Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

The official Reggie Miller thread....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The official Reggie Miller thread....

Since we are approaching Reggie's retirement date I thought it would be nice for to have a thread where everybody can talk about Reggie. It could be a favorite memory, a thought about Reggie, a wish for his future health, whatever. This is the place for you to let it out about Reggie Miller.

I'll go ahead & start.

This might be long or it might be short I don't know, we'll just have to see how it is when I'm done.

When I think about Reggie Miller now (after he has retired) I realize that I am like that old hair metal band Cinderella when they sang that song so long ago "Don't know what you've got till it's gone".

I will go ahead & fess up now. I was never a Reggie Miller fan when he was playing. Often times I felt embarrassed by the way he flopped on the court and I was often times offended by his need to trash talk the opponet after he hit a shot. More times than not I wanted to kill him when he would verbally abuse a referee because he often would draw a "T" after making a basket & drawing a foul. I caveat that by saying whenever he would verbally abuse Benet Savatore I was always with him 100%, but that is for another post.

I felt he relied on the three point shot to much, I was p!ssed beyond belief that he wouldn't rebound & there were times I'd pull my hair out of my head when he would pass up open shots later in his career so Jermaine could get a shot.

From his third contract on I thought he was over paid and I just knew that no other team would have given him a 2 mil dollar deal on his last contract let alone the 6 mil. we gave him.

Ok, here it is.

I was a fool. I was wrong.

Sometimes you just can't see the forrest for the tree's & that is about the only excuse I will try & offer up.

I watched him for so long & saw so many games with him that I did NOT properly appreciate him as a star.

That's right for those of you out there that were in this faction back on the star board here is your time to let me have it.

Because if I had to do it all over again I would gladly have joined in the group that listed Reggie's A Superstar. Or RAS for short.

I never appreciated the fact that Reggie Miller played the vast majority of the games he was eligable to play in. I never appreciated the fact that he came early & stayed late to every practice. I never appreciated the fact that he never was a distraction to the franchise. I never appreciated the fact that he was a spokesman for the City & the State of Indiana. I never appreciated that Reggie Miller was one of the greatest shooters to ever play the game. I never appreciated that other players considered Reggie a threat on the floor that opened up opprotunities for others. I never appreciated the fact that coach's often made entire defensive sets to limit Reggie's touches. I never appreciated that at the end of a game that the man could get off a shot even though every player, coach, ref & fan in the arena knew it would be him to get the ball. I never appriciated the fact that nobody ever worked harder on the court than Reggie.

At the end, I never appreciated the fact that for 18 years I was blessed to have watched one of the best basketball players to ever play the game. That feels funny saying that now, not because it feels odd today but because for so many years I lived in denial of that very fact. Reggie Miller is one of the top 50 players to have ever played the game.

I'd give any player we have on our team right now for Reggie Miller. I think when it's all said & done(and this is no offense to any of the other greats ie. Big Mac, Mel, Roger, etc.) I think I would give any player that has ever played for the Pacers to have have Reggie Miller back on the team now.

The more I read other players like Eddie Johnson, who has no real reason to lie, say that Reggie Miller was a pro's pro and the most unselfish superstar he had ever played for. The more I kick myself in the *** everyday. I should have just spent more years being a fan instead of wishing he was better.

Now don't get me wrong, it's not like I hated Reggie or anything. In fact I always sort of liked him, but he was never my favorite player on the team except for two times.

The second time he was my favorite player was after the 00 team was busted up. The fact that Reggie did not publicly thrash the Pacers management was a testament to his professionalism. His entire team was torn asunder after he signed an extension and he was left here as a draw to the fans. I won't lie, I litterally didn't care one way or the other for the 00/01 Indiana Pacers other than for Reggie. Since he was the only link to the past glory I kind of held onto him as my favorite Pacer.

However it's the first time that Reggie was my favorite player that I want to talk about now.

Jay, you will want to skip this part.

I've told this story before so some of you may just want to skip ahead as well, but since were doing this thread for posteritys sake I will retell it.

