PDA

View Full Version : Reggie To Enter Pacers Pantheon Tonight

317Kim
03-30-2006, 06:58 AM
Reggie To Enter Pacers Pantheon Tonight

By Conrad Brunner | March 30, 2006

The final chapter of Reggie Miller's epic NBA career comes to a fitting end tonight when his No. 31 will be retired in a halftime ceremony at Conseco
Fieldhouse during Indiana's game with the Phoenix Suns.

Miller will be present to address the crowd and hoist his banner into the rafters. Also participating in the ceremony will be Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels and Pacers Sports & Entertainment CEO and President Donnie Walsh. Miller will be joined by members of his family and other special guests, including former teammates. The game is sold out but portions of the ceremony will be shown by TNT, which is broadcasting the game.
<TABLE width=65 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/donnie_walsh.jpg
<CENTER>Walsh</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

“This is a truly deserving honor for Reggie,” said Walsh. “On and off the court, what he gave to this franchise, this city and this state for 18 years puts him among the elite athletes to have played professional sports. Number 31 in the rafters adds another legacy to the great tradition of Indiana basketball.”

Miller will join Roger Brown (No. 35), Mel Daniels (No. 34), George McGinnis (No. 30) and Bobby “Slick” Leonard (No. 529 representing his career coaching victories) as the fourth player and fifth person in franchise history to be so honored.
<TABLE width=65 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/larry_bird.jpg
<CENTER>Bird</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

“Reggie gave the Indiana Pacers 18 years,” said Larry Bird, President of Basketball Operations. “He was a professional at all times and it was an honor to work with, coach and be around him. He will be missed.”

Miller was a five-time NBA All-Star, an Olympic Gold Medalist, is the NBA’s all-time leader in 3-pt FGM and 3-pt FGA and is 12th on the NBA’s all-time scoring list. Miller led the league in free throw percentage five times and ranks as the franchise leader in 13 statistical categories. Miller has also been recognized as a winner of the NBA’s J. Walter Kennedy Community Service Award and was named USA Weekend magazine’s Most Caring Athlete in 2002.

One portion of the day's festivities was canceled when the Indiana Department of Transportation scrubbed its plan to rename a stretch of U.S. 31 north of Indianapolis in Miller's honor. The IDOT learned that particular stretch of highway was named the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Highway 12 years ago.
<TABLE width=65 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/reggie_miller.jpg
<CENTER>Miller</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

"While I appreciate the State of Indiana in its attempt to re-name a stretch of U.S. 31 in my name, I certainly respect and understand the feelings of the veterans involved," Miller said in a statement released by the Pacers. "Military veterans and the sacrifices they have made for our country carry a status we all should appreciate and honor.”

The highway department said it has no immediate plans to select a replacement road to name in Miller's honor.

Fans attending the game will receive a poster that is a replica of the banner that will hang in the rafters. In addition, a special edition of GameTime, the team's official program will feature photos and highlights of Miller's career as well as a one-of-a-kind pull-out poster.

Beginning today, fans will have the opportunity to purchase special hats, pennants and T-shirts featuring Miller, and a tribute book at Home Court, as well as online at ConsecoFieldhouse.com (http://www.consecofieldhouse.com/dept~cat~207~xmnid~166.asp#deptplace). Additional items will be available Friday.

http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/retired_numbers_800.jpg
WALLPAPER ^^

Rasmus
03-30-2006, 07:21 AM
interesting coincidence, that all retired jerseys starting with 3: 30,31,34,35 .
maybe one day is between them 33 also ......

Unclebuck
03-30-2006, 09:18 AM
I'm shocked at how little coverage this is getting in the local media. I guess IU and the Final Four has stolen the thunder. Pacers should have picked another day. But not to be on the front page of the sports section is pretty sad, and the puny article is even sadder

Hicks
03-30-2006, 10:06 AM
Fans attending the game will receive a poster that is a replica of the banner that will hang in the rafters. In addition, a special edition of GameTime, the team's official program will feature photos and highlights of Miller's career as well as a one-of-a-kind pull-out poster.

Sweet re: the banner-poster; I'm looking forward to that. And I may purchase a "GameTime" just for this to remember.

Raskolnikov
03-30-2006, 10:33 AM
interesting coincidence, that all retired jerseys starting with 3: 30,31,34,35 .
maybe one day is between them 33 also ......
You bet!

