PDA

View Full Version : It's Getting Bleak.....(My personal thoughts on game VS. Phoenix) Post-Game Thread?

sweabs
03-31-2006, 12:22 AM
f

pizza guy
03-31-2006, 12:31 AM
Larry & Donnie - the experiment is over with now. Things didn't work out. Let's not try and fool ourselves into thinking this project needs 'tweaks'. It doesn't. Let's get something new going - a new direction. Let's have a vision - because the guys right now have little direction as a cohesive unit.

Well, I was going to post these same thoughts, but I'll just quote them instead. Keep Danny and David for sure, I'd like to keep Sarunas as well, and let's see what we can get from basically everyone else - even JO at this point.

Unclebuck
03-31-2006, 12:34 AM
Yes changes are needed, but tonight the team was just physically and mentally exhausted, it is what I call a schedule loss - due to the number of games they've played over the past 4 weeks.

That doesn't mean changes aren't needed, and I'm certainly not ready to put DH on the side of those I want to keep - not by a long shot

Kaufman
03-31-2006, 12:34 AM
Jeez dude, that kind of writing would have taken me 2 weeks for a paper back in English Composition class in high school. Props.

sweabs
03-31-2006, 12:42 AM
g

McClintic Sphere
03-31-2006, 12:43 AM
I did not like Tinsley's game tonight. 4 turnovers - some careless ones again. And shooting 4-8 from the free throw line doesn't cut it. It didn't look like he came to tonight's game mentally prepared - he just never seemed into the game. I realize that Nash is a real tough cover, but I didn't see much defensive intensity from Tinsley and oftentimes it seemed like his frustration got the best of him on the offensive end committing offensive fouls and just some real questionable plays.

That was one of the worst collective point guard performances I have ever witnessed. We rarely made anyone pay for helping out and everytime our guards drove they made us pay on a run out. The only time we looked like we were making Phoenix react to us was when we went Big and made Harrison the main weapon. Going small we got exploited quickly and easily on the defensive end. Lowlight: Sarunas trying to front Shawn Merion on the low block. Phoenix actually has an offense, which yielded them an open three or a dunk almost every time down the court. We, on the other hand, run sets or isolation, which may work for one or two possessions, but is easy to counter. Sitting back for a moment objectively, it was fun to watch Phoenix play a motion game where everyone on the floor could shoot, pass and take it to the rim. What a contrast that was to our miserable offensive slog through the bog.

Unclebuck
03-31-2006, 12:44 AM
Admittedly, the schedule has not favoured us, but since the 21st of March we have only played one more game than the Suns.

Yes and did you see the scores of the Suns last two games, they got drilled. The NBA schedule catches up with every team sooner or later.

sweabs
03-31-2006, 12:47 AM
gf

pizza guy
03-31-2006, 12:57 AM
UB, I agree, sometimes there are 'schedule losses.' But, c'mon, there are no excuses for this team any more. When every game looks like the last of an 8-game road trip, there are no excuses. Sure, it's the fourth game in five days, sure, we just lost a close one, yeah yeah yeah....we've heard all of these excuses and more. JO was out! SJax was out! JTins was just having a bad game! Blah, blah, blah....This team doesn't deserve the excuses we give them. I'm as optimistic of a person as you will ever find, but this team sucks. They are not mature enough, and truthfully not talented enough to beat the Suns, period.

PacerMan
03-31-2006, 01:10 AM
[QUOTE=bly has no business being one in this league. His experience at that spot has practically been limited to this year in the USA, yet he came out tonight and did a hell of a job on the offensive end. Part of professionalism is coming out and doing what is asked of you when you're called upon to do so, and Sarunas proved that he was capable of doing so tonight.

.[/QUOTE]

it's hoops. he's a guard. the 2 spot is a guard spot.
It's not THAT complicated........

18to88
03-31-2006, 01:13 AM
You guys complain about our players but all NBA players today are like that. They don't really give a ****. We'll never have those Pacers teams with players like Reggie, Mark Jackson, Antonio Davis, Dale Davis, Derrick McKey etc. again.

pizza guy
03-31-2006, 01:13 AM
It's a different mentality. The ideal (IMO) 1-2 combo was Mark Jackson and Reggie Miller. Mark had a pass-first mentality, but a decent shot when left open; Reggie obviously was the shooter. Sarunas has the PG mindset of pass-first, and RC tries to force him into the shooter position. It is actually quite different.

Unclebuck
03-31-2006, 01:14 AM
UB, I agree, sometimes there are 'schedule losses.' But, c'mon, there are no excuses for this team any more. When every game looks like the last of an 8-game road trip, there are no excuses. Sure, it's the fourth game in five days, sure, we just lost a close one, yeah yeah yeah....we've heard all of these excuses and more. JO was out! SJax was out! JTins was just having a bad game! Blah, blah, blah....This team doesn't deserve the excuses we give them. I'm as optimistic of a person as you will ever find, but this team sucks. They are not mature enough, and truthfully not talented enough to beat the Suns, period.

I'm not going to argue with you at all. but I'm not going to make any rash judgments based just on tonights game. And I think the scheudle is a very legitmate reason for the lack of energy

Let me say this, the game tonight honestly ruined the halftime ceremony for me. I will always have a bitter taste in my mouth and likely won't think too fondly of Reggie's jersey ceremony because of how the game went and how the team is currently playing.

sixthman
03-31-2006, 01:17 AM
Yes changes are needed, but tonight the team was just physically and mentally exhausted, it is what I call a schedule loss - due to the number of games they've played over the past 4 weeks.

