entire shotclock so he can make the "big shot". He just did it right now against the Hornets...but missed.

But then again, throughout the game he also racks up assists as he has 10 right now going into OT. He's great at penetrating and kicking. It's just in the last minute or two in a close game, you oftentimes have the entire possession in James' hand and a random pull-up jumper...he likes taking the big shots.

Hmmmm.... I'll have to watch him closer sometime here.

I'm open to any soluiton at the PG spot also, though.... anyone who will play 82 games would make me so happy.

sweabs
04-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Well, I'd definitely classify him as a score-first PG. So it would be up to Larry and Donnie to make the final decision. It depends on where they want this team to go. The PG is usually an accurate representation of how your team plays...it's a crucial role.

Mike James often plays more like a shooting guard.

Kstat
04-02-2006, 09:35 PM
Mike James also isn't a half-court PG type of player.

18to88
04-02-2006, 10:53 PM
No Mike James! Why the hell would we want this guy?!

Kaufman
04-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Mike James' quotes sound like something straight out of Stephen Jackson's mouth. (I like Stephen Jackson, but I don't think we could handle two Stephen Jacksons).

Jermaniac
04-02-2006, 11:25 PM
Putting up great stats on a horrible team, Tins is better then this dude.

Anthem
04-03-2006, 01:44 AM
Mike James is going to end up playing in 80 games this season.

Game over.

themind
04-03-2006, 02:36 AM
Jax yes

Jamal - No

Yes! Then we'll have 5 PGs!

Arcadian
04-03-2006, 03:19 AM
I like Mike's defense. In my mind he is the league's best back up point guard. I wouldn't feel as great about him being a team's best point guard.

Beowulfas
04-03-2006, 05:30 AM
I like Mike's defense. In my mind he is the league's best back up point guard. I wouldn't feel as great about him being a team's best point guard.

Last game vs Hornets, 5/25 FG, that is 20 field goals missed in one game :-o
Even Tinsley can't beat that :d

owl
04-03-2006, 07:51 AM
What was Tinsley the other night, 2 for 15 or something like it? Tinsley will
never be a good shooter. I am not saying James is the answer either.

owl

DeAthrow
04-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Living in Toronto I have seen a lot of Raptors' games and Mike James. I believe Raps made a mistake
by not trading him because they might end up overpaying in order to keep him. ANything more than $5-6 million/year
is too much. When he is on, he can shoot the lights out with the best of them. What bothers me though when he is not on
he will keep forcing shots instead of looking for a teammate with a hot hand. Case in point few nights ago when Villanueva had
48 pts, game goes into over time and instead of looking for Charlie, Mike keeps taking shots and missing. Sometimes I think
his "MJ" intitials get to his head.

sweabs
04-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Toronto media is now really starting to get after Mike James and his "iffy" shot selection down the course of games. I just finished watching an interview where he got very defensive.

It just doesn't sound like the Mike James I used to really enjoy. You should have heard the guy rattle off every single stat of his from every game this year. He's developed an ego here in Toronto - that is for sure.

OnlyPacersLeft
04-03-2006, 08:44 PM
maybe we can get him? Ship out tinsley? lol

Ragnar
04-03-2006, 09:20 PM
How about AJ and Sarunas for James?

Kingsfanbmiller
04-04-2006, 12:11 AM
:laugh: http://youtube.com/watch?v=FIXwkkZyi9k

^It's MIKE JAMES!

sweabs
04-04-2006, 12:20 AM

^It's MIKE JAMES!

Hey - cool. That's the interview I was talking about!

rexnom
04-04-2006, 02:09 AM
Toronto media is now really starting to get after Mike James and his "iffy" shot selection down the course of games. I just finished watching an interview where he got very defensive.

It just doesn't sound like the Mike James I used to really enjoy. You should have heard the guy rattle off every single stat of his from every game this year. He's developed an ego here in Toronto - that is for sure.

Yeah, this troubles me. I liked him a lot in Detroit and in Houston and in Toronto at the beginning of the year. Now, there is just this ego and meanwhile teams are starting to adjust to him. I fear that Mike James is a contract year type of a guy. Whatever team has him next year will be very disappointed...

Fool
04-04-2006, 08:08 AM

^It's MIKE JAMES!

"They say you miss 100% of the shots you [don't] take."

Is he actually quoting that lame commercial?

The following is a paraphrase from the clip:
"You gotta understand that Chauncey [Billups] has a great team so their isn't as much pressure on him to perform."

... there is so much in that one sentence....

DeS
04-04-2006, 09:10 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FIXwkkZyi9k
^It's MIKE JAMES!

He's actualy a clown from my POV: "Oh, come on, I'm cool no matter what I'm doing. If the team doesn't like that I'm doing, then f*** the team, because I'm cool and the team is ******".
I'd better go with Tins with all his fragility, inconsistency... than with him.

Slick Pinkham
04-04-2006, 09:12 AM
He seems to have a very high opinion of himself.

He is a very good defensive PG and a good shoot-first offensive PG. I'm not sure that he is a starting PG on a champion.

04-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Im just laughing at you guys, underrating Sarunas like that, to want a trade for him. Well, i would really like that to happen and then look the expresion on your faces when he starts producing on the other team.. he might be the best PG in NBA History, but you will NEVER know it and you dont want to know it.

btowncolt
04-04-2006, 09:24 AM
Im just laughing at you guys, underrating Sarunas like that, to want a trade for him. Well, i would really like that to happen and then look the expresion on your faces when he starts producing on the other team.. he might be the best PG in NBA History, but you will NEVER know it and you dont want to know it.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20137&page=14

naptownmenace
04-05-2006, 09:05 AM

If you really believe that, you are a homer. Tinsley is terrible and it's not a surprise that the Pacers play went into the crapper the minute he came back into the lineup.

Mike James > Jamal Tinsley by a longshot. You'll see it tonight.