It was the 91/92 playoffs & for the second year in a row we were playing the Boston Celtics. The previous year we had played the Celtics tough & had taken them to 5 games & gave them everything they ever wanted and then some. A young Chuck Person was going tit for tat with a Larry Bird who was just starting to reach the downside of his career but still a force on the floor.

Chuck was vocal, animated & ultimately very good in that series. But hidden behind the great series that Chuck had was a a young Reggie Miller who had a good series himself, just not as animated.

However in the 91/92 series things were differant. We were swept out in three games & the team had no passion, fire or willpower. In fact the Celtics pretty much dominated us.

At the end of game three as we were applauding the team as the clock wound down and the buzzer rang. Players were shaking hands at half court & embracing.

This is when I saw two absolute opposites in action.

At the half court stood Chuck Person (again Jay do NOT read this) smiling, shaking hands & joking with the Celtics. I mean he was having a good old time. When I say he was joking with the Celtics I mean where I was sitting on the runway aisle I could hear him laughing & cutting up. BTW, Chuck had sucked in this series.

Then there under the basket I saw a lone figure, a man squated down on the floor with his head looking at the floor. Nobody was around this guy & he did not look happy. It was Reggie, who btw had played a good series.

Reggie stood up, walked to half court shook hands like a gentleman (there was no hugging or high fiving) and then walked down the hometeam ramp. There were a few of us left there that weren't wearing kelly green so we gave him a light round of applause then he stopped & pointed at us. Of course the ovations got louder at this point. He walked by & shook hands with some of the guys on the rail & then left the floor.

I knew there & then that Reggie was the type of player I would like, he hated to lose.

Of course Reggie stayed my favorite for a couple of years, then Dale Davis hit the scene but that is another post in the future.

However I want to share one last thing with you if you will endulge me.

I want to share with you my greatest Reggie Miller moment.

I've seen them all either on TV or live in person. I was as thrilled as anyone in the wolrd when he shoved off Jordan & nailed that three, I about died of a heart attack when he scored all of those points in the 4th quarter vs. the Knicks.

But none of that will compare to my favorite Reggie Miller moment & it wasn't even something he did on the floor.

It was 1994 and we were playing the Orlando Magic in the first round of the playoffs. We had won game one on the biggest shot ever made in franchise history by Byron Scott off of a Reggie assist & we had won game two as well.

Game three was winding down & MSA was litterally the madhouse on market street. For those of you to young to remember I feel sorry for you because this was pure magic (pardon the pun). The fans were chanting S-W-E-E-P over & over again because we were winning. It was loud & it was crazy in there.

As the final buzzer sounded the fans erupt, fireworks hit & confetti flew. Yes it was a little to much maybe,but our franchise had never been out of the first round at that point.

Anyway after all the on court celebrations & congratulations between the teams the fans were still there, still chanting.

The rest of the team was walking to the locker room but one player did not.

Reggie Miller ran to each corner of the floor & pointed out to every section of fans. He then proceeded to jump onto the scorers table and begins to high five as many fans as he could reach.

I know that this may sound hokey or hell even stupid but I felt like we all bonded with Reggie that night. That night I felt like Reggie was as much a fan of the fans as we were fans of him. Corny? Probably but unless you were there it's hard to explain the pure electircity in the air.

Anyway, I'll stop now though I will probably come back from time to time to add more stories.

Please guys, give us your feelings, story's, thoughts whatever.

Oh yea, one last thing. I just wanted to post one of my favorite pictures of three of my favorite players.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Re: The official Reggie Miller thread....

Peck, I have a feeling that that if you wrote a recipe book, I'd read it.

You've got a gift, man.
    This space for rent.

Comment

Reggie Miller is the reason I love the Pacers. There is no better way of putting it. His tenure on the team made up most of my lifetime so I grew up watching him as the only constant on our perenially successful team that I believe helped put Indianapolis in the spotlight. The city owes a lot to him for being part of such an exciting and hopeful time. I remember being at a graduation ceremony during the 94 playoffs and everyone carrying walkmans to listen to the game rather than pay attention to the commencement. There are too many favorite moments to pick just one, but this definitely ranks among them...

