PDA

View Full Version : I'm glad we didn't get Maggette!

Will Galen
03-25-2006, 01:19 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap/

Maggette wants to start
According to the L.A. Times, after returning form a foot injury earlier this month Clippers forward Corey Maggette says it is time he not only gets more minutes, but he wants his starting role back too.

"This is on the coach now," Maggette said Friday. "He needs to throw me in there. All this little minutes here and there it's just crazy."

Maggette missed 39 games due to the injury, and has been coming off the bench while Quinton Ross has been starting.

"It needs to change," he said. "I'm 100%. I'm ready to play. Simple as that."
-----------

Mags has been back 11 games now and I wondered how long it would be before he started rocking the boat. He's a very good player, but who starts is the coach's call not his. Sometimes teams are better with a very good player being the 6th man.

To many players today have Mags attitude. Why they talk to the press instead of the coach is beyond me. If he did talk to the coach before talking to the press his action is even more reprehensible.

I thought Mags would be a good trade for Ron from the standpoint of getting something worthwhile for Ron, but I didn't really want him. As is I think we made out like a mouse in a cheese factory. Not only is Peja a better player, but he has a great attitude! We made out!

rexnom
03-25-2006, 01:22 PM
Mags has been back 11 games now and I wondered how long it would be before he started rocking the boat. He's a very good player, but who starts is the coach's call not his. Sometimes teams are better with a very good player being the 6th man.

To many players today have Mags attitude. Why they talk to the press instead of the coach is beyond me. If he did talk to the coach before talking to the press his action is even more reprehensible.

I thought Mags would be a good trade for Ron from the standpoint of getting something worthwhile for Ron, but I didn't really want him. As is I think we made out like a mouse in a cheese factory. Not only is Peja a better player, but he has a great attitude! We made out!

The only thing I really like about Maggette more than Peja is that he plays the 2 well. Also, he has a LONG contract.

Knucklehead Warrior
03-25-2006, 01:25 PM
but who starts is the coach's call not his.

Try telling that to iverson. :laugh: :D :laugh: :laugh:

sweabs
03-25-2006, 01:27 PM
If I recall correctly, Maggette was complaining near the start of the year about playing time and coming off the bench as well.

I'm happy with Peja instead.

Eindar
03-25-2006, 01:28 PM
The only thing I really like about Maggette more than Peja is that he plays the 2 well. Also, he has a LONG contract.

I think this is important. Maggette plays SG, which makes Jax expendable, or at the worst, allows us to make him the backup at 2 and 3, which is where he belongs. He's got a longer contract, which means no clamoring for 10 million per season for a while. Most importantly, however, is the fact that he won't compete with Danny Granger for minutes at Small Forward. This team has some sort of obsession with log jams at SF, and recently, PG, and it makes me sick. I want a balanced roster next year, and I don't care if we have to blow up the team to do it :(

SoupIsGood
03-25-2006, 01:36 PM
I'd prolly rather have Mags

sweabs
03-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Ah - here's what I was looking for. Not the type of player that we need at this point. Peja and Jackson have surprisingly worked out well. I can just imagine a duo of Maggette and Jackson...not to mention JO as the third wheel.

This one was from November 15, 2005:
__________________________________________________ ______________

Maggette: "I Ain't No Sixth Man"
15th November, 2005 - 12:40 pm
Link (http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/37943/20051115/maggette_i_aint_no_sixth_man/)

LA Times - Asked how he felt about his role as sixth man, Corey Maggette made clear Monday during a post-practice interview that he didn't care for the question.

"I ain't no sixth man," he interrupted, emphatically.

Maggette, the Clippers' leading scorer the last two seasons, has come off the bench in each of the three games in which he has played since returning from a hamstring injury suffered during the preseason.

Coach Mike Dunleavy, on the advice of the team's medical staff, has been bringing the forward along slowly, increasing his playing time by a few minutes each game.

PacerMan
03-25-2006, 01:44 PM
I think this is important. Maggette plays SG, which makes Jax expendable, or at the worst, allows us to make him the backup at 2 and 3, which is where he belongs. He's got a longer contract, which means no clamoring for 10 million per season for a while. Most importantly, however, is the fact that he won't compete with Danny Granger for minutes at Small Forward. This team has some sort of obsession with log jams at SF, and recently, PG, and it makes me sick. I want a balanced roster next year, and I don't care if we have to blow up the team to do it :(

I'm with you. Though happy with Peja NOW, what if he walks? We gave Ron for NOTHING long term!
I'm definately NOT dismissing any attitude problems (!!), BUT, he would start for us. A definate upgrade at the 2. Danny starts at 3 like he NEEDS to BE. Jax backing up the 2/3 spots, very good. Significant upgrade to the team all around. Factor in his long term contract and I'd have taken Mags over Peja.

