PDA

View Full Version : NBA To Ban Tights next season

Jermaniac
03-30-2006, 06:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2390599

This is just pathetic. So the hell what if they want to wear tights because of the look. Who gives a ****? How is wearing tights going to make the game worse?

Next thing its going to be no more cornrows,no more tats,headbands,armbands. SMFH

Kstat
03-30-2006, 06:31 PM
Sorry, but Dwayne Wade looks like a woman with dark pantyhose.

Thank you, NBA. You finally got rid of something I hated.

Diamond Dave
03-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Really, I'm not sure what the big deal is with tights? I understood the dress code, but the tights? Don't they help prevent injury?

Oh well.

317Kim
03-30-2006, 06:34 PM
It doesn't bother me much. Shouldn't affect our guys either, none of them wear tights. It would really suck if they started banning headbands, armbands, fingerbands etc though.

Tights just keep the guys' legs warm right?

Jermaniac
03-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Really, I'm not sure what the big deal is with tights? I understood the dress code, but the tights? Don't they help prevent injury?

Oh well.I agree I understand making guys wear a suit to the game. But guys have stuff that helps them during the game why the hell take it away from them.

The future uniform of NBA basketball players, that is what they are going to be playing in, in a few years.
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/scorecard/05/19/truth.rumors.nba/t1_oneal_getty.jpg

SoupIsGood
03-30-2006, 06:39 PM
They will ban hair color next season, everybody must dye themselves with the selected offical NBA hair color.

No being bald either.

Jermaniac
03-30-2006, 06:41 PM
And if you have tats on your arms you will be forced to wear a uniform with sleaves.

Jaydawg2270
03-30-2006, 06:42 PM
And if you have tats on your arms you will be forced to wear a uniform with sleaves.

Turtle Necks

317Kim
03-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Dont forget the wristbands!

sweabs
03-30-2006, 06:58 PM
That's stupid - why are they banning them?

That spandex material is great for helping with injuries and preventing any re-occurence. I've never worn the full-leg thing, but I wear the shorter compression shorts when I'm playing soccer/basketball/volleyball ever since I tore my hamstring and was instructed to do so from doctors.

It helps keep muscles in place...and yes, :eyebrow:

Moses
03-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Wow.

You know, I never realized how many different players wore tights. I think they look pretty cool on some players like Wade. I don't see why they would be banned though..They don't really hurt anyone and Stackhouse and a few other guys said that it actually helps them stay warm and keep the blood flowing.

Unclebuck
03-30-2006, 07:04 PM
I hated the look also

Kstat
03-30-2006, 07:05 PM
hey don't really hurt anyone and Stackhouse and a few other guys said that it actually helps them stay warm and keep the blood flowing.

Players who wish to wear tights are required to send the league a written request from a team doctor detailing a "medical need" for the leggings.

Some of you guys really need to read the WHOLE article before commenting.....

Any player with a medical reason to wear them can still do so. DOn't get your panties in a wad.

Jermaniac
03-30-2006, 07:08 PM
So the hell what? What if they want to wear them just because? Whats so bad about it that it has to be banned.

Kstat
03-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Frankly I think they look stupid, so its hard for me to complain about it.

Slick Pinkham
03-30-2006, 07:16 PM
knee-high Michael Cooper socks look more stupid

old school, sure, but goofy looking

Lirica
03-30-2006, 07:27 PM
..makes you wonder if they will make Rip Hamilton get rid of that face mask also..

Kstat
03-30-2006, 07:30 PM
..makes you wonder if they will make Rip Hamilton get rid of that face mask also..

They have yet to ban something medically beneficial, so its doubtful.

sweabs
03-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Kstat - what you quoted still doesn't seem fair. What if someone wants to wear them for preventative measures? Will, and can a doctor write a note up for that?

I think this is stupid - let em play.

cramerica
03-30-2006, 07:41 PM
The look was stupid and I'm glad they are doing this. I don't really understand why alot of people are upset at the league for mandating this. If the league wants to ban it, then that's their perogative. They are the ones writing the paychecks. They can make their players wear anything they want to. It's not called a "UNIFORM" for nothing.

Eindar
03-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Some of you guys really need to read the WHOLE article before commenting.....

Any player with a medical reason to wear them can still do so. DOn't get your panties in a wad.

Don't you mean "your pantyhose"?

Jermaniac
03-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Who gives a **** how they look? Are they stoping players from wearing those arm bands that help you when you have a elbow injury? Do they stop players from wearing those knee bands when they blow their knee out? Why stop players from wearing tights that keep them from getting injured.

