PDA

View Full Version : Reggie's road? Already taken

MagicRat
03-29-2006, 09:30 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060329/NEWS01/603290465

Reggie's road? Already taken
U.S. 31 stretch that was to be named for ex-Pacer honors Vietnam veterans

Rick Lewis was a little miffed when he heard that state lawmakers wanted to name part of U.S. 31 for retired Indiana Pacers great Reggie Miller.

An Army veteran of the Vietnam War and a Pacers fan, Lewis was troubled because he had successfully lobbied to have U.S. 31 from Downtown Indianapolis to Kokomo dedicated as the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Highway in 1994.

After learning U.S. 31 already had been named, state officials Tuesday canceled plans to rename the Hamilton County stretch for Miller.

The Indiana Department of Transportation had planned to have a renaming ceremony Thursday, the same day Miller's number is to be retired during a ceremony at the Pacers game.

The stretch of U.S. 31 from I-465 north to the Hamilton/Tipton county line was picked because Miller wore No. 31 on his Pacers jersey and lived in the area for much of his 18 years with the team.

Lewis, 58, Kokomo, said that in 1994 there were quite a few signs along U.S. 31 alerting motorists to the Vietnam Veterans designation, but he recently drove the highway from Kokomo to Carmel and found two. He said that INDOT has assured him that new signs would be ordered, and a rededication ceremony is to be scheduled.

Upon learning about the naming problem, Miller tipped his hat to veterans in a written statement.

"While I appreciate the state of Indiana in its attempt to rename a stretch of U.S. 31 in my name, I certainly respect and understand the feelings of the veterans involved. Military veterans and the sacrifices they have made for our country carry a status we all should appreciate and honor.

Diamond Dave
03-29-2006, 09:54 AM
I wonder if the guy would be willing to part ways with say 5-10 miles of the stretch in downtown to be named after Reggie.

INDOT really jumped the gun on this one, but Reggie as always is a class act all the way.

DisplacedKnick
03-29-2006, 10:12 AM
Solving that one's easy - rename US31 South. granted, it's not as heavily traveled.

INDOT screwed up - would have REALLY screwed up if this Lewis fellow hadn't jumped in.

Knucklehead Warrior
03-29-2006, 10:20 AM
Why not just rename Penn in front of Conseco -- Reggie Miller Way.
I'll buy that before I'd go for a statue. OMG, not THAT thread again. :-p

Kegboy
03-29-2006, 10:31 AM
I couldn't begin to count up how much I've driven on 31, and I've never seen a sign.

Hicks
03-29-2006, 11:03 AM
I like the idea of renaming Pennsylvania to Reggie Miller

Doug
03-29-2006, 11:04 AM

The whole state?

Diamond Dave
03-29-2006, 11:15 AM
The whole state?

Precisely.

I like the idea of having Allen Iverson play in Philadelphia, Reggie Miller

Doug
03-29-2006, 11:18 AM
Precisely.

I like the idea of having Allen Iverson play in Philadelphia, Reggie Miller

It should be easier. Quakers are non-violent, so they shouldn't put up the same fight that these veterans did.

Hicks
03-29-2006, 11:23 AM
They should replace the Statue of Liberty's face with Reggie's.

They should add Reggie to Mt. Rushmore.

Reggie should become the new face of the $100 bill.

Reggie should become Emperor of Kansas.

Knucklehead Warrior
03-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Clever way to hold down immigration.

They should add Reggie to Mt. Rushmore. by sandblasting away two of the others, one for his head and the second for his ears

Reggie should become the new face of the $100 bill. On the back could be conseco Fieldhouse or that picture of knicks fans with their collective mouths open as he launches the 3 that brought them to their knees.

Reggie should become Emperor of Kansas. Toto VP.

Kegboy
03-29-2006, 02:42 PM
Clever way to hold down immigration.
by sandblasting away two of the others, one for his head and the second for his ears
On the back could be conseco Fieldhouse or that picture of knicks fans with their collective mouths open as he launches the 3 that brought them to their knees.
Toto VP.

:applaud:

Shade
03-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Reggie Miller scored infinity points -- twice.

Bball
03-29-2006, 04:25 PM

They should add Reggie to Mt. Rushmore.

Reggie should become the new face of the $31 bill.

Reggie should become Emperor of Kansas.

Fixed

Jaydawg2270
03-29-2006, 04:25 PM

Hmm I wouldnt mind living in a state named after reg

Hicks
03-29-2006, 05:19 PM
The state song could become... R.E.G.....G.I.E......Reg-gie!

SoupIsGood
03-29-2006, 05:20 PM
We could start a Reggie religon.... have a regiligous experience

ilive4sports
03-29-2006, 05:23 PM
Pennsylvania isnt a good enough state for Reggie's name. I know cause i live there and i cant stand it. I wouldnt mind the state being renamed for Reggie though. Then my favorite football team could play in Reggie's state.

Since86
03-29-2006, 05:28 PM
We could start a Reggie religon.... have a regiligous experience

"That's where the money is."

HAIL XENU, I mean.....

HAIL REGGIE!

Shade
03-29-2006, 06:39 PM
"And Reggie said...let there be...BOOM BABY!!!"

Jesus turned water into wine, but Reggie turned a possession into three points.