PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't Hulk play? Is this inexcusable?

McKeyFan
03-28-2006, 01:57 PM
I have not yet heard a decent explanation as to why Hulk did not play last night. If someone has heard something, please let me know.

If there is no report of injury or other type scenario, then, in my opinion, Rick's giving David and DNP-CD is absolutely inexcusable. Why?

1. Hulk is obviously the best physical counterpart to Shaq. If, for no other reason, we should have wanted to see how they matched up in case we meet in the playoffs.

2. Hulk may have actually given Shaq a run for his money.

3. Hulk would have provided offense that both Pollard and Foster lack.

4. Because of #3, Hulk would have increased Shaq's possibility of fouling out.

5. Most importantly, suddenly benching Hulk when he has been a regular part of the rotation is crushing to David's morale, is unsettling to team chemistry, and prohibits players from finding any kind of rhythm.

If Rick simply benched Hulk due to some neato gizmo matchup ideas, then I have truly lost confidence in Rick Carlisle. He can't see the forest for the trees. He can't see the much larger, more important issues in his obcsession with smaller details.

Dr. Goldfoot
03-28-2006, 02:04 PM
David Harrison would've fouled out in the 1st quarter vs Shaq.

waxman
03-28-2006, 02:13 PM
My feeling is that it was combination of things.

One being.... he's trying to narrow down his playoff rotation. Rick is gonna give Pollard every chance to take the big physical 5 spot over David... mainly because of his playoff experience. And we all know Rick will take the known quantity/low risk option over the wild card/higher risk factor that Harrison brings.

two being.... he knew/thought David wouldn't deal well with the Shaq treatment from the refs. Polly would be able to shake those calls off without getting emotional... and then once the game actually did get "heated"... there was a snowballs chance in hell that David would see the floor.

I would've liked to see David get a shot out there... we were getting out-muscled in the paint.

Los Angeles
03-28-2006, 02:17 PM
David Harrison would've fouled out in the 1st quarter vs Shaq.
Not true.

Harrison has done well against shaq.

I'm wondering if this is a punishment or even a "resting" issue?

Anthem
03-28-2006, 02:29 PM
I'm fine with Pollard taking over as starting center. That's great.

Let Harrison be his backup, and let Foster back up JO. There's enough minutes for that... Pollard's not going to give you 40 a game, and Foster is just as effective (if not more so) in a limited amount of time on the court.

fwpacerfan
03-28-2006, 03:32 PM
I think Carlisle missed a chance to get Harrison some quality minutes against a great center who you know would get the benefit of the calls. The area Harrsion needs to work on the most (and he isn't alone on this team in this area) is his mental toughness. Going against Shaq would be a great way for him to learn. If he starts the crybaby routine you sit him down before the game gets out of hand.

I guess Carlisle was afraid that by playing Harrison it would take away some shots from Tinsley. After all the only time to work on your outside shot is DURING games isn't it? Heaven forbid Tinsley work on his game during practice, it's a much better idea to do it during a big game against one of the better teams in the league!:rolleyes:

Stryder
03-28-2006, 04:12 PM
You realize if Harrison would have been involved in the Haslem ordeal, then he would have probably tried to rip off Udonis's head and eat it.

pizza guy
03-28-2006, 04:27 PM
You realize if Harrison would have been involved in the Haslem ordeal, then he would have probably tried to rip off Udonis's head and eat it.

That's no reason to not have him on the floor. RC could not have predicted that scuffle, and therefore had no reason to keep Hulk on the bench before is happened. Then, with one of Miami's prominent low-post guys out, it would've been nice to take advantage of Haslem's absence with David in; once again, no good reason for Hulk's pine-time.

It completely boggles my mind as to why Harrison did not play against the biggest guy in the league. David is the biggest guy on the team, he has to be in there. If it's experience that Rick worries about, then he's an absolute idiot. Hulk can't get experience without getting playing time; AND he's faired well against Shaq before. It made absolutely NO sense for Harrison to be on the sidelines for this entire game. That was possibly the dumbest coaching move I've ever seen. And as long as I'm complaining, why didn't Saras get any playing time? Tinsley was having the worst game of his career, and yet RC leaves him in and allows the guy to brick up shot-after-shot-after-shot.

At the last forum party we went to, I said that I wasn't ready yet for Carlisle's departure. I said that it would take Granger losing playing time for me to be ready. But, if I may amend that, this is inexcusable. Hulk should be on the floor, if not starting, and so should Sarunas. Rick Carlisle should no longer be the Pacers' coach.

fwpacerfan
03-28-2006, 04:33 PM
That's no reason to not have him on the floor. RC could not have predicted that scuffle, and therefore had no reason to keep Hulk on the bench before is happened. Then, with one of Miami's prominent low-post guys out, it would've been nice to take advantage of Haslem's absence with David in; once again, no good reason for Hulk's pine-time.