Eindar
03-25-2006, 01:44 PM
Well, Mags has a point. He isn't a 6th man. That's like us asking JO about his role as 6th man.

Also, the concern over his complaining about minutes is unneccessary, as we all know, he'd get all the minutes he wants at SG for this team.

Shade
03-25-2006, 01:46 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap/

Maggette wants to start
According to the L.A. Times, after returning form a foot injury earlier this month Clippers forward Corey Maggette says it is time he not only gets more minutes, but he wants his starting role back too.

"This is on the coach now," Maggette said Friday. "He needs to throw me in there. All this little minutes here and there it's just crazy."

Maggette missed 39 games due to the injury, and has been coming off the bench while Quinton Ross has been starting.

"It needs to change," he said. "I'm 100%. I'm ready to play. Simple as that."
-----------

Will you still feel that way if Peja walks at the end of the season?

BlueNGold
03-25-2006, 01:48 PM
I like your attitude. This team actually has 3 starting calibre SF's in Jax, Granger and Peja. Can't we find a better SG?

Here are the starters in the EC in roughly the order I would take them:

Dwayne Wade
Vince Carter
Rip Hamilton
Michael Redd
Joe Johnson
Wally Szczerbiak
Steve Francis
Larry Hughes
Caron Butler
Moe Peterson
Ben Gordon
Kyle Korver
Kareem Rush
DeShawn Stevenson

Jax is average at best on this list. When you consider his immaturity he drops further. Jax is definitely near the bottom of this list on shooting consistency. We need something better at SG to compete for a championship.

sweabs
03-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Well, Mags has a point. He isn't a 6th man. That's like us asking JO about his role as 6th man.

Also, the concern over his complaining about minutes is unneccessary, as we all know, he'd get all the minutes he wants at SG for this team.

It seems to be a common occurrence, however.

He doesn't want to be a 6th man because he is too concerned about his reputation. A 6th man has to be willing to do what is best for the team, and put personal accolades and statistics behind them. This stuff tells me that he'd rather be a starter so he can best fulfill his personal statistics and uphold a certain reputation. I never saw Ginobili question Pop when he was bringing him off the bench (and Ginobili was an all-star...something that Maggette has never been).

It just has to do with team chemistry. I honestly can't see him and Jackson working well together on the perimeter. Peja is very unselfish in his play...but Maggette's attitude is the complete opposite (and his play reflects it on many occassions).

rexnom
03-25-2006, 02:00 PM
I like your attitude. This team actually has 3 starting calibre SF's in Jax, Granger and Peja. Can't we find a better SG?

Dwayne Wade
Vince Carter
Rip Hamilton
Michael Redd
Joe Johnson
Wally Szczerbiak
Steve Francis
Larry Hughes
Caron Butler
Moe Peterson
Ben Gordon
Kyle Korver
Kareem Rush
DeShawn Stevenson

Jax is average at best on this list. When you consider his immaturity he drops further. Jax is definitely near the bottom of this list on shooting consistency. We need something better at SG to compete for a championship.

I think the problem isn't Jack but rather the fact that Danny needs minutes. When he gets them he is incredible. And the guy just never stops hustling. I see these solutions:

1.) Sign and trade Peja for a SG and play Danny at SF.
2.) Trade J.O. for a SG and play Danny at PF Shawn Marion style.
3.) Keep everyone, have Danny do the Al Harrington role (like in the last few games).
4.) Keep everyone, JO as center, Danny as PF, and Peja as SF.
5.) Keep everyone try the JO at PF with Danny and Peja at SG/SF lineup. Although the more he plays, the more I'm convinced Danny needs to be a forward and I don't think Peja can be a SG.

I think number three is the most likely, sigh.

Doug in CO
03-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Isn't this the stuff our beloved Baby Al was saying?

Bottom line: Maggs was a better deal because he had a longer contract and plays the 2. (By the way - who are these Pacers quacks and why do they still have jobs?)

