PDA

View Full Version : PD forum party recap thread

heywoode
04-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Well, this was my first forum party, so it will definitely be my first recap...

I showed at about 6:30 and there were at least a dozen there already. I was greeted warmly and Peck immediately asked me the first topic of conversation; when did I become a Pacer fan, what made me a diehard fan, and what my favorite moment as Pacer fan was. I answered and the spotlight moved to everyone else in turn. I have to say, that was a great way to start (if you guys had just started when I got there) a forum party. It was fantastic to hear everyone's stories and get a feel for how long each person has been a Pacers fan...

We had good pizza and good conversation as quite a few others trickled in after me and we ended up a crowd of 24 or 25, with standing room only...It was great to get to put faces to alot of the familiar names here at PD and definitely worth the drive down for a rare opportunity to get to meet PD's gracious host, able. I wouldn't have thought someone from so far away could have the same passion (or more) than the rest of us right here in Indy's backyard. Able definitely takes the cake as farthest traveled for this one!

We spent a great amount of time getting around the room asking for opinions on the Stephen Jackson/Al Harrington trade...I thought Peck said 45 minutes, but it probably ended being over an hour...There were definitely compelling arguments made in all forms and from all sides of this trade, and I have to say that I could see everyone's point of view with a good amount of respect, and that I felt at the time that it was odd to agree with so many opposing sides at the same time. The talk was very friendly and very lively at the same time, and the evening was well moderated by Peck, as I've read he has a habit of doing. You certainly added to the experience Peck, so hats off to you!

We talked about Carlisle, and whether we wanted him gone, or wanted players gone...Once again, everyone made good points to back up their opinions. I thought that we covered most every angle possible in what is a complicated question to answer.

It was getting toward the 9:30pm closing time for Pizza King, so we kind or wrapped it up with a more informal questioning of whether JO was the problem or the solution, and we kind of broke down into the transition period of getting organized for the group photo, props to the waitress for finally getting everyone's attention by the way; and the saying-goodbye and figuring out who was going to Perkins time period...

I had ordered a large pizza to go around 9:10, so I gathered my pizza up and cruised for home as everyone who was still hanging on was talking and getting organized for the trip to Perkins outside...I don't have a Pizza King in Huntington, the closest ones are Wabash (20 miles) and Ft. Wayne as I learned last night from Ragnar (20 miles or so also)....That is the only reason I took one to go after snacking on Pizza King all evening too!

All in all, a very nice party and a warm welcome from a great group of people. The stragglers that showed up later than I were afforded the same welcome, and joined right in the group and conversation. Anyone who hasn't made it around for one, it will be worth your multi-hour drive (no excuses for you people in Indy who haven't made it to one!) even if you deprive yourself of the experience of Perkins' pie along with a little more engaging conversation. In retrospect I would've loved to have stayed for more, but I needed to get my tired butt home after a long week that merely culminated with a trip and late night to Indy on Thursday and on Friday...My apologies, and I will definitely be in it for longer the next time a party is held!!

I didn't take my camera, but there were several people who had them, so I hope to see some pictures, including the group shots, soon. Able had a nice camera also, and took many pictures...Alas, he has to make it back home to England, and his camera was 35mm, not digital...We need to make the push now to convince him to scan and post what he did take. I'm sure they will be good!

Great party, and thanks go to everyone who attended, including Jose for doing a great job of getting us the reservation and taking care of the menu, the collection of funds, and the bill. You made the evening painless for the rest of us!

The attendance list as I saw it is below, and I may be wrong on a couple; I got several real world names, and alot of PD nicks...

Doug in OH
Gamble
Displaced Knick
Mr. & Mrs. RWB? (great story about Cheryl Miller, btw!!)
Roaming Gnome
Hicks
brichard
Kegboy
Grace
Mr. & Mrs. hoopsforlife
Shade
Able
Ragnar
Peck
UncleBuck
Doug
Jose Slaughter
Tim
Since86
Believe in Blue
wickedstick
MagicRat

I know there was at least one more person, maybe two...

We need to have another one of these before the season ends or right after!!

grace
04-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Mr. & Mrs. RWB? (great story about Cheryl Miller, btw!!)

Close, it was Mr. & Mrs. BillS. The Mrs. certainly knows basketball. If she's not posting she should.

heywoode
04-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Close, it was Mr. & Mrs. BillS. The Mrs. certainly knows basketball. If she's not posting she should.

Aw shoot, I knew that!! I just plain forgot...Thanks Grace!

My apologies to BillS and Mrs. BillS....it's not that you weren't memorable, it's that I don't have a great memory! I remember now that Grace posted it, you introduced yourselves that way....

