PDA

View Full Version : #31 jersey retirement - anyone know how this is gonna work?

NaptownBound
03-25-2006, 10:11 PM
has it been said when the ceremony is going to happen?
will it be before the game, like Utah did with Karl Malone?
will it be during halftime?
will it be after the game?

does anyone know?
has the info been divulged yet?

Hicks
03-25-2006, 10:32 PM
I had always read that it was going to be at half-time. But if so, I hope it's a special extended half-time. I don't want some rushed-*** effort for Reggie.

efx
03-26-2006, 12:36 AM
When the Knicks did it for Ewing it was an extended halftime that went on for over 40 minutes I think.

One of the most moving things I've ever attended in my life.

Jermaniac
03-26-2006, 12:44 AM
League Pass better show it.

heywoode
03-26-2006, 12:44 AM
I am particularly concerned about the lighting...I can't remember for other player's ceremonies....did they dim the lights and use spotlighting?

Seems it would be better if they left the lights on, particularly for me taking pictures!!

Anyone have any thoughts?

efx
03-26-2006, 02:17 AM
At the one I went to the lights were pretty dim.

heywoode
03-26-2006, 02:22 AM
At the one I went to the lights were pretty dim.

I figured as much...thanks for the info

grace
03-26-2006, 03:38 AM
They dimmed the lights for the ceremony after Reggie's last regular season game. Actually it was more like they turned them all off except for the spotlight.

03-26-2006, 04:54 AM
The game will be on TNT right? Will TNT show the ceremony at half time?

heywoode
03-26-2006, 09:43 AM
They dimmed the lights for the ceremony after Reggie's last regular season game. Actually it was more like they turned them all off except for the spotlight.

That's what I remember too and my pictures were pretty crappy. I think I took about 50 and got 3 or 4 to turn out good.

I know quite a bit more about photography now, but given what I DO know; being a large distance from my subject with general low-light conditions with spotlighting is about the worst possible scenario for getting good shots with the equipment I have. I need a combination of a low f-stop with a long zoom and those lenses are expensive!!

Oh well, at least I will BE THERE to experience it!!

The game will be on TNT right? Will TNT show the ceremony at half time?

I was wondering the same thing...I was at the game for the other Reggie ceremony so I don't know if that was broadcast. It was after the game, so I doubt it was. If the jersey retirement ceremony is at halftime I would think there is a reasonable shot at it being broadcast. Not sure if it helps at all that it is on TNT and Reggie is employed by them...I sure hope they televise it...

Unclebuck
03-26-2006, 10:30 AM
TNT will televise it, I do wonder if they'll show all of it though, probably not. I'm thinking about 75%. They do afterall have a ton of commercials they show at halftime.

Hicks
03-26-2006, 11:40 AM
FSN did broadcast Reggie's "farewell" after the Bulls game.

TNT does have this game, but it beats me if they'll show it all, or show parts of it.

aceace
03-26-2006, 12:01 PM
Some of the TNT games have been on Ch.4 as well

Roaming Gnome
03-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Well this is just my speculation but, the game is part of a double header, Lakers Vs. Spurs and there will not be an extended halftime. We probably will get what Hick mentioned, a rushed *** production because Reggie's cerimony can't hold up Kobe and the Lakers. NBA.com and TNT has the Lakers starting at 10:30 eastern.

I just hope the cerimony is after the game to avoid the NBA and TNT trampling on giving Reggie the proper send off. Kobe can wait!!!

NaptownBound
03-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Well this is just my speculation but, the game is part of a double header, Lakers Vs. Spurs and there will not be an extended halftime. We probably will get what Hick mentioned, a rushed *** production because Reggie's cerimony can't hold up Kobe and the Lakers. NBA.com and TNT has the Lakers starting at 10:30 eastern.

I just hope the cerimony is after the game to avoid the NBA and TNT trampling on giving Reggie the proper send off. Kobe can wait!!!

I agree, I hope it's after the game. But if it's before the game, I would like to know that because I'm coming from out of town to be at the game.

pacerwaala
03-26-2006, 05:29 PM
I agree, I hope it's after the game. But if it's before the game, I would like to know that because I'm coming from out of town to be at the game.

It is either going to be at half-time or after the game. I doubt if it will be before the game. People can't get there after work that fast.

Also, since the Lakers play someone at 10:30 eastern, it has to be after the game. It will be hard to finish Reggie's cermony during half time. I hope they atleast show it on NBA TV.

Roaming Gnome
03-26-2006, 05:41 PM
It's Officially at Halftime!
During the 76'ers game today, they announced many times a special Halftime ceremony for the retirement of Reggie's #31.

So, I'm sure TNT and the NBA will be in a rush to get it finished so they don't hold up Kobe and the Lakers 10:30pm tip. :puke:

Lord Helmet
03-26-2006, 05:47 PM
During the 76'ers game today, they announced many times a special Halftime ceremony for the retirement of Reggie's #31.

So, I'm sure TNT and the NBA will be in a rush to get it finished so they don't hold up Kobe and the Lakers 10:30pm tip. :puke:
Man screw Kobe.

Pacersfan.
03-26-2006, 06:07 PM
OMG, if Reggie's ceremony lasts too long then they won't get over to the Lakers-Heat game in time to see if Kobe and Shaq shake hands.

Jaydawg2270
03-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Reggie is a TNT employee so maybe they wont rush the ceremony

Hicks
03-26-2006, 06:13 PM
Every Game 2 for TNT is listed at 10:30, but they never seem to start earlier than 10:45 due to commercials. I'm sure if they want to stretch it out, it will happen.