I don't think the Suns schedule has been easier than ours. Can't in any way see tonight's loss as a schedule loss. We simply are not playing well as a team. The team has lost its confidence and is not playing with purpose.

sweabs
03-31-2006, 01:18 AM
fg

JBones19
03-31-2006, 01:20 AM
I enjoyed watching Tinsley come out late and sit on the bench with at least 3 min. left in halftime warmups and not even join the team, he could've practiced some free throws. And I also would be curious to see what S. Jax would score on the Wonderlic test- I think he may have the lowest basketball IQ in the league.

-J

pizza guy
03-31-2006, 01:29 AM
I'm not making rash judgments either. This is what we've been watching for most of the season. The team is lethargic and lazy, making stupid plays and losing their heads. And, it's been like that ALL SEASON. Whether or not this game was a schedule loss isn't the big issue, really. I just don't think they deserve the excuse.

Jermaniac
03-31-2006, 01:36 AM
We suck, and when you suck you dont win games. Thats just how it is. This is easily the lowest point of the season for me, much worse then when Ron asked for a trade. This is horrible, they are going out there just to get the game over with and go home. I'm not even getting mad anymore cause if they dont care I dont care either.

grace
03-31-2006, 01:43 AM
I'll make a rash judgement. The Pacers aren't making the playoffs.

Hate me all you want. As of 10:30 Thursday night I am offically a full fledged Chicago Bulls fan.

Kstat
03-31-2006, 01:50 AM
I'll make a rash judgement. The Pacers aren't making the playoffs.

Hate me all you want. As of 10:30 Thursday night I am offically a full fledged Chicago Bulls fan.

....so you're switching from a team that's tanking to a team that's tanking worse?

pizza guy
03-31-2006, 01:54 AM
:rotflmao:

grace
03-31-2006, 02:09 AM
....so you're switching from a team that's tanking to a team that's tanking worse?

They're not tanking worse. I think they're only a game and a half out of the playoffs. Yes, they're remaining schedule is less than favorable and they can't play 48 consistent minutes, but I'm on the bandwagon with Stacey King. :cheering:

Jose Slaughter
03-31-2006, 02:16 AM
I'm actually a closet Boston Celtic fan.

This is just step 1 of my 12 step program.

Mourning
03-31-2006, 06:24 PM
You know why I'm real frustrated after tonight's loss? Maybe it has something to do with the circumstances. We just had one of the greatest players to ever don a Pacers jersey retire his number. This was a guy that many of the current players were fortunate enough to play with and learn from. So Reggie was back in the building today, so we could pay our tributes. You would think that our guys would be the slightest bit inspired by this commendation. After all, this is one of the all-time greats; a guy who embodies every bit of the word "professionalism" and "character"..

Larry Bird spoke about "taking a real hard look" at these guys over the summer, and that's about the only thing I'm looking forward to at this point. Because quite frankly, after tonights display especially, some of these players are wearing thin on me. Once again JO is out, and will likely try to "fight through this" until the end of the season. People speak of Brad Miller breaking down - but I mean geeze. This is the 2nd year in a row now.

Larry & Donnie - the experiment is over with now. Things didn't work out. Let's not try and fool ourselves into thinking this project needs 'tweaks'. It doesn't. Let's get something new going - a new direction. Let's have a vision - because the guys right now have little direction as a cohesive unit.

Great wording, that I 100% aggree with.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Eindar
03-31-2006, 06:47 PM
The way we're playing right now, there's no way the Bulls don't catch us.

Evan_The_Dude
03-31-2006, 07:29 PM
I was excited to be moving back home to Indy in enough time to catch the last 2 regular season home games. Now, I couldn't care less. I'm not wasting my money to watch them give a pathetic effort. I sure as hell won't go to any playoff games. The offseason moves will determine whether or not I get season tickets for next year.

I can accept us being injury free, but just not having enough depth on the roster to be a playoff team (like the Hawks). But This team is only missing Reggie Miller and Dale Davis in comparison to last years team. In their places we have Danny and Peja... BOTH of which are putting up bigger numbers than Reggie and Dale did! Yet, this years team can't surpass the mark of last years team.

I hope they go out and get us a couple of veterans with the ability to lead by example and or vocally. I want them to get guys that know how the hell to play team ball without trying to boost their individual stats. Guys that know how to manage a shotclock.

I'm not going to name who should stay and who should go, but I will say that time is up for the majority of the players on this roster for one reason or another. I love them all, and I'll support them all (from my couch that is), but some of them just don't get it.

I think Carlisle needs to step up and put the guys in the starting lineup that are truely earning their time, instead of putting the guys there that provide the biggest stats.

BlueNGold
03-31-2006, 09:51 PM
It is time to gut this team and go in full rebuilding mode. I don't think this is an over-reaction. It has taken awhile for me to come to that conclusion.

Our best veteran players are JO, Peja, Tinsley and Jackson. Sorry folks, but that is not going to win a championship. Too many health issues (both physical and mental) for this crew to win it. This is no longer a group of young players. They are all veterans and, other than Peja, have not shown much maturity and professionalism. ...and they are not going to get much if any better at this point. You gotta know when to fold'em, and it's time to fold'em.

Hopefully this group does not get a chance to embarrass themselves in the playoffs. It would be better for the franchise at this particular point to be in the lottery. We need to hang on to Granger, Harrison and maybe Foster...possibly Johnson (I can't believe I said that). We can only hope that Harrison matures and stops acting like an a$$ too. We need better chemistry and more maturity on this team....along with the talent.

Evan_The_Dude
03-31-2006, 11:08 PM
We definitely need to keep Granger, Foster, Cro, and possibly AJ. Those are the guys that "Get It". There are others that I'd like to stay, but I wouldn't be upset if they didn't.