SoupIsGood
04-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Let's have a grace recap! Yeeeeaaaahhh!!!!

btw very nice recap heywoode :)

Kegboy
04-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Let's have a grace recap! Yeeeeaaaahhh!!!!

btw very nice recap heywoode :)

Ignore

That's your grace recap.

Pacersfan46
04-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Unfortunately I just couldn't make it. I was just way too tired. I was at work for 8 hours, went to get abel for 4, went to the game for a couple, helped find a hotel for ... what? 4 more hours. Went straight to work for 12 hours, and when I got home .....

DEAD!

I couldn't get my *** up to do anything. I slept for 14 hours. Only reason I woke up then, was because people were doing woodwork on my house. The sound of a table saw, and hammering broke through my happy sleep time.

I'll get to the next one.

Pacersfan46
04-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Oh, and huge thank you to whoever left the tickets for Abel and a guest.

I volunteered long before I knew an extra ticket existed, but it was one hell of a plus. Thank you very much. Whoever you are. :laugh:

Double post baby, oooh yeah.

BillS
04-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Finally back in Basketball Hell (example: coming home from the airport I tried to catch the results of the Florida/George Mason game. City has three "sports" radio stations, it's NCAA Semis night and what do they have? Hockey, Arena Football, and a talk show about baseball. ARRRGGGGH!)

Brenda and I really enjoyed meeting everyone. Peck was a fantastic moderator who kept everyone involved. Uncle Buck is as skilled in person as on the forum. Ragnar only foamed at the mouth slightly when the conversation turned to Tinsley. In spite of all our fears, Tim didn't burst a blood vessel over Harrington. Doug is not a Borg, and neither is Hicks (I think he left the Ban Hammer in the car, though Grace's Ignore sign did prove somewhat useful :)). Upon meeting the real thing, I might have to vote differently in the next "Who is the best Kegboy" poll. Shade definitely needed to eat more pizza, and it was great to see some young guys like believeinblue, since86, and DiamondDave keeping us old farts honest - well, except for DisplacedKnick, who wouldn't hold that "Thank You, Reggie" sign no matter what we tried. And, I know MagicRat was there, but every time I tried to find him he looked like someone different...

Unfortunately, we had to leave Perkins before the Donnie Walsh brawl broke out, so I'm afraid I let my fellow Walsh <strike>Apologists</strike> Warriors down in the clutch - and I'm very disappointed I didn't get to hear DouginOH say "ol' buggeyes" even once.

Thanks, Jose, for putting it together, and thanks to Pacersfan46 for driving to Cincy to pick up able!

brichard
04-02-2006, 12:13 AM
I went to the original forum party and life just hasn't made it convenient for me to attend another one until now. And hey, what a great opportunity to meet friends from across the US (Bill and his wife) and across the globe with our friend able. Able crashed at my place and we just enjoyed watching yet another butt kicking of the Pacers.

Peck did do a great job of moderating and that is no small task for 20+ people. I definitely think Tim wins for being the most passionate of the night. It is good to see people stick to what they believe in.

I think on the topics:

1. Most believed Rick should go with a small contingent willing to wait and see what player moves could do. However, every man and woman agreed that Rick had lost this team. So, you get a new coach or you get a new (modified) team.

2. Al for Jax was debated, but I was comforted that most people left their hindsight at the door. If we could turn back time we all would swap Artest instead of Harrington, but some of us did not know how bad the trade would be as Jax was an unknown quantity.

3. JO the problem or solution was a pretty interesting question. As I remember it very few people were ready to lay this all at JO's feet. Lots of folks question his leadership/supporting cast, but there are a heck of a lot worse folks to lead your team than JO.

4. Kegboy started a point guard thread that had many different viewpoints represented. I don't think any of us are particularly happy with our production there, but many feel JT is as solid as any other player we could get. Could a better coach mold him in to the best player he can be? Emotions were mixed on the subject.

5. New coaches/potential coaches were mentioned. Former Pacer Mark Jackson seemed to be the clear favorite with other coaches mixed in. Peck was holding out for Derrick McKey.

6. Peck seemed fascinated with some Dale fellow. :confused:

7. I think Doug/Ohio wins for favorite moments when some team trash talked the Pacers only to hear his son say "We're up on you 3-0" Nice. :cool:

8. Bill S. is mean to kids who sit in front of him at Pacer games.

9. Doug brought up the hostile nature of the crowd and Doug/Ohio agreed. Dougie see, Dougie do. :nod:

10. Everybody missed Dancing Harry.

I think that is all I got. I had to leave at about 12:30 as I had to work today. Thanks to Ragnar who is picking able up tomorrow from my humble abode. As I've said before, attending forum parties is a blast. My best description is that it was like a live thread (without the smilies of course.)

brichard
04-02-2006, 12:13 AM
PS... where are the pictures?