NaptownBound
03-26-2006, 07:12 PM
Every Game 2 for TNT is listed at 10:30, but they never seem to start earlier than 10:45 due to commercials. I'm sure if they want to stretch it out, it will happen.

well, if the game starts at 8:00 on the dot (highly unlikely for sure), well then, an extended halftime won't interfere too much with the next game. and like Hicks said, the second game usually starts at 10:45 or 10:50.

Trader Joe
03-26-2006, 08:20 PM
TNT has ZERO control of what happens. The Phoenix-Indiana game is arguably the more competitive game anyways. The LA and Miami game can tip and if they want to switch over I couldnt give two ****s. They can switch if they like and we will take our sweet time honoring Reggie.

Suaveness
03-26-2006, 08:25 PM
Will someone be able to record it?

NaptownBound
03-26-2006, 08:44 PM

thanks for the update man.. i really appreciate it.
i'm flying in from DC on Thursday and i'm speaking to a group at Ball State at 5:30 p.m. and wanted to know when I had to leave Muncie to get to the game.

mboyle1313
03-26-2006, 09:44 PM
All,
Here are answers to some of your questions:

1) TNT has exclusivity. I have been told that they will air part of the ceremony, though I can't say which part.

2) The Pacers Radio Network will cover the entire ceremony.

3) Halftime has been extended from 14:00 to 24:00.

MJB

Hicks
03-26-2006, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the information!

Peck
03-26-2006, 09:56 PM
All,
Here are answers to some of your questions:

1) TNT has exclusivity. I have been told that they will air part of the ceremony, though I can't say which part.

2) The Pacers Radio Network will cover the entire ceremony.

3) Halftime has been extended from 14:00 to 24:00.

MJB

Are you going to be the M.C. of the event?

Hicks
03-26-2006, 09:58 PM
Are you going to be the M.C. of the event?

Furthermore, can you reveal any details of the event itself? Guest speakers/appearances? Does Reggie give a speech? Does Donnie?

NaptownBound
03-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks Mr. Boyle. I appreciate your help in answering my questions. Thanks to all of you.

Now I know how long I can stay in Muncie.

Bball
03-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Will David Stern attend?

-Bball

Unclebuck
03-26-2006, 10:23 PM
The early TNT game always start at 8:15. Perhaps what they could do is move the tipoff to 8:05, that will give them 10 extra minutes.

The late game often starts at 10:45, 10:50 or even 10:55, they usually hold the second game.

TNT CONTROLS Thursday nights. So whatever they say goes.

Also, TNT has exclusive rights to the games they show, so in other words they cannot be shown on local TV. Unless TNT makes some type of special consideration

Doug in CO
03-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Stupid question - but cameras are allowed? Correct?

soguki
03-26-2006, 11:50 PM
well,you guys are so lucky.
i am a chinese fan, i can not go to the game or watch TV.
i must get the video after you put it on the internet. thank you.

mboyle1313
03-26-2006, 11:54 PM
Uncle Buck,

You are, at least to a degree, misinformed. While TNT is given an extra couple of minutes for inventory at the half, the content of any half time program is the sole province of the NBA and the home team, with the visitor kept in the loop on special nights such as this one.

To answer the other questions, 1) I am the MC, and 2) I don't think it would be the franchise's desire that I release the program. You'll have to wait and watch, listen, or attend.

MJB

Unclebuck
03-27-2006, 12:00 AM
Uncle Buck,

You are, at least to a degree, misinformed. While TNT is given an extra couple of minutes for inventory at the half, the content of any half time program is the sole province of the NBA and the home team, with the visitor kept in the loop on special nights such as this one.

MJB

I did not express myself for well in my prior post, I didn't mean to imply that TNT would in any way control what the Pacers did to honor Reggie at halftime.

Trader Joe
03-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Bingo. Im not sure how TNT could control it if we decided to make a halftime go on for an hour. Maybe this can be cleared up by my understading is that if we say ok this halftime is going to go on for X minutes and Phoenix agrees Im not sure TNT can do anything about it to get to the LA Miami game without just switching. I will be there and I will be taking it all in.

Kegboy
03-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Haven't you guys ever seen TNT games go over? Check that, has anybody ever seen a TNT game that didn't go over?! If the Lakers game starts before our game is over, even well before our game is over, they'll either stick with our game, or if it's a blowout, switch. May miss some of the game itself, but I have a hard time believing the halftime won't be over with by 10:30.

pacercoltfan
03-27-2006, 05:10 PM
That's what I remember too and my pictures were pretty crappy. I think I took about 50 and got 3 or 4 to turn out good.

I know quite a bit more about photography now, but given what I DO know; being a large distance from my subject with general low-light conditions with spotlighting is about the worst possible scenario for getting good shots with the equipment I have. I need a combination of a low f-stop with a long zoom and those lenses are expensive!!

Oh well, at least I will BE THERE to experience it!!

I was wondering the same thing...I was at the game for the other Reggie ceremony so I don't know if that was broadcast. It was after the game, so I doubt it was. If the jersey retirement ceremony is at halftime I would think there is a reasonable shot at it being broadcast. Not sure if it helps at all that it is on TNT and Reggie is employed by them...I sure hope they televise it...

If you have a 35mm camera, maybe you should try to get you some 1000 speed film. That's designed specifically for low light situations. If you're really lucky, you might be able to get 1600 speed film. Not sure if the 1600 is still available though.

heywoode
03-27-2006, 05:22 PM
If you have a 35mm camera, maybe you should try to get you some 1000 speed film. That's designed specifically for low light situations. If you're really lucky, you might be able to get 1600 speed film. Not sure if the 1600 is still available though.

I use a digital rebel....I can set the ISO speed to 1600 if I want to...I usually have it on 800 for sports photos, but it would probably be worth it to bump up for the low light situation. What I REALLY need is to find someone who has a Canon EF compatible lens that has a low f-stop and a high zoom! Anybody? Bueller?

Thanks for the suggestion!