PDA

View Full Version : The Official Pacers vs. Heat Post-Game Thread (Pacers lose, 96-91)

Shade
03-27-2006, 11:03 PM
If there wasn't a damn good reason Hulk didn't play tonight, Rick should be run outta here at the end of the season.

The refs were a horrendous joke tonight.

Tinsley and AJ sucked on both ends of the floor, so why not play Runi?

That is all right now. I'm too pissed to say anything more.

Hicks
03-27-2006, 11:04 PM
I :love: small ball!

Jamaal Tinsley had his Steve Nash impression with his hot, hot shooting touch tonight!

This sucked.

indytoad
03-27-2006, 11:05 PM
The problem with the Pacers is that their first half is always fools gold. They'll never finish as well as they start. Everyone should probably just start watching the games as halftime, then they won't be upset when the team's play drops off a cliff in the second half.

IndyToad
Stronger than all the others

Lord Helmet
03-27-2006, 11:06 PM
Yeah, idiot coaching moves and Tinsley jacking up everything.

Horrible. But, this is how we exsist, blowing double-digit leads. We gave this to Miami.

ajbry
03-27-2006, 11:07 PM
I am so sick of giving up leads. That's why it was so shocking that we pulled out the win yesterday, I didn't think it would be sustainable.

Fireball Kid
03-27-2006, 11:08 PM
I have lost all faith in Rick.

piksi
03-27-2006, 11:08 PM
Wll, are You guys worried what happenes woth JO when the body cools down - let's say in the morning ?

Also - Shaq eneded a game with only ONE foul. Welcome to the "Kings world" of frustrations because that fat *** is allowed everything

TXPacerFan
03-27-2006, 11:09 PM
peja scored 11 in the 3rd quarter.... ends up taking just 2 shots in the fourth... and the PGs sucked...

D-BONE
03-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Well, let's see. We got outrebounded by twenty, ten offensively and we've got one of the top rebounders in the game in Foster playing just 12 minutes. I will concede that Pollard defends Shaq well so it's situational to some point. JO offers a lot more on offense but why is it he always seems to give up numerous offensive boards?

SoupIsGood
03-27-2006, 11:10 PM
Shaq plays by his own rules, it's one thing I will always hate about the NBA.

Pacersfan.
On a positive note, Jermaine had six assists and looked to be alright after the little scare. I'm just glad Jermaine looks to be alright. That at least gives us a chance at doing something in the playoffs. This game was a real rollar-coaster ride.

Slick Pinkham
I'm sick about whining about officiating after every loss.

The Pacers got outrebounded by more than 20 boards tonight. Outhustled and outmuscled. Would Hulk have helped? Sure.

Tinsley's shooting was pathetic.

The rebounding, shot selection, and odd distribution of minutes were 100% responsible for the loss, the officiating was 0% responsible for the loss.

Shade
Wll, are You guys worried what happenes woth JO when the body cools down - let's say in the morning ?

Also - Shaq eneded a game with only ONE foul. Welcome to the "Kings world" of frustrations because that fat *** is allowed everything

And he picked that one foul up just a few seconds into the game.

What a joke.

ghost
03-27-2006, 11:11 PM
... Welcome to the "Kings world" of frustrations because that fat *** is allowed everything...

It was Blazers world before that.

gilpdawg
03-27-2006, 11:11 PM
This game doesn't upset me much. They are BETTER than the Pacers. If you're Miami, you're supposed to beat the Pacers at home. If we were at home, I'd be a little more pissed.

Some positives:
Jackson was great.
Pollard and Foster were active. Doesn't show in the numbers.
JO is starting to get his groove back.

Now, the bad:
Point guard play, was awful. It happens. People have off days. Tins was great yesterday. Off game by both him and AJ.
Rebounding, especially late, was terrible. We get some defensive boards, we probably win this game. The Anderson put-back was the turning point in the see-saw fourth, IMO.