Doug in CO
04-02-2006, 12:28 AM
7. I think Doug/Ohio wins for favorite moments when some team trash talked the Pacers only to hear his son say "We're up on you 3-0" Nice. :cool:

Game 4 in Boston in 04 round one

some kid thought he could trash talk my son!

Jose Slaughter
04-02-2006, 03:33 AM
I just got a chance to get on here after a very busy day.

I'd like to thank everyone that made it to FP XI. If you guys don't show this thing doesn't work

I'd like to welcome Able, Doug in OH, Grace, Heywoode, Mr. & Mrs. Bill S, Mrs. Hoops for Life, Since 86 & Wickedstick onto the forum parties veterans list. This, I think, was our largest freshman class every.

Peck, as everyone has mention has done an outstanding job keeping the conversation lively. These gatherings would work without him but they would not be nearly as well attended & only a fraction as interesting as they are with him leading us.

I've said it before & I'll say it now & again....

Thanks for taking this little idea & making it something special.

I'm sure Peck will do a recap once he has the time but I do want to add a couple thoughts.

1. The general mood of the group lastnight toward out team was very negitive, as it is on the board. What we need to remember is, we are the hard core Pacer fans & we are beginning to turn away from this team. The causal fan & the local companies that get season tickets to use as perks for their employees & out of town guest, most likely have already done so.

My wife is a casual fan & she lost interest after the finals loss.

Artest has taken a toll.

Reggie being gone has taken a toll.

The full extend of what has happened over the past couple seasons has yet to be felt. What is happening now, on the court, will only make things worse.

A lot of people noticed a large portion of the crowd gone after Reggies ceremony the other night.

This team has not bottomed out yet. They might get a new coach & half the players might be gone by next season but they have killed their fan base & that will take years to get back. There are darker days ahead for this franchise.

2. On a related note the last topic that I was at Perkins to discuss was "Do you trust Bird or Walsh to fix this"?

I think the group at the time was Grace, Shade, Kegboy, Roaming Gnome, Diamond Dave, Hicks, Gamble, Peck, Doug in OH, Uncle Buck, myself & I'm thinking maybe one other guy but I'm not sure.

With the state that most feel this team is in, & this is just the opinion of the 11 or so at Perkins at the time. Everyone but myself thought that Walsh & or Bird could not fix this team.

Take a look at that list of names again & tell me that that consensus doesn't scare you. I have a great respect for each & everyone of those posters & the basketball knowledge they bring to this board. Each & everyone one of them believe that neither Donny Walsh nor Larry Bird can correct what is wrong with this team.

Like I said, things are going to get worse.

I hope Bball is driving a very big wagon casue there are gonna be a lot of people jumping on it over the next several months.

I need to tell them both again & I might as well do it here.

Hicks & Able

I don't know what we'd be doing with out you two.

Thanks

The next party will be following the NBA draft in late June or early July.

Tim
04-02-2006, 11:55 AM
I would like to again apologize for my little outburst after what Peck said. I just find it shocking that Donnie resigned the-player-we-do-not-discuss after that incident.

For those who don't know what I am talking about, it really isn't that big of a deal, Peck said something unexpected and I reacted to it much the same way a fan reacts to a bad call by a ref.

Doug in CO
04-02-2006, 12:51 PM
There were several picture takers - could we get a few with some captions?

Lord Helmet
04-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Yeah, could we?

Mac_Daddy
04-02-2006, 02:01 PM
Heh, the Pizza King in Wabash is nothing special. I think that it is rather distasteful compared to others. Then again, it may just be that I'm from Wabash and have grown to dislike the boring town.

Unclebuck
04-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Well it was the most unique forum party I've been to, the most argumentative, the natives are getting very restless. I'll let Peck do his normal re-cap as he does it much better than I do.

It was great to meet Able, I hope he enjoyed his journey, and Brichard deserves a special thank you for allowing Able to stay with him, and to Ragnar for taking him back to Cincy.

I arrived at 5:50 and Shade and Able were the only two there, but soon we had a full house, but I did not leave Perkins until 3:50 AM, 10 hours that just amazes me, I usually get bored with things after about 45 minutes.

Peck as always deserves special mention for moderating and this was by far the most difficult party to moderate, a lot of very strong opinions.

Great to meet Brichard, BillS, Grace and Doug in OH, they all added so much. But I must say Doug wasn't nearly as hostile as I expected.

For those who have never been to one of these, you need to come to at least one, I always say it is like two months worth of the forum condenced into a few hours.

That's enough for now

Doug
04-02-2006, 02:24 PM

Mine aren't very good, since I was using my phone, but I'll try to get them posted later today.