Peja was a better trade IF he fits in better chemistry wise with the entire team PLUS he signs for a reasonable amount.

If he moves on - we f'd up.

rexnom
03-25-2006, 02:02 PM
It seems to be a common occurrence, however.

He doesn't want to be a 6th man because he is too concerned about his reputation. A 6th man has to be willing to do what is best for the team, and put personal accolades and statistics behind them. This stuff tells me that he'd rather be a starter so he can best fulfill his personal statistics and uphold a certain reputation. I never saw Ginobili question Pop when he was bringing him off the bench (and Ginobili was an all-star...something that Maggette has never been).

It just has to do with team chemistry. I honestly can't see him and Jackson working well together on the perimeter. Peja is very unselfish in his play...but Maggette's attitude is the complete opposite (and his play reflects it on many occassions).

The Ginobili point is great because Ginobili knew that he brought something off the bench that the Spurs didn't have. If the Clips need Maggette off the bench then shouldn't he be expected to come off of the bench? It's not like he plays poorly off of the bench.

Gamble
03-25-2006, 02:50 PM
I just want a guy happy to play a part on a winning team.
Peja seems to have the attitude everyone loves but the sf is
problematic for us. There's not much we can do expcept wait and see
what we can trade for JO,Jax,Tinsley. If nothing sounds good than I
would much rather stand Pat with Granger off the bench and resigning
Peja.

Anthem
03-25-2006, 06:47 PM
Sure would be nice to put Hulk / JO / Granger / Mags / Tins on the floor together...

Will Galen
03-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Mags is a ball hog. I was surprised the Clippers didn't sweeten the pot so they could get Ron. If they would have added Livingston the Pacers would no doubt have bit. Adding Ron to the Clippers would have made them very good, Probably even with Dallas, maybe better.

Mourning
03-25-2006, 08:07 PM

Dwayne Wade
Vince Carter
Rip Hamilton
Michael Redd
Joe Johnson
Wally Szczerbiak
Steve Francis
Larry Hughes
Caron Butler
Moe Peterson
Ben Gordon
Kyle Korver
Kareem Rush
DeShawn Stevenson

Sjax + Peja for ... ??? :-p

Mourning
03-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Sure would be nice to put Hulk / JO / Granger / Mags / Tins on the floor together...

Which would be a combined 2 or 3 games a year? :)

SoupIsGood
03-25-2006, 08:10 PM
Gimme Joe Johnson!

D-BONE
03-25-2006, 08:18 PM

Dwayne Wade
Vince Carter
Rip Hamilton
Michael Redd
Joe Johnson
Wally Szczerbiak
Steve Francis
Larry Hughes
Caron Butler
Moe Peterson
Ben Gordon
Kyle Korver
Kareem Rush
DeShawn Stevenson

Getting off topic a bit and looking at the order you'd take these guys. Wally and Francis are too high for my taste. Other than Wade, in a perfect world, I'd go for Joe Johnson.

Anyway, agreed it would be nice to get an upgrade at SG. As far as quality to lead us to a championship in players, I would add I don't think we've got anybody at PG that fits that bill either.

I like the idea (sorry can't find the post to attribute) of possibly trading JO for some perimeter players. That still leaves us (depending on Peja's status) with a front line of DG, Jeff, and DH. Young, but still formidable. Certainly have to adress depth up front then, but it might allow us to replenish some G talent quickly.

If we get stuck unable to move Jack, he could backup both 2 and 3.

bulletproof
03-25-2006, 10:02 PM
Mags is a ball hog. I was surprised the Clippers didn't sweeten the pot so they could get Ron. If they would have added Livingston the Pacers would no doubt have bit. Adding Ron to the Clippers would have made them very good, Probably even with Dallas, maybe better.

My good friend who's a Clippers' fan agrees with you.

Jermaniac
03-25-2006, 10:04 PM
If Peja doesnt re-sign with us then I will be pissed that we didnt get Corey.

rexnom
03-25-2006, 10:36 PM

The Clippers think Livingstone is the second coming of Magic. They basically traded Emeka Okafor for him...still, Ron Artest would have made them instant contenders this year...wonder if Wilcox + Maggette ever was offered.

Suaveness
03-25-2006, 11:05 PM
He needs to just shut up and play.

03-26-2006, 05:09 AM
If Peja doesnt re-sign with us then I will be pissed that we didnt get Corey.