I am encouraged by what I'm seeing with this lineup. They are still gelling. It will take some more time to see just how good they can be. If I'm in the East, I'm not wanting to play the Pacers in the playoffs. Things will get better for this team, if they continue to gel more. The signs so far are encouraging. They played a great half. Now they have to work on playing a great GAME, not just a half. It will come.

Unclebuck
03-27-2006, 11:12 PM
I don't think Harrison would have helped.

Shaq better get suspended for the next game

Evan_The_Dude
03-27-2006, 11:12 PM
I too would like to know why, of all games, Carlisle chose this one not to use Harrison. Is it Thursday yet? I want to hear him explain this one. And Runi coming in at the final minute? WTF? Why wasn't Runi in during the whole damn 4th quarter?

SoupIsGood
03-27-2006, 11:13 PM
On a positive note, Jermaine had six assists and looked to be alright after the little scare. I'm just glad Jermaine looks to be alright. That at least gives us a chance at doing something in the playoffs. This game was a real rollar-coaster ride.

Jermaine has been passing out of the post well

Bball
Well, let's see. We got outrebounded by twenty, ten offensively and we've got one of the top rebounders in the game in Foster playing just 12 minutes. I will concede that Pollard defends Shaq well so it's situational to some point. JO offers a lot more on offense but why is it he always seems to give up numerous offensive boards?

Because the next time he blocks out in a game it will be the first time.

-Bball

indytoad
I am encouraged by what I'm seeing with this lineup. They are still gelling. It will take some more time to see just how good they can be.

Uh. We don't really have a lot of time.

Not to mention that I don't think either Tinsley or JO have quite hit their injury quota yet.

IndyToad
Help spread the word

Shade

We got outrebounded by 20.

TWENTY.

And Shaq being suspended next game does not help us at all.

Pacersfan.
03-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Also remember it was a back-to-back.

NaptownBound
i don't know guys... *shrugs*
i'm confuzzled about this game.

and next up... our nemesis.

ATL shawty!

SoupIsGood

You also thought Harrison was not a NBA-caliber player.... :whistle:

Unclebuck

TWENTY.

And Harrison would have helped that?

Bball

I guess we'll never know but I would've liked to have seen it tried.

Why was JO guarding Shaq at the end?

-Bball

piksi
03-27-2006, 11:15 PM

Wouldn't have hurt to try (-20 rebounds)

He will get a pathetic fine.

Example:

kobe tosses the ball in the stands - nothing happenes

Bonzi Wells got ejected.

NBA is a league of the stars and big markets. We have to live with it and it isn't easy all the time

gilpdawg
03-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Uh. We don't really have a lot of time.

Not to mention that I don't think either Tinsley or JO have quite hit their injury quota yet.

IndyToad
Help spread the word
We've got, what, 12 more games? That's enough. Nothing matters until the playoffs. As far as I'm concerned, the rest of the regular season is just training camp all over again.

Shade
And Harrison would have helped that?

Um...YES.

Kstat
You guys are setting yourselves up for the toughest playoff schedule in the NBA.

1. NJ 2. Miami 3. Detroit.

That's where you're headed if you stay in the #6 spot.

ajbry
We've got, what, 12 more games? That's enough. Nothing matters until the playoffs. As far as I'm concerned, the rest of the regular season is just training camp all over again.

Until we lose another starter to injury...

Jermaniac
03-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Disgusting 2nd half, just ugly.

Bball
You guys are setting yourselves up for the toughest playoff schedule in the NBA.

Maybe we can lose a few more games and slide out of it entirely...

-Bball

Kstat
How about Shaq going Dale Davis on JO?

D-BONE

TWENTY.

Enough Hulk already. Foster. Play Foster! He plays hard every minute he's on the floor and he is hands down the best board man on the team and an underrated defender. Matchup smatchups! Play the guys that deserve to play. I am especially irked tonight. Can I have Granger, Foster an entire new roster in offseason?

Evan_The_Dude
03-27-2006, 11:18 PM
JO offers a lot more on offense but why is it he always seems to give up numerous offensive boards?