Another fantastic party. It was great to meet all of the first timers, especially old-timers like BillS and DougInOH, and to see BRichard again.

Interestingly enough, I think there were 7 people at the 1st forum party. 4 of those (me, Jose, brichard, and rimfire (DisplacedKnick)) were at this edition.

Sorry I couldn't stay for the Perkin's edition. Although after I got home my wife said she wasn't expecting me until midnight, so it turns out I could have went for a while. Bummer.

As was mentioned, the mood was fairly negative toward the championship potential of this team, and toward the generally "likeability" of it. The consensus was that his team needs changes. Of course, there was no consensus on exactly what must be done. Whether changing the coach is enough, or changing some of the players, or a complete rebuilding. There was no love for the training staff, either.

I would also like to say it was great to meet Abel and to thank him in person for all he's done for us.

Edit:

Oh, and an extra "thank you" to Peck for the gift of the autographed Haywoode Workman card. I might have to get it framed.

And I'm surprised there weren't a few "unannouced" guests, with all of the people in town for the retirement game. So, if you're ever on the fence about going to one of these - get off the fence and come. Everybody's opinion is heard, and respected, even if nobody agrees with it. It's not a bunch of self-proclaimed 'experts' trying to show how smart they are, just a bunch of Pacer fans talking basketball.

Kaufman
04-02-2006, 02:25 PM
The masses want some pictures

MagicRat
04-02-2006, 02:52 PM
I only took a few pictures. I already posted the best group shot in the other thread.

I did catch Hicks in the middle of a daydream in one......
http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/hicksdaydream.jpg

Here's a picture of able's flowing locks as he directed some traffic for the group photo......
http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/able.jpg

Here's the only group photo I have with able in it. Unfortunately he decided to fidget with his glasses........
http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/group.jpg

18to88
04-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Who is everybody in the picture?

Jose Slaughter
04-02-2006, 03:11 PM
The 3 people seated are Mrs. Bill S, Hicks in the center & Able on the right.

Ragnar is on the far left holding the Reggie sign.

Bill S is to his left.

Roaming Gnome is holding another Reggie sign.

Grace is next

BRichard is in the red shirt

Hoops for Life in yellow with his wife standing in front of him.

Heywoode on the far right in blue

Back on the other end.......

Gamble, Doug & the profile of a happy Tim.

Right behind Bill S. is Displaced Knick in blue & Since 86 in red.

Right behind Roaming Gnome are Believe in Blue & in the back, Peck

Just behind Grace are Kegboy & Doug in OH in the rear.

To the left of Doug in OH is Shade.

Uncle Buck is in black right behind BRichard

I'm on the end.

I'm not seeing Wickedstick? Did he slip out before hand?

18to88
04-02-2006, 03:15 PM
I've seen some pictures from a previous party and for some reason I get Peck and Shade mixed up.

Unclebuck
04-02-2006, 03:26 PM
I've seen some pictures from a previous party and for some reason I get Peck and Shade mixed up.

LOL. Sorry, I had to laugh at that

DisplacedKnick
04-02-2006, 04:30 PM
I decided to skip the Perkins thing myself - there was a whole bunch of pentup Pacers angst floating around. Don't think I had the energy for that. Of course if we'd been griping about the Knicks I'd still be talking.

I still don't understand why I was boo'd. :confused:

Kstat
04-02-2006, 04:36 PM

Maybe it was the Larry Johnson jersey. Nah, nevermind.

One of these times I'll show up and take the heat of you...

Next time you walk in do the "LJ" sign wth your arms. That'll show em.

Shade
04-02-2006, 04:41 PM
I decided to skip the Perkins thing myself - there was a whole bunch of pentup Pacers angst floating around. Don't think I had the energy for that. Of course if we'd been griping about the Knicks I'd still be talking.

You had a classic reply to the boos, though. :laugh:

Shade
04-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Maybe it was the Larry Johnson jersey. Nah, nevermind.

One of these times I'll show up and take the heat of you...

I was hoping Shags would show, but alas... :(

Doug
04-02-2006, 05:52 PM
My pictures. No time for captions, though.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/~doug/pictures/forum01.jpg

http://www.pacersdigest.com/~doug/pictures/forum02.jpg

http://www.pacersdigest.com/~doug/pictures/forum03.jpg

http://www.pacersdigest.com/~doug/pictures/forum04.jpg

http://www.pacersdigest.com/~doug/pictures/forum05.jpg

http://www.pacersdigest.com/~doug/pictures/forum06.jpg

http://www.pacersdigest.com/~doug/pictures/forum07.jpg

http://www.pacersdigest.com/~doug/pictures/forum08.jpg

http://www.pacersdigest.com/~doug/pictures/forum09.jpg

http://www.pacersdigest.com/~doug/pictures/forum10.jpg

wickedstick
04-02-2006, 06:27 PM
The 3 people seated are Mrs. Bill S, Hicks in the center & Able on the right.