I agree, same thoughts here. But i do think that Peja will re-sign, he said he loves this team, that he fits in very well and this is the kinda fresh new start he needed. If he would not re-sign then he would be pretty False, Peja aint famous for doing things like that. You must not forget that this is not a "Maggette" or "Artest" brain the P´s traded for, but the opposite and Peja has a very good reputation. Its a guarantee that he will stay, unless something really bothers him.

sixthman
03-26-2006, 09:55 AM
Mags is a ball hog. I was surprised the Clippers didn't sweeten the pot so they could get Ron. If they would have added Livingston the Pacers would no doubt have bit.

Will, hoping to get Livingston in that manner would have been as unrealistic as the Clips asking us to add Granger. Maybe more. Livingston is a major part of the Clips future.

PacerMan
03-26-2006, 04:00 PM
I agree, same thoughts here. But i do think that Peja will re-sign, he said he loves this team, that he fits in very well and this is the kinda fresh new start he needed. If he would not re-sign then he would be pretty False, Peja aint famous for doing things like that. You must not forget that this is not a "Maggette" or "Artest" brain the Ps traded for, but the opposite and Peja has a very good reputation. Its a guarantee that he will stay, unless something really bothers him.

Same was said about Brad Miller.

piksi
03-27-2006, 01:12 AM
Same was said about Brad Miller.

"show me the money"

RWB
03-27-2006, 01:47 PM
"show me the money"

With Bender coming off the books, Pollard either taking a big cut or let go, we'll over pay as usual.

Chest Rockwell
03-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Maggette's problem is that he needs to win the starting job back from Cuttino Mobley, who is a better defender on a team with few top notch defenders in the starting lineup. Kaman and Cassell are both way below average defensively, but provide much on the offensive side, just like Maggette. Frankly, he fits in better on the Clips' second unit, where he can play alongside better defenders like Livingston and Quentin Ross and be the first scoring option.

Mike Dunleavy is no fool. He knows that he's going to need stellar defense to win a first round match with Dallas or SA. If Maggette can raise his all around game, he'll get put back in the starting lineup, but as of right now his career is headed the same place as other stellar offensive players who can't defend well enough to start for a contender - Finley/Stackhouse/Jamison

PacerMan
03-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Isn't this the stuff our beloved Baby Al was saying?

Bottom line: Maggs was a better deal because he had a longer contract and plays the 2. (By the way - who are these Pacers quacks and why do they still have jobs?)

Peja was a better trade IF he fits in better chemistry wise with the entire team PLUS he signs for a reasonable amount.

If he moves on - we f'd up.

Don't drink the kool-aid. Al never said anything during the season or to the press. He DID want to start, and obviously that wasn't going to happen with Ron and Jermaine in front of him, so he left. We should have traded Ron THEN.

Anthem
03-27-2006, 11:01 PM
Don't drink the kool-aid. Al never said anything during the season or to the press.
Nope, he'd said it previously. Or have you forgotten the infamous D.Ham article?

Al's on the record multiple times as saying he believed he should be a starter and a #1 offensive option somewhere.

Aw Heck
04-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Maggette's injured again. This time he has a herniated disc in his back.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-cliprep13apr13,1,4639214.story?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

Eindar
04-13-2006, 04:32 PM
Maggette's injured again. This time he has a herniated disc in his back.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-cliprep13apr13,1,4639214.story?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

Good thing he wasn't playing for us when it happened, he'd be in a wheelchair with a severed spine within a couple weeks.

clownskull
04-13-2006, 05:15 PM
i'm glad we didn't get him too. i want fewer guys like him. he fits well into the "what's in it for me?" crowd. guys like ginobli are concerned about playing well in a winning environment while i believe maggette may want to win but, on his own terms.

Anthem
04-13-2006, 05:20 PM
i'm glad we didn't get him too. i want fewer guys like him. he fits well into the "what's in it for me?" crowd. guys like ginobli are concerned about playing well in a winning environment while i believe maggette may want to win but, on his own terms.
Ok, that's fair.

But at least he doesn't take minutes away from Granger.

PacerMan
04-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Nope, he'd said it previously. Or have you forgotten the infamous D.Ham article?

Al's on the record multiple times as saying he believed he should be a starter and a #1 offensive option somewhere.

Who's record? He's on DONNIE'S record as never having demanded to start, or of talking to them during the season about it.

Anthem
07-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Excellent point.