Comment

Peck, man this makes me so sad. I'm a youngin' so I didn't get to see all of Reggie's magic, but I saw a lot, even though it was at the end of his career.

See, I wasn't really a diehard Pacer fan when they made the Finals, but I always liked Reggie and hoped the best for the Pacers. I became a diehard after the Finals, and each and every year since then I've followed them more and more close.

But, that's not what we're talking about right now, we're talking about Reggie moments, and I'll have to say one of the best moments for me was Game 1 of the ECF three years ago. We were playing the Pistons and remember this was the 61 win team. I remember Reggie hitting that three off of a Foster screen and the whole place went nuts, I mean it got really loud. I loved it. It was the only "true" Miller Moment I had witnessed live and it was sweet.

In fact, the whole playoff run of 03-04, I really enjoyed, as I have mentioned before.

It was just a good year and I think one of the reasons I liked it so much was because it was the first time we went deep in the playoffs since I had become diehard.

I remember the Miami series and watching on TV and being at Game 5, I think it was and hearing the cars honk their horns.....ahhh....

That's really all I can think of now. But I'll post more if I think of more. I just miss Reggie so much....
        Super Bowl XLI Champions
        2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Comment

Peck, that was very deep. I truly loved that.
          ...Still "flying casual"
          @roaminggnome74

Comment

Peck... thank you.

I just read your whole post and I was cool.. until the end when you started talking about the sweep over Orlando in '94... now i'm crying.

I was at the game. I was 13 years old, but being the historian that I am... even at the young age, I knew that the Pacers had never done much of anything in the NBA. I wasn't even thought of back in the ABA days. My mom and dad were teenagers then.

My dad was determined to be at that game. I know he spent a pretty penny for those tickets on the street. So we got in... and I remember every single thing about that night. Going up to the rafters and watching our Pacers make history. It was the last game my dad and I went to together. Not too long after that, my dad and mom broke up and I barely saw him again until I graduated from college three years ago. A year and half after that he passed away.

Dad would always praise the Pacers... especially Reggie. He loved how Reggie cared about the game, cared about the city, and wanted to be a competitor. I've been a Reggie Miller fan since I was 9 years old and had my haircut just like him... with the ramp.

http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/regg...r_gallery8.jpg

I'm not going to write a long entry... at least not right now because I need to collect my thoughts. But Reggie will always be my favorite player. From now until eternity.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Helmet
              Peck, man this makes me so sad. I'm a youngin' so I didn't get to see all of Reggie's magic, but I saw a lot, even though it was at the end of his career.

See, I wasn't really a diehard Pacer fan when they made the Finals, but I always liked Reggie and hoped the best for the Pacers. I became a diehard after the Finals, and each and every year since then I've followed them more and more close.
              Same here.

I saw some awesome Reg moments, but I'll never forget him an Dale teaming up, playing 20 years below their actual age, an carrying us to th playoffs last year. Just amazing.
              You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Comment

Good thread. I'll have to add to this later.

Comment

Peck, thank you, that was awesome.

Reggie Miller has had one of the greatest influences of anybody in my life. It may sound stupid to have one of your most admired influences be somebody you've never met, but he truly is. Ever since I was four years old I've been a Pacers fan, and a die hard Reggie Fan. I'm not ashamed to say the reason I'm a fan today is this man, nor am I embarrased to say I am the person I am today because of him.

I would never hold as much hope in things as I do if it weren't for him. I wouldn't be able to take as many knocks as I have without thinking about what he's been through. I am an athlete because of Reggie. I remember every night after the playoff games in the summer when I was about 10 I would go outside and imulate everything Reggie had done just hours before. Honestly, I'm not sure if I would believe in Miracles if it weren't for #31. Really, even if you don't like him, you can't deny what he's done miraculous.
                  Reggie has taken the team upon his shoulders more than once, damn he became a franchise.