Ragnar is on the far left holding the Reggie sign.

Bill S is to his left.

Roaming Gnome is holding another Reggie sign.

Grace is next

BRichard is in the red shirt

Hoops for Life in yellow with his wife standing in front of him.

Heywoode on the far right in blue

Back on the other end.......

Gamble, Doug & the profile of a happy Tim.

Right behind Bill S. is Displaced Knick in blue & Since 86 in red.

Right behind Roaming Gnome are Believe in Blue & in the back, Peck

Just behind Grace are Kegboy & Doug in OH in the rear.

To the left of Doug in OH is Shade.

Uncle Buck is in black right behind BRichard

I'm on the end.

I'm not seeing Wickedstick? Did he slip out before hand?

I apologize for slipping out. I had an emergency call from work, I had to rush downtown to the Lilly complex to help finish a project we were working on.

On the trip to work I thought about one of the questions asked to me, what is your favorite memory of the Pacers. Well I had thought about it more and will post it in a new post.

Kaufman
04-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Was there a revolt by your experimental mice? :)

wickedstick
04-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Nope, we had to get important documents ready to send to the FDA.

Kaufman
04-02-2006, 07:10 PM
What kinda drugs are ya making?

Unclebuck
04-02-2006, 07:12 PM
One of the more interesting conversations that took place around 2:00 AM was about possibly getting Kevin Garnett, I believe the question asked by Doug-OH, - what is the most you'd be willing to give up to get KG.

I said I'd trade J.O., Tinsley and Harrison, no one else agreed with me, no one else was wiling to give up that much. There were a couple of people who didn't want KG at all, they didn't like his leadership. My point was I thought KG would play the best ball of his career his first 2 or 3 seasons here.

I think most would give up J.O and JT for KG.

Another discussion point was about Larry Bird. And I was shocked at how no one who was still at the party had any confidence in him to turn this thing around, and how no one liked the moves he has made.

The Bird discussion led to a Walsh discussion, there was a little more faith in DW than in Bird, my point was that a mistake was obviously made by DW in building the team soley around J.O and Artest, but I agreed with the approach at the time, after I said that I expected Peck to rip DW about this decision, and Peck was understanding, as we discussed DW by his own admission, "fell in love with talent" Peck even admitted that DW seemed to try to go for talent at the expense of character, by that DW did try for a championship.

There were some great discussions at Perkins. Although I think there was a spy in our midst, we were seated in our own area, nobody else was around, until some man sat down at the far end, he was supposedly working on his laptop, but I think he was taking notes and recording what we were talking about. Probably one of MagicRats minions.

Shade
04-02-2006, 07:18 PM
One of te more interesting conversations that took place around 2:00 AM was about possibly getting Kevin Garnett, I beleive the question asked by Doug-OH, what is the most you'd be willing to give up to get KG.

I said I'd trade J.O., Tinsley and Harrison, no one else agreed with me, no one else was wiling to give up that much. There were a couple of people who didn't want KG at all, they didn't like his leadership. My point was I thought KG would play the best ball of his career his first 2 or 3 seasons here.

Another discussion point was about Larry Bird. And I was shocked at how no one who was still at the party had any confidence in him to turn this thing around, and how no one liked the moves he had made.

The Bird discussion led to a Walsh discussion, there was a little more faith in DW than in Bird, my point was that a mistake was obviously made by DW in building the team soley around J.O and Artest, but I agreed with the approach at the time, at this point I expected Peck to rip DW about this decision, and Peck was understanding, as we discussed DW by his own admission, "fell in love with talent" Peck even admitted that DW seemed to try to go for talent at the expense of character, by that DW did try for a championship.

There were some great discussions at Perkins. Although I think there was a spy in our midst, we were seated in our own area, nobody else was around, until some man sat down and he was supposedly working on his laptop, but I think he was taking notes and recording what we were talking about. Probably one of MagicRats minions.

Ha, I was also wondering about the guy with the laptop.

Kaufman
04-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Would you agree UB that we really don't know who is running the show be it LB or DW? Obviously its a mix but we don't know who has the controlling shares - one might assume that its DW simply given his title is higher and he's got seniority. I think the only way you see what LB can do is waiting for DW to retire - and he doesn't want to do that, obviously, without a ring to show for it.