Because our guards kept getting beat off the dribble causing JO to have to manipulate shots instead of positioning for the rebound.

Shade

You forgot:

4. San Antonio

;)

Seriously, though, it's going to be hell no matter what at this point. We finish higher, we have the LeBrons first, and Pistons second. Any lower, and it's Miami/Detroit in the FIRST round.

indytoad

Don't see how it really matters who we play, not like we're going to be advancing very far.

IndyToad
Jerk your hand out

Kstat
03-27-2006, 11:19 PM

TWENTY.

Helps us a bit though, thanks.

ajbry
03-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Don't see how it really matters who we play, not like we're going to be advancing very far.

IndyToad
Jerk your hand out

At this point, I'd have to agree. I don't see us doing any real damage.

SoupIsGood
03-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Enough Hulk already. Foster. Play Foster! He plays hard every minute he's on the floor and he is hands down the best board man on the team and an underrated defender. Matchup smatchups! Play the guys that deserve to play. I am especially irked tonight. Can I have Granger, Foster an entire new roster in offseason?

Hulk and Foster together is even better. I like those two together.

D-BONE
03-27-2006, 11:21 PM

IndyToad
Jerk your hand out

Amen to that.

SoupIsGood

IndyToad
Jerk your hand out

:bs:

DisplacedKnick
I missed the 1st half - all the entertainment.

You played a really loose 3rd quarter - just didn't seem to have any focus out there. Tinsley jacking up shots didn't help but you had shooters open to shoot and not shooting, dinked around until you were fighting the clock, missed matching up on defense, etc., etc.

Kind of wonder at the endgame. I don't like watching foul line parades any more than anyone else but down 5 with what - 20 seconds left? That's 3 possessions and while Wade probably hits the FT's it's not a lock.

JO looked good - better at passing than I remember. Sorry I missed the fireworks in the 2nd.

Shade
03-27-2006, 11:22 PM
Jeebus, some of you guys are fickle. :shakehead

D-BONE
Because our guards kept getting beat off the dribble causing JO to have to manipulate shots instead of positioning for the rebound.

Sometimes this is true. Other times in the last two games I've seen Steven Hunter and Wayne Simien push him under the hoop for weakside boards.

rexnom

Does that mean you think we are capable of reaching the ECF? ;)

Evan_The_Dude

I've been saying it since game 1... EVERY game matters. You can't tell me that there isn't one person in this organization looking back at all the losses to sub .500 teams and wondering where we would be right now if we could have pulled out some of those wins. Keep this up and we'll be seeing Detroit in the first round! Tell me the games don't matter :rolleyes:

Bball
03-27-2006, 11:23 PM

Why was our rebounding somewhere near outstanding when JO went out with his injury back in January?

-Bball

Shade
03-27-2006, 11:23 PM
I missed the 1st half - all the entertainment.

You played a really loose 3rd quarter - just didn't seem to have any focus out there. Tinsley jacking up shots didn't help but you had shooters open to shoot and not shooting, dinked around until you were fighting the clock, missed matching up on defense, etc., etc.

Kind of wonder at the endgame. I don't like watching foul line parades any more than anyone else but down 5 with what - 20 seconds left? That's 3 possessions and while Wade probably hits the FT's it's not a lock.

JO looked good - better at passing than I remember. Sorry I missed the fireworks in the 2nd.

JO's passing was much better. And though I don't like the "dump it into JO and stand around offense," we should have found him a little more frequently on offense. A little too much jump-shooting (especially from Tins).

rexnom
03-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Jeebus, some of you guys are fickle. :shakehead

Amen, I mean we lost to a good team. Sure, we could have won this game and probably should have but let's not beat ourselves up over it. We're still learning as a team and gelling. Next game will be game number three really and probably the first game where JO will be more like JO.

SoupIsGood
03-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Why was our rebounding somewhere near outstanding when JO when out with his injury back in January?

-Bball

Instead of blaming JO, why don't we look at Pollard never being healthy. He was a big part of our rebounding then, now he plays every now and then.

