PDA

View Full Version : Garnett very unlikely to be traded.

Will Galen
03-27-2006, 09:57 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap/

Garnett: "I've Always Let Him Know That I'm Going To Be In 'Sota''
NY Times - 03/27 - 3:17 AM EST

Every time a Stephon Marbury team plays the Wolves, talk of a reunion with Kevin Garnett is brought up by the media.

"I've never been opposed to a reunion," Garnett said on Sunday, "but I've always let him know that I'm going to be in 'Sota; he's always let me know that he's going to be in New York. So I guess we got a problem."

"Playing back with Kevin, that would be something that would be talked about forever," said Marbury, who has been booed whenever he has faced the Timberwolves at the Target Center since being traded.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap/

No KG Departure?
NY Daily News - 03/26 - 1:48 PM EST

According to a source who talks regularly with Minnesota owner Glen Taylor, Taylor is dead-set against trading Kevin Garnett, who was the league MVP only two years ago.

"No chance," the source said yesterday. "He's not doing anything rash because they're losing. He still views Kevin as one of the premier players in the entire league."

The Timberwolves are expected to be active this summer in finding Garnett a new supporting cast. Stephon Marbury's name has already been mentioned as a possibility. But as one Eastern Conference GM said, "Is K.G. desperate enough to want Steph back?"
------------

It looks like Garnett is staying in Minnesota, so we can quit thinking JO might be traded for him. When both the owner and player are quoted in two different newspapers about KG staying where he is, it's pretty likely.

I thought it doubtful KG would become a Pacer anyway. I figured Minnesota would want more than the Pacers would give up.

As for Starbury going back to 'Sota,' I could see that. I think Isiah has been stocking players for a shot at Garnett. Nothing else makes sense, but it looks like he's doing it in vain. So I could see Starbury going back to 'Sota,' because that's about the only place that would want him.

Anthem
03-27-2006, 10:57 AM
They wouldn't want him for Garnett, though.

I still think the Pacers should push for KG. McHale's not going to do "something rash," but that doesn't mean he and the Pacers couldn't work out a deal that's beneficial for both teams.

Other than KG, though, there aren't many guys I'd want to trade JO for.

Mourning
03-27-2006, 12:37 PM
They wouldn't want him for Garnett, though.

I still think the Pacers should push for KG. McHale's not going to do "something rash," but that doesn't mean he and the Pacers couldn't work out a deal that's beneficial for both teams.

Other than KG, though, there aren't many guys I'd want to trade JO for.

I really, really like JO, but there are certainly a few super talents/stars I would trade him for. The other party would likely not though. Howard and Bosh come to mind, offcourse.

CableKC
03-27-2006, 01:52 PM
I think a Starbury+Frye offer is a start of an acceptable offer for KG...but definitely too low for a player like KG...at this stage of his career.

The Knicks would have to get a 3rd team involved to include a bigger package of players.

The same thing for the Pacers.....a JONeal+Tinsley offer is a decent start....but not good enough offer for McHale to significantly blink. This does not mean that the offer isn't good enough in our eyes....but I think that the price for McHale to move KG has a very high ceiling.

Evan_The_Dude
03-27-2006, 02:14 PM
McHale will ask for Granger. That one would make me think real real hard, and I probably wouldn't do it unless we could somehow trade Granger and a few others and still keep O'Neal. But then what would the purpose of that be?

Moses
03-27-2006, 02:31 PM
This is McHale we are talking about.

Kevin McHale. Just thought I would remind everyone who thought he was a good GM.

Will Galen
03-27-2006, 02:54 PM
You guys are missing the point. The owner has last call, not McHale. The owners camp is saying no chance.

If I were owner of the Pacers I would say there was no chance Granger would be traded, and he's not arguably the best all around player in the NBA like KG. That means I wouldn't trade Granger for anyone or anyones. Period. I like him, he's my favorite player. When I say no chance, it means I wouldn't trade him for Lebron, Wade, Kobe, or Tim. It's my money, my team, I will do as I like.

So, to me that means it doesn't matter what you offer McHale for KG, the owner isn't interested in trading.

Bball
03-27-2006, 03:02 PM
If Shaq, Wilt, etc can be traded then so can Garnett. It's all a matter of who has the right deal and negotiating skills (and persistence) to get it done.

Let's also not forget, KG has some say in this. If he starts telling management he wants traded they might start listening to the offers even more seriously and lowering the bar.

No, a trade of JO for KG won't ever happen if neither side pushes it and KG is truly happy where he is.

-Bball

CableKC
03-27-2006, 03:22 PM
If Shaq, Wilt, etc can be traded then so can Garnett. It's all a matter of who has the right deal and negotiating skills (and persistence) to get it done.

Let's also not forget, KG has some say in this. If he starts telling management he wants traded they might start listening to the offers even more seriously and lowering the bar.

No, a trade of JO for KG won't ever happen if neither side pushes it and KG is truly happy where he is.

-Bball
I agree with you there.....you think that if the Cavs owners went crazy and offered up Lebron for KG....that the TWolves owners won't blink?

There is no one in the league that is untouchable. Players like KG can be had.....its just a matter of what the price that TPTB that own him have set for him.