And whoever takes #32 is guaranteed to be one of our future franchise players.

Gyron
03-30-2006, 11:06 AM
You bet!

And whoever takes #32 is guaranteed to be one of our future franchise players.

I believe Peck has hopes of someone else retiring in that number. Although I'm sure it'll never happen:-p

Raskolnikov
03-30-2006, 11:10 AM
I believe Peck has hopes of someone else retiring in that number. Although I'm sure it'll never happen:-p
Right, didn't think of da Dale...

Sorry, Peck. :shudder:

grace
03-30-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm shocked at how little coverage this is getting in the local media. I guess IU and the Final Four has stolen the thunder. Pacers should have picked another day. But not to be on the front page of the sports section is pretty sad, and the puny article is even sadder

I believe they wanted to do it before now, but could never work it out with Reggie's schedule.

Hicks
03-30-2006, 11:56 AM
According to the star, Reggie is also going to do color for TNT tonight.

Rasmus
03-30-2006, 12:18 PM
i bet me and some other european guys cant wait when someone uploads this game. but like some rumors say, its pretty sure that this will be on davka.

stew
03-30-2006, 12:31 PM
I really hope I can download and watch the game afterwards....

and hopefully our players show up tonight...

Diamond Dave
03-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Tonight is going to be great!!!! REG-GIE! REG-GIE! REG-GIE!!!!!

Damn they're oily hides for not making a replica Reggie Flo-jo jersey. I would bought one tonight.

Diamond Dave
03-30-2006, 12:40 PM
What former teammates do you think will be there?

I'm betting Mark, Rik, Derrick, and Vern. With of course Chuck Person.

It would be great if Dale and Antonio, and Haywoode were there.

18to88
03-30-2006, 01:39 PM
Well they don't have anything better to do because Antonio doesn't have a team, Dale only plays when Detroit plays the Pacers, and who knows about Haywoode.

Rasmus
03-30-2006, 01:57 PM
dont know what he's doing now, but awhile ago was on nba tv's show a story about him and then he was referee. I mean Workman.

18to88
03-30-2006, 02:10 PM
dont know what he's doing now, but awhile ago was on nba tv's show a story about him and then he was referee. I mean Workman.

Found it, didn't read it, but I found something.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/alumni_workman.html

reggie31mate
03-30-2006, 02:17 PM
i bet me and some other european guys cant wait when someone uploads this game. but like some rumors say, its pretty sure that this will be on davka.

:D You bet! I can't wait to see the ceremony...it's been weird to see the Pacers without Reggie, though I certainly enjoy seeing him on the TNT crew. Especially when he has beaten Kenny Smith in a 3 point shootout in a NBA Inside episode... :laugh:

We miss you Regg!
Peace

Rasmus
03-30-2006, 02:25 PM
We miss you Regg!
Peace

yeah..!! still remembering very clearly, when i first hear about reggie: my friend told me some very good 3 point-shooter, who has really big ears :D . and i liked 3-point shooters

MagicRat
03-30-2006, 02:32 PM
What former teammates do you think will be there?

I'm betting Mark, Rik, Derrick, and Vern. With of course Chuck Person.

It would be great if Dale and Antonio, and Haywoode were there.

Reggie said on Bob and Tom yesterday that he thought the Tank was going to be there......

03-30-2006, 03:18 PM

We will upload that game on BB4LL, (you can find the link at Davka).

Kaufman
03-30-2006, 05:17 PM
What about Pooh? And Micheal Williams? Gerald Paddio? Detlef? Scotty Haskin? Byron - excused coaching. Greg Dreiling? Greg Kite? Kenny Williams? Mike Sanders? Sean Green? George McCloud? Damon Bailey? Duane Ferrell? Ricky Pierce? Eddie Johnson? Mully? Lester Connor?

Kaufman
03-31-2006, 12:22 AM
Eddie Johnson showed!!

I was thinking Detlef Schrempf would show too. Guess not.

Unclebuck
03-31-2006, 12:25 AM
Eddie Johnson showed!!

He travels with the Suns as their TV commentator

Kaufman
03-31-2006, 12:30 AM
I know you'll get me for this since I listed his name above, but I don't know, I really didn't see Eddie Johnson as that big a part of the team, nominal at best. Rik wasn't there was he? That was disappointing. Correct me if I'm wrong ---