Jermaniac
03-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Why was our rebounding somewhere near outstanding when JO when out with his injury back in January?

-BballCause no one on this team is a shot blocker like Jermaine. JO is a shot blocker he is going to go after shots, its his teammates job to help out when he is going after a shot. What in the hell is JO supposed to do when someone comes right at the basket with no one but him there, stand there and watch them score?

When do Pollard and Foster go up to block a shot?

SoupIsGood
03-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Amen, I mean we lost to a good team. Sure, we could have won this game and probably should have but let's not beat ourselves up over it. We're still learning as a team and gelling. Next game will be game number three really and probably the first game where JO will be more like JO.

Yup, if JO keeps that passing up, we are set

indytoad
03-27-2006, 11:26 PM
:bs:

Come on, I'm not trying to be cynical, but I know you've been watching the same team we've all been. They're just not very good. They might beat NJ - maybe - but a Miami or Detroit series wouldn't be close.

IndyToad
Said bad, hurtful things to me

rexnom
03-27-2006, 11:28 PM

-Bball

JO does go for the block a lot. That's why he fits in perfectly with Danny at the 3 and Foster or Harrison at center. Unfortunately it seems Peja hasn't been able to keep up all the rebounding.

I'm telling you guys, if Danny is in there with JO and a center, we're golden.

SoupIsGood
03-27-2006, 11:28 PM
Come on, I'm not trying to be cynical, but I know you've been watching the same team we've all been. They're just not very good. They might beat NJ - maybe - but a Miami or Detroit series wouldn't be close.

IndyToad
Said bad, hurtful things to me

Well knowing you I thought you meant a definte first round loss.

Pacersfan.
03-27-2006, 11:31 PM
They've only played three games together you guys. It's not all doom and gloom. There is a lot of room to improve before the playoffs. Give them another 5 or so games to really gel and then see what happens. It's frustrating to have the lead and then lose, but the first half shows how well they can play if they gel. It being a back-to-back might have had something to do with the 2nd half let down.

Bball
03-27-2006, 11:34 PM
Cause no one on this team is a shot blocker like Jermaine. JO is a shot blocker he is going to go after shots, its his teammates job to help out when he is going after a shot. What in the hell is JO supposed to do when someone comes right at the basket with no one but him there, stand there and watch them score?

When do Pollard and Foster go up to block a shot?

Shot blocking might be the most over-rated thing in basketball. Shot blocking should never be at the expense of solid fundamentals or mistaken for solid defense.

-Bball

Indyfan
03-27-2006, 11:34 PM
The RC show is on tomorrow night because of the game on Thursday, so if you want to call it is on at 7 on WIBC.

Bball
03-27-2006, 11:37 PM
They've only played three games together you guys. It's not all doom and gloom. There is a lot of room to improve before the playoffs. Give them another 5 or so games to really gel and then see what happens. It's frustrating to have the lead and then lose, but the first half shows how well they can play if they gel. It being a back-to-back might have had something to do with the 2nd half let down.

And the 2nd half shows what we've seen consistently in losses all year. And we've seen a lot of losses. No rebounding. Low offensive output in the 2nd half. And inability to keep a team down. Silly turnovers. Defensive lapses. Lazy passes. Players making bad shot selections (over and over and over and over again).

-Bball

Jermaniac
03-27-2006, 11:45 PM
Shot blocking might be the most over-rated thing in basketball. Shot blocking should never be at the expense of solid fundamentals or mistaken for solid defense.

-BballSo he should let people just walk in the paint and get points, hmmmmm thats a nice idea. That way we wont need to rebound at all.

rexnom
03-27-2006, 11:46 PM

-Bball

Um...what? If we had someone to pick up after Jermaine's blocks then we could be very successful. The Pistons have perfected this to a tee. These days it's not so much about how the Wallaces alter shots as the fear of god guards who penetrate have. Just that presence helps. And if one of the Wallaces blocks then the other picks up after him. You can factor Tayshaun in here any way you want. And in the end, if it's a shot then I prefer a block over no block any day of the week.