It completely boggles my mind as to why Harrison did not play against the biggest guy in the league. David is the biggest guy on the team, he has to be in there. If it's experience that Rick worries about, then he's an absolute idiot. Hulk can't get experience without getting playing time; AND he's faired well against Shaq before. It made absolutely NO sense for Harrison to be on the sidelines for this entire game. That was possibly the dumbest coaching move I've ever seen. And as long as I'm complaining, why didn't Saras get any playing time? Tinsley was having the worst game of his career, and yet RC leaves him in and allows the guy to brick up shot-after-shot-after-shot.

At the last forum party we went to, I said that I wasn't ready yet for Carlisle's departure. I said that it would take Granger losing playing time for me to be ready. But, if I may amend that, this is inexcusable. Hulk should be on the floor, if not starting, and so should Sarunas. Rick Carlisle should no longer be the Pacers' coach.

I don't think Sarunas should be starting over Tinsley every night. I think Rick should be ready to play Sarunas when Tinsley or AJ is having a bad night and it doesn't get any worse than last night for Tinsley. There was nothing Tinsley was brining to the game that Sarunas couldn't have brought last night. Tinsley was constantly getting beat by JWill off the dribble. He wasn't penetrating and drawing people to him, which is what he normally brings. Rick should have realized that Tinsley was taking the night off and he should have yanked him.

btowncolt
03-28-2006, 04:35 PM
I checked his blog, but no updates.

http://incrediblehulk.blogspot.com/

Don't know what to tell you about it otherwise.

Stryder
03-28-2006, 04:35 PM

All that being said, the reason has to be some type of behavioral issue, attitude issue, or conditioning/health issue. I really don't see any other reason.

BTW, my above comments about Mr. Harrison eating Haslem's head were said in jest. :D

pizza guy
03-28-2006, 04:39 PM
I know, although, I agreed with it; Hulk would have ripped his head off.

I didn't necessarily mean that Sarunas should start, but being buried on the bench is unacceptable -- especially when Tins has such a horrible night.

SoupIsGood
03-28-2006, 05:06 PM

Prolly not, David just yells at the refs. I don't think he had ever tried to attack/fight someone, not that I remember.

The Toxic Avenger
03-28-2006, 05:08 PM
This irked me beyond irking...

I agree with L.A.

The Pacers Need more Hulk.... :(

Since86
03-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Prolly not, David just yells at the refs. I don't think he had ever tried to attack/fight someone, not that I remember.

Not true.

He hit that old man who was asking for an autograph, when Hulk was leaving the vacant Palace floor.:)

SoupIsGood
03-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Not true.

He hit that old man who was asking for an autograph, when Hulk was leaving the vacant Palace floor.:)

LOL, oh yea

Well he hasn't within a game setting, anyway

Ragnar
03-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Beyond that Jeff should have played way way more than he did last night. We got seriousley out rebounded last night.

Believe_in_blue
03-28-2006, 05:53 PM

Not since college when bathroom stalls were talking ***** to him:)

denyfizle
03-28-2006, 06:15 PM
coz RC is nutz! i don't know why the hell Hulk didn't play either. maybe it's an off the court practice thing but hell, I don't get why Runi doesn't see any PT either. RC is nutz.

CableKC
03-28-2006, 06:39 PM
I think its 1 of 2 things.....

1 ) Carlisle likes to play Pollard against Shaq for matchup reasons.
2 ) Hulk was being punished for some reason or another.

I'm gonna default to the standard answer when it comes to any rotation question for Carlisle........he likes to go with his most experieinced lineup that he can put out there when playing a team like the Heat.....with Granger being an exception as he is the only legit backup SF not named SJax.

I fear that this simply means that we are going to see the same thing during the Playoffs. Foster and Pollard playing the majority of the backup PF and starting C minutes......with Harrison coming in ONLY to give BOTH of them a rest...or when either of them gets into foul trouble. Carlisle isn't the type to go with players that he doesn't trust ( as in rookie / sophmore players...like Sarunas, Granger and Harrison ) as opposed to the veterans ( Tinsley, AJ, Freddie, JONeal, Foster, SJax and Pollard ) that he can trust to not make mistakes.

Personally....I would like to get Harrison in their early......he's more of an offensive option when he is on the floor.....with the only defense that he is capable of providing is when he physically takes up space in the paint. Just match hiim up against the weaker Center / frontline....see what he can do on the offensive end....get his 4 fouls....then pull him out. Is that too much to ask?