I don't think I'll ever forgive myself for never seeing him play in person, it will be one of my,if my only, regret. It sounds stupid, but I keep a picture of him in purse just in case I see him one day and I can get an autograph. I read articles,watch game clips, read posts like Peck's and just breakdown sometimes. I Love basketball, I love the Pacers, and I Love Reggie Miller. I wish I could give him something back for everything he's given me.

I know this is probably really corny, but I don't care, it's the truth.

18 seasons, year after year......
                  Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Originally posted by Conrad Brunner
                  Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Comment

I wish i was old enough to have witness all of reggie's career, but i still got to see some of his greatest works and i thought the older he got the more amazing his shots were.

Comment

I've watched Pacers basketball for at least 18 years and the culmination of that for me is this Thursday night. There will be no greater Pacer moment in my lifetime, save a championship banner being hoisted. Even then, I'm not sure it will mean as much to me as seeing #31 go up.

Congratulations Reggie, you were, are, and always will be the face of the franchise as far as I'm concerned.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Comment

That was awesome Peck. My personal favoriate Reggie moment was game 5 of the first round of the 2000 playoffs. Sure it was the game Travis Best hit the three, but Reggie scored 40 that game and I will always remember that. It was my first playoff game at Conseco and Reggie was great. The reason that I chose that one was because that was the first time that I really felt a connection with Reggie. I was a pretty huge fan before that, but that game was the one that made me a fan for life.

Comment

I'm wondering if Peck and NaptownBound's posts should be framed.

Very nice and moving.

-Bball
                          Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

That was great Peck, I remember the 1994 playoffs better than any playoff run. The younger members of this forum cannot possibly understand what it felt like to finally win a playoff series. When I read posts from those of you under 25 years old complaining about how the Pacers have never won a championship. I just shake my head. I was 26 years old before the Pacers won a playoff series in my lifetime, a playoff series.

In fact for years and years they never made the playoffs. For years and years they never won 30 games. Most current Pacers fans have no idea what it's like to have 3500fans in the stands to watch the Pacers. The younger fans among us have no idea just how bad things were, just how close to leaving Indianapolis the Pacers franchise was. When the Pacers beat the Magic in 1994 I cried. Maybe partially I cried out of joy, but more than that it was a pride thing, I was so proud of the team and my emotions got the better of me. All those years of people making fun of me for being a Pacers fan, all those years of listening to Bob Lamey on my transistor radio when I was supposed to be sleeping, all those years of being sick and tired of the lovcal media ignoring or making fun of the Pacers, all of that seemed finally to be worth it.

What does this have to do with Reggie Miller? Well I strongly believe the team never would have won a playoff series in 1994 or in 1995 without Reggie Miller, Conseco never would have been built and Pacers would have left Indianapolis. Reggie saved the franchise, he rised the franchise to what it is today, Reggie did all that. Just think how many fans are Pacer fans today just because of Reggie Miller. He's the face of the franchise.

Years from now I'll be able to tell others about Reggie Miller and what he did and how he saved the franchise.

As far as an individual game, I always first think of game 5 in 1996. It was the deciding game against the Hawks at MSA and yes the Pacers lost. That was the year Reggie had the eye injury, he missed the first 4 games and came back for game 5, scored 29 points and almost lead the Pacers to victory in that deciding game. That game told us everything we needed to know about Reggie. His mental toughness was his greatest strength.

Comment

I'm a Canadian; was born and raised to play hockey. My Dad went on hockey scholarships as one of the best players in the province. He had me on the ice playing at the young age of 4. I remember sitting on the couch with him watching the Leafs each and every night as a kid on TV. So 15-20 years later, why the heck is my room covered in the blue and gold, with Pacers logos everywhere?

Reggie Miller.

I never bothered watching a minute of basketball before my first encounter with Reggie. I sucked at basketball. My friends and I only played hoops when road hockey, baseball, soccer, or football became out of the question (because of a shortage of players). It was obviously not high on the list of priorities, and I was fortunate for that because I sucked. The girl next door could beat me at a game of "bump". I had no interest in the sport whatsoever.