Bball
03-27-2006, 11:46 PM

I wondered about that as well. Also, the last possession where we did foul we let SEVERAL seconds slip away. I almost thought they weren't going to foul then.

I'm going to assume Carlisle elected to have the team -not- foul due to the frayed nerves and altercations earlier in the game. If that is the case, I'm still not sure how I feel about that type of thinking. If that is not the case then I'm not sure why they didn't foul. Odd. Did Carlisle want the score to look better in the paper? :confused: Did he feel it was more sporting to just let this one go at that point rather than make the fans and Heat mad and increase the 'heat' on this budding rivalry and potential playoff opponent?

-Bball

Bball
03-27-2006, 11:48 PM
So he should let people just walk in the paint and get points, hmmmmm thats a nice idea. That way we wont need to rebound at all.

I shall repeat:
Shot blocking should never be at the expense of solid fundamentals or mistaken for solid defense.

-Bball

Jermaniac
03-27-2006, 11:49 PM
I shall repeat my damn self:
So he should let people just walk in the paint and get points, hmmmmm thats a nice idea. That way we wont need to rebound at all.

dryles
03-27-2006, 11:54 PM
1. Heat made at least 3 unbelievable shots that turned into 3-point plays..
2. Jason Williams lit us up for about six minutes...
3. JT went haywire on us...
and 4. As always, Shaq gets away with too much bumping, etc.....

PS not necessarily in that order!
also.. D. Wade is a player
We had a chance to win this game and fell asleep, getting to be a familiar story.

Bball
03-27-2006, 11:54 PM

Defense doesn't begin and end with any one player...

-Bball

Anthem
03-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Well, we just lost by 5 to a great Miami team, and we were on the second night of a back-to-back.

If the game was close, why wouldn't the series be?

Anthem
03-27-2006, 11:58 PM
I shall repeat:
Shot blocking should never be at the expense of solid fundamentals or mistaken for solid defense.

-Bball
Why not?

I'd much rather play against a team that has good defensive rebounding but zero shotblocking than a team with great shotblocking that might give up some offensive rebounds.

rexnom
03-27-2006, 11:59 PM
Defense doesn't begin and end with any one player...

-Bball

I think that's what he's saying. JO goes to block, and he's good at this. It isn't his fault when someone gets beaten off the dribble by his man (Williams, Wade, you name it) and he has to cover and then no one comes for weak side support.

JO as a shot blocker is effective, but the center has to adjust to this. And I think, in time, our centers will. Again, second game where JO gets significant minutes. Give them time to mesh.

Suaveness
03-28-2006, 12:01 AM
Why not?

I'd much rather play against a team that has good defensive rebounding but zero shotblocking than a team with great shotblocking that might give up some offensive rebounds.

B/c if you play good defense you don't need to worry about shotblocking.

Bball
03-28-2006, 12:01 AM
Well, we just lost by 5 to a great Miami team, and we were on the second night of a back-to-back.

If the game was close, why wouldn't the series be?

Because Miami could concentrate on us and only us. They'd have home court. We've not shown any consistency and have shown to be mentally weak at some key positions. Our offense is streaky... Our rebounding has fallen right back to where it was the first part of the season. We're injury prone and tonight shows it would be a physical series.

-Bball

grace
03-28-2006, 12:41 AM

When have we EVER been known for doing things the easy way?

As for who we play and how far we go history shows more times than not we play like :censored: in the first round, barely winning the series. Then in one of the next two rounds we lose 4-2. Since I brought it up it won't happen. If we make it to the finals I take all the credit for breaking the cycle. However, if we lose in the first round I blame.........Larry! :D

Jumper
03-28-2006, 12:59 AM
Easy kids, over the past few months Miami has been arguably the best team in the league. We are just now returning to full health, some players are playing with each other for the first time. Rome wasn't conquered in a day, and neither was the Eastern Conference. Give this team a little more time to show what they have. Give Carlisle a little more time to figure out who to play, and give Jermaine and Tinsley some more time to get there legs back. We live in a what have you done for me today world, and no one has the patience to see anything through. So go to bed, wake up, digest tonights game, and anticipate the next. If we would have won this game tonight everyone would be anointing us the NBA Finals champs, and you know it. So take a step back and have some patience, please.