And yet all of you ***** when a player gets hurt over and over, if they find that these tights are helping them stay healthy then they should be allowed to wear them.

I'm so sure that NBA see's this as some type of Hip Hop thing and wants to remove it too, I'm telling you in a few years if you have tats you wont be able enter the NBA draft.

VF21
03-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Come on...this is just silly looking:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/Vladefan21/Kings/Kobepurpletights.jpg

At least now we know what happened to Gilbert Grape.

;)

...At least eight players that have worn tights this year -- including Bryant, James, Redd and Carter -- are Nike-sponsored athletes, and the shoe giant now sells a "pro basic" pair of tights for $35 and a "pro thermal" pair for $50.

Oh my heavens. What a coincidence...

8.9_seconds
03-30-2006, 08:31 PM
I think it's ridiculous, what's it hurting? Tights aren't exactly 'gangsta', there aren't any image issues with this, it's just stupid. If the guys want to wear their tights, let them *****ing wear them and shut up.

OnlyPacersLeft
03-30-2006, 09:24 PM
didn't the nba try to ban arm bands awhile back? not NBA ones but the ones that have the players nicknames or logos of a company they own on them? like derek andersons loyalty? cause of self advertisement? this is stupid to.

cramerica
03-30-2006, 09:36 PM
If it's for health purposes...so be it. Other wise, this is a good move.

Stryder
03-30-2006, 10:19 PM
I've got no problem with them banning the "tights". They really do not prevent anything, anyway.

It is called a "uniform" for a reason. And the NBA can try to set it how they see fit.

I don't ***** at my bosses at work because I cannot wear shorts or open toed shoes in a laboratory.

Evan_The_Dude
03-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Oh my heavens. What a coincidence...

What, the fact they're all with Nike, or the fact that they all have had leg injuries? Banning the tights is like banning knee-length shorts.

Stryder
03-30-2006, 10:54 PM
What, the fact they're all with Nike, or the fact that they all have had leg injuries? Banning the tights is like banning knee-length shorts.

Which is the right of the NBA to do.

Jermaniac
03-30-2006, 11:02 PM
I want them to ban anything that prevents or helps make a injury less painful. Everydamn thing. They are banning tights because some how Stern see's this as a Hip Hop thing and wants to ban it. Like I said no cornrows and tats next year.

Kstat
03-30-2006, 11:04 PM
Yeah, cause tights are such a HUGE hip-hop statement...:laugh:

Jermaniac
03-30-2006, 11:06 PM
I bet you thats what Stern thinks. WTF do you think the dress code was put in for? Hip hop.

Kstat
03-30-2006, 11:10 PM
I bet you thats what Stern thinks. WTF do you think the dress code was put in for? Hip hop.

For whatever reason, tights are not a hip-hop fashon. It's unrelated.

Tights are a more of a homosexual fashon statement.

Not trying to be funny, it's just a fact.

Jaydawg2270
03-30-2006, 11:20 PM
tights in hip hop lmao

pizza guy
03-31-2006, 12:23 AM
I'm not sure I see the purpose of it; but the NFL can prevent Clinton Portis from wearing socks like these (http://images.nfl.com/u/nfl/photos/nfl1b18_lower.jpg), then I suppose the NBA can keep Kobe & Co. from tights like these (http://www.yaysports.com/nba/images/Kobe%20tights2.jpg).

sweabs
03-31-2006, 12:31 AM
I've got no problem with them banning the "tights". They really do not prevent anything, anyway.

They can prevent injury by keeping the muscles warm, and provide a somewhat preventative measure from pulling muscles and the sort (although little).

SycamoreKen
03-31-2006, 12:33 AM
I agree that they look weird. I guess they might help keep one warm, especially with all of the arenas with ice under them. The league does not let players wear t-shirts under their jersey's either like college kids can, so I see no difference here. The league makes the rules so that is that. I doubt the players are as upset as some of you though. compaired to the NFL dress code nazis this is nothing.

sweabs
03-31-2006, 12:44 AM
I agree that they look weird. I guess they might help keep one warm, especially with all of the arenas with ice under them. The league does not let players wear t-shirts under their jersey's either like college kids can, so I see no difference here. The league makes the rules so that is that. I doubt the players are as upset as some of you though. compaired to the NFL dress code nazis this is nothing.

Interesting you bring up the shirts though.

You see guys like JO and Danny who wear this same material underneath their jerseys for the same reasons I have mentioned. Are those being questioned as well?

8.9_seconds
03-31-2006, 12:47 AM
Interesting you bring up the shirts though.

You see guys like JO and Danny who wear this same material underneath their jerseys for the same reasons I have mentioned. Are those being questioned as well?

