PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Garnett...

jcouts
03-27-2006, 08:39 PM
So, after reading this article...

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/basketball/14194316.htm

one big question popped in my head:

I wonder how all of Garnett's current teammates feel, having their star and leader, when it all boils down, basically saying "you all suck, and don't have a prayer at winning anything anytime soon, and I'm not doing to wait another day on you to develop". He of course actually stated it much more politically correct, but in all essence, that is what he is saying. I'm sure Ricky Davis is handling that one real well.

I'm not sure I want someone like that on our roster. Garnett's 18+ mil contract, declining numbers, and proven inability to make any of his teammates remarkably better don't exactly help the scenerio.

Anthem
03-27-2006, 11:03 PM
I'm not sure I want someone like that on our roster. Garnett's 18+ mil contract, declining numbers, and proven inability to make any of his teammates remarkably better don't exactly help the scenerio.
And yet we'd all trade him straight up for Jermaine, in a heartbeat.

I hope his value does come down. Just lowers the asking price.

Kingsfanbmiller
03-28-2006, 05:51 AM
Pippen was right, this guy is overrated. Everyone says he's so much greater than Webber, but aside from his MVP how is he so much greater? I don't get it... Atleast Webber didn't basically say in public(as a king anyways):
HEY EVERYBODY MY TEAMMATES SUCK AND I HAVE NO CHANCE OF WINNING SO PLEASE FEEL SORRY FOR ME!
Give me a break, he is not "a great leader". He is a stat man who will win you a championship in your fantasy league, but he won't even get a team to the 1st round of the playoffs. That team is not talentless, they're not exactly Manu and Parker but they're not total garbage either. Ricky Davis is a good player, Banks is a good young PG, Mccants is a decent young player, Blount can hit an open shot. Griffin is not a good player off the bench, but he's not really bad either. Kobe or Duncan would have that team as an 8th seed, you can bet on it. KG is not much better than JO, who atleast doesn't rip his teammates in public.

BBALL56HACKER
03-28-2006, 07:17 AM
I wouldn`t hesitate to bring him in. All that shows me is that he wants to WIN. The team does suck that`s why they won`t be in the playoffs. He is a better passer,rebounder and lose no scoring trading for J.O. (hell I`ll throw in J.T. to get it done!!!)

D-BONE
03-28-2006, 07:57 AM
Banks is a good young PG, Mccants is a decent young player.

I'd like to somehow get these two heading our way. KG wouldn't be bad either, of course.

03-28-2006, 08:14 AM
KG is just honest, nothing wrong with that.. and i believe him, basketball is still just basketball.

Anthem
03-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Atleast Webber didn't basically say in public(as a king anyways):
HEY EVERYBODY MY TEAMMATES SUCK AND I HAVE NO CHANCE OF WINNING SO PLEASE FEEL SORRY FOR ME!
No?

Does the word "suburbs" ring any bells?

Stryder
03-28-2006, 11:40 AM
How about KG taking a paycut? He makes 18 mill this year. The cap for this year, I think, was 49.5 mill. How can you fund a team when one player takes up 36.36% of the cap?

J_2_Da_IzzO
03-28-2006, 12:34 PM
I want JO to end his career with us. At the start of the year EVERYONE loved Artest and look what he done to us. JO would never betray our organisation so why should they do the same back.

Yes KG might be a better player but as a teammate I would much rather have JO. JO has been the leader for us for a few years now (even with Reggie as he himself stated) and hes taken us to conference finals once and done his best for the team when he is not injured.

Again I will bering up last year when KG screamed Olowakandi "gimmie the ****ing ball" when both were locked on a rebound. Nice teammate dont you think. JO even through our bad patches has stuck by the team and nenver insulted the players one bit whereas KG love Minnesota when they was flying high in the west but past 2 seasons he starts crying and moaning and insulting his teammates.

Jermaniac
03-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Kevin Garnett is overrated

jcouts
03-28-2006, 04:19 PM
JO certainly has a few things I hope he improves about his game in the coming years, but I certainly would prefer to have him on our squad for the long haul than I would Garnett, for a multitude of reasons...the biggest one being that JO will actually admit that he has parts of his game he needs to work on. When was the last time you heard Garnett make such an admission?

Anthem
03-28-2006, 07:06 PM
JO certainly has a few things I hope he improves about his game in the coming years, but I certainly would prefer to have him on our squad for the long haul than I would Garnett, for a multitude of reasons...the biggest one being that JO will actually admit that he has parts of his game he needs to work on. When was the last time you heard Garnett make such an admission?
Well, seeing as KG's a superior scorer, defender, passer, and rebounder, who can score inside and out, what individual weaknesses are you thinking he should work on?