Bball
03-28-2006, 01:05 AM
Easy kids, over the past few months Miami has been arguably the best team in the league. We are just now returning to full health, some players are playing with each other for the first time. Rome wasn't conquered in a day, and neither was the Eastern Conference. Give this team a little more time to show what they have. Give Carlisle a little more time to figure out who to play, and give Jermaine and Tinsley some more time to get there legs back. We live in a what have you done for me today world, and no one has the patience to see anything through. So go to bed, wake up, digest tonights game, and anticipate the next. If we would have won this game tonight everyone would be anointing us the NBA Finals champs, and you know it. So take a step back and have some patience, please.

This gives me an idea... Where's Magic Rat?

I say the team drops the Pacer name and changes it to the Indiana Patience.

BTW... How much time do you want to give the team to show what we have, or Carlisle to figure out who to play, or JO and Tinsley time to get their legs back?

They've got 14 games.

-Bball

FireTheCoach
03-28-2006, 01:17 AM
Going back to a couple points that others on here have already made...

1. JWill got off for about 6 mins. A couple 3's and a straight strollin through the paint for the EZ layups.

2. PGs didn't show up for this game.

3. The Heat hit some circus shots in the closing minutes and turned them into 3 point plays when the game was still up for grabs.... Heat get the 5 point lead with 3 mins left and Riley puts $haq back in... that pretty much sealed it up right there. Dump the ball to $haq and he was hitting all his freethrows (finished 8-10 from the line I think).... BTW where did Shandon Anderson come from??? I forgot he was even in the league.

CableKC
03-28-2006, 01:38 AM
In the game thread....someone noted that JONeal wasn't jumping as much after the injury.

Any further news on that?

I'm guessing that after that he wasn't doing as well.....

I think that a HUGE problem that the primary scorers on the Pacers have...starting with JONeal, SJax, Peja, Tinsley, Aj and going all the way down to Freddie....is that they don't know when to stop shooting when they are having an offnight. Tinsley's 4-17 shooting with 0-4 3pt shooting was horrendous......but when your can't hit the side of the barn.....don't hoist up anymore shots. After missing the....oh...I don't know, the 12th shot......you would think that maybe he should pass the ball a little bit more. At this point.....the only player that I think that is capable of breaking out of a shooting slump is Peja.......when it comes to Tinsley....or SJax on his off-night.....they aren't capable of doing it.

Also.....I don't know how the offense is run......but if Carlisle is calling so many plays for Tinsley especially when he couldn't hit the side of the barn....then there is something wrong there. A player that can't make a basket....should not have plays called for him.

waterjater
03-28-2006, 01:42 AM
Everyone, need to stop stressing over blowing big leads. IT WILL ALMOST ALWAYS HAPPEN! ITS THE NBA. That's the way games are called.

When we are behind, we can play physical and get away with lots of contact. When we have a big lead, we revert to ISO's and Tinsley Jacking shots, AND the other team gets physical without fear of getting a foul called.

Its the NBA, it sucks and its just the way it is. The only reason Philly didn't come back on us yesterday was they shot 37% and couldn't catch up AND we hit wide open jumpers. That is the only way to maintain a lead in the NBA.

As to the coaching. Typical. Where was hulk? He's big enough to shove ONeal around......STUPID. And Tinsley should've been pulled when he started the "I'll win this on my own ****!".

Leads in the NBA are fools gold, and frankly I'd just like to stay close or be behind for most of 3 qtrs..

Water

Mourning
03-28-2006, 01:50 AM
Offcourse we lost this one ... Runi was in at the end and not Tins, otherwise we would have won ...