Yeah, I was wondering that also. I wonder, do those serve the same purpose as the leg tights? Would that work with back problems?

sweabs
03-31-2006, 12:48 AM
Yeah, I was wondering that also. I wonder, do those serve the same purpose as the leg tights? Would that work with back problems?

Yes and yes.

8.9_seconds
03-31-2006, 12:52 AM
I was considering getting some, I have horrible spine and back troubles when I play and sit for awhile then stiffen up. I thought they were called Nike Fusion Tanks, but I can't find anything on them. I know there are Nike Vent tops, but I think those would be too big for me; and I was almost positive they were called Fusion....hmmm that really bugs me now. What is the fusion then?

haha sorry, that was just bugging me.

sixthman
03-31-2006, 01:02 AM
I think it's ridiculous, what's it hurting? Tights aren't exactly 'gangsta', there aren't any image issues with this, it's just stupid. If the guys want to wear their tights, let them *****ing wear them and shut up.

Made me laugh, even after that mucked up effort tonight. Thanks.

8.9_seconds
03-31-2006, 01:10 AM
Made me laugh, even after that mucked up effort tonight. Thanks.

Glad I could be of some help, ;) .

SamBear
03-31-2006, 02:40 AM
Well kobe didn't wear his tonight... :lol:

NorCal_Pacerfan
03-31-2006, 03:43 AM
NBA to ban hair! Everyone must go bald!

What's next? How about they dictate what the players can eat on game days?

Hicks
03-31-2006, 04:00 AM
Am I the only one who could care less about the tights one way or the other?

Evan_The_Dude
03-31-2006, 04:11 AM
On the T-Shirt issue, you can wear then as long as they're sleveless and hardly show. Some players have issues with the stitching on the back of the lettering of the jersey rubbing against their skin causing irritation.

OTD
03-31-2006, 04:15 AM
They have yet to ban something medically beneficial, so its doubtful.

The dumbest looking thing to me is the stupid head band. Which they would take them also. And baggie draws with them

Bball
03-31-2006, 04:38 AM

I'm right there with ya!

-Bball

8.9_seconds
04-01-2006, 04:09 PM

It's not a reason of because they look stupid or cool, it's the point that it is meaningless. They are just tights, they don't hurt anything. Tights have nothing to do with image or negative conotation, they are just a preference; if a player wants to wear them, it's their decision. It wouldn't really upset anybody if we were given a valid reason to why they can't be worn. It's basically the same the thing as when Jermaine was fined for his shorts, did you think that was ok?

Young
04-01-2006, 10:16 PM
I think that they look dumb but they do help prevent injuries, etc so why the heck would you ban them?

The NBA needs to not worry about fashion and concentrate on putting better quality of games.

04-01-2006, 10:53 PM
I think this is ridicilous, i have played basketball with my tights in about 2 years, not a medical reason... its just that it feels very comfortable and keeps my legs worm all the time, as someone said here before, it helps you to prevent from having an injury in your muscles.. but most importantly it brings a longer life to your legs and some say that because of the blood circulation etc. it might increase your performance on the coart. (longer basketball career and endurance)

Good job NBA?

SycamoreKen
04-02-2006, 01:36 AM
To be honest, I could really care less, but i am interested in seeing independent data to verify that the tights actually do have a medical benifit to them other than keeping ones legs warm while sitting on the bench.

Since86
04-03-2006, 03:02 PM
To be honest, I could really care less, but i am interested in seeing independent data to verify that the tights actually do have a medical benifit to them other than keeping ones legs warm while sitting on the bench.

I don't know about medical, but runners have used them for years and years.

Every track meet I ran in there was atleast 3 or 4 wearing them, and every cross country meet I watched had runners wearing them.

The article had a good quote from a doctor explaning why compression benefits muscles. It talks about compression giving optimal space to form crossbridges between actin and myosin to give produce more strength. It would depend on each individual, because the spacing between the two fibers are different in everyone due to a lot of reasons, i.e. hydration levels, so I think the studies would have more of an individual findings than saying they're good for everyone.

btowncolt
04-03-2006, 03:04 PM
But can I still wear them to the games!??!

Shade
04-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Good. They look stupid as hell.

Shade
04-03-2006, 05:26 PM

No worries. Hose is not considered tights.

MagicRat
04-03-2006, 06:57 PM

I think you're still good to go.......
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emagic_rat/btownballet.jpg

SycamoreKen
04-03-2006, 07:17 PM
I think you're still good to go.......
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emagic_rat/btownballet.jpg

:spitout: :D

8.9_seconds
04-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Does this include Iverson's sleeves?