PDA

View Full Version : Bird at halftime

McKeyFan
03-31-2006, 12:04 PM
Here's a sort of paraphrase of the short interview with Larry Bird at halftime last night. This is a generally accurate portrayal of the interview. The stuff in brackets is obviously editorial commentary:

Reporter: Well, Larry, I'm sure you guys really miss Reggie's leadership for the team.

Larry Bird: Oh, no doubt. He really led well, especially by example. [i.e. no one leads by example now.]

R: Who are you looking to to replace that leadership?

LB: It's hard to say. [i.e. If you think I'm gonna say Jermaine O'Neal, you're crazy.]

R: Well, let's talk about the playoffs. How do you think the Pacers will do?

LB: Well, it's a little too premature to talk about the playoffs right now.

[Pause. Larry provides new unsolicited information.] Let's talk about this summer. [Memo to Larry: this summer is less mature than than the playoffs. But I can appreciate your desire to talk about something relevant.] We're going to have to take a hard look at things and make the changes necessary to move forward.

Larry made it easy to read between the lines. Let's just hope he has the ability to act on his clear insinuations.

CableKC
03-31-2006, 02:47 PM
It took the ownership ( and many of us fans ) 2 failed seasons to see that Artest was no good for us......let's see how long it takes for them to realize that something needs to happen.

Kaufman
03-31-2006, 06:45 PM
I wanted to thank you for posting that interview with him - I was in a bar and couldn't hear his comments very well during the interview. But I'm glad that he's realizing that changes need to happen. I don't necessarily agree with your Artest editorializations but otherwise I think you're dead on. Thanks again.

BlueNGold
03-31-2006, 10:00 PM
Here's a sort of paraphrase of the short interview with Larry Bird at halftime last night. This is a generally accurate portrayal of the interview. The stuff in brackets is obviously editorial commentary:

Reporter: Well, Larry, I'm sure you guys really miss Reggie's leadership for the team.

Larry Bird: Oh, no doubt. He really led well, especially by example. [i.e. no one leads by example now.]

R: Who are you looking to to replace that leadership?

LB: It's hard to say. [i.e. If you think I'm gonna say Jermaine O'Neal, you're crazy.]

R: Well, let's talk about the playoffs. How do you think the Pacers will do?

LB: Well, it's a little too premature to talk about the playoffs right now.

[Pause. Larry provides new unsolicited information.] Let's talk about this summer. [Memo to Larry: this summer is less mature than than the playoffs. But I can appreciate your desire to talk about something relevant.] We're going to have to take a hard look at things and make the changes necessary to move forward.

Larry made it easy to read between the lines. Let's just hope he has the ability to act on his clear insinuations.

LB: "It's hard to say."

Man, that says so much, without saying anything.

Bball
03-31-2006, 10:27 PM
I may be wrong, and I am sure someone will correct me if I am, but I'm not sure TPTB were ever officially sold on JO's ability to lead this team... they just weren't in a position (that they were comfortable with) to gamble and risk losing him (and watching him do it somewhere else).

...Bball

McKeyFan
03-31-2006, 10:32 PM
I wanted to thank you for posting that interview with him - I was in a bar and couldn't hear his comments very well during the interview. But I'm glad that he's realizing that changes need to happen. I don't necessarily agree with your Artest editorializations but otherwise I think you're dead on. Thanks again.

Oh, you mean the avatar giving Ronnie horns?

It's probably time to change that. I actually am an Artest fan, but did that for Peck a while back right after he had a written a post dubbing Ronnie "Lucifer." Originally, I had Dale with those horns after he had switched camps. (Since Peck calls Derrick "Satan," I made an avatar suggesting the opposite.)

Kaufman
04-01-2006, 01:12 AM
Whoops! McKey fan, I too loved McKey and Artest still. Miss both of them. As far as what I meant about editorializations - I accidently read CableKC's note in the same breadth as yours

"It took the ownership ( and many of us fans ) 2 failed seasons to see that Artest was no good for us......let's see how long it takes for them to realize that something needs to happen."

I don't agree that Ron was no good for us - I in fact think we traded the wrong superstar (I use that term looooosely). Unfortunately Ron pushed the subject too early for my taste - we were just starting to build some confidence in him, but it was gonna take him a year before I would have traded JO and been enough satisfied that Ron could be "the guy".

Arcadian
04-01-2006, 01:22 AM
I'm not big into reading betweens the lines. So I don't really know if that was what Larry is thinking or not.

However were he so transparent I think that would suck having a front office who feels comfortable in communicating that he has given up on the team publically.

Los Angeles
04-01-2006, 01:29 AM
I'm not big into reading betweens the lines. So I don't really know if that was what Larry is thinking or not.

However were he so transparent I think that would suck having a front office who feels comfortable in communicating that he has given up on the team publically.
Or maybe it's a last resort attempt to motivate them.