:-p

WHY does Jamaal take the most shots, while he hits the least of them? He was distributing the ball nicely the day before, racking up something like 12 assists with something like 4 or 5 shots? Now he shoots 17 times and got just 5 assists!!!? WTF?

That and getting outrebounded by 20 seems like what doomed us.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

CableKC
03-28-2006, 01:52 AM
One more thing.......did we see Tinsley Steetball again tonight with Wade and JWill going off on us all night?

Bball
03-28-2006, 01:59 AM
WHY does Jamaal take the most shots, while he hits the least of them? He was distributing the ball nicely the day before, racking up something like 12 assists with something like 4 or 5 shots? Now he shoots 17 times and got just 5 assists!!!? WTF?
Mourning :cool:

Because he's Tinsley and that's what he does. That's why there's a problem -besides- the fact he is injury prone.

Did everyone forget these traits while he sat on the bench injured?

He cannot string together consistent and solid games. Sure, every once and a while he can give us a great game... but he manages to balance these highest highs of games with some serious lows and flat out bad and dumb play.

-Bball

J_2_Da_IzzO
03-28-2006, 03:50 AM

Couldnt agree more. Iv always said he has his games where he thinks hes iverson but everyone was so caught up with him coming back they forgot. I would much rather him take 5 shots a game and get them assists because he is no way near our best scorer.

Raskolnikov
03-28-2006, 04:40 AM
Some noticeable stats from the game:

1. We got outrebounded by 21: Granger had zero boards in 23 minutes; Foster only played 13 minutes; Harrison didn't play at all

2. Tinsley took (and missed) most shots of all Pacers: he was 4-17

3. On a more positive note: we limited Miami to just 9 (!) assists and only committed 11 TO's

Now that last fact could mean that the ball movement was less (I already read something about more set plays). Well, was it?

Bball
03-28-2006, 04:44 AM

1. We got outrebounded by 21: Granger had zero boards in 23 minutes; Foster only played 13 minutes; Harrison didn't play at all

3. On a more positive note: we limited Miami to just 9 (!) assists and only committed 11 TO's

Now that last fact could mean that the ball movement was less (I already read something about more set plays). Well, was it?

Some of Tinsley's shots were so bad that you could include some of his 13 misses as turnovers.

-Bball

Seed
03-28-2006, 06:02 AM

Bad night for DG. No Reb, No Ast. 2-7 from the field including 0-2 for 3 pts. No steals, no Blocks (but no T.O either).

D-BONE
03-28-2006, 07:39 AM
Good morning! Well, I've slept on and "digested" last night's performance. Now with my post-game frustration significantly less and capable of being more objective...I pretty much stand by everything I said.

OK, well maybe strike the whole new team except Foster and Granger comment. It's not realistic to expect to move an entire team. With that in mind, I'll take minimum one major move involving anybody but Foster and Granger and more if possible. Sorry. Just don't think this group, even once they get acclimated, has enough to take us to a championship level.

One final thought on Foster. Obviously, I'm a big backer of his so call me biased or fickle or whatever. With so many of us in agreement that we got pounded on the boards, I'm amazed there were relatively few posters not pointing out his paltry 12 minutes. I understand the Pollard-Shaq strategy and it's fairly successful for us. I understand w/JO and Pollard both back there's a logjam at the 4-5 spots.

But if he even gets around 24 minutes it's like clockwork he'll give you doube digit boards and that's still not asking for starters minutes. If he's going to play hard and productively and consistently be a team guy and we're not going to get him more than 12 minutes even when the matchups would seem to dictate otherwise, I'd rather see him sent to a team that appreciates him. He deserves as much.

owl
03-28-2006, 07:59 AM

The Pacers position might as well be set in stone. The Pacers are a .500
team and that is how they will finish. This is a flawed team in my book.
Particularly at the guard spots.

owl

Rytas_Jega
03-28-2006, 08:14 AM
Good morning! Well, I've slept on and "digested" last night's performance. Now with my post-game frustration significantly less and capable of being more objective...I pretty much stand by everything I said.