As far as the Artest thing goes - well I don't think we knew what we were getting in him when we traded Rose. I think when I remember back to those days, I was more excited about the potential for Brad Miller and saw Ron as a decent throw in - the kind of throw in that made the trade happen. I can't totally remember. But I think from a skills standpoint, Artest became better than what we had imagined. In retrospect, Ron could carry a team and I don't know that there was a need for JO. JO got the team to believe he would be leading it, but in reality, Artest was the best player and there in lies the jealousy that lead to earlier this year and the trade.

Believe_in_blue
04-02-2006, 07:31 PM

ME^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[/quote]

Unclebuck
04-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Would you agree UB that we really don't know who is running the show be it LB or DW? Obviously its a mix but we don't know who has the controlling shares - one might assume that its DW simply given his title is higher and he's got seniority. I think the only way you see what LB can do is waiting for DW to retire - and he doesn't want to do that, obviously, without a ring to show for it.

As far as the Artest thing goes - well I don't think we knew what we were getting in him when we traded Rose. I think when I remember back to those days, I was more excited about the potential for Brad Miller and saw Ron as a decent throw in - the kind of throw in that made the trade happen. I can't totally remember. But I think from a skills standpoint, Artest became better than what we had imagined. In retrospect, Ron could carry a team and I don't know that there was a need for JO. JO got the team to believe he would be leading it, but in reality, Artest was the best player and there in lies the jealousy that lead to earlier this year and the trade.

No one had any problem with the Rose for Brad and Ron trade. But every move thereafter was building the team around J.O and Ron. The Al trade, not signing Brad among other things.

I think it is clear that Donnie Walsh is still running the show. The only move that is 100% Bird is Saras

Peck
04-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Guys, I just don't remember enough of what was said to do an accurate recap this time around. There were just so many people that I honestly don't remember everything & honestly I just didn't have time today to do it so as the day has gone on I've forgotten even more.

Sofice it to say the overall impression was negative about the current group of Pacers. There was little to no hope for playoff advancement & there wasn't a real strong overwhelming feeling that things will be fixed any time soon.

It was good to see old friends again & it was great to finally meet another Core Team member live in person. Like Scott H., Doug Adams is my hero.

I don't think we give Jose Slaughter enough credit for all of this. It was his idea in the first place to get everybody together years ago & he is the one who arranges for our food & our place to be at.

So, again thanks Jose.

Also it was a real treat to finally meet Able. I hope he enjoys his card, I only wish I could have given him more.

Anyway it was a fun night but I was a little dissapointed that Magic Rat only got to stay for a short time, but I think he was there in spirit (or spy) at Perkins.

Unclebuck
04-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Peck, thanks for the Reggie Miller and Woody card

brichard
04-02-2006, 08:49 PM
My pictures. No time for captions, though.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/~doug/pictures/forum01.jpg

Heywoode asks Displaced Knick when Isiah is adding Jack to their roster.

Doug simmers between Heywood and Believe in Blue. He looks calm... but is he? :shudder:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/~doug/pictures/forum03.jpg
Displaced Knick, our waitress, Mrs. S, Bill S., Roaming Gnome, Hicks, and a Startlingly handsome man.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/~doug/pictures/forum04.jpg
Me, Kegboy, Grace, Hoops4Wife, Hoops4Life, Shade

http://www.pacersdigest.com/~doug/pictures/forum05.jpg

Hoops 4 Life, Shade, a blurry Able, Peck, Uncle Buck

http://www.pacersdigest.com/~doug/pictures/forum06.jpg
It's Dark! It's Dark!

http://www.pacersdigest.com/~doug/pictures/forum07.jpg
It's Light! It's Light!

http://www.pacersdigest.com/~doug/pictures/forum08.jpg

Everybody on this side again.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/~doug/pictures/forum09.jpg

Jose and Tim. Tim is using a mind probe to let Jose know the value of Al Harrington. Style or substance he asks!

http://www.pacersdigest.com/~doug/pictures/forum10.jpg

Drink me and grow small!

heywoode
04-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Heywoode asks Displaced Knick when Isiah is adding Jack to their roster.

Dind't we decide that we had to sign Jack to a max contract, then send him to NY??

brichard
04-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Dind't we decide that we had to sign Jack to a max contract, then send him to NY??

Fo' Shizzle!

DisplacedKnick
04-02-2006, 10:49 PM

I think, "New York would!" was the pet answer whenever anyone asked

"Who'd take him?"

I lost track of exactly who that was used with.

18to88
04-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Stephen Jackson is way too productive for the amount of money he makes for NY to take him.

Jose Slaughter
04-03-2006, 01:28 AM
Another discussion point was about Larry Bird. And I was shocked at how no one who was still at the party had any confidence in him to turn this thing around, and how no one liked the moves he has made.

Well, not exactly everyone.

DisplacedKnick
04-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Stephen Jackson is way too productive for the amount of money he makes for NY to take him.

That's why he needs a max deal first.