A trade for a player like KG.....a player like Lebron...a player like Granger.....can happen....its just that there is a very small possiblity that it can happen......or in this case.... a very steep price.

Will Galen
03-27-2006, 04:33 PM
There is no one in the league that is untouchable. Players like KG can be had.....its just a matter of what the price that TPTB that own him have set for him.

Baloney! At times players are untouchable. If a player doesn't want to be traded and the owner doesn't want to trade him, he's untouchable. What's so hard to understand about that?

Simply put one of them would have to change their mind before that player would be traded.

I gave a scenario that if I was Pacer's owner Granger would be untouchable. If he wanted traded then that would be different and I would have to think about it. However, if he didn't want traded it wouldn't matter to me what was offered, hence he would be untouchable.

Los Angeles
03-27-2006, 05:01 PM
The other issue here is the importance of KG to the community of Minneapolis/St Paul, the importance of his marketing presence to the financial well-being of the team, and the ticket sales that would be lost during the rebuilding that would be necessary after his departure.

In the short-term it still doesn't make business sense to me.

CableKC
03-27-2006, 06:33 PM
Baloney! At times players are untouchable. If a player doesn't want to be traded and the owner doesn't want to trade him, he's untouchable. What's so hard to understand about that?

Simply put one of them would have to change their mind before that player would be traded.

I gave a scenario that if I was Pacer's owner Granger would be untouchable. If he wanted traded then that would be different and I would have to think about it. However, if he didn't want traded it wouldn't matter to me what was offered, hence he would be untouchable.
I think we're mixing words here.....but there a difference between a player that doesn't that doesn't want to be traded to a certain team or leave the team they are with ( hence making him "untradeable"...at least to certain teams ) and a player who has deemed by the owner to be so valuable that there is absolutely nothing that an opposing GM can offer that would even make the owner blink ( hence making him "untouchable" ).

I'm trying to point out that players that you would think would be untouchable ( like Shaq and Wilt...as BBall pointed out ) weren't untouchable.....it all came down to the price that was set by the owners and which offers ultimately was accepted ( all of which were very high ).

Every player has a price......its just that the price pretty much makes them "untouchable" because the price to acquire them is so high.

OnlyPacersLeft
03-27-2006, 08:01 PM
knicks would have to giveup on a lot of their young talent including frye...KGs not getting any younger so I don't know...marbz+KG=bad idea.

sweabs
03-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Garnett Just Wants to Win
Link (http://www.startribune.com/511/story/334535.html)

On Monday, Kevin Garnett said the Timberwolves "should at least give me that," that being the chance to play on a team with a chance to win a title. He stopped short of asking for a trade and expressed confidence that Wolves owner Glen Taylor would do the right thing.

Wolves VP Kevin McHale, through a team spokesman, declined to comment. Taylor did not return phone messages.

================================================== =========

As people have already mentioned: no guy is untouchable. You need to throw offers out there...stay persistent.

Anthem
03-28-2006, 02:42 PM
As people have already mentioned: no guy is untouchable. You need to throw offers out there...stay persistent.
I just don't see them doing better than JO/Tinsley or JO/Jack.

CableKC
03-28-2006, 03:33 PM
I just don't see them doing better than JO/Tinsley or JO/Jack.
I think that either are decent deals....but I don't think its the best. We may have the best offer that involved a top 10 Big Man....but it may not be the best offer that they get. Looking just at the East ( where IF such a trade would happend....it would be to the Eastern Conference team...not a conference rival ) teams like Philly, Boston and even NY can make decent offers ( if not comprable offers ) involving one of their top players ( like Iverson...Pierce.....Marbury....all rumored players that can be moved if they rebuild ) coupled with draft picks and young players ( like Dalembert, Al Jefferson, Frye ) can offer comprable deals.

The only way that we could go over the top is to involve either Granger or Harrison.

Anthem
03-28-2006, 03:56 PM
teams like Philly, Boston and even NY can make decent offers ( if not comprable offers ) involving one of their top players ( like Iverson...Pierce.....Marbury....all rumored players that can be moved if they rebuild ) coupled with draft picks and young players ( like Dalembert, Al Jefferson, Frye ) can offer comprable deals.

Iverson/Dalembert is a decent deal for both teams from a pure talent standpoint, but I'm not sure it really makes sense for both teams. Philly loves Iverson, but then they'd love KG as well. I don't know that Minny would love Iverson. Regardless, both teams would have to be reworked.

Pierce and Jefferson's an intriguing deal. If I'm Minny, I'd rather have a top-5 PF and a decent SG/SF than a top-10 SG and a decent PF. I don't think I'm alone in that. Plus, you gotta think KG would hate being reunited with Wally.

Neither of those deals send KG into a winning situation. And maybe I drastically undervalue Stephon, but from my perspective a Marbury/Frye deal is nowhere close to what we could offer (even without including Granger/Harrison).

CableKC
03-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Iverson/Dalembert is a decent deal for both teams from a pure talent standpoint, but I'm not sure it really makes sense for both teams. Philly loves Iverson, but then they'd love KG as well. I don't know that Minny would love Iverson. Regardless, both teams would have to be reworked.