OK, well maybe strike the whole new team except Foster and Granger comment.

And what about Šarūnas? Boxscore says he didn't do anything bad.

cariocapacer
03-28-2006, 08:49 AM

How about if we don't let them in the paint at all? When you have a guy who likes to block shots, defenders get lazy because they think the shot blocker wil bail them out. Sometimes he does - more often than not he doesn't. Even if he alters the shot slightly you've then got the offensive problem.

BillS
03-28-2006, 09:07 AM
Before reading any other posts in the thread I have one thought.

Despite the phrasing in the Star, I don't think we lost on defense.

We lost because we stopped trying to get into the area around the basket for high percentage shots. We suddenly became afraid of the paint and tried to live by long-range jumpers and 3-point shots.

Every one of them was a one-and-done and led to a Heat basket. Once that stretch was over, it was tied and we were finished.

We had done very well drawing Shaq away from the basket and getting to it behind him, then for some reason we started settling for quick (early in the shot clock) attempts to make money shots from 3-point range and put the game away or save the day. Of course, that made it impossible to rebound and our edge vanished.

BillS
03-28-2006, 09:25 AM
Some additional stuff:

* Hulk would have been ejected and probably suspended for the next two games if he'd been in when the tempers started flaring. He'd have gotten into it with Shaq or the refs and it would be week over.

* When Jax went cold for a stretch he still didn't give up the ball.

* Missing free throws down the stretch while Shaq is hitting them cold should be embarrassing.

DeS
03-28-2006, 10:48 AM
I just thought - maybe it is not a good thing to tighten the rotation with given players. This team have (or should I say - had?) a very good 2nd squad, which was the difference maker in many games and we were used out 2nd unit to outperform oponents unit. With a tighten rotation the 2nd unit is disassembled and it depends on separate players performances not on a 2nd unit as a team. Maybe, with a tighten rotation the starters are getting tired and that's why this team is blowing the leads in the end. Imho, timely substitutions could have saved this game.

Jon Theodore
03-28-2006, 12:47 PM
I honestly liked a lot of what I saw in this game. Totally different game if Tinsley came to play. If Tinsley and Jermaine can get into the groove before playoffs, nobody will want to face us.

I don't care what seed we get, how many games we lose....I care about the playoffs.

I know Sjack is going to bring it and Granger and Jermaine will too. If Peja, Tinsley, Fred, DH, AJ, Foster, and Pollard can all contribute. I still like our chances.

The X factor really is Tinsley, our success in the playoffs really hangs on his shoulders. Scary thought..........

Suaveness
03-28-2006, 01:22 PM
This team isn't even fun to watch anymore. And I've seen all of maybe 7 games all year.

McKeyFan
03-28-2006, 01:34 PM
The X factor really is Tinsley, our success in the playoffs really hangs on his shoulders. Scary thought..........

Many of us came to the same conclusion two years ago. And our conclusion is that we fail with Tinsley.

I thought Bird made a move in the offseason to correct it. Either the move (Saras) failed as well, or Carlisle disagrees with Bird's solution.

Either way, those of us who have waited for two years for a different strategy for winning then Jamaal one-on-one are still waiting.

Very frustrating . . .

hoopsforlife
03-28-2006, 05:39 PM

There is the reason we lost. We only had 11 turn overs. If we could have moved that up to 29 or so, like we did against Phili, we would have won. :( :)

OnlyPacersLeft
03-28-2006, 07:03 PM
I love JO,....holding up his fingers 2-1...2-1....great way to **** the crowd off ;)
lol
T-mac did that in the detroit series in the playoffs and then they winded up blowing that 3-2...3-2...3-2...lead they had...
don't get to cocky JO

Evan_The_Dude
03-28-2006, 07:06 PM
In all fairness to Tinsley, I get the feeling Carlisle told him to be more aggressive on offense after just attempting 4 shots the game before.