RWB
04-03-2006, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the recap and it's great to see the party continue to grow.

James, I promise to make the next one, just turned out to be the wrong time for the Mrs. and I on this one. She was reallying looking forward to meeting some of the lady fans this time. Afraid it is one of those real life situations where basketball is definitely secondary with the Mrs. in the process of saying goodbye to her loved one (Mom). Great lady who had an unbelievable passion for basketball. Started out as a Celtic fan, but of course we converted her to the Pacers way before we were able to get her Dad that way.

Jose Slaughter
04-03-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm so sorry to hear the sad news.

Please tell the Mrs. that our thoughts are with you all.

RWB
04-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Thanks friend, I'll let her know.

able
04-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Well i made it back, in one piece, but that I only found out today (the one piece part).

To start with the end; I got a serious bout of the flu hitting me on Saturday and i was feeling far more dead then alive when I got on the plane, thankfully I had 3 seats to myself so I flew lying down.
When I finally came home, all I could do was go to bed, take medicine and hope I would return to the living some time.

It is happening slowly.

There are so many people I want to and need to thank in this post that I sincerely hope you forgive me if you are not mentioned.

As most of you know I was planning on attending the game for quite a while, but having learned lesssons in the past, I did not hold my breath.
Of course disaster struck forcing me to cancel my ticket, I simply could not afford the price.

A customer of mine heard this and told me to "see if you can find a reasonable priced ticket and I'll see what I can do" however this was Wednesday evening March 29th at 8 or 9 PM.
To stand any chance of attending the game some things needed to synch badly.
I found out that London - Chicago is more expensive then London - Detroit, despite the fact that the Det flight stops over in Chicago.
I found out that flying into Indy is most expensive.
And after a hot tip from Ragnar I found "Orbitz" and a ticket to Cincinatti.
I reported the availibility and price, with some but little hope, after all it was still a good chunk of money, I was told he'd get back to me quickly.
At 11 PM (March 29th) I was told that an e-ticket had been booked for me, have fun.

Besides being over the moon I also realised that the flight was to go out via Amsterdam and I had to leave the house no later then 5 AM in order to be everywhere on time.
That gave me 6 hours to prepare for the trip.

So despite a long day I decided not to go to bed, enjoy the Pacersgame, grab a shower and shoot off.

I managed to find some cash, be it a very modest amount, for my stay and souvenirs, and called upon my friends here to pick me up in CinCin.
Pacersfan46 was the gentleman to pick me up, I think I was there 5 minutes when he showed up and I was glad to meet the first board member in real life and finding out he was a normal human being.
Thanks to him picking me up I would be in time for the game, being such a late hour planned trip, tickets were of course not at hand, but wait... the MagicRat was there! and magically 2 great tickets for pacersfan46 and me were at our disposal.
Here a first word of thanks to Ragnar as well, which will be repeated throughout this report, since he was in a large part responsible for things going so well.

We arrived at Conseco about an hour before game time, and coming out of the parking garage a remark from pacersfan46 made me realize that I forgot my camera bag, it was still in the car!
Imagine traveling all that time and distance to only forget your camera!
So back to the car it was.

Slight dissapointment and forebode of things to come: no JO...

Now before I am starting to relate the same story that everyone has seen and experienced, so I wont, a few things:
-Conseco Filedhouse is a magnificent building, I would almost say a temple for the sport of basketball.
-MR has a lovely wife, though not very talkative, though perhaps the same could be said of me :)
-Injury=Indy-bug; surely it must be, JO was out already Jax followed, Granger limping to the dressingroom

The game ? was there a game ? clearly most people in attendance where there for Reggie, and I could have done without the booing of the players on the floor,

The ceremony, moving and on the other hand so happy to be there.

Close to the end of the game, Hicks and Shade found us. What a pleasure to meet those guys finally
They were kind enough ot give me a guided tour of CFH and the guards understanding enough to let us through closed parts, brilliant, did I say temple? make that shrine!

Now I was offered 2 places to stay, however, one since I had decided not to go, had gone on a holiday and the other though still leaving open the invite was sick and missed the game all together and I felt it not right to call upon him at such a late hour, so I was faced with a dilemma, there was no way I could afford a downtown hotel and finding a cheapy seemed very hard to, in the end we found a Red Roof and Shade was nice enough to drop me there, though the $ 115 including taxes was the highest rate they could come up with, thanks to the FinalFour.
Talking about where to stay and a lot of other things, we were (still) on the steps of Conseco, and watched among others JO come through the practise court and saw a totally unknown side of Danny Granger.

Anyway, after a night sleep, I was awoken by the phone asking me whether I was planning to check out, which I was, and my checkout time was kindly extended with an hour.