Pierce and Jefferson's an intriguing deal. If I'm Minny, I'd rather have a top-5 PF and a decent SG/SF than a top-10 SG and a decent PF. I don't think I'm alone in that. Plus, you gotta think KG would hate being reunited with Wally.

Neither of those deals send KG into a winning situation. And maybe I drastically undervalue Stephon, but from my perspective a Marbury/Frye deal is nowhere close to what we could offer (even without including Granger/Harrison).
I forgot about the KG+Wally Lovefest....but you see my point.

I don't think a "All the Draft picks+young players that I want" type deal for KG would fly or even make any sense for KG......a franchise player would have to come back in any deal with KG along with anyone else that McHale would want in order for such a deal to make sense from a TWolves perspective.

Like most of you...I'm in favor of any deal that did not send Granger away.....unless we got back Hassell back as well as KG. But I doubt that McHale would want to do that......and would at least want Granger or Harrison in return.

Either way....the best offer that I can come up with is a JONeal + "anyone not named Granger, Foster or Harrison" deal.

I know it probably won't happen.....but if KG is not available but the TWolves are willing to listen to offers......then I hope that Bird at least gives McHale a call to make a run at him. As long as Granger, Foster or Harrison is not included......then Bird should not pass up the opportunity to acquire one of the top 3 players in the league.

Kstat
03-28-2006, 07:13 PM

Shaq and Wilt essentially traded themselves. Their ginat egos made them want to be a bigger star in another city. KG doesnt strike me as a guy concerned with his star power.

Garnett is too big a persona for a team to trade. He basically has to go to them and say "I want to be traded."

PacerMan
03-28-2006, 07:42 PM

That's simply not true. If you were an owner you would be in that position because you were a very good businessman that made a sh*tload of money. That means you don't stick your head in the sand hum loudly when offers are made. There is ALWAYS a price that will sway who or what is untouchable.
Miami offers you Shaq and Wade and they trade for Amare and LIvingston and throw them in too.
You just changed your mind. Don't fib.

CableKC
03-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Shaq and Wilt essentially traded themselves. Their ginat egos made them want to be a bigger star in another city. KG doesnt strike me as a guy concerned with his star power.

Garnett is too big a persona for a team to trade. He basically has to go to them and say "I want to be traded."
KG does seem to be that type of player.....but losing can easily take a toll on any player.

I wouldn't be surprised....in private....if he pretty much has demanded a trade. In public....its the standard "I want to remain in Minny" type response short of demanding a trade. But in private.....there is no way that he is not hinting...if not demanding.....that they make major moves this offseason to make them a Championship/Playoff contender ( which is really hard to do considering their current roster ) or else.

As it seems unlikely that there is any single move that they can make that would make them a contender next season.....unless they somehow acquire a very solid Low-Post PF ( like Boozer ).....then they won't have any choice but to secretly try to trade him. He maybe cordial now....but I doubt that he will be so happy next season when he sees that the Twolves are no different next season then they were this season.

CableKC
03-28-2006, 07:47 PM
That's simply not true. If you were an owner you would be in that position because you were a very good businessman that made a sh*tload of money. That means you don't stick your head in the sand hum loudly when offers are made. There is ALWAYS a price that will sway who or what is untouchable.
Miami offers you Shaq and Wade and they trade for Amare and LIvingston and throw them in too.
You just changed your mind. Don't fib.
There maybe a 99.9% chance that the owners won't budge on voluntarily trading KG....but if someone sneaks in with that offer that simply peaks their interest.....that .1% chance of KG being traded just won the lotto.

A player may not be untouchable....just very very hard to trade as his price is pretty much sky-high.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
03-28-2006, 08:31 PM
If KG stays in Minnesota for the rest of his career, he could go down as one of the biggest wasted talents ever. KG knows this. And his recent statements about deserving to have a winning team around him to me seems like his way of telling their management he doesnt want his career wasted. To this point I still dont think KG has been given a good team to work with. I mean their best run was with Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell, thats not really too good of a team if you ask me.

Look at Minnesota's roster now, that team is a bunch of nobodys. Eggie Gill is about as good as half their roster. Even Ricky Davis isnt really that great (he was the sixth man on the friggin Celtics for crying out loud.) Trenton Hassel? A decent roleplayer but deffinitely not someone to get too excited about. The fact is the T'Wolves are going nowhere, and KG knows this. I think he is being very professional giving them another season to get things in order, but I dont think they will be any better next season.

Their starting lineup got a little bit better with the Boston trade, but its still not that great, hell even Atlanta puts out a better lineup. They are gonna need a major shakeup to even be in the race for the playoffs next year. And they dont really have much to bargain with, except for the young talent that came over from Boston. I dont see anything good happening in Minnesota unless KG is traded.

And for those saying that he'll never be traded because of his statements of loyalty in the press, thats complete bull. Havent you guys learned anything from Donnie Walsh? Thats pretty much the standard reply to trade rumors all players and management give if they are trying to be professional about it. Just because we had the craziest ******* in the NBA publically demand a trade on us doesnt mean thats how everyone does it.