Eindar
03-28-2006, 07:27 PM
You can talk about the Pollard situation, but there quite a few times where Carlisle guarded Shaq with Foster or the recently healed, currently tweaked Jermaine O'Neal. I can't imagine what the reacion would have been if JO had re-torn his groin guarding Shaq with a 7'0", 280 lbs true center on the bench.

There's really just no reasonable excuse for leaving Hulk on the bench for the entire game, unless it was a discipline or injury situation. So what if he fouls out in the 1st quarter? Let him. Shaq's not a great free throw shooter, no matter how he did last night, and maybe DH would learn something. If you never test him, he'll never improve.

PacerMan
03-28-2006, 07:36 PM
I gotta believe there was a legit reason. I gotta hope to h*ll there was!
Anything less is just plain nuts.
The kids gotta play, and he's gotta play against Shaq.

Unclebuck
03-28-2006, 08:14 PM
I have no problem DH not playing. As Mark Boyle just said it would have taken 15 seconds for him to foul out.

Pollard started, DG played too well , and Foster is a lot better than DH.

The bigger question - why would anyone be the least bit surprised that DH didn't play.

I thought we bit this into the ground last night

SoupIsGood
03-28-2006, 08:16 PM
I have no problem DH not playing. As Mark Boyle just said it would have taken 15 seconds for him to foul out.

The bigger question - why would anyone be the least bit surprised that DH didn't play.

All baloney

Unclebuck
03-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Harrison injured his thigh

SoupIsGood
03-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Harrison injured his thigh

LOL

Now you look sorta silly, standing by Rick all this time when he would have played him if he could.... :-o:-p

Why didn't we know about this injury?!?!? :mad::mad::mad: I'm gonna hurt someone

Unclebuck
03-28-2006, 08:29 PM
LOL

Now you look sorta silly, standing by Rick all this time when he would have played him if he could.... :-o:-p

Why didn't we know about this injury?!?!? :mad::mad::mad: I'm gonna hurt someone

I don't feel or look silly. I never feel silly standing by Rick

I quoted Mark Boyle directly, so yell at him

Fireball Kid
03-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Open your eyes, UncleBuck. OPEN YOUR EYES!

Unclebuck
03-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Open your eyes, UncleBuck. OPEN YOUR EYES!

They are wide open.

SoupIsGood
03-28-2006, 09:02 PM
I never feel silly standing by Rick

I woulda never guessed....... :-p

Pacerized
03-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Pollard needs to play against O'neal, or Yao.
Foster is our best center. You can argue that he's a true 4, but who cares. He is still the best center on this team, and he's been the only real consistent player we've had in the past 15 games. I'm very happy with Harrison's development this year, and I think he can contribute, but this is a playoff hunt, and Harrison needs to get his minutes where we need him. Sometimes that will mean a dnp.

PacerMan
03-28-2006, 11:14 PM

No, Foster is NOT a lot better than DH against BIG, PHYSICAL CENTERS.
Let him play the 4 spot, where he's so effective.
Let Pollard and DH guard the big guys.

Bball
03-28-2006, 11:49 PM
So, Harrison was supposedly injured?

...and it was bad enough to keep him off the floor at all... yet Freddie was getting minutes even tho it was clear his injury was making him worse than ineffective a few games ago?

-Bball

Unclebuck
03-28-2006, 11:53 PM
So, Harrison was supposedly injured?

...and it was bad enough to keep him off the floor at all... yet Freddie was getting minutes even tho it was clear his injury was making him worse than ineffective a few games ago?

-Bball

Rick said on his radio show tonight that Harrison had an MRI done

SoupIsGood
03-28-2006, 11:54 PM
Maybe he can sit out long enough to heal that and both of his hands, that'd be great

Hicks
03-28-2006, 11:58 PM
Jesus, someone's trying to spin THIS into a conspiracy? The bruise was near the knee he hurt last year, it was bothering him enough to speak up about it.

Unclebuck
03-29-2006, 12:00 AM
No, Foster is NOT a lot better than DH against BIG, PHYSICAL CENTERS.
Let him play the 4 spot, where he's so effective.
Let Pollard and DH guard the big guys.

Ok so you want to sit J.O. See Jeff only played 13 minutes anyway

SoupIsGood
03-29-2006, 12:02 AM
Ok so you want to sit J.O. See Jeff only played 13 minutes anyway

Pollard isnt available enough to worry about giving minutes to anyway.

When he's available, cut into both center's minutes a bit.

Bball
03-29-2006, 12:50 AM
Jesus, someone's trying to spin THIS into a conspiracy? The bruise was near the knee he hurt last year, it was bothering him enough to speak up about it.

No conspiracy from me... Let him heal if that is what needs to happen... like we should've done with Freddie in the first place.

-Bball