I found out I was very near the Casletin mall and PIzza King, so a $ 4 taxi ride got me exactly there, Pizza King, be it that it was 1 in the afternoon, but I was bold enough to step inside and ask if I could leave my suitcase there for the afternoon :)
Inside they were just closing up and one gentleman was pre-ordering something, once I enquired if it was possible to leave my bag, (which it was) talk went to the Pacers and Reggie, the gentleman I refered to earlier was a bg Reggie game and only in town for the game as well, he showed me his "31" tribal tatoo and it looked very nice.
Then I went for a stroll around the shops there and on to the mall. I needed some more film and a conversion plug for my chargers, having of course forgotten the 10 I have in the house. Do you think they sell these anywhere ? no chance :) I ended up buying a charger for my blackberry and my phone survived thanks to my habit of carrying a spare battery.

I struggled back to the Pizza King close to 5 and was the first one there, nah nah :D

The party ? AMAZING
great fun, great talk great people, makes you want to do this at least twice a year!
For all those who attended: it was an honour and a pleasure to meet you and spend the night in your company, at Pizza King and at "perkins".
Bills and his wife kindly offered me a berth for the night, but Brich told me since his wife and kids were out of town he could offer me a berth for both nights, which I gladly accepted.
Al that was left was staying in touch with Ragnar for the ride to Cincin on Sunday.

Now you all expect me to talk about the wild times I had with brich, but alas, the Flu caught me and I was out for the count.

Most of the remainder of the trip went by me, as in a haze, I enjoyed every minute though and am 100% sure I will repeat this soon.

Peck my thanks for the Rik Smits card, an unexpected gem of a gift.

Thanks to all with the extra care: Brich, UB, Hicks, Peck, Shade, Pacerfan46, Ragnar, Bills & wife, Magic Rat & wife

I did take some pictures, and no I do not do digital, so I will have them digitized if possible tomorrow and post them after this.

Undoubtedly I will refer to this a few times :)

Ragnar
04-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Glad to see you are home and starting to feel better. I was a little worried watching you limp towards the terminal that you would be sick for a week or two.

SoupIsGood
04-04-2006, 08:36 PM
WOW that's awesome Able. :)

(except for being sick of course)

Lord Helmet
04-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Sounds like a crazy two days, able!

Glad you had a chance to visit Indy and Conseco! :cool:

brichard
04-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Glad to see you are home and starting to feel better. I was a little worried watching you limp towards the terminal that you would be sick for a week or two.

Yeah, I am glad he is feeling better. I kept telling him that he couldn't die b/c I didn't want to fill out the police report. "Ah, so your wife and kids are out of town and you met this guy on the Internet..." :mygod:

Pacersfan46
04-04-2006, 08:43 PM
It was a pleasure to meet you able.

Maybe next time, you can give me some more warning about needing a ride. ;) Of course I'm sure you'd like some more warning on getting ready to come here as well.

Sorry to hear you got sick though. At least you're home safe.

Unclebuck
04-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I am glad he is feeling better. I kept telling him that he couldn't die b/c I didn't want to fill out the police report. "Ah, so your wife and kids are out of town and you met this guy on the Internet..." :mygod:

Yeh, no one would have understood. And all of us would have denied knowing anything about either of you

grace
04-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Yeh, no one would have understood. And all of us would have denied knowing anything about either of you

And Magic Rat being, well, Magic Rat, he would have erased all evidence that either of you were anywhere near any of us. :mib:

Will Galen
04-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Glad to hear about your trip Able! That was a rotten time to come down with the flu though. Of course it could have hit you on your flight over and made the entire trip a total disaster. Glad you are feeling better, and thanks for an interesting post!

I'm looking forward to your pics!

Big Smooth
04-05-2006, 06:40 PM
One of the more interesting conversations that took place around 2:00 AM was about possibly getting Kevin Garnett, I believe the question asked by Doug-OH, - what is the most you'd be willing to give up to get KG.

I'd deal JO, Tinsley & Harrison for KG. I'd pull that trigger with no further thought.

It is official, I need to attend the forum party. I am moving back to Indy soon which makes it easier. I've hedged and hawed about it in the past. I'll be at one soon.

Peck
04-06-2006, 12:24 AM
Dammit!!!!!!

In all of this I forgot to give my one gift that I had brought to the party.
I had an Anthony Johnson autographed card that I was going to give to Ragnar & I totally spaced it.:devil:

Of course that still wouldn't top my firefighters for Kerry T-shirt from Btown:mad:

Have I told you lately that you are a B@stard?:D

btowncolt
04-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Of course that still wouldn't top my firefighters for Kerry T-shirt from Btown

I was beginning to wonder if it had made an appearance.

You know I :love: you.