I was at my Grandma's house for the day. Consequently, I was left with maybe 4 or 5 channels to choose from on the TV. I forget all of the choices, but I remember that I really debated between watching the NBA Playoffs (Indiana VS New York) or Blossom. Blossom looked like a mighty fine choice at that time for a 10 year old kid with no interest in basketball, but it must have been a repeat or something...because I opted out to watch my first taste of NBA basketball and more importantly, Reggie Miller and the Indiana Pacers.

It was May 7, 1995. Reggie's infamous "8 points in 18 seconds". I remember developing a strong hatred for the Knicks during that game and their crowd. They just bothered me, and I was pulling for the "underdogs" on the road. Unfortunately, with 18 seconds left in the game it seemed as though there was no hope for Indiana. Oh well - I wasn't that attached to them at that point anyway...but at least I somewhat enjoyed a game of basketball. Little did I know that it was far from being over...

When Reggie pulled off what he did, I can not explain what I felt. I had never seen anything like that before. Remember, the only real sport I paid attention to up until that point was hockey...and I had witnessed nothing in hockey that was equal to what Reggie had just accomplished in a mere 18 seconds. From that point onward, Reggie represented the ultimate fighter in my eyes. He never gave up! He was the "True Warrior" for all I cared.

I realized that I had witnessed something special, and I felt as though I was a part of that Pacers win. They were my team from that point onward, and I owe that to Reggie Miller.

But Reggie was more than just a basketball player to me. He became a model figure in my life, while I was still probably just an "impressionable kid". He represented the underdog at it's fullest. As time went on, I started hearing more about his persistent work ethic, his silent leadership qualities, his professionalism, etc. All the intangibles that made Reggie such a great basketball player and person. Those were the things that I wanted to acquire...I wanted to be like Reggie. I could relate to him.

I played triple A soccer for most of my childhood at a high level, but was never seen as the fastest kid, or the most skilled player for that matter. But now when I reflect back upon it, it's amazing to see the impact that Reggie had. I'm serious - our soccer team was listed in the top 5 in Canada...we were good, and there were some real talented players on our team. I often felt as though I wasn't good enough for those guys...even though I was a starting defender. But I approached the game like Reggie.

If Reggie was such a great leader, then I would be too. I became the captain of our team, even though I was far from being the most skilled player on the field.

If Reggie worked his *** off, then so would I. I ran 10km three times a week as part of my weekly schedule on top of soccer practices/games/tournaments. I worked on conditioning and skills outside of practice time, and it made all the difference.

Hell, I even developed a little swagger like Reggie when I was feeling it.

You see - Reggie was not blessed with the physical gifts that guys like Lebron James have...nor was I blessed with the inherent skill to blow by my opponents or dic them out with fancy moves in soccer. So what I lacked in those areas, I would make up for in other ways. I think this is the most important thing that Reggie taught me, and it has lasted with me still to this day and will never be forgotten. I approach everything - whether it be sports, school, jobs, ANYTHING - with 110% effort and preparation. It has just become part of me, and I'm thankful that I had such a great role model as a kid to instill these qualities in me.

I think my favourite memory of Reggie Miller was the 2001 First round of playoffs against the Nets. He came to that game so mentally focussed and prepared, it's uncanny. I remember being so happy when he hit the long-range bomb from near half-court to send the game into OT screaming "He's still got it! He's still got it!" And then I remember being utterly surprised when he made that game-tying DUNK DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE LANE to send the game into 2OT...wow. I was in disbelief that he could still get up like that after everything he had just gone through. But that was Reggie in the playoffs...that is what you could expect. He was just a notch above everyone else in playoffs. I think he gave Kevin Ollie an important shot down the stretch of the game (which ended up missing), and Reggie was man enough to take the blame upon himself...even after everything he did.

Man, I really miss that guy. But he'll never, EVER be forgotten because when people ask me "how on earth did you get into basketball and become an Indiana PACER fan at that", I can tell the story of Reggie Miller. To take things one step further, every time I go above and beyond on a given task, or become the designated leader for a project or team, or leave 110% on whatever assignment has been given......I can look back and thank Reggie. And that is why I know he will never be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                              X