Dude's a complete player. There's a reason he wins fantasy games.

CableKC
03-28-2006, 07:20 PM

:laugh:

CableKC
03-28-2006, 07:22 PM
To play devil's advocate....you can say the same about some other franchise player we all know and love.....:rolleyes:

D-BONE
03-28-2006, 07:23 PM
I'm not sure the issue is really which one is better. The issue is whether this team as currently constructed works in a variety of areas: mental toughness, chemistry, talent and how that talent fits together, as they pertain to being a championship quality team.

If one is convinced they aren't, changes are in order and JO would be one of the pieces we have that we could get serious talent in return for. KG would be one option you'd have to consider pursuing. Perhaps there will be others, too, and I imagine other pieces we'd consider moving. It's just speculation at this point, but if the possibility were out there, it at least deserves investigation and serious consideration.

CableKC
03-28-2006, 07:32 PM
KG is just honest, nothing wrong with that.. and i believe him, basketball is still just basketball.
KG is simply keeping it real. But I think that he is only saying it out of loyalty to the organization so that he can minimize any impact that his comments may have on his trade value.

Looking at the Boston/Minny trade and the signing of Marko Jaric....they have essentially locked up a huge part of their $$$ in long term contracts that would make it hard to make them a contender anytime soon. No big name Free Agent or any player of significance is come to Minny....and unless they get really lucky in the draft ( as in Stern rigs it for them to get a top 5 pick ).....no player acquired or traded for in the offseason is going to make a big enough difference to push them into Championship ( much less playoff ) contention.

jcouts
03-29-2006, 02:09 AM
Well, seeing as KG's a superior scorer, defender, passer, and rebounder, who can score inside and out, what individual weaknesses are you thinking he should work on?

And as you notice, fantasy games are about the only things he's winning nowadays... Even so, he's falling off on that one.

KG is a flashy scorer, defender, passer and rebounder...but does he do each of those things in a manner that allows a team to win?
When he gets a block, does he swat it into the third row, or perhaps block it and try to retain possession? He gets assists, but will he make the extra pass to precede an assist? He gets rebounds, but when he gets a rebound, does he immediately look to outlet it to jump start a fast break? To the proper person? He scores, but does he do it within the flow of the offense, or in a manner that's discouraging to his teammates? Does he take bad perimeter shots when his guards are underneath the basket and no one is back to defend a counterattack should he miss? Does he clog the parts of the lane that his guards may prefer to penetrate to?

There's much more to winning an NBA championship than fantasy numbers. If fantasy numbers decided it all, Lebron, DWade, Nowitzki, Kirilenko, Vince Carter and JKidd would all have championships by now...

rexnom
03-29-2006, 02:18 AM
And as you notice, fantasy games are about the only things he's winning nowadays... Even so, he's falling off on that one.

KG is a flashy scorer, defender, passer and rebounder...but does he do each of those things in a manner that allows a team to win?
When he gets a block, does he swat it into the third row, or perhaps block it and try to retain possession? He gets assists, but will he make the extra pass to precede an assist? He gets rebounds, but when he gets a rebound, does he immediately look to outlet it to jump start a fast break? To the proper person? He scores, but does he do it within the flow of the offense, or in a manner that's discouraging to his teammates? Does he take bad perimeter shots when his guards are underneath the basket and no one is back to defend a counterattack should he miss? Does he clog the parts of the lane that his guards may prefer to penetrate to?

There's much more to winning an NBA championship than fantasy numbers. If fantasy numbers decided it all, Lebron, DWade, Nowitzki, Kirilenko, Vince Carter and JKidd would all have championships by now...

Have you ever seen KG play? He does none of those bad things you mentioned. He is anything but a flashy player. He always makes the extra pass. He is a perfect fit in offenses. He works within the flow. He rarely takes too many shots. He always gets others involved. He hustles on a Foster-like level and he rarely gets injured. His frustration in Minnesota is natural. He didn't say anything when Minnesota couldn't get out of the first round. They had a great year and then just let go of all that. That just made him frustrated. Still, he hasn't said he wants to give up or anything or that so and so is terrible and what not. He still comes to play. He doesn't "Vince Carter" games. He would be an upgrade over JO, no doubt. If Minnesota phoned up Donnie Walsh and offered KG one-on-one for JO, we wouldn't say no. Heck, we'd probably get up and dance. Still, I don't want to give up on JO either, especially since it seems like he is going to be doing his best to work with this new system and because, to me, JO is Indiana basketball now that Reggie is gone.